Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone - Page 96

post #1426 of 1911

My first and only planar is a Fostex T50RP,  I like it from the midrange down,  but the upper midrange and treble is closed in an a tad sufficated.   Was considering the HE5LE since it is an open design.   Does it retain the rich midrange and rhythm section,  or should I give more time tweaking the fostex?  My amp is an O2,  but I can build a sansui type mosfet output amp if needed.

post #1427 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post



That bit of meat is worth 100 grams.  Must be more comfortable (or less uncomfortable) to wear than the heavier HE-500s?



You don't notice it, it's dispersed quite evenly on the head.. I totally forgot there even was a massive weight difference until you brought it up actually..

 

 

post #1428 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post

My first and only planar is a Fostex T50RP,  I like it from the midrange down,  but the upper midrange and treble is closed in an a tad sufficated.   Was considering the HE5LE since it is an open design.   Does it retain the rich midrange and rhythm section,  or should I give more time tweaking the fostex?  My amp is an O2,  but I can build a sansui type mosfet output amp if needed.


Before you open up the cups on your Fostex again, I'd consider some source of EQ to be applied.  See if a small amount of EQ can't resolve what it is that you're desiring to achieve.  It's quite possible to get the T50 "there" some a few EQ adjustments that simply adjusting the modifications in the headphones itself, can't be done anymore - to a point.

 

The HE-5LEs is a completely different beast altogether.  Some reviews note the mid-range can be a big weakened, but I've been sufficiently happy with mine in that regard. Instrument separation and soundstage is where the HE-5LE really shines.  Believe me, I like my Fostex T50RPs that have been modified.  In fact, I love them for what I use them for.  However, when I'm able to get a time to sit down and really chill with my HE-5LEs, is where the fun really begins.

 

Enjoy!

 

post #1429 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post


Before you open up the cups on your Fostex again, I'd consider some source of EQ to be applied.  See if a small amount of EQ can't resolve what it is that you're desiring to achieve.  It's quite possible to get the T50 "there" some a few EQ adjustments that simply adjusting the modifications in the headphones itself, can't be done anymore - to a point.

 

The HE-5LEs is a completely different beast altogether.  Some reviews note the mid-range can be a big weakened, but I've been sufficiently happy with mine in that regard. Instrument separation and soundstage is where the HE-5LE really shines.  Believe me, I like my Fostex T50RPs that have been modified.  In fact, I love them for what I use them for.  However, when I'm able to get a time to sit down and really chill with my HE-5LEs, is where the fun really begins.

 

Enjoy!

 



Thanks for the tip,  I have Izotope Ozone for eq.   But it seems the fostex are just too held back by the closed back design for my tastes.  Do any of the Hifiman models have the thick intimate midrange like the foste but open backed to breathe?

 

post #1430 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post



You don't notice it, it's dispersed quite evenly on the head.. I totally forgot there even was a massive weight difference until you brought it up actually..

 

 



How about fit compared to the HE-500?  Some people with smaller heads have needed to add extra foam to the inside of the HE500 headband.  Is the 5LE the same size headband?  Thanks.

post #1431 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFood View Post



How about fit compared to the HE-500?  Some people with smaller heads have needed to add extra foam to the inside of the HE500 headband.  Is the 5LE the same size headband?  Thanks.



The HE-500 I got was in worse condition than the HE-5LE, but the HE-5LE was more comfortable because it felt more broken in. It's a Grado style headband up top so it's bendable to the shape of your head. So you're the person who's in charge of making sure it's comfortable!

 

It's not any harder to wear than your average Sennheiser and it doesn't leave any sore spots on your head. I gotta wear it a little more loose since I gots spikey hair half the time.

post #1432 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post



Thanks for the tip,  I have Izotope Ozone for eq.   But it seems the fostex are just too held back by the closed back design for my tastes.  Do any of the Hifiman models have the thick intimate midrange like the foste but open backed to breathe?

 


I wouldn't claim that any HifiMAN has the thick mid-range of the Fostex, because that could be awfully unique to the more closed design.  However, the mid-range is still fine, actually, mighty fine.  What they might shift off in mid-range capability in comparison to the Fostex, the other great things that they can do will really more than make up for the difference.  You'll have a better balanced can with the HifiMAN - and, instead of taking them apart to apply various tweaks, you'll just be able to enjoy them as-is.  Though, I still like tweaking with my Fostex, it's great to have the HifiMAN knowing that they can remain assembled unless any maintenance needs to be performed.

 

post #1433 of 1911

Is the HE-500 TOO balanced for some of you guys?  The mids are where they shine but I think I honestly got used to the level of sound quality I'm at..

 

Quick, somebody throw me their Pro 900 for contrast. 

post #1434 of 1911

Not too balanced, but it's the roll offs that bothered me while I had it.  

 

And I miss my 5LE's sorely.  That's why I hang around this thread.  

post #1435 of 1911

Bass roll off?

 

I guess it won't be too long before they update the 5LE because it's been around for a while now.  That's a complete guess but it's enough to stop me from placing an order..

post #1436 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Not too balanced, but it's the roll offs that bothered me while I had it.  

 

And I miss my 5LE's sorely.  That's why I hang around this thread.  


Let me just say, I almost sold mine.  I thought for a while about selling my HE-5LEs and then upgrading (or moving across?) to the HE-500s.  However, when I carefully scrutinized that I'd have to spend $250 - $300 more to get to the 500s, I decided to remove my listing.  Sure, the HE-500s might be a bit better.  However, if I don't listen to them and stick with my HE-5LEs, I'll be none the wiser.  wink.gif

post #1437 of 1911

Quote:

Originally Posted by wje View Post


Let me just say, I almost sold mine.  I thought for a while about selling my HE-5LEs and then upgrading (or moving across?) to the HE-500s.  However, when I carefully scrutinized that I'd have to spend $250 - $300 more to get to the 500s, I decided to remove my listing.  Sure, the HE-500s might be a bit better.  However, if I don't listen to them and stick with my HE-5LEs, I'll be none the wiser.  wink.gif


Good strategy.  =]

 

It's a question of amps I'd say, if you already have an amp for the 5LE's, like you said, it's not worth the sidegrade to the HE-500s.  If you don't, and have yet to buy one of them, then the 500s might be the ticket being the most flexible of the two.

post #1438 of 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

Quote:


Good strategy.  =]

 

It's a question of amps I'd say, if you already have an amp for the 5LE's, like you said, it's not worth the sidegrade to the HE-500s.  If you don't, and have yet to buy one of them, then the 500s might be the ticket being the most flexible of the two.


You guys are making me feel a lot better about not having the HE-500's.  tongue.gif

 

I had read about how much better the 500's were and at the time I thought my 5LE's a bit hot in the highs and a little light in the bass.  But I hesitated like wje since it was at least a $200 upgrade if I were to sell and get used 500's.

 

Since then I found some options (NFB-12 HP out or a newly acquired vintage Yamaha CR-220 with speaker taps) that really help in the highs/lows and let me enjoy the 5LE's in all their glory.  Based on this, I had concluded that I wouldn't upgrade unless I found a screaming deal on the 500's.  These additional comments that it's a sidegrade or 5LE may even be preferable make me glad I started with the cheaper 5LE's and reconsider whether I would "upgrade" even if I did find a good deal.  In fact, I'm strongly considering selling my EF5 as well since I'm happy with my two other options.  

 

The CR-220 is only 15W/ch, but I can only turn it up a couple of levels before it's more than loud enough - and it was only $35 locally with another $20 for the speaker taps. (BTW, thanks to wje for advice that the 15W would be more than enough.)  So even if you're starting without an amp, I think you can get by with a viable and nice sounding amp option (though not necessarily portable) for a lot less $ than you'd think.

 

 

post #1439 of 1911

Captouch,

 

That is awesome!  Glad you picked the Yammy.  Was yours black or silver?  When you indicated the model number, I did some searching on it and realized both colors were available.  With my Yamaha gear, I leave the Bass and Treble in the flat settings.  I only adjust the variable loudness control based on the genre or artist that I'm going to listen to.  There's a lot of love for the HE-400s at the moment, which I also have.  But, when you really want to do some critical listening, the HE-5LE is where it's at.  Don't get me wrong, the HE-400s are also very good.  I was using them a bit tonight - but they need to go to HifiMAN for some chemotherapy.  The best group I can think of to test the HE-5LEs on has to be the Carolina Chocolate Drops - "Leaving Eden".  The percussion that gets revealed on the 5LEs is nothing short of stunning.  The HE-400s can play it, too, but with the HE-5LEs, the instrument separation is just ever so slightly better to make me a slight jaded.

 

Enjoy!

 

post #1440 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

Captouch,

 

That is awesome!  Glad you picked the Yammy.  Was yours black or silver?  When you indicated the model number, I did some searching on it and realized both colors were available.  With my Yamaha gear, I leave the Bass and Treble in the flat settings.  I only adjust the variable loudness control based on the genre or artist that I'm going to listen to.  There's a lot of love for the HE-400s at the moment, which I also have.  But, when you really want to do some critical listening, the HE-5LE is where it's at.  Don't get me wrong, the HE-400s are also very good.  I was using them a bit tonight - but they need to go to HifiMAN for some chemotherapy.  The best group I can think of to test the HE-5LEs on has to be the Carolina Chocolate Drops - "Leaving Eden".  The percussion that gets revealed on the 5LEs is nothing short of stunning.  The HE-400s can play it, too, but with the HE-5LEs, the instrument separation is just ever so slightly better to make me a slight jaded.

 

Enjoy!

 


Silver and in really great condition! I wouldn't prefer silver for new equipment, but I love and prefer for vintage because it seems very retro. I Deox'd it last night and just have to eventually lube the radio tuning wheel - it's extremely tight now. Not that I listen to radio on it, but still want to get it tip-top.

Changing topics - anyone using Mogami wire for their cord? The stock XLR cord is too short and thinking of having a head-fier make a 14 footer out of Mogami for me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone