Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Nintendo announces DS successor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nintendo announces DS successor - Page 2

post #16 of 38
Not expecting much of a change with the 3DS. Many of the best DS games are still 2D with little change from the GBA other than more buttons, some higher resolution art, and the occasional special effect that's easier to render in polygons.

And really, don't see any major market changes with it either. The 3DS will continue the Gameboy tradition and dominate the market due to backwards compatiblity lock in. Nintendo will continue to pump out quality first party titles, with the occasional major third party release. Puzzle games will still dominate the sales. Crap developers will continue to flood the platform with shovelware. Niche hardcore RPG/strategy gamers will still get their fix. And Pokemon will remain a license to print money.
post #17 of 38
I hope they do improve the graphics. Currently, I like the DS games more than what the PSP currently offer. So this will be a no brainer purchase for me especially if a Zelda game is released for this one
post #18 of 38
I've always been confused as to how this nintendo gimmick is going to work.

If you're using a filter on the screen (most likely) to cause the 3D effects, you will get an stereoscopic offset (and thus significant blurring) if the screen is not parallel to your eyes.


It's like the virtual boy all over again IMVHO; I honestly expect 3D tetris and a mario game to make up the entire "3D" catalog. At least the virtual boy worked properly; I'm honestly not sure how they're going to get it done with the 3DS.


I miss the old nintendo back before mediocre console shooters like Metroid Prime and awful 3d transitions like Zelda. Mario is the only franchise they have going for them still, and even then Mario has become excessively easy; NSMBDS you never died in, and NSMBWii you had 99 lives from world 3 onwards. But apparently I'm too "old" for all this new gimmickry like auto-aim and lock-on (the only good thing nintendo have brought to the table in years).

I honestly hope it fails, just like I hope NATAL (playstation eyetoy 2.0) fails. Actually, I can guarantee the failure of NATAL, since the recommended standing distance is something like 4 metres and most people with 360s are those who could not afford a PC and a PS3 (and thus probably dont have 4 metres to work with).


Still hugely disappointed with the recent run of consoles.


edit: If they are going to use software filters to achieve the 3d effects rather than hardware (the smart way to do it), you are going to see a significant drop in performance in 3D games, possibly limiting it to, like I said earlier, a 2D mario game and tetris.

The only way I will buy this is if theres a 3D effects version of pokemon snap
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
I honestly hope it fails, just like I hope NATAL (playstation eyetoy 2.0) fails. Actually, I can guarantee the failure of NATAL, since the recommended standing distance is something like 4 metres and most people with 360s are those who could not afford a PC and a PS3 (and thus probably dont have 4 metres to work with).
i only take issue with this one paragraph, the rest of your writing is fine. What makes you think the only people with 360's are people who couldnt afford a ps3 and a pc? maybe i bought my 360 because the games were better? i could easily go buy a ps3, but the 2 or 3 exclusives that i think are worth playing really arent worth the cost of entry. Saying that 360's must be poor, and therefor dont have 4 meters of room, is misguided and naive...IMHO
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
i only take issue with this one paragraph, the rest of your writing is fine. What makes you think the only people with 360's are people who couldnt afford a ps3 and a pc? maybe i bought my 360 because the games were better? i could easily go buy a ps3, but the 2 or 3 exclusives that i think are worth playing really arent worth the cost of entry. Saying that 360's must be poor, and therefor dont have 4 meters of room, is misguided and naive...IMHO
>90% of the 360s worthwhile games are also ported to the PC. Having a gaming PC essentially makes the 360 obselete, IMVHO.

It's not that I hate the 360, its just that I honestly have no use for one since any 360 game I want to play is eventually ported to the PC or PS3
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
>90% of the 360s worthwhile games are also ported to the PC. Having a gaming PC essentially makes the 360 obselete, IMVHO.

It's not that I hate the 360, its just that I honestly have no use for one since any 360 game I want to play is eventually ported to the PC or PS3
thats true, i guess theres three reasons why i dont pc game. I prefer playing in front of my tv with my surround sound. Some of my favorites werent ported, like too human and the halo series. and third, keeping a pc gaming rig up to date is expensive, its not that i couldnt do it, i could, but i get equal enjoyment from playing those games on my 360 and it saves me loads of money

but i digress, we are mighty OT right now
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen
It's like the virtual boy all over again IMVHO; I honestly expect 3D tetris and a mario game to make up the entire "3D" catalog. At least the virtual boy worked properly; I'm honestly not sure how they're going to get it done with the 3DS.
Doubt it'll be anything like the Virtual Boy.

On the PC side, poly-based game engines have been patched to fully support active shutter 3D without much effort and basic 3D effects can be achieved with just a driver wrapper. Same should hold true if the 3DS is really going to a parallax barrier LCD. Framerate takes a ~ 50% hit either way, but no big deal if the 3DS screen stays low rez and ships with anything resembling a modern mobile GPU.

Because of that, I'd expect a lot of poly-engine games to feature some 3D effects. Just too easy to do so and it's a nice checkbox on the feature list. Nintendo first party games are likely going to be the only ones that do it consistently well though given that Nintendo hardware has been third party developer hell lately. Usability is going to be a bigger issue, but that didn't stop the Wii from moving a ridiculous number of units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
>90% of the 360s worthwhile games are also ported to the PC. Having a gaming PC essentially makes the 360 obselete, IMVHO.
Given sales, it's more like having a 360 makes the gaming PC obsolete. Been one long slide downwards for the PC ever since Halo showed that multiplayer FPS could be done well on a console.
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen View Post
>90% of the 360s worthwhile games are also ported to the PC. Having a gaming PC essentially makes the 360 obselete, IMVHO.
You have this the wrong way round.

The arrival of dedicated games consoles has significantly killed off the gaming p.c.

I hate playing games on my p.c. other than rts' but a console at the centre of the home's multimedia and usually located in the centre of the home is a far more enjoyable experience privately or with others.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzer1975 View Post
You have this the wrong way round.

The arrival of dedicated games consoles has significantly killed off the gaming p.c.

I hate playing games on my p.c. other than rts' but a console at the centre of the home's multimedia and usually located in the centre of the home is a far more enjoyable experience privately or with others.
i agree, sitting at my desk with headphones or computer speakers and a computer monitor just doesnt come close to playing on my 50in plasma with surround sound
post #26 of 38
I always thought you could plug your PC into your 50" plasma TV too...
post #27 of 38
The DSi XL comes out this coming Sunday as well.
post #28 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossinator View Post
I always thought you could plug your PC into your 50" plasma TV too...
The majority of console gamers probably couldn't figure out how to do that.
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis
The DSi XL comes out this coming Sunday as well.
Yep, that bit made a lot of analysts scratch their heads since it looks like Nintendo nuked their DSi XL sales with this announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossinator View Post
I always thought you could plug your PC into your 50" plasma TV too...
Had my PC hooked up to a 42" LCD TV for most of the last four years. Not really a great solution for most though. Couch gaming distance is a bit further away than legibility distance. Also, the PC peripheral makers don't seem to have gotten a handle on that whole newfangled cordless thing. Most PC peripherals don't have anywhere near the range needed to comfortably use on the couch, and the lag with most wireless peripherals isn't very conducive to gaming.

Moved away from it when I finished out my Eyefinity rig. 5964x1080 just blows the doors off the console experience. Upside is that gaming is so tuned for console performance that it's possible to max out pretty much every new release at that resolution. Downside is that it shows just how far PC gaming has fallen as Crysis is still the high water mark for graphics quality over two years later.
post #30 of 38
I hope the video card is better than the PSP's graphics core: MIPS R4000 32bit Core

- 128bit Bus
- 1 - 333MHz at 1.2V
- Main memory is 8MB(eDRAM)
- Bus Bandwidth is 2.6GB per second
- I-Cache, D-Cache
- FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
- 3D-CG Extended Instructions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Nintendo announces DS successor