or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 528

post #7906 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post


The Meelec balanced sound bi flanges didn't change the sound much for me, just gave me a great seal and made them super comfy. I consider the 02 to be way too bass heavy for me. The 04s have phenomenal mids.

Actually, they do sound different. Apparently, there are two different versions of the meelec gray balanced bi-flange tips. I asked joker before and he said he was sure they're all the same but they are not. I ordered the so called "balanced tips for m9" right before they ran out of stock and I guess they didn't have 3 pairs, so 1 of the pairs was what meelec has now on the site as gray balanced double flange trips. The one "for m9" are harder and with overall darker one shade of gray while the other are in brighter gray, softer and the opening of the tips is slightly smaller and in a darker shade of gray. They sound different and the "for m9" version has a lot better seal and thus better bass and netter everything - the softer ones are just sub-par compared to the other ones and useless for - it's really a good thing I didn't receive 3 pairs of them.

 

Here is a pic I just snapped for comparison (the quality isn't very good)

GR02 BE stock bi-flanges (left), meelec balanced tips for m9 (middle), meelec balanced double-flange tips (right)

700

Of course, I'm not 100% sure if itt in't the other way around and the softer version on the right is the "m9" version and the other one the "balanced sound". I just go with what I ordered - the "balanced tips for m9". 


Edited by kova4a - 8/14/12 at 12:43pm
post #7907 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

Actually, they do sound different. Apparently, there are two different versions of the meelec gray balanced bi-flange tips. I asked joker before and he said he was sure they're all the same but they are not. I ordered the so called "balanced tips for m9" right before they ran out of stock and I guess they didn't have 3 pairs, so 1 of the pairs was what meelec has now on the site as gray balanced double flange trips. The one "for m9" are harder and with overall darker one shade of gray while the other are in brighter gray, softer and the opening of the tips is slightly smaller and in a darker shade of gray. They sound different and the "for m9" version has a lot better seal and thus better bass and netter everything - the softer ones are just sub-par compared to the other ones and useless for - it's really a good thing I didn't receive 3 pairs of them.

 

Here is a pic I just snapped for comparison (the quality isn't very good)

GR02 BE stock bi-flanges (left), meelec balanced tips for m9 (middle), meelec balanced double-flange tips (right)

700

Of course, I'm not 100% sure if itt in't the other way around and the softer version on the right is the "m9" version and the other one the "balanced sound". I just go with what I ordered - the "balanced tips for m9". 


I asked the guy at meelec if there was a difference between the for M9 and the other set, he said no. I wonder if maybe they just sent you a regular old black normal bi-flange.

post #7908 of 16802

No, it's not a regular black. The regular black ones are harder like the stock vsonic ones. All the three meelec pairs are gray and you can see through them. Just one of them is slightly brighter and is softer the the other two. The two darker pairs are softer than the stock vsonic and meelec bi-flanges. I like them more than the Gr02 stock ones as I get a better seal, more balanced sound (as they are softer they have slightly less bass and thus the slithly laid back mids aren't so apparent) and I feel them less in my ears. The brighter ones are very slightly smaller and are too soft and that amount to bad seal and bass. I haven't seen so soft tips in a while. So they are deffinitely different - aside from the softer silicone their cores are thicker.

post #7909 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kova4a View Post

Actually, they do sound different. Apparently, there are two different versions of the meelec gray balanced bi-flange tips. I asked joker before and he said he was sure they're all the same but they are not. I ordered the so called "balanced tips for m9" right before they ran out of stock and I guess they didn't have 3 pairs, so 1 of the pairs was what meelec has now on the site as gray balanced double flange trips. The one "for m9" are harder and with overall darker one shade of gray while the other are in brighter gray, softer and the opening of the tips is slightly smaller and in a darker shade of gray. They sound different and the "for m9" version has a lot better seal and thus better bass and netter everything - the softer ones are just sub-par compared to the other ones and useless for - it's really a good thing I didn't receive 3 pairs of them.

 

Here is a pic I just snapped for comparison (the quality isn't very good)

GR02 BE stock bi-flanges (left), meelec balanced tips for m9 (middle), meelec balanced double-flange tips (right)

700

Of course, I'm not 100% sure if itt in't the other way around and the softer version on the right is the "m9" version and the other one the "balanced sound". I just go with what I ordered - the "balanced tips for m9". 

 

The middle tip looks like the "old" balanced bi-flange that came with my M9s back in 2009. My newer M9 came with the tip on the right.

post #7910 of 16802

I really wish the balanced biflanges fit on the GR04. Joker, any other tips fit on your GR06? I mean, I know they come with ~15, but I love those balanced sound tips, they're so comfy!

post #7911 of 16802

Then I have to say that I don't like the new ones at all - so it's a good thing that at least 2 out of the 3 pairs are the old ones. 

post #7912 of 16802

So I'll be getting the SM3v2's in a couple days!!!!!biggrin.gif

 

 

I'll probably be selling my Aurisonics ASG-1.2's simply because I feel the signature too similar. What would everyone recommend under $150 that would complement the SM3?

 


Thanks!
 

post #7913 of 16802
Joker, an IEM with a a v shaped sound with flat cables? I see the Ultimate Ears 500 (500vi), as one, but is there any better with better strain relief? Must be comfortable, have sparkly treble, and good bass... not overpowering.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 8/15/12 at 2:45am
post #7914 of 16802

Hey Joker!! Have you heard Rockit sounds R50??? Dual BA, costs 120$.. they are giant killers.. I shall be eagerly waiting your review.

post #7915 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Joker, an IEM with a a v shaped sound with flat cables? I see the Ultimate Ears 500 (500vi), as one, but is there any better with better strain relief? Must be comfortable, have sparkly treble, and good bass... not overpowering.


        if you would consider xb41ex , but the ue 400/500 is not bad at all . and may be the velodyne v pulse . it also lacks strain reliever at the earphone end , try a xb41ex at a sony store , they are a bit light in sig but not bad . nicely v shaped but dont have the treble spark of ue 400/500 , still is not bad at highs .

post #7916 of 16802

and sadly , ue written on the eu 400/500 is easily erasable .

post #7917 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootsit View Post

I really wish the balanced biflanges fit on the GR04. Joker, any other tips fit on your GR06? I mean, I know they come with ~15, but I love those balanced sound tips, they're so comfy!

 

Lots do, but none with great results. Have you thought of trying to make a set of adapters to use the balanced bi-flanges? 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosshorn View Post

So I'll be getting the SM3v2's in a couple days!!!!!biggrin.gif

 

 

I'll probably be selling my Aurisonics ASG-1.2's simply because I feel the signature too similar. What would everyone recommend under $150 that would complement the SM3?

 


Thanks!
 

 

Sony EX600 is about as different from the SM3 as you can get in that price range wink.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Joker, an IEM with a a v shaped sound with flat cables? I see the Ultimate Ears 500 (500vi), as one, but is there any better with better strain relief? Must be comfortable, have sparkly treble, and good bass... not overpowering.

 

I would say ECCI PR401 if it's still in production. Haven't seen it mentioned in a while. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashanth R View Post

Hey Joker!! Have you heard Rockit sounds R50??? Dual BA, costs 120$.. they are giant killers.. I shall be eagerly waiting your review.

 

I have an R-50 but unfortunately it has a channel imbalance so the review is on hold for the time being. They perform very well for the price, somewhere between the q-JAYS/Phiaton PS200 and VSonic GR01/Brainwavz B2.

post #7918 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

 

 

I have an R-50 but unfortunately it has a channel imbalance so the review is on hold for the time being. They perform very well for the price, somewhere between the q-JAYS/Phiaton PS200 and VSonic GR01/Brainwavz B2.

i might get a pair soon. how do i check that channel imbalance?

post #7919 of 16802
Thanks Joker. The UE 500 will be here on Friday, but if doesn't work out, I'll look into the Ecci PR401 next.
post #7920 of 16802

I am impressed by the massive amount of reviews. Some of the reviews are very well writen and good references.

 

However, I am REALLY skeptical about the value for horizontal comparisons among the IEMs based on the scoring. Take IE8 as an exmple which scored 9.0 for sound quality. And a bunch of those that are etiher in the same price range or below are scored equal or higher than IE8 including those that are clearly not in the same league in terms of sound quality, eg. XBA4, RE262/272, GR07, EX600, etc. Some of the phones are also clearly not even comparable to some scored lower, such as Turbine pros, Miles Davis and MG7.

 

Thus looking at the appendixed scoring charts can be quite confusing.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)