Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Best portable amp for JH13'S
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best portable amp for JH13'S

post #1 of 100
Thread Starter 
Thought i'd start a new thread instead of derailing the JH13 appreciation thread.
Take it this Q is best in the amp section rather than earphone dept anyhow?

Would like to know from anyone who has experience of their JH13's with a portable amp and what they think of it with that amp?

Seen the Pico slim, ALO RX and RSA amps are meant to be good contenders as amps by themselves but not sure how they would perform with the 13's?
Not sure of any other amps out there that sound stella with the 13's?

Any direction on that would be appreciated
post #2 of 100
I would add the TTVJ slim, having heard the ones mentioned except the ALORx, fell in love with the TTVJ slim at the March 6 Boston meet, take a look at the thread for some details.
post #3 of 100
I heard good things about JH 13Pro+Mustang P51 when pair with ipod classic and Pico, Arrow, D4, TTVJ Slim.
post #4 of 100
Both my D10 and Voyager lift the JH13 from unamped configs.

Have been very impressed with iPhone 3GS hp out though without an amp!

I have ordered the Pico Slim as I'm very keen to enjoy the perfect channel balance and hiss less operation (Neither D10 or Voyager hiss, but Lisa III does with JH13s).

Some are buying three or four of the contenders to see which is best. I'm pluming for just the one.

Happy listening.

Sceptre
post #5 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
I have ordered the Pico Slim as I'm very keen to enjoy the perfect channel balance and hiss less operation
I'll second that motion but for my JH16's
post #6 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMark View Post
I would add the TTVJ slim, having heard the ones mentioned except the ALORx, fell in love with the TTVJ slim at the March 6 Boston meet, take a look at the thread for some details.
Took a quick look, looks nice and compact "slim"! hard to believe one can get a good sound out of an amp that small

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARIM View Post
I heard good things about JH 13Pro+Mustang P51 when pair with ipod classic and Pico, Arrow, D4, TTVJ Slim.
Almost went for the P51 last year, but upgraded my then Sony A818 to the Sony X which blew that out of the water! Have not heard of the Arrow, who does that one? Had heard elsewhere the P51 does have a good synergy with the 13's so will be a contender for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre View Post
Both my D10 and Voyager lift the JH13 from unamped configs.

Have been very impressed with iPhone 3GS hp out though without an amp!

I have ordered the Pico Slim as I'm very keen to enjoy the perfect channel balance and hiss less operation (Neither D10 or Voyager hiss, but Lisa III does with JH13s).

Some are buying three or four of the contenders to see which is best. I'm pluming for just the one.

Happy listening.

Sceptre
Ah, that is something i will be looking at is an amp that does not hiss to bad with the Jh13 or 16's if possible, though after seeing how slim and compact the TTVJ and Pico respective slim models are so slim it is starting to make even some of the other porta amp like the Voyager look a bit cumbersome by comparison.

Just an observation, priority would still be SQ over anything else, but would be icing on the cake if it happens to be a slim version, i do get the impression this is the way porta amps will all go in time maybe diet wise?

Think most of us iare in the same vote there, wish i had the $$$ buy 3 or 4 of the top dogs to find the right one, and then discard the rest!
hence why i am asking all these stupid Q's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LintHart View Post
I'll second that motion but for my JH16's
What made plump on the 16's ?

Just wandering if the difference between the 13 and 16 sig would make some amps suit one more than the other or if it doesn't matter to much with these good amp's and will not be an issue and will be just as good with both?

-------------------------------------------------

Cheers guys for the input, i guess with my Sony X which will be the source (almost over looked that end!) has a really good built in amp already for a dap (far better than my Touch 2G, another story though) it will have to be a good amp for sure, but maybe one that does not have bad hiss if there are any out there, i can put up with a certain amount as long as it is not what would feel like hairdryer levels during quite passages!

Just wandering how much these amps stay true to the source signal passing through to the earphones even with a lod from source to amp, or do they all add their own Sig along the way as i am wandering what any of these would be like with the X as source and 13's on the receiving end.
I will eventually be using a lod which ALO have just released for the Sony models for when i do get a porta amp.

Also is it best to get an amp with a dac as i see the option to add it for an extra $100 with the TTVJ Slim?

Too many choices in this world by the looks of things
post #7 of 100
Quote:
Blutarsky thought the ES3X had a little better synergy with the Pico Slim because the mids and treble are smoother and not too forward while the bass is very strong (paraphrasing). Sherwood seemed to feel the Protector had a little better synergy with the JH13Pro because it filled in the mids and didn't bump the bass too much like the Pico Slim. I agreed with both of them, and it's interesting that they didn't read my post above where those were the same things I noticed when I compared them.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6497459-post537.html

Looks like it depends on what your looking for.
post #8 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTiK View Post
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6497459-post537.html

Looks like it depends on what your looking for.
Interesting... looking for the same sort of sound my K702's reproduce which sounds a bit dry, analytical, with the bass not overcooked or to warm but can still define a deep bass when required if the recording has it there, but also has a good balance and a natural midrange with the top end not to harsh with a smooth but crystalline sound, so the more natural sounding to me it can be at also reproducing instruments as they should sound with a realistic tonal quality is basically the sort of sound i am looking for.

Any amps sound like that and i will be there ; )

I see the protector is balanced, so would rule it out for me as i think i am after one that can be a bit more compact for on the move now, so Pico Slim will be in the frame as a contender still - possibly.
post #9 of 100
Shadow works for me. Crisp clean detailed and very very portable. The Tomahawk sounded a little more warm but not as detailed. The Shadow it is for me.
post #10 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNB View Post
Shadow works for me. Crisp clean detailed and very very portable. The Tomahawk sounded a little more warm but not as detailed. The Shadow it is for me.
Hi once again ChicagoNB, Yes the shadow is one on my shortlist at the moment amongst the Pico Slim, TTVJ & ALO RX.

Hope your 13's are still keeping you hooked, i am getting closer to getting my impressions done, but am waiting for my UK dealer to get those 16 demos in to listen to before i make a decision on which one to go with.

How long do you get with your Shadow on a full charge, i think it is a usb connection also? Not sure if you have tried, but would they by any chance be good enough to drive a pair of cans like the AKG702's okay if need be? Not essential, but would be a bonus really.

Will bear that in mind "Crisp & clean detailed" as you have it with the JH13's. Thanks
post #11 of 100
Between my two current portables, the iqube and the ALO Rx, I prefer the synergy with the Rx, it offers a bit more musical rendering without being warm. Sometimes the iqube can be to clean... Im also in the list for the pico slim, im really curious....
post #12 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 View Post
Hi once again ChicagoNB, Yes the shadow is one on my shortlist at the moment amongst the Pico Slim, TTVJ & ALO RX.

Hope your 13's are still keeping you hooked, i am getting closer to getting my impressions done, but am waiting for my UK dealer to get those 16 demos in to listen to before i make a decision on which one to go with.

How long do you get with your Shadow on a full charge, i think it is a usb connection also? Not sure if you have tried, but would they by any chance be good enough to drive a pair of cans like the AKG702's okay if need be? Not essential, but would be a bonus really.

Will bear that in mind "Crisp & clean detailed" as you have it with the JH13's. Thanks

I imagine they would drive them with no problem. I've gone as long as 3 weeks about 2 hours a day on the commute (there and home) and have never run out of gas. I charge my ipod more than I charge my Shadow. It does have a pretty good battery range.
post #13 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyDebord View Post
Between my two current portables, the iqube and the ALO Rx, I prefer the synergy with the Rx, it offers a bit more musical rendering without being warm. Sometimes the iqube can be to clean... Im also in the list for the pico slim, im really curious....
Encouraging considering the excellent reputation the iqube has.

What you say about the Rx being not warm is what i am looking for in respect to my source and ironically my Sony X surprisingly is slightly on the warm side so would not want to accentuate that with an amp that was to warm either, as currently it sounds great with my AKG702's through my British Naim headphone amp and is not to warm due to the 702's more natural balanced sig.

I am leaning towards the Rx or the TTVJ slim as the Pico slim has just come out and the que is a mile long for that at the moment!

Have just read on a site called Headfonia there is a hi gain switch under the cover which even drives the HD800's! But is meant to be enough without it on to drive full cans okay anyway like my 702's for example.

Oh boy! - i can't wait for my JH's with a twag and which ever portable amp it may be!

cheers on your thought's of the Rx, much appreciated
post #14 of 100
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNB View Post
I imagine they would drive them with no problem. I've gone as long as 3 weeks about 2 hours a day on the commute (there and home) and have never run out of gas. I charge my ipod more than I charge my Shadow. It does have a pretty good battery range.
Wow, sure that is not a Toyota Prius under the hood of that Shadow with that battery stamina!

That is the thing that is a turn of with the TTVJ slim would be 15 hours of juice at full charge with that, which makes me think how much would it then be with my 702's if i decided to listen to them with it.

Turn's out, just checked the RSA site and is 72 hours with iem's on a full charge with the Shadow which really does put it in contention against the TTVJ and Rx in that respect.

Going to be a hard choice, will most probably come down to which one comes along first on the for sale thread and take a punt! lol!
post #15 of 100
The iQube just has a very special flavour- very clean and neutral. If you like your music more 'fun', it's not for you. But for what it does, the iQube is unparalleled.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Best portable amp for JH13'S