or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 506

post #7576 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

hi joker, its me again rolleyes.gif, i am in a dilemma: i am still searching for the most fatigue free iem. as for that i bought the silver bullet and the tandems. both are ok, while the tandems are still a little bit to aggressive. on the other hand the silver bullets are a little too dark to me. is there anything even smoother borderline boring up to 150 $? maybe M3? oh, and it should be a dynamic driver, as i need a little sub bass rumble.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by putente View Post

 

Have you looked at the Yamaha EPH-100? They sound pretty smooth to me, although not boring at all... rolleyes.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

yes, i owned them and they were much to aggressive sounding and there was a treble peak, that was piercing to me. although it seems, that i am the only one that feels so.

 

I think you are getting some strange in-ear resonances I'm not getting with both the Tandem and EPH-100 which is why they sound harsh to you vs the K701. I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice with that in mind but the HiFiMan RE262 could be an option. I would also play around with the fit on the Tandems, really hard to imagine them sounding aggressive.

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo888 View Post

Hi joker, is this new RE262 with detachable cables on the housing or they comes with some extension cables to swap channels? Didn't see any of info on Hifiman's  website. Thanks.

 

The cable is modular, splits about half way down. The main part is about 2' long and has a TRRS balanced plug. Two of the three extension cables are single-ended/TRS.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidisawesome View Post

does the beyerdynamic have good bass

 

The DTX101 has plenty of bass.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlinePredator View Post

What's the best IEM for my budget, which is AUD $50? (Willing to pay ~$5 more if it makes a BIG difference)
I don't know anything about highs,mids,lows, treble, bass, v-shaped, "fun" sounding, or any of these audiophile terms.

I listen to pretty much every genre, if that helps.

 

VSonic GR02 Bass Edition if you like plentiful bass, Astrotec AM-90, Soundmagic E30, or Brainwavz M1 if you would prefer to try something a bit more balanced.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekainohakaisha View Post

 

 

Thanks for the replies guys, I am 80% decided to get the RE272. However, as these no longer have the 3 years warranty, I would like to know more on the durability of these pairs. 

Perhaps they lifted the 3 years warranty because there's too much claims from consumers? Just a thought of mine...

 

I've had mine since fall 2011 as well. I really don't know why the 3-year warranty was removed but it was well above industry standard so I suppose HiFiMan had a right to can it. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo888 View Post

 

Got it. Thanks guys for the info. Anyway. any thoughts on how the RE262 will response with the E7/E9 combo. Need something which isolate better at home while my family is around with their daily activities. I normally use my HD650 when they retire to bed and the M50 doesn't really isolate enough. Thanks in advance.

 

The E7 by itself works pretty well with the RE262, better than my J3. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failuyr View Post

In Joker's review of the Monster Turbines, he said they would be a great pair of phones at the $100 mark. They can currently be had at $79 at Amazon. For someone who listens to Dubstep, Rock, Metal, Alternative mostly. Would the Monster Turbines be a good choice in the ~$75 range?

 

Would there be a better pair of iems in this range?

 

That review is quite old but at $75 the Turbine is still a decent buy. Lots more competition now - you can get something just as good without waiting for a $100 discount on the Turbines - the Beyerdynamic DTX 101, for example, or Fischer Audio Consonance. You can even save a chunk of change by going with the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition instead.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

 

IMO the E9 will actually be overkill.

I don't know about the RE262, but sometimes I can't even use my Fiio E11 with my very sensitive IEM's.

Even at the lowest volumes they're still too loud, and when I go even lower, the dreaded channel imbalance prevents me from hearing my music.

 

The RE262 is one of the least sensitive earphones, I really wouldn't worry about about balance issues at listening volumes unless you like your music whisper-quiet. 

post #7577 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

The RE262 is one of the least sensitive earphones, I really wouldn't worry about about balance issues at listening volumes unless you like your music whisper-quiet. 

That's good to hear!

Thank you!

post #7578 of 16803

Yeah, for sensitive IEMs (including BA, which have special "drive" issues due to crossovers), I've checked that the following devices are reasonable:

 

FiiO E6, FiiO E7, FiiO E17 (0 gain setting, that's 2x in reality. Ends up at about 40% of volume)

O2 amp in low gain setting (2x gain, local custom build; also ~40% volume)

Audiotrak Prodigy Cube (2.5x gain? ~30% volume.)

 

In other words, you do need something that can source enough current and has a decent potentiometer. (Real imbalance issues happen below 15% usually.)

 

Not recommended due to overly high noise floor or channel imbalance issues:

FiiO E3, FiiO E9 (with either E7 or E17; possibly directly too, but I haven't tried that)

Nuforce Icon (desktop one)

 

I haven't tested others - I do not own a shop you know and most friends don't carry an amp with them at all. It's not often required with dynamic driver IEMs or headphones.

The other interesting stuff (like Nuforces) I've auditioned in shops for a short time - the trick is either it's audibly wrong out of the box or not at all.

 

Oh, and I've tested with RE272 as well. (GR07 is a bit less sensitive, SE-5 and SA6 are even more sensitve. Beyerdynamic DT1350 is about as sensitive as GR07.)

In fact, RE262 should be far less sensitive than all the rest of the gear I actually own - it's kind of a special case in IEM world, where various portable devices might not sport enough volume. This includes weakest amps. (I wouldn't recommend FiiO E6 for them, will be too quiet.)


Edited by AstralStorm - 7/17/12 at 12:16am
post #7579 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

 

 

I think you are getting some strange in-ear resonances I'm not getting with both the Tandem and EPH-100 which is why they sound harsh to you vs the K701. I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice with that in mind but the HiFiMan RE262 could be an option. I would also play around with the fit on the Tandems, really hard to imagine them sounding aggressive.

 

 

The RE262 is one of the least sensitive earphones, I really wouldn't worry about about balance issues at listening volumes unless you like your music whisper-quiet. 

re262 sounds interesting. will it be able to cause some decent sub bass rumble?

post #7580 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

re262 sounds interesting. will it be able to cause some decent sub bass rumble?

 

 

The RE262 are famous for their excellent mid-range! I don't think they have much sub bass performance as a basshead IEM... rolleyes.gif

post #7581 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

Yeah, for sensitive IEMs (including BA, which have special "drive" issues due to crossovers), I've checked that the following devices are reasonable:

 

FiiO E6, FiiO E7, FiiO E17 (0 gain setting, that's 2x in reality. Ends up at about 40% of volume)

O2 amp in low gain setting (2x gain, local custom build; also ~40% volume)

Audiotrak Prodigy Cube (2.5x gain? ~30% volume.)

 

In other words, you do need something that can source enough current and has a decent potentiometer. (Real imbalance issues happen below 15% usually.)

 

Not recommended due to overly high noise floor or channel imbalance issues:

FiiO E3, FiiO E9 (with either E7 or E17; possibly directly too, but I haven't tried that)

Nuforce Icon (desktop one)

 

I haven't tested others - I do not own a shop you know and most friends don't carry an amp with them at all. It's not often required with dynamic driver IEMs or headphones.

The other interesting stuff (like Nuforces) I've auditioned in shops for a short time - the trick is either it's audibly wrong out of the box or not at all.

 

Oh, and I've tested with RE272 as well. (GR07 is a bit less sensitive, SE-5 and SA6 are even more sensitve. Beyerdynamic DT1350 is about as sensitive as GR07.)

In fact, RE262 should be far less sensitive than all the rest of the gear I actually own - it's kind of a special case in IEM world, where various portable devices might not sport enough volume. This includes weakest amps. (I wouldn't recommend FiiO E6 for them, will be too quiet.)

AFAIK the E17 doesn't sport any channel imbalance at any volume level because of the digital volume adjustment.

post #7582 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlinePredator View Post

What's the best IEM for my budget, which is AUD $50? (Willing to pay ~$5 more if it makes a BIG difference)
I don't know anything about highs,mids,lows, treble, bass, v-shaped, "fun" sounding, or any of these audiophile terms.

I listen to pretty much every genre, if that helps.

 

VSonic GR02 Bass Edition if you like plentiful bass, Astrotec AM-90, Soundmagic E30, or Brainwavz M1 if you would prefer to try something a bit more balanced.

Thanks.

post #7583 of 16803

For the SM3, how much of a difference is there between the stock biflanges and the Sensorcom biflanges?  The stock are a bit too tight in my ears, if the Sensorcoms were slightly narrower or softer they'd probably fit better, just wondering how they compare.  Thanks!

post #7584 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofastreamer View Post

re262 sounds interesting. will it be able to cause some decent sub bass rumble?

 

Not as much as EPH-100 or even the Tandem. Bass extension is decent with a good source but it's not a bass-heavy earphone.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyonya View Post

For the SM3, how much of a difference is there between the stock biflanges and the Sensorcom biflanges?  The stock are a bit too tight in my ears, if the Sensorcoms were slightly narrower or softer they'd probably fit better, just wondering how they compare.  Thanks!

 

IIRC the sensorcom tips have longer stems but are approximately the same diameter, though you might want to confirm with someone who owns an SM3 (e.g. by asking in the SM3 thread)

post #7585 of 16803

Hey guys! I'm looking to go for a custom IEM, haven't quite decided on price range yet, certainly not some 300 dollar IEM and probably not something over 1000 either. But I've had a lot of interest in Unique Melody but from the looks of it the Merlins may be too bass heavy for me, while something like the mage may not be sufficient. Can anyone familiar with UM give me a hint at what may be a good model for me? Or any other brand with a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks =)

post #7586 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotnijoe View Post

Hey guys! I'm looking to go for a custom IEM, haven't quite decided on price range yet, certainly not some 300 dollar IEM and probably not something over 1000 either. But I've had a lot of interest in Unique Melody but from the looks of it the Merlins may be too bass heavy for me, while something like the mage may not be sufficient. Can anyone familiar with UM give me a hint at what may be a good model for me? Or any other brand with a reasonable price would be appreciated. Thanks =)


As awesome as this thread is, this one here :-

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-iem-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-21-reviews-heir-audio-8-a-added-7-08-12

 

Could be more helpful to you.

 

Cheers

post #7587 of 16803

|joker|, allow me to make a correction to the nozzle size of the YAMAHA EPH-100's, where you have it as 5.5mm it's in fact 6.5mm. I just measured mine with a caliper. I found this as I'm looking for foam tips that will fit them...

post #7588 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Not as much as EPH-100 or even the Tandem. Bass extension is decent with a good source but it's not a bass-heavy earphone.

what a pitty. tandems sub bass is minimum requirement
post #7589 of 16803

Hi all.

 

I'm looking at replacing my recently broken Meelectronics CC51P.. I've been recommended the A161P but the cost is a little too steep for me (and i'm not sure i would like them).

 

I mainly listen to electronic dance music. I remember i was a little dissapointed by the sound from the CC51P but i can't recall what it was.

 

I prefer a detailed treble (is that right?) and overall clarity. I have a tendency to be really sensitive to bass heavy headphones/iem's.

I do enjoy the rumble from sub bass but i hate hearing the bass being overpowering.

I use a pair of Sennheiser 25-1 ii when mixing (and music listening at home) and i really enjoy the sound of those. I have another pair of Sennheiser (i believe it's pc360) that i mainly use for gaming. They are open and iirc uses the same drivers as the 555. I prefer these only for gaming and not for music listening.

 

Could you recommend something for me? Something around $100 and preferably available in the EU, as importing from the us/rest of the world would add taxes and such.

 

It also needs to have a mic for use with an iphone.
 
Thanks!
post #7590 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by proedros View Post

go from 80% to 100% you won't be disappointed

re-272 is a terrific iem , i have it since last september and i am in love with this little baby

 

it has terrific highs without being edgy/sibilant and the rest of the spectrum is fine aka neutral

 

i also have the eq5 but it don't get much listening time , poor old eq5

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

 

You can look at Joker's Build Quality Rating for the RE272.

From the looks of it, it's not badly built at all.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

 

I've had mine since fall 2011 as well. I really don't know why the 3-year warranty was removed but it was well above industry standard so I suppose HiFiMan had a right to can it. 

 

 

 

 

Thanks guys, I've pulled the trigger on these yesterday. However, I'm starting to get worried. I checked my order status and it says 'Payment received. Waiting for shipping' since yesterday.

It was also weird, they didn't ask me to give shipping address anywhere when I checked out (as far as I remembered). Regarding this I've also emailed the shipping department, and ask them that it would be the same as my paypal billing address, and still no reply whatsoever.. Does this seem normal?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)