or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 427

post #6391 of 16803

This is a very vague question I know, but as a rule of thumb, in the $400+ price range will you get better audio quality from IEMs or over/on ear headphones? in particular the two sets I'm currently looking into are the Hifiman HE-300 and the Westone 4, which I can get for the same price of £275 (just over $400 at current exchange rates). Any insights or other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for the best audio quality for the aforementioned budget, everything else is secondary. Looking for a neutral sound signature more or less, with my main listening habits revolving around dubstep and other genres of EDM, so I'd like enough enough impact and extension at the low end to get a satisfying experience out of those genres.

post #6392 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnybayo View Post

cheers ljokerl . your help is very much appreciated. you have no idea how much you're helping people start out. hopefully we could pay it forward and contribute to the community some day. hehe.


Thanks, glad I could help.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by bmur View Post

Hey joker, ******* amazing list you've created, it must be very satisfying. I'm gonna go ahead and jump on the bandwagon to ask your advice. So I've never owned any decent earphones and am looking for a solid pair ~$100. Over the past week I've put in at least 15 hours of research. At first I was leaning towards some Etys, but I kept stumbling upon posts saying the bass is weak. That made me realize I want a good bass presence.

 

I listen to a variety of music.. alternative/rock/dubstep/techno/electro/rap/oldies so I'm not looking for an earphone geared specifically towards a genre. After reading your review of the vPulses($79) they seem like my frontrunner at the moment. You described them as having a powerful, clean bass while still having good presentation across the spectrum. But, a few pages back you compare the Sparks to them saying they are quite similiar (although you score them lower in almost every category). I can get the Sparks on amazon for $32, and I'm having trouble justifying spending $50 more.

 

Also, how do you compare the SE215s to the sparks/vpulses? Feel free to add any other suggestions that come to mind.

 

Generally speaking, I don't think the vPulse is worth $50 more than the Spark. It is a bit more user-friendly in several ways but in terms of sound it's a fair match - both have their strengths and weaknesses. The SE215 is a little more balanced overall and also more refined. The HiSound Crystal may be another one worth looking at if you're interested in the SE215.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

And here I am again. Need a few suggestions for another IEM for the gym/jogging outside. Not more than $70 if possible, and a sound signature like the JVC FXT90. If possible though something from MEElec because I'm about to order some tips from them. But I'm open to suggestions from other brands too.

 

Man that JVC really has me smitten. Really got to thank you again ljokerl.


Most MEElec sets (with the exception of the CX21, CW31, and A151) tend to be v-shaped. The CW31 and CC51 are the two I would recommend from them but you could also look at the id america Spark that's on sale if you don't mind slightly recessed mids. None of these are particularly gym-friendly, though - for that maybe a Soundmagic E30? It's not a great match for FXT90 sound but it is a nicely balanced set with a low price tag.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post

This is a very vague question I know, but as a rule of thumb, in the $400+ price range will you get better audio quality from IEMs or over/on ear headphones? in particular the two sets I'm currently looking into are the Hifiman HE-300 and the Westone 4, which I can get for the same price of £275 (just over $400 at current exchange rates). Any insights or other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for the best audio quality for the aforementioned budget, everything else is secondary. Looking for a neutral sound signature more or less, with my main listening habits revolving around dubstep and other genres of EDM, so I'd like enough enough impact and extension at the low end to get a satisfying experience out of those genres.


Depends who you ask. Not all $400 sets are made equal, and that goes both ways. I don't have any hands-on experience with the HE-300. I do use full-size sets at home a lot of the time and would probably only keep a full-size setup for home use. If you plan to go outside with them, go for IEMs.

 

post #6393 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post




Most MEElec sets (with the exception of the CX21, CW31, and A151) tend to be v-shaped. The CW31 and CC51 are the two I would recommend from them but you could also look at the id america Spark that's on sale if you don't mind slightly recessed mids. None of these are particularly gym-friendly, though - for that maybe a Soundmagic E30? It's not a great match for FXT90 sound but it is a nicely balanced set with a low price tag.

 



Thanks for the fast reply. I see. Well from just speedily reading your reviews yesterday the E30 certainly caught my eye for a while. Will read more on your suggestions though. 

post #6394 of 16803

It's weird that the MEELEC RX12 comes with a 2-Year Warranty.

post #6395 of 16803
...

Edited by kanuka - 3/28/12 at 12:36am
post #6396 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Depends who you ask. Not all $400 sets are made equal, and that goes both ways. I don't have any hands-on experience with the HE-300. I do use full-size sets at home a lot of the time and would probably only keep a full-size setup for home use. If you plan to go outside with them, go for IEMs.

 



Thanks for the response. I'm really just after the best degree of audio fidelity I can get. I do most of my listening at home anyway, but if they can be used outdoors then that's obviously a bonus.

Out of interest, what would opt for on my budget?

post #6397 of 16803

Hi!

 

I havent used proper IEMs and I own Yuin PK2 which I like. Can you tell me what range of iems should I look at. I dont want to downgrade...

I was looking at these new fischer audio db2 mk2.

post #6398 of 16803

joker, how do you find the Eterna v1 mids and vocals recession compared to the Crystal?


Edited by kanuka - 3/28/12 at 10:05am
post #6399 of 16803

some one please message me the official website of ecci earphones . please ..

post #6400 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post

Thanks for the response. I'm really just after the best degree of audio fidelity I can get. I do most of my listening at home anyway, but if they can be used outdoors then that's obviously a bonus.

Out of interest, what would opt for on my budget?


I fi were you, i would first determine, if i want headphones or earphones - then try and narrow it down.

(FYI: I have no experience with either of the ones u listed)

 

A littel note by me:
More often than not, when you compare $100 vs $400 you will notice a little difference, but more often than not, at least for me, the price increase isn't worth that audio quality increase.

In other words:
4x the price = 1.5x - 2x the SQ

 

This is from what I have personally experienced with some of the earphones I've owned.

That's why i aim to keep it ALWAYS under £200 for earphones.

 

post #6401 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman134 View Post

some one please message me the official website of ecci earphones . please ..



www.audioecci.com

 

ECCI just announced the new PR200 MKII, I'm really interested to see how it compares to the old PR200....

From reading Chinese forums, I can gather that the bass is more pronounced


Edited by Xinn3r - 3/28/12 at 6:35am
post #6402 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post

This is a very vague question I know, but as a rule of thumb, in the $400+ price range will you get better audio quality from IEMs or over/on ear headphones? in particular the two sets I'm currently looking into are the Hifiman HE-300 and the Westone 4, which I can get for the same price of £275 (just over $400 at current exchange rates). Any insights or other suggestions are welcome, I'm looking for the best audio quality for the aforementioned budget, everything else is secondary. Looking for a neutral sound signature more or less, with my main listening habits revolving around dubstep and other genres of EDM, so I'd like enough enough impact and extension at the low end to get a satisfying experience out of those genres.


Head direct sell he-300 for 250 dollars and their is one in EU on the FS forums 175 dollars shipped to the UK! So in real terms you can get these and god pair of in ears for 275 quid :D

 

post #6403 of 16803
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofre View Post



Thanks for the response. I'm really just after the best degree of audio fidelity I can get. I do most of my listening at home anyway, but if they can be used outdoors then that's obviously a bonus.

Out of interest, what would opt for on my budget?


Really depends on your preferred signature. The Sony MDR-EX1000 might be a good choice as it is accurate, yet still has good bass and a large soundstage. Or you could save a chunk of change and go for a GR07 or EX600.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokre View Post

Hi!

 

I havent used proper IEMs and I own Yuin PK2 which I like. Can you tell me what range of iems should I look at. I dont want to downgrade...

I was looking at these new fischer audio db2 mk2.


Unfortunately I haven't heard the PK2 - only the PK3 and OK1. I ate the DBA-02 above both but it very different in signature from the warmer, darker PK3.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

joker, how do you find the Eterna v1 mids and vocals recession compared to the Crystal?


Worse

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post



www.audioecci.com

 

ECCI just announced the new PR200 MKII, I'm really interested to see how it compares to the old PR200....

From reading Chinese forums, I can gather that the bass is more pronounced


That looks very sleek compared to the old ones and the PR300

 

post #6404 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Unfortunately I haven't heard the PK2 - only the PK3 and OK1. I ate the DBA-02 above both but it very different in signature from the warmer, darker PK3.


Yum! tongue.gif

 

post #6405 of 16803

Between Vsonic GR01 and DBA-02MKII, which has a better overall SQ?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)