or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 295

post #4411 of 16802

The man has his life to live too you know :)

post #4412 of 16802

void


Edited by bmeat - 8/12/14 at 9:39am
post #4413 of 16802
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

 

and how are they compared to the pl50 in vocal/mid-fwdness ?


More so... PL50 is mid-centric but still reasonably balanced overall.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerA View Post

I'm in Europe and E10/M1/ProAlpha/TD-III (All Xears models) are in the same pricerange. M2 (€45) is even more expensive than any Xears model (€38). Since I already have 2 Xears models, the Resonance and XSR330PRO I wanted to try out a IEM from a different brand. But by reading your reviews i'm not sure I should go for other brands. Unfortunately I don't think you have tried the XSR because it's not a sound signature I like. I feel the bass it produces dominates a bit too much and the vocals are too much in the front, that even sometimes some words are just too hard to hear. I like them a bit further away. Maybe it's because of the XSR that I find the Resonance bass light. When I first got them I don't think they were THAT bass light, now whenever I use them again they are devoid of any bass :/

 

The M2 scored lower than the TD-III and in it's turn it scored lower than the XE200PRO. This one and N3i are your highest scoring Xears models. Shouldn't I go for one of these instead? Though the XE200PRO is sold out atm and will be available in a walnut version later on.


The XE200PRO may not have enough bass if you find the Resonance lacking - they're pretty similar in impact. N3i might have too recessed mids if you're after vocals.. TD-III is more forward.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post

On that note, Joker you are a legend!  You have been thanked a thousand times but once more won't hurt smily_headphones1.gif I appreciate your efforts so much and enjoy reading your reviews very much...thanks!  It was based on this thread and your portables thread that I purchased the ProAlpha and the CAL!  They are both bang on the sound I like.

 

You may get a pair of XSR's in the post ksc75smile.gif

 


Thanks, glad someone out there is still enjoying the ProAlpha (and CAL! wink.gif). 

 

I think Thomas@Xears was going to send me one of the new models, not sure which.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrett View Post

I just wanted to add that the ECCI PR401 is now $70 at lendmeurears (has been for a couple weeks) and that I think it's a wonderful sounding and overlooked IEM etysmile.gif


I agree smily_headphones1.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by NuckinFutz View Post

Whilst I'm here, Joker can you give me some advice.  I mentioned on the Xears thread I would like to try:

 

Dunu Trident

Fischer Audio Eterna

Fischer Audio Genesis

Xears TD-III

Xears Resonance

HiSoundAudio Popo

Brainwavz M2

 

Based on myexperience with the XT2 Pro and XSR I think Xears may not be my thing.  I guess I'm after something similar to the ProAlpha but with more extention either end. I don't want anything with a narrow soundstage as I'm finding the Xears. I know you will say M2, and I will get them somewhen, but I would like to try other manufacturers.  I've left off Meelectronics from that list.....was looking at the SP51.

 

Thanks in advance.



I've not heard the Genesis. Looking at that list I'd recommend the Eterna over the others. It'll have more bass than the ProAlpha but also sounds more spacious and has pretty good presence across the frequency spectrum. The XE200 (when it's back in stock) might be worth considering as well.



Quote:
Originally Posted by 50an6xy06r6n View Post

Hey, ljokerl, (or anyone else who can answer this) do you think the GR07s would be a suitable upper-midrange upgrade from the A151's? I listen to mostly Indie/Alternative Rock, with some classical and miscellaneous stuff thrown in... Thanks for your work on this extremely helpful thread, btw...


Depends on how much you hate the A151 because the GR07 sounds very different - brighter, a lot more impactful, and way more spacious. I do think it works well with your genres but it's not something I would peg as an A151 upgrade in terms of signature.

 


Edited by ljokerl - 10/11/11 at 9:38pm
post #4414 of 16802

Thanks ljokerl! Even though I like my A151s, I haven't really been able to explore the different sound signatures out there, so I think I'll give the GR07's a try, given your recommendation for my genres of music

post #4415 of 16802

can't wait for your conclusion about

Sunrise Xcited

Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition

 

thanks!!

post #4416 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

More so... PL50 is mid-centric but still reasonably balanced overall. 



Would the PL50 be the closest to the mid-range signature of the UM3X (on the cheap), or would you recommend another cheaper alternative to the UM3X?

 

BTW, what's in store for #200? wink.gif

post #4417 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

The XE200PRO may not have enough bass if you find the Resonance lacking - they're pretty similar in impact. N3i might have too recessed mids if you're after vocals.. TD-III is more forward.



Do you maybe know a IEM with a similar signature to the Superlux HD-668B? That is what i'm looking for in a IEM.

post #4418 of 16802

Dear Joker,

 

I've used the Xears TDIII, XE200PRO, Xi200PRO, XSR330PRO and the XGF500PRO.

 

What would I notice if I got the SoundMagic E10s compared to to the Xears that I've tried? (I assume you've only used the TDIIIs and XE200PRO so it's great if you can give me a quick comparison!)

 

I prefer just enough, quick tight bass, more in front vocals and clarity is quite nice. Not sure how to explain my music taste better than that.

post #4419 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by cocolinho View Post

can't wait for your conclusion about

Sunrise Xcited

Sunrise Xcape Impressive Edition

 

thanks!!


I'm waiting for Sunrise to get back to me regarding what has been done about the build quality of these products

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSyde View Post

Would the PL50 be the closest to the mid-range signature of the UM3X (on the cheap), or would you recommend another cheaper alternative to the UM3X?

 

BTW, what's in store for #200? wink.gif


Maybe the UE600/SuperFi 5 or even Brainwavz M2 but the PL50/A151 are good as well. #200 will be something from the planned queue. No surprises, unfortunately

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerA View Post

Do you maybe know a IEM with a similar signature to the Superlux HD-668B? That is what i'm looking for in a IEM.

 

GR07, maybe, (or Soungmagic E30 on a budget) but you seem to be after more bass than that.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulti View Post

Dear Joker,

 

I've used the Xears TDIII, XE200PRO, Xi200PRO, XSR330PRO and the XGF500PRO.

 

What would I notice if I got the SoundMagic E10s compared to to the Xears that I've tried? (I assume you've only used the TDIIIs and XE200PRO so it's great if you can give me a quick comparison!)

 

I prefer just enough, quick tight bass, more in front vocals and clarity is quite nice. Not sure how to explain my music taste better than that.



Yes, I've only used two of those and they both have more upfront vocals than the E10. You might even like the E30 better than the E10, or the Brainwavz M2. Even the MEE CC51 is less mid-recessed than the E10 and has better clarity and detail overall. If you could say what you like and what you'd like improved about the XE200 and TD-III that might help narrow it down.

post #4420 of 16802

Giving you another thanks :)  Found a pair I liked after only the second one.  First I bought was the R02.  Sound was fine but that memory cable annoyed me so much.  Thought I could get used to getting it to stick around the ears till it "learned". Whenever I take it out of the case I have this coiled cord plugging into the laptop which is the part that really annoyed me.

 

So 2nd one was the A151.  The cable is awesome.  The angled plug threw me off though, but once I figured that out the fit was great.  Although the medium tip that is usually fine for me was actually kinda painful with these.  Double flange fixed that.  Even with these being my first BA earphones, I can still agree with pretty much the entire review.  The sound is really accurate but also not fatiguing.  Granted my main headphone is the sennheiser HD558 so I'm used to accurate sound signatures.  I'd have like a little more bass but I'm still happy with it.  I actually like the more recessed highs since that makes these easy to listen without fatigue.  For example I played Ellie Goulding's Lights album (came out this year I think so has practically no dynamic range) with the R02.  With maybe 2 or 3 tracks left I started to get kinda fidgety and just wanted the album to end.  Did the same with the A151 and had no problems.

 

At any rate, thanks for the review and saving me a lot of trial and error.

post #4421 of 16802

So after a couple months the upgrade bug is biting... I've currently got the Shure SE215 and am generally happy with their sound, but after having listened to them for a while I find myself wishing their clarity/detailing were better. What are some options for a step up keeping to the same form factor?

 

Important to note: I have a *lot* of fit issues with iems. I settled with the SE215 because it actually fits me, if maybe just a tiny smidge too big, but it does hold quite securely. Straight barrel plugs do not fit me at all.

post #4422 of 16802
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by vrillusions View Post

Giving you another thanks :)  Found a pair I liked after only the second one.  First I bought was the R02.  Sound was fine but that memory cable annoyed me so much.  Thought I could get used to getting it to stick around the ears till it "learned". Whenever I take it out of the case I have this coiled cord plugging into the laptop which is the part that really annoyed me.

 

So 2nd one was the A151.  The cable is awesome.  The angled plug threw me off though, but once I figured that out the fit was great.  Although the medium tip that is usually fine for me was actually kinda painful with these.  Double flange fixed that.  Even with these being my first BA earphones, I can still agree with pretty much the entire review.  The sound is really accurate but also not fatiguing.  Granted my main headphone is the sennheiser HD558 so I'm used to accurate sound signatures.  I'd have like a little more bass but I'm still happy with it.  I actually like the more recessed highs since that makes these easy to listen without fatigue.  For example I played Ellie Goulding's Lights album (came out this year I think so has practically no dynamic range) with the R02.  With maybe 2 or 3 tracks left I started to get kinda fidgety and just wanted the album to end.  Did the same with the A151 and had no problems.

 

At any rate, thanks for the review and saving me a lot of trial and error.



Awesome, congrats on the happy ending wink.gif. Glad you were able to find the right signature.

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post

So after a couple months the upgrade bug is biting... I've currently got the Shure SE215 and am generally happy with their sound, but after having listened to them for a while I find myself wishing their clarity/detailing were better. What are some options for a step up keeping to the same form factor?

 

Important to note: I have a *lot* of fit issues with iems. I settled with the SE215 because it actually fits me, if maybe just a tiny smidge too big, but it does hold quite securely. Straight barrel plugs do not fit me at all.



GR07, maybe? Definitely clearer and more detailed than the SE215 and I like the form factor better, personally. The sound is more neutral and the bass is a touch less pronounced but on the whole it's an impressive performer. You could go Westone 2 and retain the ergonomic form factor but that's even farther away from the SE215 in signature.

post #4423 of 16802

eagerly waiting your re-272 review L3000.gif

post #4424 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

GR07, maybe, (or Soungmagic E30 on a budget) but you seem to be after more bass than that.


I'm actually really happy with the sound signature of the Superlux HD-668B. They definitely have more bass than the Resonance. I think there's a nice balance between bass, treble and vocal clarity.

 

I think i'll stay around the $50-70 pricerange for now. So, the E30 are similar to the Superlux? I'm not sure i'm gonna get a good fit with those. The nozzle (is that how you call it?) is angled, just like the Resonance(?) The Resonance always fall out of my ear. But with the E30 you have to wear it over the ear (?). Never tried one of those. I actually only want a step up from the Resonance as far as bass/treble and vocal clarity goes. Cuz I have to say that my opinion about the Resonance's bass output has been clouded by the XSR330PRO, that one is just a bass monster. Even the CX300-400 sounds tame compared to them.

 

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your constant input. I really appreciate it.

post #4425 of 16802
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerA View Post

I'm actually really happy with the sound signature of the Superlux HD-668B. They definitely have more bass than the Resonance. I think there's a nice balance between bass, treble and vocal clarity.

 

I think i'll stay around the $50-70 pricerange for now. So, the E30 are similar to the Superlux? I'm not sure i'm gonna get a good fit with those. The nozzle (is that how you call it?) is angled, just like the Resonance(?) The Resonance always fall out of my ear. But with the E30 you have to wear it over the ear (?). Never tried one of those. I actually only want a step up from the Resonance as far as bass/treble and vocal clarity goes. Cuz I have to say that my opinion about the Resonance's bass output has been clouded by the XSR330PRO, that one is just a bass monster. Even the CX300-400 sounds tame compared to them.

 

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your constant input. I really appreciate it.



Yes, E30 nozzle is angled, though not very much. I don't think you'll find a full step up from the Resonance that also has more bass outside of the higher-end Xears models, and even then none of them improve on clarity. An improvement in clarity with decent bass would be something like the MEE CC51 but I don't think it's bassier than a Resonance. If you can find a Hippo VB that might be an option but it has a different sound profile.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)