Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone - Page 70

post #1036 of 1911

If you think both the HE-5LE and LCD-2 are heavy, then you should try the LCD-1. It's a tiny bit lighter than the HD580, clamps less, and sounds way better than the HD580. (Although, it doesn't have the bass response of the LCD-2. And I have still not seen a comparison LCD-1 vs HE5-LE.... mabye I missed it somewhere around here?)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Headphones are very personal things: I find the HE-5LE too heavy, and the connectors tends to get into the shoulders. To avoid that I tend to stay in unnatural position, and things get worst.

My head is small, and probably my neck is short :-)

I found the K702 very very comfortable and never had problems with the headband, so definitely it's a personal matter.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


If you think the LE is heavy, spend some quality time with the LCD-2. After that experience, the HE-5 is light as a feather.

 

PS: This "Â" thing is starting to annoy me


Edited by DefectiveAudioComponent - 8/13/10 at 2:07pm
post #1037 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post

If those had been yours, could you have done anything about the standing waves?
 


 

I think so.
 

post #1038 of 1911

Thank you debisohn and massy!

post #1039 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post



 They seem, to my ear, and with my equipment, to exhibit an upper midrange coloration that stays consistently with that headphone, regardless of the amp I drove them from.  Everything from the Schiit Asgard to the Woo WA22, to the RWA Isabella w/DAC & headphone output stage.  My brain accommodates to the coloration in a little while, and if I had no other headphones to which to listen, or live sound by which to judge, I would be pleased with them.  A very hight standard, indeed.  With all of their detail, they are not the most resolving can in the world, but I prefer their detail to any conventional can of yesteryear...HD-600, K701/702, etc. 

 

BTW, I actually think the coloration I hear is from standing waves set up in the cup in which the drivers are mounted.  That could certainly be wrong, but that's my guess.

 

Color or spectrum is the concept of relativity, and white color is not a real color. You might feel something is certain color when you get used of another color and assume it is zero color. On the other hand, I believe that your ref headphones have a lot of coloration: way too close soundstage, dark upper high and way too bright lower high.

Reply
post #1040 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post

Color or spectrum is the concept of relativity, and white color is not a real color. You might feel something is certain color when you get used of another color and assume it is zero color. On the other hand, I believe that your ref headphones have a lot of coloration: way too close soundstage, dark upper high and way too bright lower high.


With the visible spectrum of light, white is the equal combination of all primary colors.  I understand your analogy, but my reference is not merely another headphone, but real life.  I was not comparing the HE-5LE to the LCD-2, I was judging them with respect to reality.

post #1041 of 1911

Having just recently gotten my HE-5LE, I was stunned pretty much from the get-go by their realism. There's been some comparisons with the K702 in this thread, so let's start there.

 

Obviously they're going to be more refined, that's no question. They better be given the price difference. But what probably struck me most was the tonal balance. They're pretty neutral, but with a fullness and richness to the sound that I feel closely resembles reality, and greatly separates them from any cold and sterile sound that often gets characterized as neutral, such as with the K702. I did not find the K702 more resolving. If anything, the HE-5LE is able to better articulate both quiet and loud sounds equally well, so the faintest details in the background come through clear as a bell. Many people make the mistake of associating treble-happy phones as more detailed and resolving, and that simply isn't the case. On the K702, this frequency range takes the forefront, and that may be why one might call them "veiled". The simple truth is their mids are recessed compared to even the DT990 I have. Everything is pushed back into the distance, with the treble and upper midrange taking center stage, emphasizing the air and breaths of the singers and music you're listening to. It's not that the HE-5LE doesn't pick up on these, it certainly does, it just doesn't shove it in your face before everything else. The HE-5LE has much more mid presence, which aside from making them sound more forward can also appear to some to actually be less veiled than the K702, though my personal opinion is that it's simply a difference in volume. The tonal balance of the K702 makes them sound very artificial, like it's coming out of a speaker instead of striving for a lifelike quality. The HE-5LE presents music closer to how it really is, as it was recorded and mastered, while the K702 does much more projecting of its own interpretation. The HE-5LE certainly has it's own signature, and I wouldn't go straight to calling it extremely transparent. Its signature is full and smooth, liquid and a little lush. It's a very inviting sound that draws me towards them time after time just to hear them, even if I don't have a particular desire to listen to anything. To me, it's extremely seductive and addicting.

 

I immediately gravitated towards their sonic characteristic, and look forward to some possible subtle improvements over time as they get more use (and moreso when I get a new amp). I bought the K702 to service classical, jazz, bluegrass, and other instrumented stuff, and the HE-5LE swooped right in and took over their job. I literally have no use for the K702 anymore, and only keep them around because I want to hear how they'll improve with better equipment, but the HE-5LE sounds hands-down more realistic in quality and presentation, and is most at home in all the genres that the K702 is reputedly adept at. And they complement my DT990 really well too.

post #1042 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reputator View Post

Having just recently gotten my HE-5LE, I was stunned pretty much from the get-go by their realism. There's been some comparisons with the K702 in this thread, so let's start there.

 

Obviously they're going to be more refined, that's no question. They better be given the price difference. But what probably struck me most was the tonal balance. They're pretty neutral, but with a fullness and richness to the sound that I feel closely resembles reality, and greatly separates them from any cold and sterile sound that often gets characterized as neutral, such as with the K702. I did not find the K702 more resolving. If anything, the HE-5LE is able to better articulate both quiet and loud sounds equally well, so the faintest details in the background come through clear as a bell. Many people make the mistake of associating treble-happy phones as more detailed and resolving, and that simply isn't the case. On the K702, this frequency range takes the forefront, and that may be why one might call them "veiled". The simple truth is their mids are recessed compared to even the DT990 I have. Everything is pushed back into the distance, with the treble and upper midrange taking center stage, emphasizing the air and breaths of the singers and music you're listening to. It's not that the HE-5LE doesn't pick up on these, it certainly does, it just doesn't shove it in your face before everything else. The HE-5LE has much more mid presence, which aside from making them sound more forward can also appear to some to actually be less veiled than the K702, though my personal opinion is that it's simply a difference in volume. The tonal balance of the K702 makes them sound very artificial, like it's coming out of a speaker instead of striving for a lifelike quality. The HE-5LE presents music closer to how it really is, as it was recorded and mastered, while the K702 does much more projecting of its own interpretation. The HE-5LE certainly has it's own signature, and I wouldn't go straight to calling it extremely transparent. Its signature is full and smooth, liquid and a little lush. It's a very inviting sound that draws me towards them time after time just to hear them, even if I don't have a particular desire to listen to anything. To me, it's extremely seductive and addicting.

 

I immediately gravitated towards their sonic characteristic, and look forward to some possible subtle improvements over time as they get more use (and moreso when I get a new amp). I bought the K702 to service classical, jazz, bluegrass, and other instrumented stuff, and the HE-5LE swooped right in and took over their job. I literally have no use for the K702 anymore, and only keep them around because I want to hear how they'll improve with better equipment, but the HE-5LE sounds hands-down more realistic in quality and presentation, and is most at home in all the genres that the K702 is reputedly adept at. And they complement my DT990 really well too.


Nice impressions.  The HE-5 LE swooped in and took over for my HD600 and HF-2 in my bedroom rig as well. 

post #1043 of 1911
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkarth View Post




Yes, I agree, the HE-5LE is truly a good headphone.  I've been listening to a borrowed pair for the past few weeks and I like them very much.  They do benefit from a lot of power.  They seem, to my ear, and with my equipment, to exhibit an upper midrange coloration that stays consistently with that headphone, regardless of the amp I drove them from.  Everything from the Schiit Asgard to the Woo WA22, to the RWA Isabella w/DAC & headphone output stage.  My brain accommodates to the coloration in a little while, and if I had no other headphones to which to listen, or live sound by which to judge, I would be pleased with them.  A very hight standard, indeed.  With all of their detail, they are not the most resolving can in the world, but I prefer their detail to any conventional can of yesteryear...HD-600, K701/702, etc. 

Good post thats why i prefer the HE-5LE over LCD-2
 


Edited by thinker - 8/26/10 at 1:17am
post #1044 of 1911

Fang makes some nice cans. They do benefit from the most power you can feed them. The 5LE and 6 both perform better with speaker amps. The 5LE sounded good on my Matrix SS amp. Planars in general love power and the more you give them the better they seem to perform.

post #1045 of 1911

Does anyone have experience driving their HE-5LE's with an OTL amp, specifically the Woo Audio WA2?

post #1046 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddy View Post

Does anyone have experience driving their HE-5LE's with an OTL amp, specifically the Woo Audio WA2?


See Skylab's post 435 in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497004/he-6-loaner-program/420#post_6882320

 

post #1047 of 1911

>

post #1048 of 1911
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

>

 

hey, you watch yourself now ^_^

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reputator View Post


 the HE-5LE sounds hands-down more realistic in quality and presentation, and is most at home in all the genres that the K702 is reputedly adept at. And they complement my DT990 really well too.


interesting.

 

I'll keep these headphone in mind for future references. One well regarded reference and one fun headphone, life gotta be easier than that, eh Reputator?   So now i have to re-think, then de-think my thoughts on the WA2, then synchronize all those thoughts, throw them into the caldron, start from scratch and re-think about my previous thoughts about getting the transformer coupled WA6, then de-synchronize those thoughts and think about that OTL magic from the WA2 if i ever decide to stick with high impedance headphones.

 

c'mon head-fi.  Stop teasing me

 


Edited by David.M - 8/26/10 at 9:58am
post #1049 of 1911

David.M, I'm about 90% sure I'm going to pick up a pair of HE-5LE's and will be using my WA2 to drive them.  They might not be a perfect match on paper but should still be very good.  You can PM me if you'd like, as I got some input from Jack on this matter.

post #1050 of 1911

ye

 

that's the thing, on paper, The WA2 is supposed to be designed for high impedance headphones.  But there have been some reports that is works wonderful for low impedance as well. I skimmed through the Woo Audio 2 thread and some dude said that the ATH-W5000 and the WA2 amp was magic.  Some reports are even saying that it brings the K701's treble to another level.    It's just hard to believe an OTL-based design is working out for low ohm'er  cans. 

Keep us posted if you ever decide to get the HE5-LE's

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New Hifiman HE-5LE planar magnetic headphone