Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Just ordered me a pair of the ATH-CM700Ti
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just ordered me a pair of the ATH-CM700Ti

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
They should arrive in the mail in about ten days I expect, and I'll definitely write up a review or at least my impressions when I receive them. I'm hoping that their supposedly enormous soundstage and sparkly highs will make them an adequate replacement for when the trusty ATH-AD900 is too big to carry around. If nothing else, they'll certainly look pretty

Anyone here currently own and use this pair of phones? How do you like them, in general? They're going to be my first earbuds, ever, and I'm a little nervous about how comfortable they will fit in my ear. Any comments on this? Or suggestions for how to facilitate getting used to them (or earbuds in general?) I've heard there are special foam tips worth investing in, at least. Hopefully I won't need em!

FWIW, I purchased them for $109 here,
Amazon.com: Titanium Earbud Headphone: Electronics

I figure at that price, they wouldn't be fakes.

...Oh god I hope they are the real deal.
post #2 of 17
Deleted
post #3 of 17
The OP has ordered earbuds, not IEMs.
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopPop View Post
The OP has ordered earbuds, not IEMs.
I am having a bad night ... sorry about that. I'll delete it if I can.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridleyguy View Post
I am having a bad night ... sorry about that. I'll delete it if I can.
Just didn't want him/her ordering something he/she won't be able to use, that's all.

Hope your night goes better!
post #6 of 17
I have these and they are easily among the best sounding earbuds I've heard. Of course no isolation whatsoever. A bit hard to keep them in my ears when on the move, because of their weight and rather long handles, but apart from that they're great.
post #7 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridleyguy View Post
I am having a bad night ... sorry about that. I'll delete it if I can.
No problem, no harm done

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
I have these and they are easily among the best sounding earbuds I've heard. Of course no isolation whatsoever. A bit hard to keep them in my ears when on the move, because of their weight and rather long handles, but apart from that they're great.
Ah, so I guess going for a jog with them is out of the question? Maybe I could run a piece of scotch tape over them and across my ear canal...

How about going for a simple walk, though? Or is it always tricky when you're mobile?

EDIT: How easy are they to drive, by the way? Do you use an amp?
post #8 of 17
Walk should not be a problem, plus you can always use a shirt clip. An amp is not necessary, though they do sound a bit tighter when amped.
post #9 of 17
I own the CM700 which is the same size and drivers, just different casing.

They sound great but lack bass. This is mainly because of the large diameter of the headphones. I have small ears and I do not find it hard to keep in my ears. But I do not get meaty bass because of this. It's decently punchy however.
post #10 of 17
Thread Starter 
If their sound signature is anything like the AD700 or AD900 though, then I expect it doesn't have so much to do with a flaw in the driver shape as it does simply the intended design. Lack of bass is a big factor in my purchasing these phones, since I often feel that bass presence, even when it's accurate and fast, steals my attention away from the other parts of music that are more important to me (typically, highs and soundstage). I'm not saying that phones with powerful, rich bass can't extend the treble well, or provide spacious sound dimensionality, but rather that, even when everything on the spectrum is produced to a tee, I would prefer for there to be less emphasis on mids and lows than on highs.

TL;DR - I like my phones lean, bright, and clear at all costs

Thank you all for your responses, though! The more I read, the more excited I become
post #11 of 17
I just sold the CM700 a couple of weeks ago, but I have to say that they do some things better than almost any other headphone I've heard to date, like imaging/soundstaging and speed. These things are fast - really fast. They could handle the most complex music in my collection with no problems whatsoever. The soundstage is also better than on any full sized headphone I've heard so far, except for the HD800 (I haven't heard ATH full sized open cans though). I eventually sold them because they are not suitable for noisy environment and because getting a good fit with them was really hard for me.
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Yeah, I'm really anxious to find out how well they fit my ears!

Well, since I have never tried earbuds before, I somewhat expect it will feel awkward and uncomfortable for the first few days, or maybe for a week or so. Hopefully, my ears will eventually tolerate having a round piece of titanium in each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post
I eventually sold them because they are not suitable for noisy environment and because getting a good fit with them was really hard for me.
Did you ever try buying additional foam or rubber tips for them? Also, would you say that the fit was equally difficult, whether they had foam on them or not? And one more question: when you say the fit wasn't good, do you mean that they just felt uncomfortable, or that it was hard to position them in order to get their "full sound in your ear?" Like, I know when I've tried IEM's, it would take me a lot of trial and error until I could get them positioned properly for a good seal. Is it a similar ordeal with these earbuds?
post #13 of 17
I don't mean to thread jack. Which one does have more treble, CM700 or EC700? Just maybe, when CM700 doesn't fit well (EC700 has a hook, so it doesn't fall off), the OP can have another choice.
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinedon View Post
Did you ever try buying additional foam or rubber tips for them? Also, would you say that the fit was equally difficult, whether they had foam on them or not? And one more question: when you say the fit wasn't good, do you mean that they just felt uncomfortable, or that it was hard to position them in order to get their "full sound in your ear?" Like, I know when I've tried IEM's, it would take me a lot of trial and error until I could get them positioned properly for a good seal. Is it a similar ordeal with these earbuds?
The CM700 only fit my ears with foams on. Without foams, they fell out. Comfort was good, but it was hard to position them in my ear to get the full sound because of long, heavy casing. The earbuds kept on slipping out of position. I was not too bothered by this actually, but since I find IEMs fit me far better, plus provide much better isolation and can sound great too, I eventually stopped using the CM700 and sold them.
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by david1978jp View Post
I don't mean to thread jack. Which one does have more treble, CM700 or EC700? Just maybe, when CM700 doesn't fit well (EC700 has a hook, so it doesn't fall off), the OP can have another choice.
You are a godsend for this post.

On account of Pianist's comments regarding comfort issues, as well as some research on the EC700ti, I've canceled my order of the CM700ti and opted instead with the former . Apparently, the drivers in both pairs are very similar in sound signature (if not exactly the same in design, though don't quote me on this wishful thinking), and so hopefully I will be possession of something like the cm700ti but with much more ergonomic stability.

The only immediate downside is that while I snagged the CM700ti for ~$130, the EC700ti cost a whopping $200 since audiocubes seems like the only reputable dealer around online. Which at least gives me piece of mind that they won't be fakes.

Well, I will be back with impressions, and potentially a proper review in some time (maybe a new thread for that). Thank you again for the suggestion david, you probably saved me a lot of frustration.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Just ordered me a pair of the ATH-CM700Ti