or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 351

post #5251 of 16803

A better example. Listen to In The Backseat, the closer for Funeral (man that was an awesome album). Everything is just perfect until 1:12. When both the cellos (i guess) and the guitar come in, it's obvious that the guitar takes the lead. However, I feel that the cellos should be perfectly comprehensible, just quieter and out of the way. Instead, they stay in place and the guitar jumps in front, in a way that obscures it more than it should.

 

And at last, at 2:35 when the full band comes in, it loses some of its effortlessness. Kinda like in Rococo.

 

The last minute, however, plays just as I'd like them to do with every other song.

 

I think it is a muddiness condition from only-so-slightly poor fit that makes any passages with beats sound confusing, along with levels of the treble-peak that's still there (albeit in a diminished form, I'll give you that) that make *some* highs sound piercing, even slightly distorted.

 

The background is also a bit less black than what I'd like. But that's my rig's fault... and another excuse to buy an E7!


Edited by lukeskymac - 12/20/11 at 7:59pm
post #5252 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskymac View Post

Garh, I'm extremely frustated with my GR07's right now. "Natural" and "Dynamic" simply don't come to mind when I'm listening to them in any track that has more than one vocal and two backing instruments. I don't know whether it's a fit issue, break-in issue (they have been burning for some 120 hours now), but it sounds awful when playing The Suburbs (the entire frickin album).


To be fair The Suburbs suffers from terrible DRC. It's one of the last albums I'd use for benchmarking a piece of gear.

 

post #5253 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post



 



thanks for the in depth reply. some great food for though. its no doubt although the aforementioned iem sound better when ampd, but they probably already sound very good without an amp as well, being that they are all easily driveable. i see you say some phones benefit a lot from amping, and some dont so it really just comes down to experimenting. seems like none of your ultimate ears really benfited for an amp, dont think ill buy one for my ue600 then ksc75smile.gif

 

what im really wondering is if anyone knows for sure if an akg240studio needs an amp with a portable device? it is rated at 55ohms and has a 91 dB/mW sensitivity. im hoping not. on the website they advertise it by saying

"Thanks to its lower impedance and improved sensitivity, it can be used with low-output audio sources to deliver its incredible sound."

 

but since a lot of people are amping phones with 32ohms or less, and they have sensitivies that are through the roof im concerned ill need an amp for the much less senstive cans

 

also when someone says boomy bass what is meant by this? someone in this thread recently said the addiem are boomy compared to his gr07, and although i own a pair of addiem i cant pick out whats boomy about the lower frequncies? it is quick tight and thumpy. what is meant by boomy?

 

thanks



Basically boomy bass means when that large bass hit occurs in a song the bass becomes uncontrolled and booms out and leeches into the other frequencies (mids/highs) Some people, usually the more extreme bass heads, don't mind a boomy bass just as long as it isn't to uncontrolled because it sounds and feels more visceral. Think of it along the lines of being in a club and having that doof doof doof like bass sound coming out of the speakers and hitting you, that's boomy bass. Whether someone considers boomy bass a good thing or bad thing depends on the individual, different strokes for different folks. Personally I like a controlled bass with good punch behind it of coarse that's just me. What I would consider bassy other people on here would consider bass light.

post #5254 of 16803

void


Edited by bmeat - 8/16/14 at 3:21pm
post #5255 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskymac View Post

A better example. Listen to In The Backseat, the closer for Funeral (man that was an awesome album). Everything is just perfect until 1:12. When both the cellos (i guess) and the guitar come in, it's obvious that the guitar takes the lead. However, I feel that the cellos should be perfectly comprehensible, just quieter and out of the way. Instead, they stay in place and the guitar jumps in front, in a way that obscures it more than it should.

 

And at last, at 2:35 when the full band comes in, it loses some of its effortlessness. Kinda like in Rococo.

 

The last minute, however, plays just as I'd like them to do with every other song.

 

I think it is a muddiness condition from only-so-slightly poor fit that makes any passages with beats sound confusing, along with levels of the treble-peak that's still there (albeit in a diminished form, I'll give you that) that make *some* highs sound piercing, even slightly distorted.

 

The background is also a bit less black than what I'd like. But that's my rig's fault... and another excuse to buy an E7!


I'm with Joker on this one... I feel like you're listening for stuff that's not really there in the music, and you're just hearing the not so fantastic mastering of the album (Though fit might have something to do with it). Listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and then come back and tell me it's not dynamic. wink.gif

post #5256 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


To be fair The Suburbs suffers from terrible DRC. It's one of the last albums I'd use for benchmarking a piece of gear.

 



I'm quite surprised. I know that Arcade Fire are indie, but this is their third album, and considering their musical style I wasn't expecting Dynamic Range Compression from them... It's not like they are Lady Gaga or something...

 

But I am afraid you're right. Even No Cars Go from the third album doesn't sound as expansive as an orchestrated piece (which is what the song reminds me a little)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post


I'm with Joker on this one... I feel like you're listening for stuff that's not really there in the music, and you're just hearing the not so fantastic mastering of the album (Though fit might have something to do with it). Listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and then come back and tell me it's not dynamic. wink.gif


As a matter of fact I do have Dark Side of the Moon too... I remember having only heard Money, and back at 3 hours or so. Will do a complete listening.

 

Now that we're talking about mastering quality... Does any of Radiohead's albums (except Pablo Honey, I couldn't care less about it) suffer from any kind of poor mastering too? I would like the blow to be dealt *now* that I'm not so irritated. They are my favorite band, after all.

 

post #5257 of 16803

void


Edited by bmeat - 8/16/14 at 3:21pm
post #5258 of 16803

I miss the more forward presentation of the ADDIEM... But if the DBA has less bass I wouldn't like it either. I guess I'll only be satisfied with an uber-high-end pair of over-the-ears

post #5259 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


The bass of the MTP Golds is more relaxed than that of the MDT but still emphasized over flat. You may also like the Radius DDM2.


Unfortunately, I had already placed an order for the RE262 before seeing your response...and I see why you did not recommend them based on the sound I said I was looking for.  They sound great, but have a much thinner sound than what I was looking for with this pair of IEMs.  I will be returning them.

 

The DDM2 looks very interesting, but I am starting to think that I should just stick with the MDT since I am enjoying it and got it on sale (and especially after I re-read your review of the MDT, assuming that it still holds up).  It seems like I could try a number of IEMs, but not necessarily find anything I would like better with this type of sound signature.  Emphasized bass looks to be part of the trade-off I need to accept. Thanks!

 

post #5260 of 16803

In my opinion, GR07 can have boomy bass with certain tips without equalization, such as with the stock silicone and less with Hybrids.

Unsuprisingly, it's most smooth and linear with Comply foams and olive tips - these typically don't resonate.

post #5261 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralStorm View Post

In my opinion, GR07 can have boomy bass with certain tips without equalization, such as with the stock silicone and less with Hybrids.

Unsuprisingly, it's most smooth and linear with Comply foams and olive tips - these typically don't resonate.



Olive tips murdered the perfect balance of the GR07 for me. the only way I can use foamies on them is to use reversed complys. As far as the bass is concerned, I find it to be just fine, if not even slightly lacking in mid-bass. Boomy is not a word I'd use to describe the GR07's bass

post #5262 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidPulse View Post


Unfortunately, I had already placed an order for the RE262 before seeing your response...and I see why you did not recommend them based on the sound I said I was looking for.  They sound great, but have a much thinner sound than what I was looking for with this pair of IEMs.  I will be returning them.

 



What source/amp did you use with the RE262 ? The only time I would consider mine 'thin' is when they are under-amped : my iPod Touch wont drive them properly, nor will the headphone out on my laptop, but add a decent portable amp or the ZO2 and its a different earphone, IMO. I also found that the fit had to be bang-on : I initially found the triple-flange silicon tips to be uncomfortable but persevered - now I wouldnt use anything else. Without that 'perfect' seal, you just arent going to hear what the 262s are capable of.

post #5263 of 16803

void


Edited by bmeat - 8/16/14 at 3:21pm
post #5264 of 16803

Fair enough - they arent bass monsters, but I've never seen Joker or anyone else here make that claim. There are so many other IEMs that might have better suited him - c'est la vie. I guess HiFiMan cant please all of the people all of the time.

post #5265 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post

What source/amp did you use with the RE262 ? The only time I would consider mine 'thin' is when they are under-amped : my iPod Touch wont drive them properly, nor will the headphone out on my laptop, but add a decent portable amp or the ZO2 and its a different earphone, IMO. I also found that the fit had to be bang-on : I initially found the triple-flange silicon tips to be uncomfortable but persevered - now I wouldnt use anything else. Without that 'perfect' seal, you just arent going to hear what the 262s are capable of.


I am using the iBasso D6...but would be curious to hear what the ZO2 does for them.  And I don't really mean 'thin' in absolute terms...just relative to the MDT.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post


he seems to like his bass alot. i dont think no matter how hard he tried to tune into the re262, he still wouldnt like them

 

Actually, I did like the re262s quite a bit. But I wasn't just looking for a great earphone, I had a particular sound signature in mind. 

 

As I mentioned, I recently picked up the Mile Davis Tributes on a whim during an Amazon lightning deal and like them a lot more than I expected. BUT...I am finding the bass of the MDTs excessive. I was trying to find a replacement that has the qualities I like about the MDT (very warm, natural, full midrange, but still with some detail) without ALL that bass. For me, the RE262s are not it.  Although they are very good, they just don't have the same lushness in the lower midrange that I am enjoying in the MDT.  (That said, I would consider keeping the RE262 if I hadn't also just picked up the GR07.  But I just can't justify 3 new pairs of earphones...even though it is Christmas!) 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)