Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD800 Review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD800 Review - Page 2

post #16 of 56

Great write up!

Great write up and you pretty much hit all the points I love about the HD800s! Among the top 1 or 2 headphones I've ever heard.

Well done!
post #17 of 56
I've got jumbos. I find they take more away from the ms-pros then what they add.

For me, I lose alot of that "grado energy" that makes them such entertaining headphones.

Mind you I havent done the distancer mod.
post #18 of 56
Well I guess I won't be getting jumbos then [cbf with distancer mod]
post #19 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henerenry View Post
Did you test the headphones with games? I find its actually a great test for imaging and positioning. One of the reasons my ms-pros get so little head time these days.
I didn't I'm afraid, I don't do much gaming anymore. The only 'phones I've heard that have comparable imaging though is the K1000, O2, and SA5000. The K1000 is simply better all-round for imaging and soundstage. The O2/SA5000 have more precise imaging, but by the same token their soundstages are smaller, leaving less room to work with and creating less of a 3D enveloping effect.
post #20 of 56
covenant, thanks for the great review. In fact i am very tempted to go in the "neutral" path to compliment my D5000 and RS1. anyway,I am really aiming at the T1 but at first I was lookiing at the HD800 but got scared of the too energetic treble and too little bass (from head fiers' opinions). how did you find the bass and treble on the HD800? especially the treble.

I got the chance to audition them once but it was a quick listen and with not the best setup to say the least.
post #21 of 56
^ listening side by side from the same system, HD800 has no claimed "hot treble" or "light bass" at all comparing to T1. In fact I found T1's treble is a tad hotter than HD800. Don't get me wrong, T1 is awesome otherwise I wouldn't buy and have kept it. But overall HD800 sound a tad better.


to OP: great review indeed! I found only other can that sounds close to HD800 is HE60. For dynamic cans, I haven't heard any that is better than HD800.
post #22 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast View Post
^ listening side by side from the same system, HD800 has no claimed "hot treble" or "light bass" at all comparing to T1. In fact I found T1's treble is a tad hotter than HD800. Don't get me wrong, T1 is awesome otherwise I wouldn't buy and have kept it. But overall HD800 sound a tad better.
.
thanks. I guess it also depends on the rest of the system.
post #23 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
how did you find the bass and treble on the HD800? especially the treble.
Hey plonter. The treble on HD800 doesn't seem too energetic to me, and I'm fairly sensitive to an overly-hot treble too. K701 has a bit too much shimmer for my taste, and HD600 is a bit too rolled off. HD800 is nice and extended without being overly emphasized. That being said, if you like rolled off/mellow treble, you probably won't like the HD800 unless you pair it with a really warm tube amp or somesuch.

Bass on HD800 is much better than I was lead to believe, actually. Common oppinion seems to be that the HD800 is a bit polite in the bass, but I don't find that to be the case. SA5000 was too polite for me, certainly, but HD800 can reproduce slam with conviction. I wouldn't call it a basshead can though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast
to OP: great review indeed! I found only other can that sounds close to HD800 is HE60. For dynamic cans, I haven't heard any that is better than HD800.
Thanks ast HD800 does sound alot like a dynamic version of the HE60, doesn't it? I've only heard HE60 once, out of a Woo GES, and it was mighty impressive. Simply being electrostatic would put it on another level speed-wise though methinks.
post #24 of 56
WHOA... that’s a good write up and definitely deserves it’s own thread, whoever suggested otherwise needs a good hard kick

All I can say is you’ve nailed it...

... the only other high end headphones that I’ve had extensive time with is the K1000’s both bass heavy and light versions. I really love these phones, they get imaging and soundstage so convincingly right.
The HD800’s for me have a better overall balance and are able to cope better with a wider choice of musical genre.

One other thing has struck me from this review, your musical taste is quite different from mine and yet our taste in headphone gear at least from the last couple of meets is practically the same. I only have one conclusion from this, the HD800’s are neutral and transparent to source

Congrats Jason, great review.
post #25 of 56
Any Melbournians with the HD800 who would like to do a 'side by side' with the T1? :-)
post #26 of 56
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmclean View Post
One other thing has struck me from this review, your musical taste is quite different from mine and yet our taste in headphone gear at least from the last couple of meets is practically the same. I only have one conclusion from this, the HD800’s are neutral and transparent to source

Congrats Jason, great review.
You mean you don't like Shpongle? With track titles along the lines of "My head feels like a frisbee", how can anyone possibly dislike them?

Thanks John. Yeah, it seems neutrality with a good, musical source is the ticket. Otherwise you end up back in one-trick-pony land, and get a system that can do one thing extremely well, and everything else merely good.

The thing that I've always loved about the HD600 is that it has no glaring faults. Sure, it's not the fastest can, nor the most resolving, nor the most extended, nor even the most fun. But it can do everything well, if not exceptionally. HD800 seems to be built on a similar principle, but with the bar raised much higher.
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
Any Melbournians with the HD800 who would like to do a 'side by side' with the T1? :-)
I will also like to have this comparison,of heavn't been made already.
post #28 of 56
Very nice review, really enjoyed it...but i cannot understand HD800 with rock and metal...I thought it was a bad HP for that genre when I heard it many times...I guess we all hear different
post #29 of 56
Track 8 Dante's Prayer off Loreena McKennitt’s The Book of Secrets, there’s a choral section before Loreena starts singing which is incredible, it’s amongst a handful of the best recordings around. The tracks a departure from the rest of the album, as this is clearly a church setting as opposed to studio. I had an OMG moment with this piece of music last night, the HD800’s does it so much justice.

Sorry back to topic...
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwmclean View Post
Track 8 Dante's Prayer off Loreena McKennitt’s The Book of Secrets, there’s a choral section before Loreena starts singing which is incredible, it’s amongst a handful of the best recordings around. The tracks a departure from the rest of the album, as this is clearly a church setting as opposed to studio. I had an OMG moment with this piece of music last night, the HD800’s does it so much justice.

Sorry back to topic...
It is Eastern Christian liturgical music... unbelievably beautiful.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD800 Review