I also experienced similar problem, but after installing rockbox everythin is fine plus I`ve got parametric EQ :)
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Recommend a small cheap flash DAP? Last post on 8/4/11 at 5:04am in Portable Source Gear
- Best sounding smallest player? Last post on 2/1/11 at 1:33pm in Portable Source Gear
- Need a recommendation for under $150 Last post on 7/16/10 at 6:11am in Portable Source Gear
- Small, music only DAP. Last post on 7/16/10 at 6:35am in Portable Source Gear
- Seeking a new portable source Last post on 6/26/10 at 7:42am in Portable Source Gear
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Amps & Other Gear)
Last edited: 12/28/12
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
SansaClip+ Rockbox Appreciation Society - Page 53
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I just got it a couple weeks ago and don't have much music on it yet, kind of been slacking to do so. Could I reformat it and the card? Would it be that much work?
i never use dither and have never been able to tell that it does anything
as far as eq thats dependant on your headphones and your personal preference
some people like the crossfeed, some dont
everything else you can leave alone.
When I use the EQ on foobar I tend to EQ downwards....
With rockbox is it better to use precut and then use positive settings?
I dont completely understand how all these different EQ types high shelf, low shelf, peaking etc. work together and what the best settings are to avoid distortion
Edited by nicholars - 5/20/13 at 11:05am
Hmmm I am suprised at how much better the bass on the clip+ is with rockbox.... Definately better than the default firmware..
I said before the clip+ has weak bass... But it is actually pretty good now... Could have a bit more texture but it is not lacking quantity now.
Edited by nicholars - 5/20/13 at 11:58am
Things that might cause a real difference:
The pitch error in the OF.
The resampler in Rockbox if your audio file isn't 44100 Hz.
The OF apparently has dither enabled by default (OF produces a little noise with a silent file - RB only does so if dither enabled)
Gain change caused by Replay Gain being on by default in Rockbox.
The Replay Gain change is only a difference in level while the first two possibilities would be actual tonal changes. Dither might produce a slightly nicer impression in the OF that a listener might interpret in different ways.
The most likely thing is that the levels are different. I level matched my Clip+ against my other players by playing a tone into a recorder. I had trouble with Clip+ OF vs Rockbox because while I could reliably select the same level every time in Rockbox I couldn't do so easily (easily mattered because it was done out of idle curiosity) in the OF except at maximum level. But if you level match the OF and Rockbox and play 44100 Hz file with Replay Gain not effective then there ought not be a difference.
If someone knows of a reason why there would be a difference I'd welcome a correction.
Well they might sound the same and probably do like you say but with the OF it is not possible to get the bass just right so that you can have boosted sub bass without it leaking into the midbass. On rockbox I have set it up so it has the low shelf filter below 70hz boosted by 6db and then tboosted sub bass with no bleed into the mids bass... I could not achieve this with the puny 5 band EQ on the OF.... When I set the first band to anything over about 4-5db it would give bleed into the lower mids / mid bass....
Edited by nicholars - 5/20/13 at 12:55pm
- SansaClip+ Rockbox Appreciation Society
- › Portable DAP for IE80 18 seconds ago
- › Fresh outta CES: The Hifiman HE-400i and HE-560 30 seconds ago
- › New MEIER AUDIO headphone amp "CORDA CLASSIC" 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2s in Barton Perreira video campaign 2 minutes ago
- › On a mission to like jazz 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 598 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 3 minutes ago
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude