I fear starting this thread may be utterly pointless and turn into a monster, but my intentions are honest.
Lets ASSUME for the sake of this thread, that the audio critic, 10 biggest lies in audio http://theaudiocritic.com/back_issue...ritic_26_r.pdf is completely correct. What kind of system would you build. Has anyone built thier system around these parameters?
IF YOU DISAGREE AND WANT TO CONVINCE EVERYONE, PLEASE GO SOMEWHERE ELSE
given that assumption, lets make some amp and dac recommendations.
and yes that means tubes are right out...
also, if you have built your system around their information id love to hear what you have.
Again im not looking for convincing arguments one side or the other, i just want to know whats recommended ASSUMING the audio critic is totally correct
The current link to this article is:
The 10 lies are:
(1) The magic cable lie: Rational response - use good grade commodity cables in conventional configurations
(2) The vacuum tube lie: Rational response - put that vacuum tube gear into a museum where it belongs
(3) The antidigital lie; Rational response - digital is endemic and that is the good news. Enjoy.
(4) The listening test lie: Rational response - base purchase decisions on rational listening tests, not traditional audiophile casual listening evaluations.
(5) The feedback lie: Rational response - avoid new gear based on anti-scientific ca- 1920s technology. See item (2)
(6) The break in-lie: Rational response: Buy new gear and enjoy it immediately
(7) The biwiring lie: Rational response - see item (1).
(8) The power conditioner lie: Rational response - unless you have really crazy power (checks bad with test equipment) at your location, let your equipment do its job, unassisted.
(9) The CD treatment lie: Rational response - keep them clean and free of foreign materials. Rip to file server ASAP.
(10) The golden ear lie: Rational resoponse - see item (4)
5 Newer lies:
(11) Passive biamping lie: Rational response - see item (1)
(12) Lossy encoding lie: Rational response - see item (4)
(13) High Resolution Audio lie: Rational response - see item (4)
(14) NOS DAC lie: Rational response - see item (4)
(15) Network and USB lies of all kinds - see item (4)
Here is my primary system which is 100% in conformance with above:
ca. $100 Panasonic BD player with LAN and HDMI interface
Arris 6-tuner DVR rented from cable company for excessive monthly charge (ca. $20).
Self-built PC Clone with 8 GB RAM, 8-core AMD CPU, zero fan power supply, Massive slow-fan CPU cooler, and 4 x 512 GB SSD in RAID-5 array running Win 7.1 Pro. Various Video and pro audio interfaces. Heavy use of on-board audio interface and on-video card HDMI interfaces. 4 DVD drives for low-wait ripping.
System integration and control:
Mid-end Denon AVR-1913 driving self-engineered speaker simulators for active main speakers. Using inbult bass management and Audyssey system optimization. LAN interface
Paradigm and Cambridge Soundworks 12" subwoofers driven by Behringer analog parametric equalizers
JBL Pro LSR-300 mains
Edited by arnyk - 6/15/15 at 5:03am