Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference - Page 2

post #16 of 822
OP, to prove your point you will have to have a meet with all types of gear, Hi-end, mid-fi, entry level. Cables like from Cardas, Oyaide, Nordost and maybe throw Acrolink in there besides a stock cable. Then have a group not knowing what you are using see if they make a difference? With all the meets I have put together more often then not Cables did make a difference. There are a few exceptions That is another thread though. This gives the Idea though how to do it? Oh Yeah, post the results.
post #17 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post

How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference

On another forum, I believe that I am fed up with all the people saying 'this cable does it, that cable goes together only with that gear', etc. ...
You do not need to convince people when so little really matters. If it were an issue of life-and-death, or assault, or theft, then it would be different. But it is not, and their opinion has no material impact on your life if you choose it to be that way.

When you know something as a fact then freely state it if you wish. If they do not believe you then accept that their reply does not change the fact, but simply illustrates their own poor psychological disposition. It's their choice. It is not your responsibility to convince them of the facts.

The only negative is if they then continue to preach their 'sentiment and feelings' as if were indeed fact, as that may very much mislead those who follow along later searching for factual truth... and that is indeed a sad facet of human existence.
post #18 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leny View Post
The only negative is if they then continue to preach their 'sentiment and feelings' as if were indeed fact...
Indeed!

Quote:
When you know something as a fact then freely state it if you wish. If they do not believe you then accept that their reply does not change the fact, but simply illustrates their own poor psychological disposition.
Funny – the interpretation is in the mind of the reader.
.
post #19 of 822
Yes, you could not see me smile when I typed that!
post #20 of 822
I will say this - the most important attribute of an audio cable is that it is REALLY solidly constructed. I have bought more than just a few cables (several of which were "high-end") that had intermittent connections, or other issues. My #1 most important cable requirement - rock solid build quality. The rest is just window dressing.

In my experience, it's been the mid-priced cables generally that achieve this the best. But some lower-bottom priced cables (like the Iron Lung Jellyfish power cable) have also been very impressive in this regard.

Give me a reliable cable over a "designer" cable any day of the week.
post #21 of 822
Thread Starter 
^^ Ditto. Build quality is on the top of my list.
But not theirs. They want 99.99% silver, extruded, Teflon-coated, alien-braided, double-shielded, caressed by the Dalai Lama kind of cable.
post #22 of 822
Why do you have such a passion to tell others how to value their money? Some use cost as stature in a system, who's to judge?

The listener.
post #23 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
^^ Ditto. Build quality is on the top of my list.
But not theirs. They want 99.99% silver, extruded, Teflon-coated, alien-braided, double-shielded, caressed by the Dalai Lama kind of cable.
nice!

so could someone list some of these "rock solid but cheap" cables.
post #24 of 822
I don't even need the cables to be incredibly made. I'm not going bungee jumping with them or throwing them off a building. For the most part they'll be connected to components on a rack their entire lives. $3 cables do this well enough for me.
post #25 of 822
First, convince yourself of your own ideas and become truly secure and satisfied with your world view. Now, you won't feel a pressing need to spread the gospel to the "masses". Presto! Less annoyances and abrasion all around!

post #26 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
Why do you have such a passion to tell others how to value their money? Some use cost as stature in a system, who's to judge?

The listener.
If you honestly believe that people are mistaken in what they do, then you really should make an effort to correct them. It's not a matter of trying to boss other people around; it's trying to make sure they don't make what you honestly believe is a mistake.

I mean hell, if I saw some people taking medicine recently proven to be fake and ineffective, I'd make it my duty to get them off that stuff and onto something that works. Same principle here, though the whole "cable" thing is still in conflict as to its validity to the general population here.
post #27 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot View Post
If you honestly believe that people are mistaken in what they do, then you really should make an effort to correct them. It's not a matter of trying to boss other people around; it's trying to make sure they don't make what you honestly believe is a mistake.

I mean hell, if I saw some people taking medicine recently proven to be fake and ineffective, I'd make it my duty to get them off that stuff and onto something that works. Same principle here, though the whole "cable" thing is still in conflict as to its validity to the general population here.
And if you believe they work and wish to discuss them with others, should it be argued at every mention? Will you save the willing?

It's all subjective to the listener. I'm glad I discovered these answers on my own instead of listening to the loudest piper.
post #28 of 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
On another forum, I believe that I am fed up with all the people saying 'this cable does it, that cable goes together only with that gear', etc.
I believe we are clear on the point that audio cables, whether interconnects, headphone cables or power cables, DO NOT change anything (unless, of course, very poor shielding or extremely high resistance). The whole thing is that a lot of people over 'there' are quite convinced that they, indeed, do.
bless your ignorant soul, gl with your crusade it will be a long battle you will never win
post #29 of 822
Personally, I'm still in conflict with the matter since I haven't tested it myself, but if I had tested it, and felt that it didn't make a difference, no, I wouldn't save the willing
post #30 of 822

YEP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post
And if you believe they work and wish to discuss them with others, should it be argued at every mention? Will you save the willing?

It's all subjective to the listener. I'm glad I discovered these answers on my own instead of listening to the loudest piper.
INDEED HC, One Question about that "PIPER", What TUBES does he use???signed, the upgrade cable Believer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Science
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Sound Science › How do I convince people that audio cables DO NOT make a difference