Good to know buddy. I was hoping they would be close.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Philips 408A tube the same as Sylvania 408A? Last post on 4/7/11 at 8:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sylvanis GT Chrome Top tall bottle question Last post on 2/26/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 7/16/15 at 1:27am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Preface: Hearing the MSB Analog was a long overdue matter. A couple of weeks ago, I finally decided it was a good time to do something about it, hence I got one from local dealer to have the...
Me: I am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed,...
Disclaimer I was part of the european leg on the X5 world tour, so I did receive a review unit, free of charge, for ten days, but it was already running FW 1.0. I am in no way affiliated with...
Ultrasone Edition 5 Unlimited needs some serious burning-in. They sound horrible at the beginning but after about 30-40 hrs they are getting better and better - very open (doesn't sound like closed...
- Headphone Impedance
6SN7 Tube Addicts - Page 257
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
The last couple of 6SN7 tubes I have bought include a couple which are not exactly 6SN7s. I am referring to NOS ECC32s = CV181s made by Mullard from the 80s. These are good looking tubes dark brown bases, smoke class and having ST shaped envelopes. The NOS CV1988s I mentioned are also called 6SN7 GTY and are made by Brimar, black glass, brown base my tubes are from 1972. The ECC 32s have more gain than regular 6SN7s making it a little bit difficult to fairly compare to the others.
That said they are detailed very clean and richly toned. The Brimars are very clear strong signaled and have detail equal to the Mullards.
I wish I knew how to post pictures from my Andriod phone.
The other interesting 6SN7 I have collected recently are a quad of Marconi made in Italy. They were heavily used but still work welll ( I am uncertain of their emmsion or transconductance because I am waiting to get my tester back from repair. If anyone wants to trade or just a pair of these poorly labeled/marked Marconi tubes I would be happy to oblige.
Can anyone tell me who I can send my Singlepower Extreme to for the safety issue?
Very nice tubes for sure!
The ECC32's have great mids.
They come with different bases, getters, grey or black plates, but they are good tubes, worth having.
Don't run the ECC32's in the Extreme it may not be able to handle the higher heater current for long and could damage your transformer.
I have a couple of recommendations depending on your location.
That's good to know. I had tried ECC32 in the Extreme and noted that the transformer and top plate were warmer than usual. What tubes were you going to suggest? I was pleased with the Brimar Black BTY and Sylvania 6SN7Ws among others.
My problem right now is trying to understand the output market. It takes time (patience) and observation to know how much certain tubes will generally cost. After figuring the market for.. lets say... Tung Sol 5998s ..Only then can I learn if I prefer the resultant sonics.
Ladder plate type Rays do indeed sound good in the Icon HP8.
I have to say one of my biggest surprises tube rolling that amp was how good the National Union blackglass sounded in it. Bass is a little flabby, but the tone and harmonics are a great match for the amp's character.
I sort of regret selling my Brimars, I have a hunch they would have been a good match for the Icon as well. Then again as little as I use the amp it doesn't matter much either way.
I'm back in! I just purchased the ALO Audio Studio Six, so I have plenty to play with: 6SN7, 6V6, OB2 and 5AR4.
6V6s and OB2s are thankfully cheap.
Have you heard the DNA Stratus for comparisons?
Amos have you left the Stax camp now entirely? Glad to see your back with tube amps. The fun is in the rolling but once you get the right combo that ends. I am pretty stable with my WA5 selection now and I have lots of 6SN7 just using the tungsol 6F8G in their now but have other of those tubes as well.
Edited by Frank I - 12/7/13 at 11:30am
No, unfortunately not. None have made their way out to Japan as far as I know.
So far, I'm going to stick with dynamics and get a pair of good near-field speakers instead.
Amos what speaker are you considering near field. I am using the fritz Carbon 7 SE with my WA5. I love them and amazingly they are 88db and sound fantastic with the W5.
Does anyone have the same experience or do you think my pair is defective? I note there is a 6 mA difference between the two Sylvanias so they are not perfectly matched. Thanks!
Edited by lojay - 12/13/13 at 10:05am
Skylab, you are quite right my pair is absolutely quiet with the WA5. No microphonics or hum at all. However, it may be that my pair is past its prime. The readings on the label say "6.3/1.65, 5.5/1,80" on one and "6.8/1.95, 7.1/2.05" on the other, any idea how I could gauge whether my pair is good?
Neo, I hope you are right, my Ken-rad is arriving on Monday..
Edited by lojay - 12/13/13 at 9:38pm
- 6SN7 Tube Addicts
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Little Dot MK 9 - Has anyone tried it? 28 seconds ago
- › Need help picking a pair of headphones 30 seconds ago
- › Post Your Photography Here #2 (new dial-up 800X600 friendly) 54 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 56 seconds ago
- › Some questions about settings (sample rate, latency, etc.) for an... 1 minute ago
- › Audio-Gd Master 7 - Discrete Fully Balanced DAC (PCM1704) 1 minute ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Objectivists board room 4 minutes ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 6 minutes ago
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 6 minutes ago
- › MSB Analog by negura
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by kar13
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by WayneWoondirts
- › Ultrasone Edition 5 unlimited by hechlok
- › Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System by Fademan77
- › Rhapsodio RD3 Hi-Fi Grade Dynamic In-Ear Monitor by Kunlun
- › Future Sonics Spectrum Series: G10 by Kunlun
- › Cayin N6 PCM1792A chip DSD lossless music player by Cotnijoe
- › Shure SE215 by KewStone
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3