or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 627

post #9391 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


I haven't heard the GR04 but the GR06 and R30 both sound quite good with modern music. The GR06 is more mid-forward but also has better bass impact. The R-30 is a little more laid-back but has an advantage in overall balance and treble smoothness. Really depends on what you think you'll like better. The R30 may seem a little bass-light after the CX300 but it's got good bass for a single armature and will be a big step up in clarity.

 

Thank you! I might go with the GR06 just in case. I don't have a problem with my AD700 not having much bass, but considering that reviews say the CX300 is bass-heavy, the GR06 would be the safer choice.

Does armature drives have an advantage at the same price point like the GR06 vs the R30? The only thing I know that most of the top tier IEMs have armatures.

Thank you for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


If you like your bass, the MH1C may be a good choice. It's nice, cheap, and has gobs of bass.

 

Unfortunately the MH1Cs cost about $65-70 in my country, it's outright robbery. At that price range I wouldn't consider the MH1C. Thank you for suggesting tho!

post #9392 of 16803

Hi Joker..could you recommend an appropriate headphone upto 300$.  My prefered signature is -

 

Slighlty leaning toward analytical, but not complete left field

Great detail

Tight, fast, detailed base but with natural decay

Flat mid section, but of course great clarity in upper and lower end

Crisp, detailed but not 'hot' treble

Soundstage does not have to be endless

IEM not overly dependant on fit

Would be paired with JDS Labs O2

 

Cheers, many thanks :)

post #9393 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

Hi ljokerl,

 

Thanks for all the effort that you put into these review. It's amazing and I can't read all of them so I will just ask you here.

Can you please recommend me an universal fit/ciem neutrual sound with liquid mids and slight emphasis on bass (LCD2.2, Mad Dog or Vmoda M100 equalivent)? The lower the price the better.

 

Thank you.

 

Someone asked this about the M-80 and I recommended the Yamaha EPH-100. If the M-100 follows the sound of its smaller sibling, that should still be a pretty good choice. It actually has quite a bit of bass but it not bloated/intrusive, much like the M-80 and LCD2. That's probably the smallest spend for something decent with that signature, too. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aellius View Post

 

Thank you! I might go with the GR06 just in case. I don't have a problem with my AD700 not having much bass, but considering that reviews say the CX300 is bass-heavy, the GR06 would be the safer choice.

Does armature drives have an advantage at the same price point like the GR06 vs the R30? The only thing I know that most of the top tier IEMs have armatures.

Thank you for your reply!

 

 

The R-30 has no innate advantages over a dynamic-driver earphone such as the GR06 just because it is an armature but it is the more balanced-sounding set of the two.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by christobit View Post

Hi Joker..could you recommend an appropriate headphone upto 300$.  My prefered signature is -

 

Slighlty leaning toward analytical, but not complete left field

Great detail

Tight, fast, detailed base but with natural decay

Flat mid section, but of course great clarity in upper and lower end

Crisp, detailed but not 'hot' treble

Soundstage does not have to be endless

IEM not overly dependant on fit

Would be paired with JDS Labs O2

 

Cheers, many thanks :)

 

You might like the VSonic GR01 or ACS T15 - both pretty neutral with a bit less treble than the average 'analytical' earphone for a more forgiving sound. The T15 more so than the GR01, and it is especially easy-going when it comes to fit. For something a little more fun, I think the Ortofon e-Q5 might be a good choice. 

post #9394 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Someone asked this about the M-80 and I recommended the Yamaha EPH-100. If the M-100 follows the sound of its smaller sibling, that should still be a pretty good choice. It actually has quite a bit of bass but it not bloated/intrusive, much like the M-80 and LCD2. That's probably the smallest spend for something decent with that signature, too.  

Hi Joker,

Thanks for your recommendation. Do you think the new UE400 will be a good fit for me? 

I am willing to spend around $500 and I may consider reshell to have a nice fit with it.

post #9395 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

Hi Joker,

Thanks for your recommendation. Do you think the new UE400 will be a good fit for me? 

I am willing to spend around $500 and I may consider reshell to have a nice fit with it.


The UE900? Probably, though if you're willing to spend that much I would say the SE535 might be a better signature match for the LCD-2 I heard with flatter mids and maybe a bit less treble energy than the UE900.

post #9396 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Added Reid & Heath Audio MA-350

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

(3A75) RHA MA-350
 

Added Jan 2013


Details: First in-ear earphone from Scotland-based Reid & Heath Audio
Current Price: $35 from amazon.com (MSRP: $39.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 103 dB | Freq: 16-22k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, Sony Hybrid
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and drawstring carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The MA-350 boasts solid-feeling machined aluminum housings, metal nozzle filters, and fabric cables with flexible strain reliefs. The cable is a little tangle-prone but the overall feel is one of a higher-end product. The 3-year warranty is very impressive as well
Isolation (4/5) – The housings are narrow at the front, allowing relatively deep insertion with good isolation
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Moderate in the cloth-sheathed cable; can be greatly reduced with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4/5) – The earphone housings have a familiar flared shape a-la Dunu Trident but are compact and light. The small diameter at the front affords a comfortable, unobtrusive fit

Sound (6.8/10) – The MA-350 pursues a consumer-friendly sound and delivers on its promise of “a deep, full bass response” in spades, pumping out plenty of powerful sub-bass. It delivers more low bass than either the Brainwavz M5 or Dunu Trident, two solid and bass-heavy sub-$50 in-ears. Though the sub-bass is not very informative, the low end of the MA-350 genuinely impresses with its depth and rumble. The response stays strong well into the mid-bass region, resulting in a warm—but not overly so—tone.

The powerful bass of the MA-350 makes the mids sound slightly overshadowed and at times a touch muddy. This is far from uncommon for bass-heavy entry-level earphones – there are a few that manage better overall clarity (e.g. VSonic GR02 BE) and many more that can’t compete with the MA-350. Note thickness is good and the overall sound is rich and full.

The treble is in balance with the midrange and generally smooth. At reasonable volumes the top end is very inoffensive. The MA-350 is smoother overall than the popular VSonic GR02 BE and doesn’t introduce sibilance to a track. A little grain can become apparent at higher volumes—the Dunu Trident behaves better here even though it is not as crisp and extended as the MA-350. Top-end roll-off is present, but gradual. No surprises for an entry-level set.

In terms of presentation, the MA-350 is again par for the course. It is not the most spacious earphone and, like most budget sets, generally has an intimate, in-the-head presentation. It can get a touch congested but is more than acceptable for the asking price—better, for example, than the more closed-in sounding Dunu Trident.

Value (9/10) – RHA’s first in-ear earphone is a solid entry-level offering. There is quite a lot to like here but ultimately the MA-350 stands out in two ways – excellent build quality and deep, subwoofer-like bass. This is definitely the one earphone to show those claiming that in-ears can’t deliver adequate bass across the spectrum and, hopefully, is just the first of many in-ear products from RHA.

Pros: Solid build quality; 3 year warranty; powerful subbass
Cons: Cable noise can be bothersome unless worn cord-up

post #9397 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


The UE900? Probably, though if you're willing to spend that much I would say the SE535 might be a better signature match for the LCD-2 I heard with flatter mids and maybe a bit less treble energy than the UE900.

I read through your and headfi holiday gift guide, I saw that the W4R is more favorable than Shure535 or UE400.

Is there a mini version of JH16 around?

post #9398 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


I haven't written anything about the Heed for two reasons

 

1. It's my only proper full-size amp, so I have no real basis for proper comparison when I say it sounds 'good'

2. It's not stock. The are quite a few mods performed by the previous owner meant to get it to sound its best with the AKG K601. I don't have a list of those mods on hand, unfortunately. 

 

Thanks for the answers

 

I was curious because they don't seem to receive a lot of attention here in head-fi.

post #9399 of 16803

rha ma 350 vs she3580?

post #9400 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Added Reid & Heath Audio MA-350

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

(3A75) RHA MA-350
 

Added Jan 2013


Details: First in-ear earphone from Scotland-based Reid & Heath Audio
Current Price: $35 from amazon.com (MSRP: $39.95)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 16Ω | Sens: 103 dB | Freq: 16-22k Hz | Cable: 3.9' I-plug
Nozzle Size: 4.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, Sony Hybrid
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (2.5/5) - Single-flange silicone tips (3 sizes) and drawstring carrying pouch
Build Quality (4.5/5) – The MA-350 boasts solid-feeling machined aluminum housings, metal nozzle filters, and fabric cables with flexible strain reliefs. The cable is a little tangle-prone but the overall feel is one of a higher-end product. The 3-year warranty is very impressive as well
Isolation (4/5) – The housings are narrow at the front, allowing relatively deep insertion with good isolation
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Moderate in the cloth-sheathed cable; can be greatly reduced with over-the-ear wear
Comfort (4/5) – The earphone housings have a familiar flared shape a-la Dunu Trident but are compact and light. The small diameter at the front affords a comfortable, unobtrusive fit

Sound (6.8/10) – The MA-350 pursues a consumer-friendly sound and delivers on its promise of “a deep, full bass response” in spades, pumping out plenty of powerful sub-bass. It delivers more low bass than either the Brainwavz M5 or Dunu Trident, two solid and bass-heavy sub-$50 in-ears. Though the sub-bass is not very informative, the low end of the MA-350 genuinely impresses with its depth and rumble. The response stays strong well into the mid-bass region, resulting in a warm—but not overly so—tone.

The powerful bass of the MA-350 makes the mids sound slightly overshadowed and at times a touch muddy. This is far from uncommon for bass-heavy entry-level earphones – there are a few that manage better overall clarity (e.g. VSonic GR02 BE) and many more that can’t compete with the MA-350. Note thickness is good and the overall sound is rich and full.

The treble is in balance with the midrange and generally smooth. At reasonable volumes the top end is very inoffensive. The MA-350 is smoother overall than the popular VSonic GR02 BE and doesn’t introduce sibilance to a track. A little grain can become apparent at higher volumes—the Dunu Trident behaves better here even though it is not as crisp and extended as the MA-350. Top-end roll-off is present, but gradual. No surprises for an entry-level set.

In terms of presentation, the MA-350 is again par for the course. It is not the most spacious earphone and, like most budget sets, generally has an intimate, in-the-head presentation. It can get a touch congested but is more than acceptable for the asking price—better, for example, than the more closed-in sounding Dunu Trident.

Value (9/10) – RHA’s first in-ear earphone is a solid entry-level offering. There is quite a lot to like here but ultimately the MA-350 stands out in two ways – excellent build quality and deep, subwoofer-like bass. This is definitely the one earphone to show those claiming that in-ears can’t deliver adequate bass across the spectrum and, hopefully, is just the first of many in-ear products from RHA.

Pros: Solid build quality; 3 year warranty; powerful subbass
Cons: Cable noise can be bothersome unless worn cord-up


Does this mean you're ready for the MH1C?

post #9401 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

I read through your and headfi holiday gift guide, I saw that the W4R is more favorable than Shure535 or UE400.

Is there a mini version of JH16 around?

 

I haven't heard the JH16. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

rha ma 350 vs she3580?

 

MA-350 has deeper bass and a warmer, more bottom-heavy sound. SHE3580 is clearer and more balanced/v-shaped.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


Does this mean you're ready for the MH1C?


Sure, I'll take a listen. The RHA was definitely not the set holding me up, though.

post #9402 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haquocdung View Post

I read through your and headfi holiday gift guide, I saw that the W4R is more favorable than Shure535 or UE400.
Is there a mini version of JH16 around?

I haven't heard the JH16. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilboozy View Post

rha ma 350 vs she3580?

MA-350 has deeper bass and a warmer, more bottom-heavy sound. SHE3580 is clearer and more balanced/v-shaped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

Does this mean you're ready for the MH1C?


Sure, I'll take a listen. The RHA was definitely not the set holding me up, though.


PM me your address?
post #9403 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

MA-350 has deeper bass and a warmer, more bottom-heavy sound. SHE3580 is clearer and more balanced/v-shaped.

Nice review by the way biggrin.gif

post #9404 of 16803

Hi Joker, really hope Compact Monitors especially the Stage 3 and Stage 4 will be reviewed. The Stage 3 sounds amazing to me and I'm so tempted over it! Wondering why not really many talk about this brand whereas it is amazing to me

post #9405 of 16803

Hey joker, I saw that you kinda started with the ER6i and went to the ER4, is there a step in between that you would recommend that's similar to the Ety sound sig? ER6i was my first quality IEMS and I find that I'm missing the sound of them recently. I was looking at the REs, (RE0, Re-Zero, RE262) as well as the Ety HF5. Looking to stay <= 100. Thanks. Awesome thread btw, I love this and your portable HPs thread. Keep up the great work.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)