New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rant: Loud Bars

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
So last night I was out at a bar rented out by an organization I belong to. Like many bars in the D.C. area, the DJ was playing things LOUD. My iphone SPL app put the noise level at 100db.

The most annoying thing is that it was supposed to be a cocktail/chat kind of event- not a drunken grinding event. We spent most of the night attempting to communicate by screaming at the top of our lungs. I left the place with a headache and my ears ringing.

So why do bars do this? Normally, if I walk into an establishment where the music is so loud my ears are going to start bleeding, I just leave- but it's different when you are part of a group event. Are there people who actually enjoy that kind of noise level?

Also, the OSHA tables show that the maximum exposure to 100db by employees is 2 hours. But I noticed none of the bar tenders were wearing any sort of hearing protection. How do bars get away with that?

I would prefer to keep my hearing, thank you.
post #2 of 35
More noise = less talk = more beer. I hate it too, but none of my friends care. Get drunk fast and ignore it
post #3 of 35
I would have ask management politely to lower the tunes and if they didn’t I would have just left, regardless of the group but I certainly would have explained my actions and reasons to them. But regardless of what you or I think, there’s a call for wild and crazy places like that and if one works there or frequents that type of establishment they do it because they choose to and they’re not being forced to frequent or work there.
post #4 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
More noise = less talk = more beer. I hate it too, but none of my friends care. Get drunk fast and ignore it
Maybe it was just a matter of habit on their part, but this was an open bar we had already paid for. They made the same money whether we each drank 1 beer or 10.
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Also, the OSHA tables show that the maximum exposure to 100db by employees is 2 hours. But I noticed none of the bar tenders were wearing any sort of hearing protection. How do bars get away with that?
My guess is that the employees don't know that. And I'd be very doubtful that the management would be compelled to do anything unless complaints were filed.
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Le View Post
More noise = less talk = more beer.
QFT. Bars crank it up to keep people buying drinks.

It's the reason I don't go to bars with music any longer, with a few exceptions. There's one that has acoustic events I like, but any amplified performers or DJs crank the SPL into oblivion.

What is strange to me is why people put up with these kinds of sound levels.
post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
QFT. Bars crank it up to keep people buying drinks.

It's the reason I don't go to bars with music any longer, with a few exceptions. There's one that has acoustic events I like, but any amplified performers or DJs crank the SPL into oblivion.

What is strange to me is why people put up with these kinds of sound levels.
all the cool kids do it, and the older adults want to be as hip as the cool kids, so they do it too :/ i stopped frequenting bars in allston and amherst because of the noise issues. it's as bad as walking into a trance club now, i might as well find a neighborhood watering hole in cambridge or southie where they won't be playing loud or obnoxious music on PAs.
post #8 of 35
It is irritating if you are staff too, particularly in night clubs. Nowadays you are offered earplugs. Which is all well and good, but then you can't hear what is being said by customers. I worked behind the bar in a nightclub as a student and I would leave work with my ears ringing.
post #9 of 35
They rarely sound good either, the bass is cranked into oblivion and all you can hear above that mess are the highest frequencies.
post #10 of 35
think the o.p kinda answered why... the place was hired out - but there was a DJ??

most bars in the uk, even on a fri/sat night will start off playing CD at reasonable levels. the DJ & noise comes up later.

did someone specify the DJ? if the place was hired, someone should've defo told 'em to knock it off.
post #11 of 35
double!
post #12 of 35
Ear plugs .

Most people like it dangerously loud so there.
post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
Maybe it was just a matter of habit on their part, but this was an open bar we had already paid for. They made the same money whether we each drank 1 beer or 10.
Hmm, then it's just stupid. Punch those responsible. (maybe ask to turn it down first)
post #14 of 35
After going to a few loud bars in the past, I think it's not worth staying. You an quickly become accustomed to the noise, which is the dangerous part. You almost have to make that decision within a few minutes of walking in.

I think I will be more picky about bars that I go to in the future. In fact, I've blacklisted a few because of noise levels.
post #15 of 35
It's a bar not a library or the church social.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home