or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 317

post #4741 of 16802
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulti View Post

Dear Joker,

 

I now own the RE0 and feel they're very good - but not to the point of loving them.

 

Is there anything with better/same SQ but with a significant increase in isolation? I won't want to spend more than £100 (from the UK) and the choices that I can see with 4.5 Isolation is the ER MC5 (£50), Shure SE215 (£80) and the HiSoundAudio Crystals (£70). At the end of the day I want value so if it's going to be hard to get better value than this then I'll be more than happy to keep the RE0.

 

Here's a longer post of what I'm looking for: http://www.head-fi.org/t/579877/upgrading-from-the-re0s-for-something-with-more-isolation#post_7886381

 

 

All of those easily isolate more than the RE0 but none of them sound as good. unless you are looking for a different sound signature. Listening preferences differ, obviously, but if you're asking my opinion you'll be spending a lot to find sound better than the RE0 with good isolation - think Etymotic HF5 or FIscher Audio SBA-03. Both should be around £100. I'm afraid you won't get away with spending less than that.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazzyp View Post

how would you compare the klipsch S2/X1 with the sennheiser cx300

 

i know the review says klipsch is better, but it would be nice to get greater detail, mostly interested in which has better bass :)

 

thanks 


The CX300 has more bass, the S2 has cleaner bass but honestly buying the CX300 in 2011 is ridiculous. It's so completely outdated and the prices haven't dropped enough to keep up with the competition. If you just want bass, why not get a MEElec M9? Or, if you want decent overall sound quality, the Dunu Tridents and Soundmagic E10s don't cost a whole lot more.

 

post #4742 of 16802

void


Edited by bmeat - 8/15/14 at 11:26am
post #4743 of 16802

It's at least twice as good in my opinion. Way more textures and a tighter bass
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post

joker, i can get both the superfi4 and addiem for around the same price. which one sounds better and more musical? im making a purchase and will then be done with this tonight. thanks



 

post #4744 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenium View Post

It's at least twice as good in my opinion. Way more textures and a tighter bass
 



 


Lol, which one? tongue.gif
post #4745 of 16802

Dear Mr. ljokerl,

 

What would you say has the same or similar sound to the e-Q7 except cost <$175?

post #4746 of 16802

Joker,

 

Thanks so much for taking your time and helping me.

 

 

I was thinking about the Beyer 101 as a great option...

But...

(Please be prepared for one of the worlds stupidest reasons in your life about a decision on a pair of earphones...(

The 101 just looks.....

Dull and boring... It doesn't look very good at all...

 

The main reason I am doing this was because all my friends thought my M9's were super cheap and crappy because of it's looks. I thought the M9's looked pretty nice, but all of my friends didn't... They had to put it on to believe they were great headphones.

 

I really don't want to do this again..

The 101's LOOK even cheaper than the m9's.. ( though it probably sounds GREAT )

 

I can't believe i'm doing this but....

I have to take the beyer out over LOOKS. ( God, this is embaressing.. )

 

I decided to add the  Dunu Trident in instead..

It's cheap, and sounds decent, but It almost looks as good as the Monster Turbines...

Just LOOKING at it makes it look super expensive.. It doesn't sound very bad either.

 

The brainwavz M2 probably sound better... But it doesn't look like anything special at all..

 

How shameful it is to ask...:

 

Brainwavz M2 vs. Dunu Trident

 

With looks added to your decision?

post #4747 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
All of those easily isolate more than the RE0 but none of them sound as good. unless you are looking for a different sound signature. Listening preferences differ, obviously, but if you're asking my opinion you'll be spending a lot to find sound better than the RE0 with good isolation - think Etymotic HF5 or FIscher Audio SBA-03. Both should be around £100. I'm afraid you won't get away with spending less than that.

 

I'll try grab the HF5, unfortunately it is £100 so I may try grabbing a second hand pair. I'm just worried about the long term usage because if I grab it off eBay and it breaks within one month then obviously I will be very disheartened, especially as I am a student. The FA SBA-03 isn't in the UK yet unfortunately. But Frogbeats may have it soon but I've not really questioned them. I've ordered some Phonak PFEs from ClieOS's recommendation and if they don't go well then I'll put them on sale here or on eBay. I am looking forward to the Phonak PFEs though.

 

It's a shame I have to pay so much! If only the RE0 was a bit more isolating! I'll be more than happy to get customs as soon as I earn a salary haha! This upgrade path and curiosity in different sound signatures kills my wallet!

 

EDIT: I'm also very interested in the Kozee X1 Executives, if I can get them in the UK without paying too much extra for shipping then I'll be willing to go for it. How would you compare these with the Phonak PFEs and the RE0 exclusively? Just a simple explanation with the sound signature and clarity/detail and sound stage will be enough for me!

 

Thanks a lot!


Edited by Ulti - 11/12/11 at 8:35pm
post #4748 of 16802

ljokerl, just wanted to say you've done a downright amazing job here! Keep up the good work! Earbuds are always hard as no store will ever let you try them for obvious reasons, a review/comparison like this is a godsend. smile_phones.gif

As I personally don't want to spend more than $30 because I don't want to worry about losing/breaking my gear, I could fairly quickly filter the MEElectronics M6 from the table to read it's review. Low price, good sound and (although it's personal) they look really good. I always feel I look just a little silly when using standard little-stick-sticking-out-of-your-ears-thingies, M6 looks really good in comparison. It's not the primary reason for my choice, but it is definitely a factor.

I've just ordered them online (will now have to wait for a bit), but I would have probably never even found them without you. smile.gif Once again, thanks. smile.gif

 

[edit]

I also wanted to note I noticed the MEElectronics A151 can be found for ~$50 on eBay and Amazon, quite a bit cheaper than meelec.com ($75). They were still slightly too expensive for me, but perhaps this information is useful for someone else.


Edited by W3ird_N3rd - 11/12/11 at 6:41pm
post #4749 of 16802

Mr. ljokerl, I need your advice!

 

First of all thank you very much for the prize gift you gave a long time ago for guessing what earphones you'd be reviewing--my brother, who needed headphones at the time, loved using the M11+s and liked their bass and smooth presentation.  He broke them unfortunately, I think at one of the strains connecting to the earpiece. So I am looking to replace them and thanks to your reviews it looks like I will be buying him DUNU tridents for their build and SS.

 

But on a more important note, I am looking to replace my full-size cans (Fischer Audio FA-003s) with some nice IEMs around $170.  However I am not quite sure which model will fit my preferences.

 

I like a warm tonal balance with very full and impactful, well-controlled bass supporting a lush but well-textured midrange and a just slightly sparkly treble (not rolled off).  The epitome of this sound signature would be the LCD-2 paired with a tube amp, not surprisingly.  But I find that the main attraction of that full-size setup is its effortless warmth and bass extension that feels like the weighty bottom of a pyramid instead of a hulk dominating the midrange and treble.  That, along with good crispness in the midrange and treble.

 

Are there any IEMs in the sub-200 range that achieve this kind of bass-driven but refined balance?

For reference:

- I am selling the FA-003s because I walk around with my iPod and they are not really portable, but also because they are a little short of being full-bodied in their bass and midbass.  Their midrange texture is nice and so is their treble.  I heard they sound similar to the DBA-02s.

- I found the Sunrise X-Capes to be very anemic in bass, and they had an okay soundstage but the lack of body made it just sound distant.  I don't remember much about it since I owned it a long time ago.

- The Fischer Audio Eternas were perhaps a tad too much in the bass department.  But I liked that it erred on the side of too much instead of too little.  The bass is looser than I would like.  Also the treble is very rolled off and I miss some sparkle.  The midrange is a little overpowered by the bass too.  The soundstage was pretty nice.

- The JVC-FX67s get the frequency balance somewhat close to what I would like, but they lack detail, control, punch and some sparkle.

 

Any help would be so appreciated, please reply at your convenience!

post #4750 of 16802

ahhh okay joker, iill take a look at them thank you very much :) 

post #4751 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by -y0- View Post

Dear Mr. ljokerl,

 

What would you say has the same or similar sound to the e-Q7 except cost <$175?


Nothing is as poised with that same sound signature. The HiSound Crystals can be reminiscent at times though they are bassier and not nearly as refined. The Fischer Tandem, too, though it doesn't quite have that same sprightly crispness.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoNoodles View Post

Brainwavz M2 vs. Dunu Trident

 

With looks added to your decision?


I think the red DTX 101s look pretty snazzy but that's just me. M2 is better than the Trident IMO but if looks matter more than just get whatever looks best. The Trident is great value, no doubt about that.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulti View Post

 

EDIT: I'm also very interested in the Kozee X1 Executives, if I can get them in the UK without paying too much extra for shipping then I'll be willing to go for it. How would you compare these with the Phonak PFEs and the RE0 exclusively? Just a simple explanation with the sound signature and clarity/detail and sound stage will be enough for me!

 

Thanks a lot!


I think someone else tried and the shipping cost was something like $50 extra. Sound-wise the X1 is not much of an upgrade over the RE0 or PFE but it won't be a step down, either. Similar clarity, maybe a bit less treble detail than the RE0 and gray-filtered PFE, but definitely a wider soundstage. Soundstage width was very impressive with them even though they don't have the best 3-d space.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post

ljokerl, just wanted to say you've done a downright amazing job here! Keep up the good work! Earbuds are always hard as no store will ever let you try them for obvious reasons, a review/comparison like this is a godsend. smile_phones.gif

As I personally don't want to spend more than $30 because I don't want to worry about losing/breaking my gear, I could fairly quickly filter the MEElectronics M6 from the table to read it's review. Low price, good sound and (although it's personal) they look really good. I always feel I look just a little silly when using standard little-stick-sticking-out-of-your-ears-thingies, M6 looks really good in comparison. It's not the primary reason for my choice, but it is definitely a factor.


Glad the thread has been helpful! The M6 is a good choice if you're looking something disposable. Both of the colors are quite discrete.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayang View Post

I like a warm tonal balance with very full and impactful, well-controlled bass supporting a lush but well-textured midrange and a just slightly sparkly treble (not rolled off).  The epitome of this sound signature would be the LCD-2 paired with a tube amp, not surprisingly.  But I find that the main attraction of that full-size setup is its effortless warmth and bass extension that feels like the weighty bottom of a pyramid instead of a hulk dominating the midrange and treble.  That, along with good crispness in the midrange and treble.

 

Are there any IEMs in the sub-200 range that achieve this kind of bass-driven but refined balance?

For reference:

- I am selling the FA-003s because I walk around with my iPod and they are not really portable, but also because they are a little short of being full-bodied in their bass and midbass.  Their midrange texture is nice and so is their treble.  I heard they sound similar to the DBA-02s.

- I found the Sunrise X-Capes to be very anemic in bass, and they had an okay soundstage but the lack of body made it just sound distant.  I don't remember much about it since I owned it a long time ago.

- The Fischer Audio Eternas were perhaps a tad too much in the bass department.  But I liked that it erred on the side of too much instead of too little.  The bass is looser than I would like.  Also the treble is very rolled off and I miss some sparkle.  The midrange is a little overpowered by the bass too.  The soundstage was pretty nice.

- The JVC-FX67s get the frequency balance somewhat close to what I would like, but they lack detail, control, punch and some sparkle.

 

Any help would be so appreciated, please reply at your convenience!



The JVC HA-FX500 comes to mind - definitely bassy, slightly warm, heavy on treble sparkle. Might be a little too sparkly depending on your tolerance but there's not much else I can think of at that level of performance with a more fitting signature. The Audio-Technica CKM99 is up there but it's got many of the same issues and less bass depth than the FX500; the Panasonic HJE900 may be fitting as well but it is difficult to find. 

 

Alternatively, if you'd prefer less sparkle rather than more, there's the Fischer Tandem. Good but not overpowering bass and mids but not much sparkle at all. 

 

Interesting exercise - would be nice if everyone had so many reference points when asking for recommendations. 

post #4752 of 16802
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


I think someone else tried and the shipping cost was something like $50 extra. Sound-wise the X1 is not much of an upgrade over the RE0 or PFE but it won't be a step down, either. Similar clarity, maybe a bit less treble detail than the RE0 and gray-filtered PFE, but definitely a wider soundstage. Soundstage width was very impressive with them even though they don't have the best 3-d space.


At $240 then the value drops dramatically, however customs is something I want to try, whether it's entry stuff or high quality stuff. I never thought that I'd be able to try them so quickly, being a student.

 

There are also the Minerva Mi-1 which I can get in the UK with a 2 week turnaround for £150 ($240) but it lacks removable cables (with something this expensive, I really worry for long term usage and as we all know, the cable is usually the weakest point and most prone to dying) and customisation options cost quite a bit extra. If only I could get student discount!

 

Thanks for the help Joker, you've been brilliant!

post #4753 of 16802

I was wondering if you've ever tried UE200 or if you know, roughly, how they compare to the earphones you've reviewed. I've only ever used cheap earphones so far, but now I want to get a good pair with decent sound. I love your guide, but I've never tried any of the earphones on the list so I'm still not really sure where to start. I don't really like the sound of the UE200 but they're the only widely available earphones I have so I figured they'd make an okay baseline. Any help at all would be wonderful. Thank you. :)

post #4754 of 16802

Hey Joker, general thoughts on the UE500? I received mine today and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Mids are slightly recessed and treble is rolled off quite a bit, but the bass and presentation are fantastic for a <70 headphone. Resolution isn't bad either. Wanted to see if your impressions mirrored mine, thanks!

post #4755 of 16802

how are the klipsch s4 in terms of bass? are they better than the sennheiser cx300? because they are what i have now and i want to be able to compare them :) 

 

how are the klipsch s4 also compared to the s3 and monster turbine?

and also the soundmagic e10?

thanks 


Edited by Prazzyp - 11/13/11 at 10:21am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)