Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone - Page 2

post #16 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racio View Post
Spec-wise, it seems identical to the current HE-5. Makes me more anxious to know what sets apart this LE version from the current production.
Maybe the LE version will actually have some bass.
post #17 of 1911
The highs on the HE-5 are already good, for me the problems was with the bass and the instrument separation, dynamic and the imaging.
post #18 of 1911
Oh well, sorry for that, had my sarcasm sensor turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
It was sarcasm. Recordings, in theory, could go to above 60 kHz, but microphones that are used in studios can't pick up those frequencies anyway, and electronic music doesn't make the harmonics go up that high.
post #19 of 1911
Oh my, next cans on my list. I hope they addressed the minor issues I had with the HE-5s.
post #20 of 1911
hopefully reviews will be out soon
post #21 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich View Post
Maybe the LE version will actually have some bass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
The highs on the HE-5 are already good, for me the problems was with the bass and the instrument separation, dynamic and the imaging.
X2 on the bass & dynamics
post #22 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
It was sarcasm. Recordings, in theory, could go to above 60 kHz, but microphones that are used in studios can't pick up those frequencies anyway, and electronic music doesn't make the harmonics go up that high.
The 60 Khz is to insure smooth highs in any high resolution format. BTW some mics go up to 40Khz.
post #23 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
The 60 Khz is to insure smooth highs in any high resolution format. BTW some mics go up to 40Khz.
What? I get the point that a headphone that can produce up to 60 kHz is also probably pretty good at 16 kHz. However, going to 60 kHz in and of itself doesn't mean anything. Being able to go up to 60 kHz isn't what makes "smooth highs in any high resolution format." Being really good from 4kHz to 20 kHz is what does that.

Also, specialist mics go up to 40 kHz, but not really anything people actually record with. It would shock most people here that 99% of the music they listen to is recorded with microphones that are only rated to 16 kHz.
post #24 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjrabon View Post
What? I get the point that a headphone that can produce up to 60 kHz is also probably pretty good at 16 kHz.
Yes, as I said... this will help with the 16Khz and above, as well better resolution and the overall sound will be much more smooth.
post #25 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
Yes, as I said... this will help with the 16Khz and above, as well better resolution and the overall sound will be much more smooth.
I think his point is that going up to 60khz alone is useless. Better to have a phone that goes up to 20khz and does it really well than one that goes up to 60khz and doesn't do the highs in the audible frequencies well. He preceded that statement by saying that a phone going up to 60khz is probably good at 20khz, but not necessarily. Probably no better than one extended to 50khz.

Also, according to the Spec page, doesn't the HE-5 already extend to 60khz? So there's no changes with extension anyway.

By the way, the HE-5 and EF5 are on my list for a future purchase. If this thing betters the old version, I'll have my next purchase scoped out well before I even want to upgrade. Awesome.
post #26 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Injury View Post
I think his point is that going up to 60khz alone is useless. Better to have a phone that goes up to 20khz and does it really well than one that goes up to 60khz and doesn't do the highs in the audible frequencies well. He preceded that statement by saying that a phone going up to 60khz is probably good at 20khz, but not necessarily. Probably no better than one extended to 50khz.

Also, according to the Spec page, doesn't the HE-5 already extend to 60khz? So there's no changes with extension anyway.

By the way, the HE-5 and EF5 are on my list for a future purchase. If this thing betters the old version, I'll have my next purchase scoped out well before I even want to upgrade. Awesome.
Dude, have you listened to the HE-5?
post #27 of 1911
If it has toned down treble, I am definitely interested.
post #28 of 1911
Would be interested to hear one if

1> It isn't sibilant
2> Good low freq extension and control
post #29 of 1911
x2
post #30 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post
You built a new amp just for the possibility of a new ortho to emerge? How about a picture and specification of that? (while waiting for the pictures of the new ortho...)

This is the amp I brought to the recent NorCal meet. Plenty of pictures in the meet impression thread. Basically it's a simple two stage, zero feedback, SET using a triode connected Western Electric 418a to drive a Russian GM70 via an interstage transformer. Output is via an Electra-Print 5k:32 transformer. The GM70 is run at a relatively low 550V@60ma. Sort of my interpretation of the Japanese "Sakuma style". Power supply is a dual mercury rectified, LCLC filtered "brute force". Power out right now is about 6 watts. Probably capable of three times this if the B+ is cranked up.

The HE-5 loves the power and the smooth DHT sonic signature. I think almost everyone here underpowers these headphones. The EF-5 is a good place to start, but there's room to scale up. I treat it like a K-1000.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone