or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 484

post #7246 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrin View Post

  • EPH-100 - The treble on this is much better than the A161p's with no harsh qualities.  I did feel these were quite U or V shaped with some odd tubular type sound in the mid's.  It was the bass that tossed these out for me.  I do like bass but the quantity of bass was just too much and really interfered with some music.  Having listened to my wife's Klipsch S4's I'd say these have similar bass levels but much better low bass extension and maybe somewhat better control.  I think the S4's have a bit too much bass too plus rolled off treble and sound like I'm listening to my music in a limited box.

 

 

How much have u listened to them? Because after the burn-in the sound gets more balanced with less impactful bass (bass that i also found intrusive at first).

post #7247 of 16802

I don't mean to jump in .... my EPH-100 were exactly the same as the member above before and after break in. Bass calmed down a hefty amount compared to out of the box, 'a very noticeable amount' more so than any other IEM I've had. Afterwards it blended into the signature. I have seen other reports of the same thing. It was about 10 - 20 hours mine really settled. Now it's a lot calmer, nothing like first listen.


Edited by H20Fidelity - 6/12/12 at 2:14am
post #7248 of 16802

I believe I had the EPH-100 playing for at least 36 hours before doing my listening tests.  I still find their bass to be too much.  I have 30 days to return those so I'll try burning them in a bit longer and see if anything changes.

 

Joker, you recommended the RE262.  I've read that it really needs an amp and that is something I do not have and am not sure I would get.  Do you feel it will still sound ok driven only by an ipod?  I may try it anyway as head-direct has good return policies and decent shipping.  I'd like to try a Vsonic but can't find anyplace that sells them with a return policy.

 

The more I hear about the A161 here the more I think I got a defective one.  I'm contemplating exchanging the one I got rather than returning and see if that's the case.  The S4 has a bit of the harsh treble qualities if you turn it up too high but the A161 is far far worse for the same material.  The EPH-100 and RE-ZERO had no issues at all on the same tracks.  Very odd.

post #7249 of 16802

Alright fellow headfiers, I need a suggestion. The left earbud on my Soundmagic E30 earphones stopped working, and getting them fixed will basically cost the same as buying a new pair. So, instead, I want to buy a totally different pair of in-ear headphones. Here's what I'm looking for:

  • Under $75
  • Fairly large soundstage
  • Comfortable (I want to be able to wear these for hours)
  • Durable (I want to be able to use these while I'm running, longboarding, etc.)
  • I listen to mostly alternative and folk music so I want them to go well with these genres.

 

So far the Cyclone PR1 looks good to me and someone is selling them on headfi for $28

post #7250 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrin View Post

Joker, you recommended the RE262.  I've read that it really needs an amp and that is something I do not have and am not sure I would get.  Do you feel it will still sound ok driven only by an ipod?  I may try it anyway as head-direct has good return policies and decent shipping.  I'd like to try a Vsonic but can't find anyplace that sells them with a return policy.

 

 

Depends on your source, really. iPhones are typically better than iPod Touches in my experience and I've not heard the newer Nanos/Shuffles. Chances are that while the RE262 won't be at its absolute best, it will still be more to your liking than the RE-ZERO and you can always try an amp later when you have the budget for it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedudez View Post

Alright fellow headfiers, I need a suggestion. The left earbud on my Soundmagic E30 earphones stopped working, and getting them fixed will basically cost the same as buying a new pair. So, instead, I want to buy a totally different pair of in-ear headphones. Here's what I'm looking for:

  • Under $75
  • Fairly large soundstage
  • Comfortable (I want to be able to wear these for hours)
  • Durable (I want to be able to use these while I'm running, longboarding, etc.)
  • I listen to mostly alternative and folk music so I want them to go well with these genres.

 

So far the Cyclone PR1 looks good to me and someone is selling them on headfi for $28

 

The PR1 has been out of production for years. If you can find one - go for it - but they were never very durable. I would consider the VSonic GR06 or maybe even the forgotten ECCI PR401 (Cyclone became known as ECCI after the PR1).

post #7251 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

pre-order for $109

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Really difficult to split the last three. Personally I prefer the B2s but the other two are very good in their own right.

 

 

 

This would be the winner, then.

 

I was just visiting the mp4nation website, intending to surf the forums and look at their products and stuff, and before I knew it, I ordered a pair.

 

o.o

post #7252 of 16802

I'm fairly new to the world of IEMs, and I'm looking to purchase one.

I'm on a tight budget: $50 dollars at most, but preferably <$40.

 

After extensive research, I'm currently thinking about the VSONIC GR02, maybe the DUNU Trident.

 

I mainly listen to electronica, indie, and some rock and pop.

 

Have you guys got any recommendations?

post #7253 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzisong View Post

I'm fairly new to the world of IEMs, and I'm looking to purchase one.

I'm on a tight budget: $50 dollars at most, but preferably <$40.

 

After extensive research, I'm currently thinking about the VSONIC GR02, maybe the DUNU Trident.

 

I mainly listen to electronica, indie, and some rock and pop.

 

Have you guys got any recommendations?

 

The GR02 Bass Edition should work well. The Trident would be good as well though it's not as clear and hasn't got the treble presence of the GR02. Some other alternatives to look out for - id America Spark, Soundmagic E10, MEElec SP51 (have seen all of these under $40).

post #7254 of 16802
Hi Joker :3

Firstly I just wanted to pay tribute to the unbelievable effort you've put into this comparison thread. I'm sure I'm not alone in how useful and easy it was to use the guide and its helped me make so many decisions with iems. I just wanted to say thank you biggrin.gif

I was wondering if I could ask for your advice (any anyone elses advice! :3) on an iem upgrade I am planning. I managed to get some money and have decided I'd like to upgrade from my Hifiman RE262's to an iem around $400-$500. I've done a fair bit of research around the iems (this thread helped massively Joker, thanks again) and seem to have settled between either the Westone 4Rs or the Shure SE535s.

(I'm not too experienced in the world of iems and I'm sure I don't have a sound understanding of many audiophile terms so I apologize if things I say don't make sense! XD I'll try my best to use the right words biggrin.gif)

Coming from the Hifiman RE262s, I really liked the powerful smooth mids but I found sometimes the trebles were lacking just slighty and I think I would prefer a more balanced range (why the W4Rs caught my eye). Although I appreciate good quality base, I have to admit I really dislike it when the bass takes prominence (although I have not tested them, I am guessing I would not like the sounds of the Sennheiser IE8s or the Westone 3s from what I have read). I greatly appreciate detail in sound (I'm guessing this is described by instrument separation?) and the most important part of music for me is the vocals (particularly female).

My range of artists I like is very narrow compared to most. I'll put them here to see if they help

Absolute favourites

Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood
Daughtry

Other favourites

Evanescence
Breaking Benjamin
Leona Lewis
30 Seconds to Mars
Staind
Kelly Clarkson
Paramore

Its a reasonably wide range (ish lol) but if a choice had to be made, I would much much prefer the iems to be best geared to Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood and Daughtry.

I should probably mention that although I may in the future, I am not planning to get an amp and I'm playing right out of my iPhone 4. I've read in some places that although it helps, both the Shures and Westones play well without an amp. Is this right? biggrin.gif

As you probably have guessed, I'm leaning towards the W4Rs but a couple of things I have read have made me consider the Shures. I've heard that the W4Rs dont play relatively well at low volumes (my most frequent volume) and also that they have a "vieled" sound? Could anyone explain this? Also I've heard from a number of places that people prefer the Shures as they are more fun/dynamic? where the W4Rs have been described as simple/boring in comparison. Is this just a result of the EQ curve differences or is there some intrinsic property of the Shures the W4Rs lack?

Phew! biggrin.gif Thanks so much for reading guys and I would really appreciate any help with this decision. Thanks again smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I'm very open to suggestions of other iems that more closely match my preferences. I am probably not ready to go into customs yet though (definitely will think about them in the future though biggrin.gif)
post #7255 of 16802
i just want to thank joker for the big help to music lovers like me. i consider this thread the absolute bible for iems... i now have 5 iems in my collection an all purchases i have made are based on joker's posts. i have to say every review is accurate and helpful... thanks a lot again...
Edited by bubuchacha - 6/14/12 at 9:10am
post #7256 of 16802

While looking for a higher end IEM for my music, I decided that I needed a cheaper IEM to take to the gym and not have to fear if I destroy it with my sweating and thier awful DVD players.  Although I may bring my ipod from time to time I will be mostly using it for listening to DVD's.  After again reviewing the wonderful resource of information Joker has provided I chose to get the MEELC M9.  Just got them today and I'll burn them in before commenting too much.  I think they'll work out just fine for this purpose and they do have a nice carrying case.

 

Joker, I noticed this IEM comes with flanges that have different diameter holes.  What affect does the size of the hole have on the sound?  Most of the flanges are black silicon that is close to the size of the driver.  There is a grey silicon set which has a smaller diameter hole. 

 

Thanks in advance.

post #7257 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrin View Post

While looking for a higher end IEM for my music, I decided that I needed a cheaper IEM to take to the gym and not have to fear if I destroy it with my sweating and thier awful DVD players.  Although I may bring my ipod from time to time I will be mostly using it for listening to DVD's.  After again reviewing the wonderful resource of information Joker has provided I chose to get the MEELC M9.  Just got them today and I'll burn them in before commenting too much.  I think they'll work out just fine for this purpose and they do have a nice carrying case.

 

Joker, I noticed this IEM comes with flanges that have different diameter holes.  What affect does the size of the hole have on the sound?  Most of the flanges are black silicon that is close to the size of the driver.  There is a grey silicon set which has a smaller diameter hole. 

 

Thanks in advance.

 

The grey set is thinner and will give you less bass. Meelec dubs it the "balanced" tips.

post #7258 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus472 View Post

Hi Joker :3
Firstly I just wanted to pay tribute to the unbelievable effort you've put into this comparison thread. I'm sure I'm not alone in how useful and easy it was to use the guide and its helped me make so many decisions with iems. I just wanted to say thank you biggrin.gif
I was wondering if I could ask for your advice (any anyone elses advice! :3) on an iem upgrade I am planning. I managed to get some money and have decided I'd like to upgrade from my Hifiman RE262's to an iem around $400-$500. I've done a fair bit of research around the iems (this thread helped massively Joker, thanks again) and seem to have settled between either the Westone 4Rs or the Shure SE535s.
(I'm not too experienced in the world of iems and I'm sure I don't have a sound understanding of many audiophile terms so I apologize if things I say don't make sense! XD I'll try my best to use the right words biggrin.gif)
Coming from the Hifiman RE262s, I really liked the powerful smooth mids but I found sometimes the trebles were lacking just slighty and I think I would prefer a more balanced range (why the W4Rs caught my eye). Although I appreciate good quality base, I have to admit I really dislike it when the bass takes prominence (although I have not tested them, I am guessing I would not like the sounds of the Sennheiser IE8s or the Westone 3s from what I have read). I greatly appreciate detail in sound (I'm guessing this is described by instrument separation?) and the most important part of music for me is the vocals (particularly female).
My range of artists I like is very narrow compared to most. I'll put them here to see if they help
Absolute favourites
Taylor Swift
Carrie Underwood
Daughtry
Other favourites
Evanescence
Breaking Benjamin
Leona Lewis
30 Seconds to Mars
Staind
Kelly Clarkson
Paramore
Its a reasonably wide range (ish lol) but if a choice had to be made, I would much much prefer the iems to be best geared to Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood and Daughtry.
I should probably mention that although I may in the future, I am not planning to get an amp and I'm playing right out of my iPhone 4. I've read in some places that although it helps, both the Shures and Westones play well without an amp. Is this right? biggrin.gif
As you probably have guessed, I'm leaning towards the W4Rs but a couple of things I have read have made me consider the Shures. I've heard that the W4Rs dont play relatively well at low volumes (my most frequent volume) and also that they have a "vieled" sound? Could anyone explain this? Also I've heard from a number of places that people prefer the Shures as they are more fun/dynamic? where the W4Rs have been described as simple/boring in comparison. Is this just a result of the EQ curve differences or is there some intrinsic property of the Shures the W4Rs lack?
Phew! biggrin.gif Thanks so much for reading guys and I would really appreciate any help with this decision. Thanks again smily_headphones1.gif
P.S. I'm very open to suggestions of other iems that more closely match my preferences. I am probably not ready to go into customs yet though (definitely will think about them in the future though biggrin.gif)

 

You probably want to ask the person who complained about the fun factor of the W4s. I certainly wouldn't classify them as 'fun' but I don't mind the neutral/slightly mid-centric sound signature. I don't really think the SE535 surpasses the RE262 in overall performance but it should help a little with the treble you're missing from the RE262. Then again, so will the W4. I would not worry about over-prominent bass with either.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuchacha View Post

i just want to thank joker for the big help to music lovers like me. i consider this thread the absolute bible for iems... i now have 5 iems in my collection an all purchases i have made are based on joker's posts. i have to say every review is accurate and helpful... thanks a lot again...

 

Thank you glad the thread has been useful beerchug.gif

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondrin View Post

While looking for a higher end IEM for my music, I decided that I needed a cheaper IEM to take to the gym and not have to fear if I destroy it with my sweating and thier awful DVD players.  Although I may bring my ipod from time to time I will be mostly using it for listening to DVD's.  After again reviewing the wonderful resource of information Joker has provided I chose to get the MEELC M9.  Just got them today and I'll burn them in before commenting too much.  I think they'll work out just fine for this purpose and they do have a nice carrying case.

 

Joker, I noticed this IEM comes with flanges that have different diameter holes.  What affect does the size of the hole have on the sound?  Most of the flanges are black silicon that is close to the size of the driver.  There is a grey silicon set which has a smaller diameter hole. 

 

Thanks in advance.

 

I wouldn't want to generalize across other IEMs but in the case of the M9 those gray tips sound a little less bassy. I actually quite like those tips on many other IEMs - they are soft and a tiny bit smaller in size than most other bi-flanges.

post #7259 of 16802

Which tips will you recommend to use with the JVC fx40 to improve the isolation without sacrificing much comfort and sound quality? I prefer them not to be foam tips as I don't want to spend so much money.Thanks.

post #7260 of 16802

Hi joker, you "bought" me again a pair of new  earphones... The astrotec AM90 . Like them!   Received  before a few hours -  and  they are still in my ears , listening my favorites ( Darks Side of the Moon,  Getz/Gilberto , Kind of Blue...) again and again .   Own  just one  mor pair of BAs ,  A151 , where the vocals, cymbals ... are more believables, but music contains other instruments, too. So I do not want to spend more  than 41 bucks for other IEM. (Wish I could wink_face.gif ) . Have a nice day!   cSg

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)