Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions - Page 239

post #3571 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post


Congrates!  I got my JH16 2 years ago.  I never regret it, it's awesome experience!!

 

beerchug.gif

I've never had CIEM's so this should be an interesting experience for me. I'm really really hoping I didn't make a $1200 mistake

post #3572 of 3700

This was my first ciem, and I doubted about this whole process plus the sound.  But for me, worth waiting and money.  I'm saving money for jh13 freqphase..

post #3573 of 3700
I have the JH16 Freqphase. I also have the Alo International and I am using a semi balanced setup that included a Balanced to 3.5mm black dragon interconnect from Moon Audio, as well as a Balanced JH cable from Chrishimself. My source is a Cowon J3. I have gripes, but they are outweighed by the pros.
Edited by MadMoxxi - 7/12/13 at 8:55pm
post #3574 of 3700

After reading so many reviews on CIEM's while researching for a my pair I could never find a JH16 review made by a musician. I know and understand that they have an amazing sound and features but no one talks about them as a musicians tool. The main reason I'm getting my pair of JH16 pro's is that I am a musician that plays on stage. I've found that I'm losing the mix in the wash of sound that is a stage, even with a floor wedge 3 feet from my ear blaring. A CIEM was originally a tool for the performer, it sucks that no one talks about the stage aspect of CIEMs.

post #3575 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winegums View Post

After reading so many reviews on CIEM's while researching for a my pair I could never find a JH16 review made by a musician. I know and understand that they have an amazing sound and features but no one talks about them as a musicians tool. The main reason I'm getting my pair of JH16 pro's is that I am a musician that plays on stage. I've found that I'm losing the mix in the wash of sound that is a stage, even with a floor wedge 3 feet from my ear blaring. A CIEM was originally a tool for the performer, it sucks that no one talks about the stage aspect of CIEMs.


There are rare reviews by musicians for other ciems. For example, a drummer did one for the Future Sonics mg6pro. For the JH line, there is a spike in the treble and while I haven't heard the new Freaqphase models, the reviews on innerfidelity state clearly that they are even brighter than previous models. The concern with this is that for stage musicians there is increased risk of hearing damage as the treble range is the most likely to be damaged. Please be careful with your ciems and don't turn them up when you use them.

post #3576 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunlun View Post


There are rare reviews by musicians for other ciems. For example, a drummer did one for the Future Sonics mg6pro. For the JH line, there is a spike in the treble and while I haven't heard the new Freaqphase models, the reviews on innerfidelity state clearly that they are even brighter than previous models. The concern with this is that for stage musicians there is increased risk of hearing damage as the treble range is the most likely to be damaged. Please be careful with your ciems and don't turn them up when you use them.
I will definitely keep that in mind when I am using my JH16 pros. I will also do my best to write a good review on what they are like from an audiophile and a musicians point of view. Hopefully it'll help some people.

Anyway.... I shouldn't high jack this thread much more.
More to say once they arrive.
post #3577 of 3700

What source gear are you guys using to drive your JH16's?

 

I've just bitten the bullet on a pair of JH16's which will be my first CIEM (upgrading from a pair of lowly SE215's!), but now I'm starting to think that my portable source rig is in need of upgrading. I currently use the SE215's unamped from my phone or tablet (Nexus 4/7), but am thinking about getting a dedicated DAP - I'm currently looking at Cowon players for their decent battery life and sound quality, even though its not really considered an audiophile DAP. However I am wondering whether it is worth getting a portable amp as well, or whether I should forget the DAP and just get an amp to run from my phone/tablet? I know the JH16's are very sensitive and easy to drive but one of my concerns with that would be the output impedance of my source as I want as little background noise as possible. 

 

Any suggestions?


Edited by DuxR - 7/15/13 at 5:30am
post #3578 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuxR View Post

What source gear are you guys using to drive your JH16's?

 

I've just bitten the bullet on a pair of JH16's which will be my first CIEM (upgrading from a pair of lowly SE215's!), but now I'm starting to think that my portable source rig is in need of upgrading. I currently use the SE215's unamped from my phone or tablet (Nexus 4/7), but am thinking about getting a dedicated DAP - I'm currently looking at Cowon players for their decent battery life and sound quality, even though its not really considered an audiophile DAP. However I am wondering whether it is worth getting a portable amp as well, or whether I should forget the DAP and just get an amp to run from my phone/tablet? I know the JH16's are very sensitive and easy to drive but one of my concerns with that would be the output impedance of my source as I want as little background noise as possible. 

 

Any suggestions?


it depends on your preference but for me warmer source like hm601 is great with the bright jh16. maybe you also may want to look at the upcoming dx50 or fiio x3 too?

post #3579 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningfarron View Post


it depends on your preference but for me warmer source like hm601 is great with the bright jh16. maybe you also may want to look at the upcoming dx50 or fiio x3 too?

 

I didn't find the JH16 bright when I listened to a demo version, but that said I do generally prefer neutral to slightly warm sound signatures, but not overly coloured. I've just taken a look at the X3 and it does seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. The DX50 looks pretty nice too but details seem pretty sparse at the moment with no reviews and not even a confirmed price/release date as far as I can see.


Edited by DuxR - 7/15/13 at 7:02am
post #3580 of 3700
freqphase jh16 is more balanced and even exceed jh13 i think
post #3581 of 3700

I disagree as I already find the jh13 slightly bass enhanced. If you read the innerfidelity multi CIEM review, you'll see that all the reviewers that heard both agree. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed JH16 is tremendous for noisy environments, stage use or for those that like it noticeably bass enhanced but the 13 is clearly more correct for normal listening. It depends on what your looking for but the 16 is in no way 'better' than the 13, just different.


Edited by goodvibes - 7/15/13 at 5:12pm
post #3582 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post

I disagree as I already find the jh13 slightly bass enhanced. If you read the innerfidelity multi CIEM review, you'll see that all the reviewers that heard both agree. http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed JH16 is tremendous for noisy environments, stage use or for those that like it noticeably bass enhanced but the 13 is clearly more correct for normal listening. It depends on what your looking for but the 16 is in no way 'better' than the 13, just different.

I'm with you on the second bolded statement - but as for the first... Just what is "normal" listening? Lol biggrin.gif

post #3583 of 3700

Normal listening....?  :)

Its all personal preference and taste, etc.

There are some out there who just like the constant, extra bass of the jh16 than the neutrality of the jh13.

I think I am one of those weirdos ksc75smile.gif

post #3584 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjkimnada View Post

Normal listening....?  :)

Its all personal preference and taste, etc.

There are some out there who just like the constant, extra bass of the jh16 than the neutrality of the jh13.

I think I am one of those weirdos ksc75smile.gif


+1

im also one of those guys that prefer the jh16 to jh13 L3000.gif.

post #3585 of 3700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I'm with you on the second bolded statement - but as for the first... Just what is "normal" listening? Lol biggrin.gif

Not on stage or in an airplane.

 

There's nothing wrong with preferring a 16 but the 13 is already bass enhanced. I'm accustomed to things like Quad, Sonus Faber Amati and Dynaudio Confidence series speakers with top electronics, and tight subs and they already have a bit less bass than 13s when setup properly. That's exactly how it should be because you still want a normalized bass when walking about or travelling when it's noisier and the bass be masked by a couple DB or more. I've also been there on recordings and mixing of commercial releases and I know what they are supposed to sound like. While I appreciate the purpose and quality of the 16, it's bass is too enhanced under the circumstances I use IEMs for me to get a proper representation. It's not about preference in that situation. I prefer a bit extra low bass in an IEM as a compromise and am already getting that in the 13. Like I said, Nothing wrong with liking it more as the 16 doesn't muck up the mids like others do but I personally find the bass a bit overwhelming for some of the things I like.

 

I listen to everything from Massive Attack and Nelly to String Quartets and Kurt Elling/Charlie Haden.


Edited by goodvibes - 7/18/13 at 8:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions