- 21,813 Posts. Joined 4/2005
- Location: Chicagoland
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Philips 408A tube the same as Sylvania 408A? Last post on 4/7/11 at 8:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Sylvanis GT Chrome Top tall bottle question Last post on 2/26/15 at 2:58pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Neutral Desktop Headphone AMP for Heir Audio 4.A CIEM? Last post on 8/20/12 at 7:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- [LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones. Last post on 4/5/16 at 2:45am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Govibe Peak Last post on 7/9/12 at 12:12am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
These headphones are much recommended online as a relatively cheap introduction into the world of high fidelity. They are functional and do not excessively grab attention visually. They are...
A very good DAC and headphone AMP for the price. A clear improvement in sound quality from my laptop for headphones, even ones that already sounded good, this gives a much cleaner,clearer and more...
This is my first really good quality Digital Audio Player. I have used a range of Audiophile headphones on it. If you're used to digital Sony Walkmans of days gone by you will recognize the simple,...
My favorite pair of headphones, and considering I own the Sennheiser HD598s, that is saying something. They look fantastic, very stylish indeed, they are extremely comfortable, infact the ear pads...
These are okay headphones if you can get them for a cheap price (sub £90 ) but probably aren't worth any more than that. Their build quality is solid, despite all the plastic used, and they can be...
6SN7 Tube Addicts - Page 198post #2956 of 600412/4/12 at 11:30amI find the 50's WGT's just a little too warm. The 60's WGTA is better balanced, and especially on top. It's still a wee bit lush, but not sloppily so.
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #2957 of 600412/4/12 at 1:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by rosgr63
The newer tubes have the GTB plates set at an angle to each other.
Then again Rob you like the GTB style tubes and so do I.
Are we GTB heretics I wonder?
On the HD650 cable I have tried 2 balanced (SAA, Rudistor) and 3 single end (SAA, RAL, stock) cables and the RAL despite been SE was the best by far.
That's with my systems and listening preferences.
Out of those cables I woudl agree that the RAL with be the best for the HD650. Also going balance makes a big difference on the HD650. Not as much with the HD800.post #2958 of 600412/4/12 at 2:17pmpost #2959 of 600412/4/12 at 3:39pmQuote:
Don't think thats new. the SPs have been available for nearly a year now.post #2960 of 600412/4/12 at 3:45pmpost #2961 of 600412/5/12 at 10:04pmInitial impressions of the Tung Sol BGRP 6SN7 in my setup are very positive. As I have mentioned recently in this thread, I have been looking for driver tubes that can really compliment my WA22 with the 596 rectifier. My RCA VT-231 and Sylvania GTA each have great strengths, but a clear weakness that leaves me wanting.
After an initial hour and a half long listening session, the TS BGRP are proving to be much more balanced with no glaring frequency response imbalances that my tubes have annoyed me with. The bass is full but not overbearing. The mids have an understated but enjoyable warmth that makes them sound engaging without losing detail or sounding lush at the expense of neglecting the highs. The highs are so far my favorite region. They sound really alive, precise, and realistic. Overall, the tubes sound very resolving, refined, and musically engaging. I'm really enjoying them so far...
Thanks to the generous head-fi'er that offered to ship them to me for audition . I won't mention a name since I haven't asked, but this member is lurking about - cheers!post #2962 of 600412/5/12 at 10:13pmMy above post reminds me of my recent comments on how amazingly well my HD 650 have scaled with my setup. This is especially true with the 596 and TS BGRP. They sound fast, neutral, with really alive treble. I think they can really struggle without an ideal chain in these areas. They can be slow, have a very uneven frequency response with boomy and even muddy bass with rolled off and veiled treble.
It's really remarkable how close they can feel to HD 800 right now in my setup. While they still lack some of the technical prowess of the HD 800, they are also very engaging and musical where the HD 800 can be a tad lean and analytical at times. Just my two cents...post #2963 of 600412/5/12 at 11:00pm
Initially, the TS-BGRP did not take me by storm. First listen came paired with an EML 5U4G in my WA 6 Special Edition. The presentation was nicer than with the Raytheon's and RCA Grey glass they replaced. But, I could not point to a single head & shoulder trait yet, overall it just succeeded at being really good. High averages all around. Sometimes, it's difficult to know in a short first session.
I also remember the first time I paired the USAF-596 with the TS-BGRP's - did not like it...at all! And I had already sold the EML Glass and would be shipping it out in the morning. I was nervous about what to do next, considering what the glass cost me. Eventually, I changed the length of my digital cable and that turned the pairing from worse-to-first.post #2964 of 600412/6/12 at 12:26amThread Starter
Well done Sid-Fi it seems you found what you were looking for.
Is this the end of your tube addiction and final cure?
I would like to thank the person who sent you the tubes to try.
Acts like this make our hobby so much better and puts people first, above gear.
Edited by rosgr63 - 12/6/12 at 1:13ampost #2965 of 600412/6/12 at 12:37amQuote:
People first...without a doubt! Now, if I can just send him my own pair.post #2966 of 600412/6/12 at 5:40am
What tube is this? It looks like a fake to me. The lettering on the base does not look real.post #2967 of 600412/6/12 at 6:40amQuote:Originally Posted by dminches
What tube is this? It looks like a fake to me. The lettering on the base does not look real.
To me it looks like a Ken-Rad. At least that's the way mine look.post #2968 of 600412/6/12 at 7:02amThread Starterpost #2969 of 600412/6/12 at 7:23amReturn Home
- 6SN7 Tube Addicts
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV 5 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 7 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (advanced wireless & microSD module for... 7 minutes ago
- › DX200 Details of design, features and specifications on 1st page. ... 7 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New... 7 minutes ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 7 minutes ago
- › Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7, B160/B320) 8 minutes ago
- › Onkyo A800 and H900M full-size headphones - shipping March 2016 10 minutes ago
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by theminstrel
- › FiiO E17 by theminstrel
- › Sony NWZ-A15 Walkman Video MP3 Player (16GB) - Black by theminstrel
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 by theminstrel
- › Shure SRH750 DJ Headphones (Black) by theminstrel
- › Sennheiser HD 449 Headphones by theminstrel
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by FortisFlyer75
- › AXGIO Dash Wireless Earbuds Cordless Running Jogging Bluetooth... by pkshiu
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by heliosphann
- › Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation Audiophile Headphones by crabdog
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear