or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 266

post #3976 of 16803

hey joker congrats for your "Portables Reviewerus Prolificus" title. that's nice (whatever it means). sounds like a lost specie in an evolution chain eek.gif

post #3977 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

I know it's been mentioned a few times already, but I thought I'd ask anyways; any chance the GR10 can make the list my friend?


Not planing on it - think I've got enough to get through as is.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

i saw a while ago a reference to the meelec series explaining what each number and/or letter stands for

does anyone know a link to that?  cant find it myself now


I don't know where it is but it was something like First letter - series; Second letter - housing material; 1st number (if present) - number of drivers; 2nd number - model line; 3rd number - model number. The rules did not apply to the older models so it was pretty confusing. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

hey joker congrats for your "Portables Reviewerus Prolificus" title. that's nice (whatever it means). sounds like a lost specie in an evolution chain eek.gif


I am the missing link etysmile.gif

post #3978 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

I am the missing link etysmile.gif


Indeed you are, my friend. Indeed you are. LOL. (I meant that in a good way of course! )

 

post #3979 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Added Xears CP100iP. Updated TD-III review to v2. Updated queue.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

(3A61) Xears Communicate CP100iP

Xears Communicate CP100iP 400x300.jpg
Reviewed Aug 2011

Details: Entry-level single-button headset from Xears
Current Price: est $35 (24€) from ebay.de (MSRP: 39,95€)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: N/A | Sens: N/A | Freq: N/A | Cable: 4’ I-plug
Nozzle Size: 5mm | Preferred tips: Stock foamies, stock single-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3/5) – Single-flange (3 sizes) and bi-flange silicone tips, foamhybrid tips, and padded carrying pouch
Build Quality (3/5) – The build quality of the aluminum CP100iP is similar to the older XR120 model with its long strain reliefs and somewhat stiff rubbery cable but the housings seem to come apart more readily and the appearance is let down by the somewhat cheap-looking paper filters. Driver flex is mild
Isolation (3.5/5) – Good with silicone tips and a bit better with the foamies
Microphonics (3.5/5) – Tolerable when worn cable-down, good when worn over-the-ear
Comfort (4/5) – The CP100iP is very lightweight and has longer nozzles and a smaller housing diameter than most of the other Xears earphones, resulting in good long-term comfort

Sound (7.1/10) – The sound of the CP100iP follows the usual Xears mold – plentiful bass, smooth mids, and competent treble. The low end is powerful but not quite as deep and hard-hitting as that of the similarly-priced Dunu Trident. There is a larger mid-bass hump than with the Trident and more bass body but the CP100iP is still not as much of a bass beast as Xears’ boomier-sounding PS120, TD-III, or N3i models, reminding me more of the Xears Resonance. The low-end detail retrieval lags slightly behind the Dunu sets but the CP100iP is quicker and cleaner overall.

The midrange of the CP100iP is crisp and fairly open-sounding. It’s a bit less warm and full-bodied compared to the pricier N3i and XE200 models and also lacks some of the detail but still has good presence, beating out the Resonance in emphasis. The treble, as usual, is smooth and a bit laid-back. Top-end extension is decent and overall sparkle quantity is low-to-moderate.

The soundstage is above average in size - not as large as that of the XE200PRO or Resonance but still quite spacious for an entry-level in-ear. The XE200 also images more consistently across its stage whereas the CP100iP seems to have more of a left-right-center presentation. Instrumental separation is good, however, and the overall sound is airy and open without sacrificing cohesiveness. A point worth noting – the sensitivity of the CP100iP is relatively high and may hiss or buzz a bit with poorly-matched sources.

Value (8/10) – The CP100iP entry-level headset model delivers more of the Xears goodness in a reasonably-priced, smartphone-compatible package. As usual, the audio quality is well above average, the build quality is mediocre, and the nonexistent packaging leaves much to be desired. That said, the smooth and bass-heavy sound signature is not too different from that of the pricier Resonance model and those looking specifically for a stereo headset will be hard-pressed to find anything that sounds better for the money.

 

Pros: Lightweight and comfortable; solid sound quality with a popular signature
Cons: Mediocre build quality

post #3980 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyiris View Post

I'm trying to decide between the Apple Dual-Driver IEMs, and  Klipsh Custom 2, or if I should just stick to dynamic or single armature drivers considering my price-range. Both of the Dual-Armature drivers within my price range have quirks about them that turn me off, whilst dynamic driver IEMs within the same price range seem to be moer impressive in terms of  build, SQ, and value.

My choices thus far:

 

Dual Armature IEMs:

 

Apple Dual-Driver IEMs
Klipsh Custom 2 <- a stretch. Trying to avoid spending more than $50.

 

Dynamic Driver:

Brainwavz ProAlpha
Brainwavz M1
Xears Nature N3i

 

A more detailed look at what I listen to:

 

I listen MOSTLY to various works by Yuki Kajiura. Specifically, the stuff she's produced as Kalafina and Fictionjuction. Red Moon, Everlasting Songs, and Fictionjuction 2008-2010: The Best of Yuki Kajiura Live. Her works are extremely varied. Anywhere from minimalist classical to jazz to pop with classical and opera influences. Many tracks are extremely bass-heavy with relatively technical melodies. for her instrumental tracks. Vocal tracks are a relatively simplistic melody, often electric guitar or violin, heavy bass, and mostly choir-style vocals. anywhere between 3 to 5 vocalists at any one time. Single vocalist is fairly rare.

 

Next on the list is Prog/Power. Rhapsody of Fire, Seventh Wonder, Lost Horizon, Machinae Supremacy, Powerglove, Galneryus, and some avant-garde stuff like Arcturus and  In The Woods. With the exception of Machinae Supremacy who is closer to generic mainstream style music, such as hard rock and punk, whilst staying primerily power metal, the bands I klst are all extremely technical with loads of things going on. Intricate guitar, symphonic, and basslines. I'm looking for something relatively analytical.

 

Finally, not counting things I listen to on a less frequent basis are various electronic genres, and rap. Mostly, I listen to Tonedeff, Deepsky, Hyper, SuperGreenX, The Flashbulb, Lumin, Onoken, and Zircon. All of these artists are relatively bass-heavy whilst still having intricate melodies.

 

I'll be listening to these from my rooted LG Optimus V with an unlocked PowerAmp.

post #3981 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyiris View Post

I listen MOSTLY to various works by Yuki Kajiura. Specifically, the stuff she's produced as Kalafina and Fictionjuction. Red Moon, Everlasting Songs, and Fictionjuction 2008-2010: The Best of Yuki Kajiura Live. Her works are extremely varied. Anywhere from minimalist classical to jazz to pop with classical and opera influences. Many tracks are extremely bass-heavy with relatively technical melodies. for her instrumental tracks. Vocal tracks are a relatively simplistic melody, often electric guitar or violin, heavy bass, and mostly choir-style vocals. anywhere between 3 to 5 vocalists at any one time. Single vocalist is fairly rare.

Next on the list is Prog/Power. Rhapsody of Fire, Seventh Wonder, Lost Horizon, Machinae Supremacy, Powerglove, Galneryus, and some avant-garde stuff like Arcturus and In The Woods. With the exception of Machinae Supremacy who is closer to generic mainstream style music, such as hard rock and punk, whilst staying primerily power metal, the bands I klst are all extremely technical with loads of things going on. Intricate guitar, symphonic, and basslines. I'm looking for something relatively analytical.

Finally, not counting things I listen to on a less frequent basis are various electronic genres, and rap. Mostly, I listen to Tonedeff, Deepsky, Hyper, SuperGreenX, The Flashbulb, Lumin, Onoken, and Zircon. All of these artists are relatively bass-heavy whilst still having intricate melodies.
 


Your picks are all over the place but I would go dynamic.in that price range without hesitating. You can still get relatively analytical sound from dynamic-driver models such as the JVC HA-FXC80, Meelec CX21, or Hippo Shroom. Personally, I would get the Soundmagic E30 instead as it offers a good blend of resolution/detail, space, and bass impact, or a Xears XE200PRO (if you can swing the price), for the same reasons.

post #3982 of 16803


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

I don't know where it is but it was something like First letter - series; Second letter - housing material; 1st number (if present) - number of drivers; 2nd number - model line; 3rd number - model number. The rules did not apply to the older models so it was pretty confusing. 
 

it's back

http://www.meelec.com/Articles.asp?ID=136#NAME

post #3983 of 16803

heard that the MDR EX-1000 was comparable to JH11s. i guess I am mistaken.

post #3984 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteki View Post

P.S. Dr. Fang says the RE272 rival $1000 customs in the mids and highs.

 

Well, I prefer RE272 to any multi driver IEM I've heard to date including the $850 Westone ES3X customs. It's all a matter of preference, remember. The $1000 custom will only sound great if you like the signature. If you don't, then you may prefer a headphone that costs far less.

post #3985 of 16803

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuahogary View Post

lol actually hate is a strong word! My bad! tongue.gif

 

Let's just say most of us agreed that we wouldn't pay more than $170 for them. It sounds dull to me and the detail, soundstage or dynamic range really isn't that impressive. A lot of hyped reviews out there IMO. Reminds me of the UM3x ahem! Don't get me wrong - it is a good IEM, but great? I don't think so.

 

Granted it wasn't burnt in for more than 50 hours, but then comes your recent discussion about burn in, Personally, I think driver burn in exist because I've experienced it under extreme conditions - the HJE900 literally went from more unlistenable than $5 earbuds to something more amazing than the W3. And I didn't listen to the HJE at all during its burn in. Very rare this, but it erases all my skepticism. 

 

Umm, ok. First of all, RE272 has very little in common with UM3X in sound. RE272 is way brighter, has less midrange and low end emphasis than the UM3X. Second of all, the detail of RE272 is at least in the ballpark with IEMs like FX700 and Westone 4. I compared the RE272 to the latter two and I really couldn't feel like RE272 lacks detail by comparison. Third of all, the soundstage on the RE272 is more open than that of even the FX700 and W4 to my ears and imaging is nice and solid. The soundstage is not as good as with my DT880, but for an IEM, it's about the best I've heard. Fourth of all, the dynamics on RE272 are not lacking in any way to my ears compared directly to FX700 and Westone 4 and only lack a tiny little bit perhaps vs. the DT880, but DT880 is a dynamic range monster. Lastly, RE272 doesn't sound dull - it sounds extremely clean and very well defined from top to bottom and with excellent presence in the upper highs. It's not ER4 defined, but better defined than my FX700 for example.

 

Just my 2 cents of course, but I had to write this because I just totally disagree with everything you wrote there about the RE272. Perhaps you just didn't get a good fit with them? Or maybe they were broken or something.

post #3986 of 16803

hello :)

 

quick question, is there a IEM with great mids and good bass ? i'd like to upgrade from the re-262's . budget £400.

 

thanks for reading ;)

post #3987 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming Of A Better ... View Post

hello :)

 

quick question, is there a IEM with great mids and good bass ? i'd like to upgrade from the re-262's . budget £400.

 

thanks for reading ;)

 

Well, RE262 is a great IEM. What exactly don't you like about them? If you don't like the mids on RE262 then perhaps you want something with less color? Then Westone 4 or the RE272 will be good choices - they have more neutral mids than the RE262 with less thickness and warmth in exchange for better accuracy. If you want better bass quality though, you will be hard pressed to find it in any IEM within your budget because RE262 provides great bass quality in my opinion. If you just want a bigger, more powerful bass without losing on quality, then I recommend JVC FX700. Sony EX1000 or Westone 4 should also provide somewhat more hefty lows than the RE262, but not to the extent of the FX700. FX700 is a true basshead IEM with tons of bass, but what I love about them is that you can easily adjust the amount of low end with them using different tips. Put on large tips and they will rock your world. Put on smaller tips and you will get a significantly more neutral, but still beautifully punchy sound.

post #3988 of 16803

If he's looking to upgrade from the RE262's, and all the while wants great mids, I can almost guarantee he'd find the FX700's mids recessed. Alas, I haven't even a fraction of his experience; I'll let |joker| take this one, over anything I'd recommend...

post #3989 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ehan View Post

If he's looking to upgrade from the RE262's, and all the while wants great mids, I can almost guarantee he'd find the FX700's mids recessed. Alas, I haven't even a fraction of his experience; I'll let |joker| take this one, over anything I'd recommend...

 

I personally don't find the mids on FX700 recessed with a good fit. Sometimes they may seem a little bit behind all that bass and the sparkling treble, but they are all there when required IMO. And the mids quality on FX700 is out of this world. Outstanding timbre accuracy, detail, dynamics and clarity coupled with a wonderful subtle warmth from the wooden housing and driver. Musicality at its best IMO. I couldn't ask for more from an IEM really.

post #3990 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post

Quote:

 

Umm, ok. First of all, RE272 has very little in common with UM3X in sound. RE272 is way brighter, has less midrange and low end emphasis than the UM3X. Second of all, the detail of RE272 is at least in the ballpark with IEMs like FX700 and Westone 4. I compared the RE272 to the latter two and I really couldn't feel like RE272 lacks detail by comparison. Third of all, the soundstage on the RE272 is more open than that of even the FX700 and W4 to my ears and imaging is nice and solid. The soundstage is not as good as with my DT880, but for an IEM, it's about the best I've heard. Fourth of all, the dynamics on RE272 are not lacking in any way to my ears compared directly to FX700 and Westone 4 and only lack a tiny little bit perhaps vs. the DT880, but DT880 is a dynamic range monster. Lastly, RE272 doesn't sound dull - it sounds extremely clean and very well defined from top to bottom and with excellent presence in the upper highs. It's not ER4 defined, but better defined than my FX700 for example.

 

Just my 2 cents of course, but I had to write this because I just totally disagree with everything you wrote there about the RE272. Perhaps you just didn't get a good fit with them? Or maybe they were broken or something.


I think he wasnt referring to the sound of the UM3x and RE262 but rather he was likening the 'hype' around the RE262 to that of the UM3x.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)