Where do the RCA red base 5692s fit in?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Philips 408A tube the same as Sylvania 408A? Last post on 4/7/11 at 8:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sylvanis GT Chrome Top tall bottle question Last post on 2/26/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Beyerdynamic DT 480 - 25 ohm(with some mods) This is a review of the Beyerdynamic DT 480, I believe the only other headphone that shares a driver with the DT 48, the original dynamic headphone....
A funny thing had happened the last time I visited Schiit Audio's offices and factory/warehouse. When we entered, what had previously been a storage or dumping room -- I don't remember, had become...
The product was provided to me free of charge for the review purpose in exchange for my honest opinion. The review was originally posted on my blog, and now I would like to share it with all my...
I was surprised to see only a single review for this player, so figured I'd throw my hat into the ring. I owned this player for about a year until it was stolen (along with an entire...
I have had the opportunity to review a few inexpensive MP3 players recently and have generally been quite impressed with many of them as they clearly appear to put sound quality before pretty much...
6SN7 Tube Addicts - Page 206post #3076 of 601612/19/12 at 2:03pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #3077 of 601612/19/12 at 9:27pmThread Starterpost #3078 of 601612/19/12 at 9:54pmQuote:
Thanks, looking forward to it. My 6SN7 collection is even more sparse than I recalled. I currently have:
1 pair Tung-Sol JAN CTL 6SN7WGTA (Manuf. Date June 1964) (Brown base)
1 pair Sylvania JAN CHS 6SN7WGTA (Manuf. Date Jan. 1966) (Brown base)
That's it for now. We'll see how each of these sounds in the driver position and go from there.
Anyone with specific Super 7 suggestions is welcome to post them here... there are many other observations here and elsewhere, of course.post #3079 of 601612/19/12 at 10:34pmThread Starter
These nice WGTA's are a good starting point.
I would experiment with some single drivers like an RCA smoked glass, an early Tung-Sol and a T-plates Sylvania before going into more output pairs.
The driver usually makes a bigger change than the output tubes.post #3080 of 601612/20/12 at 12:16amQuote:
That's fine. I was wondering whether there is one that is distinctly red and one that is distinctly brown as opposed to perhaps a continuum of reddish browns.post #3081 of 601612/20/12 at 3:41amQuote:
just to make sure i understand it right..output tubes=power tubes... right?? i understood from the one i bought my amp is that the power tubes makes biggest impact on sound and not the drivers....but maybe i understood it wrongly? my 337 only has driver tubes (smaller tubes) and the power tubes (bigger tubes)..so now hearing the drivers makes more impact on sound makes me a bit confused...post #3082 of 601612/20/12 at 4:30amThread Starter
The output tube is the power tube, the 6AS7G is the output tube.
In a lot of designs the driver affects the sound the most.
Some amps use a driver(s), an input(s) and output(power) tubes.post #3083 of 601612/20/12 at 4:52amQuote:
oh ok..thanks for explaning..didnt know that..so now i just have to find out myself which of the two affects the sound the most on my 337..well..i have 3 pairs of driver tubes (tung sol, rca reds, sylvania's) and 3 pairs of output tubes (bendix/tung sol/chatham)..so i am goin to have lots of fun finding out..
Edited by hifimanrookie - 12/20/12 at 6:14ampost #3084 of 601612/20/12 at 6:08amQuote:
Actually, I think all RCA 5692's have a red base, not brown, if we are being picky about itpost #3085 of 601612/20/12 at 6:39amThread Starter
Yes they are, so the list will change to:
I know of the following 5692's, maybe others can help to complete the list, there also rebrands but these are the main ones:
Brown & Black Base
Brown & Black Base
Brown Base, Medium Bottle (Yellow Label) and Short Bottle (Green Label)post #3086 of 601612/21/12 at 12:54pm
I have found on the WA22 that the rectifier tube seems to have the most dramatic effect on the sound. Also, I have found that the sound can very significantly just mixing and matching rectifiers with different driver tubes. One driver is great with a certain rectifier, and worse with another. But I'm just a young pup around here :).post #3087 of 601612/21/12 at 1:01pmThread Starterpost #3088 of 601612/21/12 at 1:13pm
Yeah, definitely. That's why I mentioned my observations applying specifically to my WA22. I wonder how much the power tubes would impact things. I have had the Sylvania 7236 from day one and have never rolled anything else there. I have only tried recitfiers and driver tubes so far.post #3089 of 601612/21/12 at 3:31pmQuote:Originally Posted by Sid-Fi
I have found on the WA22 that the rectifier tube seems to have the most dramatic effect on the sound. Also, I have found that the sound can very significantly just mixing and matching rectifiers with different driver tubes. One driver is great with a certain rectifier, and worse with another. But I'm just a young pup around here :).
Rectifiers with different amounts of voltage drop will affect the operating behavior of all the other tubes, so it can indeed have a strong affect on the sound. The quality of the power supply is a large part of how an amp performs and the rectifier is the heart of a tube amp's power supply.post #3090 of 601612/23/12 at 10:04pm
So I got an order from Vacuumtubes.net, accepting substitutions (no pics or detailed descriptions on their site anyway). Which is like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates: you're never quite sure what you'll find when you open the box. In this case my first Mullard-type GZ37 turned out to be from a brand called Zaerix (Z & I Aero Services Ltd., London, England) and I'm quite enjoying it, seems pretty mellow in the current setup.
But more on topic, I got my first couple of supposed Tung-Sol 6SN7s, of which one turned out to not be a Tung-Sol... not sure if it was a substitution as such since somebody hand-wrote Tung-Sol on the box anyway and they may not have checked inside. They are both clear glass tall bottle w/ top getter & angle plates, look identical and measurements are pretty similar, certainly in the same range I'd get from a pair of other actually identical-make tubes. I can't hear any particular issue left to right myself.
Anything I should concerned about? The make is "Reliable", not familiar with them. See pic below, it's the one in the foreground (Tung-Sol in the back)
Edited by TheGrumpyOldMan - 12/23/12 at 10:06pmReturn Home
- 6SN7 Tube Addicts
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › HD 650 problem 12 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 33 seconds ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 2 minutes ago
- › Topping D30 DSD DAC XMOS/CS4398 2 minutes ago
- › IEMs similar to Fidelio X2 headphones? $100ish budget 2 minutes ago
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 3 minutes ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 3 minutes ago
- › Meridian Explorer² Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 480 by kman1211
- › Schiit Audio Yggdrasil by Currawong
- › oBravo ERIB-1C 2way planar magnetic hybrid by twister6
- › Astell & Kern AK Jr. Hi-Res Music Player 64GB by SkumBucket
- › BENJIE K9 8G APE/FLAC/WAV High Sound Quality Entry-level Lossless... by Peddler
- › Darkvoice 336SE by SOULSIK
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by B9Scrambler
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by OSiRiSsk
- › Brainwavz Jive by ezekiel77
- › Accutone Pisces Digital In-Ear Headset - Retail Packaging -... by Cinder
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear