or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 379

post #5671 of 16803

Thanks for that short impression biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

This matches my impressions. The guy who brought out the demo kit did say he thought the Demo sounded 99% identical to his customized ES5 but I'm not sure I believe that. The bass was very strong, more so than the XBA-4 IMO. Really stark difference in bass qty between the ES5 demo and the Miracle, and I thought the Miracle already had slightly more bass than 'flat'. Bass detail was good, though, and I couldn't tell any problems with the midrange or treble in my short audition. I did think the overall tone was slightly darker than the Miracle and of course the presentation wasn't as impressive as the (custom) Miracle. 



 

post #5672 of 16803

Ftr... the miracle demo units I've seen use comply tips, the JH demo units are shaped more like a custom and had what looked like a streched Sony hybrid tip, I assume you were supposed to take that on or off depending on your canal size... either way the JH demo units offered a very good fit, if you twirled them around a bit.

post #5673 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

Ftr... the miracle demo units I've seen use comply tips, the JH demo units are shaped more like a custom and had what looked like a streched Sony hybrid tip, I assume you were supposed to take that on or off depending on your canal size... either way the JH demo units offered a very good fit, if you twirled them around a bit.


The Westone demo had foam tips, but I don't think they were Complys. - the foam was rougher and more porous, a-la Etymotic or Futuresonics. Still got a good seal with them, though.

 

The Altec Lansing customs had ACS triple-flanges (the same sort that come with the ACS T15). According to the guy at the booth, the units are manufactured by ACS but use Lansing-specified Knowles drivers. They were very comfortable - I'm sure the full-shell ACS/Lansing customs are fantastic to use. The Kevlar-reinforced cables are fixed but supposedly ACS has only had one reported issue with that cable in several years. 

 

 

 

post #5674 of 16803

I kinda kept emphasizing the Monster Turbines Pro Platinum an hour before the CES 2012 event started on FB. Monster said it was pretty interesting. I don't know if they're currently working on it. Or they have an idea on how to start it.......tongue_smile.gif

post #5675 of 16803

For pure functionality and comfort, phonak once again took my money.

 

Never throw your IEMs into your work bag then meet people for happy hour.

 

 

big big big mistake

 

lesson learned the hard way.

post #5676 of 16803

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Didn't bother since I was short on time and really wanted to get to the AKG booth. IMO the XBA-1 is pretty well-balanced. Anything that adds a bass driver will be on the bassy side.

 

The W4 being an obvious exception, no? I certainly wouldn't call it on the bassy side, though I suppose it's all relative to what it's being compared against.

post #5677 of 16803

I thought that ADDIEMs had nice vocals but with the GR07 I can clearly understand WTH Thom Yorke is saying most of the time. Quite a feat...

 

The ZO2 order has just been confirmed.

post #5678 of 16803

joker, is the GR07 "flat" in the same way as IE8 is flat after the mid bass bump?

post #5679 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post



The Westone demo had foam tips, but I don't think they were Complys. - the foam was rougher and more porous, a-la Etymotic or Futuresonics. Still got a good seal with them, though.

I am pretty sure that's the comply S series. http://www.complyfoam.com/products/S-400/
I think the comply booth also said something about this series being available directly to earphone manufacturers.
post #5680 of 16803
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

Quote:

 

The W4 being an obvious exception, no? I certainly wouldn't call it on the bassy side, though I suppose it's all relative to what it's being compared against.


I meant in the Sony XBA series specifically. From what I understand, all of them use the same full-range driver as the XBA-1 and just add extra drivers to boost certain parts of the response. However, I really don't think one could add a bass driver to the XBA-1 and still have something that's reasonably flat unless it only boosts sub-bass, and then only a little.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

joker, is the GR07 "flat" in the same way as IE8 is flat after the mid bass bump?


The GR07 has a bit of treble unevenness

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post


I am pretty sure that's the comply S series. http://www.complyfoam.com/products/S-400/
I think the comply booth also said something about this series being available directly to earphone manufacturers.


Yes, that might be it.

post #5681 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post

joker, is the GR07 "flat" in the same way as IE8 is flat after the mid bass bump?



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


 

 



The GR07 has a bit of treble unevenness

 


 

I consider the I8's Mids Slightly recessed GR-07 Mids are "visible" by a good margin

 

post #5682 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post


Lol, I had to wait 20-25 minutes for them to hunt down the demo for me last year as well.  The bass w/ the silicone flanges I usually use almost knocked me out of the chair i was sitting in.  I guess people didn't believe me.  tongue.gif  The bass on my ES5 custom is a bit more tame but still quite visceral when need be.  If I kick up the gain on my amp the bass driver really lights up similarly to the demo set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

This matches my impressions. The guy who brought out the demo kit did say he thought the Demo sounded 99% identical to his customized ES5 but I'm not sure I believe that. The bass was very strong, more so than the XBA-4 IMO. Really stark difference in bass qty between the ES5 demo and the Miracle, and I thought the Miracle already had slightly more bass than 'flat'. Bass detail was good, though, and I couldn't tell any problems with the midrange or treble in my short audition. I did think the overall tone was slightly darker than the Miracle and of course the presentation wasn't as impressive as the (custom) Miracle. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

The Westone demo had foam tips, but I don't think they were Complys. - the foam was rougher and more porous, a-la Etymotic or Futuresonics. Still got a good seal with them, though.

 

Are there different sounding ES5 demo units going around?  Here's what I wrote a year and a half ago in the ES5 thread.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

On a serious note, The ES5s were light and airy without being overly bright.  There is bass response down to at least 20hz but it's a tad rolled off and lacked impact.  If that's the kind of sound you like then these are probably the IEMs for you.

 

IIRC I used Comply tips on them.  Is it the tips instead?

post #5683 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickronin View Post

Is it the tips instead?


Tips.  I used my own Meelec silicone bi-flanges which I'm familiar with on most of the universals I've used.  Great seal for low end response but lets the phone breathe in the upper registers too.  

 

The ES5 demo is single bore btw compared to the custom which is dual bore.

 

post #5684 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefallr4545 View Post



 

I consider the I8's Mids Slightly recessed GR-07 Mids are "visible" by a good margin

 



You're always pushing that GR07 ;-)

 

Flat meaning neutral? ,  If yes, FX700 is not flat due to its spiked bass and treble? And Atrio M5 is not flat due to its bass spike?

 

post #5685 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by olear View Post



You're always pushing that GR07 ;-)

 

Flat meaning neutral? ,  If yes, FX700 is not flat due to its spiked bass and treble? And Atrio M5 is not flat due to its bass spike?

 


 

Neither the M5 nor the FX700 is neutral. For me the definition of neutral is that you don't hear a booming bass line in the middle of a Celine Dion song, nor do you hear overly sparkly treble in a 50 cent rap. Everything is in its place, and nothing is overly emphasized, unless the song wants it to be so

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)