Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions - Page 235

post #3511 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Guys, I own today some weston ES3X, and I am quite pleased with them, but... I am tempted to give  the JH16 FreqPhase a try very_evil_smiley.gif.

 

-> Do you believe that it will be a substantial upgrade in sound quality ?  Especialy, can I expect a "out of the head" sound closer to a "full size headphone" soundstage ?

 

-> I am also tempted by the JH-3A/JH16 FreqPhase combo, but... now with the JH16 FreqPhase technology, does the JH-3A still bring a real advantage to the JH16 ?  Or will a high end portable amp finally be a better solution ? (I have a CEntrance HiFi-M8 ordered)

 

- If buy the JH-3A/JH16 FreqPhase combo, when I use the Adapter (8pin to 3.5mm) to use the JH16 IEM  WITHOUT the JH-3A amp , will the JH16 IEM behave exactly as a "NON Combo" JH-16 IEM ?  In other words, besides the cable/plug, is the JH16 IEM shipped with the JH-3A/JH16 FreqPhase combo the same than the JH16 IEM shipped stand alone ? 

 

- aside question : Besides the price difference, is the JH-16 always a better solution than the JH-13 or are there some musics or some situation where I will be better with a JH-13 than a JH-16 ?  (I am not a  bass head - I listen mostly to Pop, Rock, female voice, piano...)

 

thanks in advance for all your answers

 

bertrand

 

My experience says that even with the best CIEM's they will not rival top HP's for soundstage. High end CIEM's and HP's always perform best the more you pair them up with higher quality components in the chain. The JH16's will be a nice upgrade from your Westone's.

 

While I do not consider the JH16's overly bass focused, they will have a stronger low end than the JH13's according to the JH Audio site. I suspect the JH13's are similar to my ACS Custom T1's. For vocals, I do prefer the T1's to the JH16's. I cannot comment on the Freqphase advantage as I have never heard JH CIEM's without it.

 

I hope that helps!

post #3512 of 3682

My advice, don't get the JH16 if you listen to vocals and piano... They are in constant bass mode.I am using an equalizer to calm it down. 

 

If I could only go back in time I'd get the 13's....


Edited by IA64 - 5/5/13 at 1:23pm
post #3513 of 3682

OK... seems that JH13 is better for me than JH16.  thanks bigsmile_face.gif

And about the JH-3A  DAC/AMP, is it a real added value ? 

post #3514 of 3682

Now when you say that the jh16's got too much bass, I assume that is without a bass boost eq?  to be honest, I've never heard of a headphone/iem with too much bass (for me) un eq'd, even the beats.  Sounds like I'll really enjoy those jh16's!


Edited by chengsta - 5/5/13 at 1:39pm
post #3515 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

Now when you say that the jh16's got too much bass, I assume that is without a bass boost eq?  to be honest, I've never heard of a headphone/iem with too much bass (for me) un eq'd, even the beats.  Sounds like I'll really enjoy those jh16's!

 

Everything is subjective. It all depends on what you are comparing it to. 

post #3516 of 3682

I am a serious basshead and the 3A truly does improve the bass department, along with all other areas, of the jh 16. Although it brings more resolution and transparency and ability to tune the sound eq, the 3a amp brings power that no other ciem-amp combo can rival. I usually turn up the 3a bass knob ALMOST to the max and instead of pushing the bass into the mids, the amp extends the bass to the lowest registers of human hearing. IN short, if you are in for floor-shaking bass and power, then the jh16-3a seems to be the most suitable. many said in the pp6 forum that the jh3a combo comes ahead in low-end power while the pp6 comes ahead in transparency and faithful towards the original music.

post #3517 of 3682

Update :

 

After 2 weeks of owning the 16's and running it for 6 hours in average every day, the sound for some reason has become significantly better. I used to boost the upper mids and highs with most of my classical music on my phone to balance it with the bass but as of yesterday I can no longer keep the equalizer on as it gets very bright and sibilant. Indeed, the highs opened up.

 

I don't why, it's not my ears as I compared it to my other IEMs to rule out this possibility but I never believed in burn-in with BA from what people have explained and proven in the Sound Science section. Looks like it wasn't a myth from my experience, it definitely changed.

 

I'll see if things will improve even more with another 100 hours of burn-in while waiting for the Heir 8 but so far so good. 


Edited by IA64 - 5/6/13 at 3:14pm
post #3518 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA64 View Post

Update :

 

After 2 weeks of owning the 16's and running it for 6 hours in average every day, the sound for some reason has become significantly better. I used to boost the upper mids and highs with most of my classical music on my phone to balance it with the bass but as of yesterday I can no longer keep the equalizer on as it gets very bright and sibilant. Indeed, the highs opened up.

 

I don't why, it's not my ears as I compared it to my other IEMs to rule out this possibility but I never believed in burn-in with BA from what people have explained and proven in the Sound Science section. Looks like it wasn't a myth from my experience, it definitely changed.

 

I'll see if things will improve even more with another 100 hours of burn-in while waiting for the Heir 8 but so far so good. 

Do you think that the JH-3A could help to manage this "extra BASS" of the JH-16 ? 

post #3519 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA64 View Post

Update :

 

After 2 weeks of owning the 16's and running it for 6 hours in average every day, the sound for some reason has become significantly better. I used to boost the upper mids and highs with most of my classical music on my phone to balance it with the bass but as of yesterday I can no longer keep the equalizer on as it gets very bright and sibilant. Indeed, the highs opened up.

 

I don't why, it's not my ears as I compared it to my other IEMs to rule out this possibility but I never believed in burn-in with BA from what people have explained and proven in the Sound Science section. Looks like it wasn't a myth from my experience, it definitely changed.

 

I'll see if things will improve even more with another 100 hours of burn-in while waiting for the Heir 8 but so far so good. 

You may prefer the 8 but if the 16 is like the 13, break in is absolutely part of the process. Mine kept moving for some time.

post #3520 of 3682

My 8As continued changing past 50 hours of usage and it was quite noticeable to me. So I'm a  believer of both dynamic and BA burn in. But dynamic IEMs usually being more noticeable overall. But I was shocked at low much the 8A did change with that amount of usage. More than the TF10s changed that's for sure...
 

post #3521 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

Do you think that the JH-3A could help to manage this "extra BASS" of the JH-16 ? 

 

I don't have the JH-3A because it was out of stock when I ordered and had to wait 2 months to get it which did not happen.

But, my desktop DAC /AMP is definitely pumping up all the bass the 16's can deliver. I get this shivering feeling when it hits the 20-30 Hz ( basshead eargasm ) 

post #3522 of 3682

If the jh16 is driven by a proper amp (anedio d2, jh3a, etc.) then the bass it produces is very much near perfection

post #3523 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjkimnada View Post

If the jh16 is driven by a proper amp (anedio d2, jh3a, etc.) then the bass it produces is very much near perfection

 

I still find the bass of the dynamic driver somehow punchier ( more rumble )

 

 

Can anyone recommend foam sleeves compatible with customs ? some people around me want to demo my IEM before ordering. Not sure if it's possible.


Edited by IA64 - 5/6/13 at 4:53pm
post #3524 of 3682

With the fiio e11 amp, I had good bass on my xba 40's.  But when I upgraded to the JDS c5, it was brighter than the e11 (which was good for me), but the bass rumbled deeper, and louder with bass boost on.  It was unnoticeable at first, but after listening for a while, you realize that you're hearing something gigantic. It wasn't just more powerful, but made me feel it's size.  On some songs, mainly orchestral, when the subtle bass notes hit, my knees trembled because my brain told me the earth was shaking, or should be.  It wasn't loud, it was actually kinda quiet (because the bass didn't spill over to other frequencies), but huge.  I swear I almost stumbled just walking along because it messed with my equilibrium.  Never felt that with the e11.

 

Perhaps the Jh16 can bring out even more of that awesomeness.  only roughly 20 more days till i get it!

post #3525 of 3682
Quote:
Originally Posted by chengsta View Post

With the fiio e11 amp, I had good bass on my xba 40's.  But when I upgraded to the JDS c5, it was brighter than the e11 (which was good for me), but the bass rumbled deeper, and louder with bass boost on.  It was unnoticeable at first, but after listening for a while, you realize that you're hearing something gigantic. It wasn't just more powerful, but made me feel it's size.  On some songs, mainly orchestral, when the subtle bass notes hit, my knees trembled because my brain told me the earth was shaking, or should be.  It wasn't loud, it was actually kinda quiet (because the bass didn't spill over to other frequencies), but huge.  I swear I almost stumbled just walking along because it messed with my equilibrium.  Never felt that with the e11.

 

Perhaps the Jh16 can bring out even more of that awesomeness.  only roughly 20 more days till i get it!

 

Was about to press check-out and get the C5 but then I read this " 6db increase at 80 Hz " 

 

JH16 have already a 6dB boost at 50Hz as far as I remember. Not sure if it's a good match.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions