or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 403

post #6031 of 16802

any plans on doing a review of Superlux HD381F?

post #6032 of 16802

Joker, I just realized that you have put the "SHE 3580" on your planned list, I am really looking forward to this particular IEM review, even after buying more expensive IEM's, the SHE 3580 is still one of my favorite IEM, especially with the price so low

post #6033 of 16802
So what IEM would you recommend for a direct upgrade? I would like something under $200..... The reason I like my M6 are because maybe I like the sounds signature as you said... But one problem I have with the m6 is because when singers sing the S-synonym(I don't know the right word sorry noob:P) it's kinda ear piercing....... Is this a dynamic range problem? My main genres are drum and bass, pop, rock and punk rock so maybe if any of the IEM are better for this genres a change of sound signature is always ok:)
Edited by Gryphus0204 - 2/20/12 at 3:56pm
post #6034 of 16802

wow!, that was some reading! (and I still haven't (and probably couldn't ever) read everything in this immense thread  blink.gif )

Thanks for the huge amount of info!

 

Reading through this review-list (and some others), I've narrowed my search for my first IEM's to the following 3 models:

  • Shure se215
  • Westone 1
  • HifiMan RE262

 

... as you might suspect, I'm looking for IEM's within the price-range of $/€  85-150, with some preference for good isolation and comfort.

It will be my first IEM's, for listening a few hours in a row and I would prefer not to have to insert them tó deep...which I suspect to be a difficult criterium as I also would like good isolation ;-)  Therefore I'm looking at 'ergo-fit' IEM's.

I'm mainly looking for IEM's to use while travelling/commuting (train/metro/airplane), which for me means comfort, isolation and build quality...next to sound quality. As I won't use them in 'quiet' environments such as at work, at home, I suspect high-end, very expensive IEM's would be over-kill.

I listen to quite some differente genres of music, but mainly (classic) rock, pop, jazz (all live & studio-recordings) and classical music. (not so much to R&B, rap or hip-hop). Therefore, I'm looking for versatile IEM's with good presentation, rather than e.g. bass-head-IEM's.

 

My current headphones are the Yuin G2 (e.g. at work), Sennheiser MX880 (e.g. walking/on the move, lightweight) (both thanks to reading head-fi !) and Sony MDR-7056 (e.g. at home). I really like them all, considering their respective price-performance ratio for their use, but non of them fit the bill for light-weight commuting, thus my research for IEM's. I understand I wont get the same presentation (3D, soundstage, separation,...) from IEM's, but hope to find the right balance as that is a very important factor for me to have a good time listening to music.

 

I really like the RE262 from what I'm reading about its sound quality and presentation, but their build quality and comfort worry me!! I might misinterprate the reviews, but is it correct that the bi-flanges from the RE262 are less comfortable and need deeper insertion than the Westone 1 or Shure se215, while offering the same or less isolation?

 

I think I might be asking to much for my budget, but will take satisfaction from the best balance I can get between those criteria. regular_smile%20.gif

Could anyone give his thoughts on the choice between these 3 headphones, if possible from direct experience!?

 

Thanks in advance!!

post #6035 of 16802

Thanks above by the way, I added the Sony EX600 and JVC FXT90 to my wishlist

post #6036 of 16802
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mironov View Post

any plans on doing a review of Superlux HD381F?


Not at this time.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

Joker, I just realized that you have put the "SHE 3580" on your planned list, I am really looking forward to this particular IEM review, even after buying more expensive IEM's, the SHE 3580 is still one of my favorite IEM, especially with the price so low



My SHE3580 is not a loan so the review won't be finished for some time redface.gif. I do vastly prefer the Monoprice to it and from initial listening would expect the Philips to rate somewhere around the higher-up MEElec M-series sets, which is still great for $12.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphus0204 View Post

So what IEM would you recommend for a direct upgrade? I would like something under $200..... The reason I like my M6 are because maybe I like the sounds signature as you said... But one problem I have with the m6 is because when singers sing the S-synonym(I don't know the right word sorry noob:P) it's kinda ear piercing....... Is this a dynamic range problem? My main genres are drum and bass, pop, rock and punk rock so maybe if any of the IEM are better for this genres a change of sound signature is always ok:)


You're thinking of sibilance. If you have an EQ you can probably get rid of it with a treble cut. Otherwise different tips or some foam in the nozzle should fix it. If you like the M6 I would go for something more fun and colored-sounding than a GR07 - maybe an FXT90.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blub View Post

wow!, that was some reading! (and I still haven't (and probably couldn't ever) read everything in this immense thread  blink.gif )

Thanks for the huge amount of info!

 

Reading through this review-list (and some others), I've narrowed my search for my first IEM's to the following 3 models:

  • Shure se215
  • Westone 1
  • HifiMan RE262

 

... as you might suspect, I'm looking for IEM's within the price-range of $/€  85-150, with some preference for good isolation and comfort.

It will be my first IEM's, for listening a few hours in a row and I would prefer not to have to insert them tó deep...which I suspect to be a difficult criterium as I also would like good isolation ;-)  Therefore I'm looking at 'ergo-fit' IEM's.

I'm mainly looking for IEM's to use while travelling/commuting (train/metro/airplane), which for me means comfort, isolation and build quality...next to sound quality. As I won't use them in 'quiet' environments such as at work, at home, I suspect high-end, very expensive IEM's would be over-kill.

I listen to quite some differente genres of music, but mainly (classic) rock, pop, jazz (all live & studio-recordings) and classical music. (not so much to R&B, rap or hip-hop). Therefore, I'm looking for versatile IEM's with good presentation, rather than e.g. bass-head-IEM's.

 

My current headphones are the Yuin G2 (e.g. at work), Sennheiser MX880 (e.g. walking/on the move, lightweight) (both thanks to reading head-fi !) and Sony MDR-7056 (e.g. at home). I really like them all, considering their respective price-performance ratio for their use, but non of them fit the bill for light-weight commuting, thus my research for IEM's. I understand I wont get the same presentation (3D, soundstage, separation,...) from IEM's, but hope to find the right balance as that is a very important factor for me to have a good time listening to music.

 

I really like the RE262 from what I'm reading about its sound quality and presentation, but their build quality and comfort worry me!! I might misinterprate the reviews, but is it correct that the bi-flanges from the RE262 are less comfortable and need deeper insertion than the Westone 1 or Shure se215, while offering the same or less isolation?

 

I think I might be asking to much for my budget, but will take satisfaction from the best balance I can get between those criteria. regular_smile%20.gif

Could anyone give his thoughts on the choice between these 3 headphones, if possible from direct experience!?

 

Thanks in advance!!


Isolation and insertion depth are pretty much always a tradeoff. With single-flange tips the RE262 doesn't really insert any deeper than the W1 or SE215 and with the over-the-ear wear style I don't think the three are that far apart in comfort. Personally I actually prefer the RE262/RE272 fit to Shures. With bi-flanges your do get deeper insertion but you gain more isolation, same as you would by using triples with the W1 or SE215. With the same type of tips the isolation difference won't be too big, so unless that's priority #1 I wouldn't worry about it with these three. The RE262 is a tier higher in SQ, though, at least in my experience, so unless isolation is vastly more important than sound quality I'd go for the HiFiMan.  

 

post #6037 of 16802

No posts found for "aurisonics".

 

I hope you get a pair soon chief biggrin.gif

post #6038 of 16802

IjokerI, is the SM3 darker than IE8? Thanks

post #6039 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

My SHE3580 is not a loan so the review won't be finished for some time redface.gif. I do vastly prefer the Monoprice to it and from initial listening would expect the Philips to rate somewhere around the higher-up MEElec M-series sets, which is still great for $12.


Not a problem, will gladly sit around and wait for you to finish the review wink.gif

Ah... I see... Too bad I live in China, the shipping price for the Monoprice is 3x the IEM price... I'll try to find the OEM though...

Yeah... here in China it's only around 7-10$, for that price, it's hard to beat the value! Guess I'll be buying a few more tongue.gif

 

post #6040 of 16802

Hey |joker|! What would you reccomend for an fast, edgy/aggressive IEM with a decent-awesome soundstage/isolation? Maybe an IEM equivalent to an HD-25 1-ii or a Grado, with forward upper-mids and sparkly treble? I've been reccomended the TF10's, but I've heard they have recessed mids; I've been reccomended the GR07, but I think they might be too balanced/neutral sounding; the FX500's were sounding great until you mentioend the isolation. Any tips?


Edited by vaed - 2/20/12 at 11:25pm
post #6041 of 16802
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

No posts found for "aurisonics".

 

I hope you get a pair soon chief biggrin.gif


Only heard of them last week. Sent the company an email but never got a response. Perhaps someone will loan me a set down the line.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

IjokerI, is the SM3 darker than IE8? Thanks



Yes. The IE8 actually has pretty clean and extended treble.

post #6042 of 16802

maybe look into the fxt90

post #6043 of 16802

thanks ljokerl for the very straight and clear advice!!

 

Isolation is not my n°1consideration, but as I will use them (almost) only on public transport, it is an important factor I should balance out with comfort (I'm not used to IEM's...), SQ and build quality (as it is for travelling:light-weight & compact, taking it everywhere).

 

I was wondering, as I often read about the 'Shure olive'-tips to be the most comfortable with good isolation, also on other headphones, if these can be used on the RE262 and if this would make a difference (better) comfort-wise and on sound-isolation?

 

I've also read in your review that the RE262 does take considerable advantage from an dedicated amp. As I will use it mainly with my Sansa Fuze (and sometimes with my laptop), I was wondering how far to go amp-wise, reaching from the Fiio E6 through the iBasso D-zero or T5 onto the Fiio E17. Of course, I have to decide between amp and DAC+amp, but was wondering if any of those would fit the bill and make a considerable difference with my Sansa Fuze. Do you have any advice on that?

 

...so far, RE262 takes the leap for me (especially because of what I read about its presentation/soundstage/space), followed by the Westone 1 and then Shure se215. If I can get over my comfort and build quality worries about the RE262 (I might be wrong on this...), it's gonna be the re262.

I'm getting closer!  smile.gif Thanks!!

post #6044 of 16802
So for under 200 and for rock,pop,punk rock and drum and bass you would recommend the FXT90? The review looks good too.biggrin.gif and what tips would you recommend for the M6? Cause I am currently using the given tips.... Are the give tips suppose to be good?
Edited by Gryphus0204 - 2/21/12 at 12:40am
post #6045 of 16802

Any intention to review the Xears TD4? I have them and really like them. According to others who have owned the TD-III and TD4, the sound is different due to the thicker cable (which reduces the amount of air that is vented through the strain reliefs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)