or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 208

post #3106 of 16803
Originally Posted by UserFriendly View Post

You spelt Research wrong.


This was tongue in cheek, right?

post #3107 of 16803


No actually, I'm Australian, so we follow British English, so it's spelt, not spelled.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


This was tongue in cheek, right?



 

post #3108 of 16803
Originally Posted by UserFriendly View Post


No actually, I'm Australian, so we follow British English, so it's spelt, not spelled.
 


Noted! See.. I learn something here everyday..

post #3109 of 16803

I just purchased the Westone 2 earphones upon reading this extremely helpful thread and researching around here I was just wondering after 3-4 days of use that they sound brilliant on certain songs but they sound muffled on other tracks. ( Possibly due to wrong eartips? )

 

Im using the large Shure soft grey flex tips and was wondering if it would be recommended to purchase a relatively cheap amp for my earphones to improve the sound quality ( My source is a 2G ipod touch ) Take it easy on me as Im new here triportsad.gif  I was thinking of the Fiio e11, just wanted to here some opinions on this thanks again in advance etysmile.gif

post #3110 of 16803
I wouldn't exclude the possibility that some tracks sound muffled because they were recorded that way, and you're only just realizing it because you haven't heard them through very revealing headphones before.
post #3111 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ck3n View Post

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that some tracks sound muffled because they were recorded that way, and you're only just realizing it because you haven't heard them through very revealing headphones before.


may very well be just this.

post #3112 of 16803

Thanks for the Beyerdynamic review Joker! I am however torn between the two models. I like that the DTX 71 has forward midrange but I do prefer the isolation the DTX 101 seems to offer. Which sacrifice is smaller? (midrange forwardness from 71 to 101 or isolation from 101 to 71?) Thanks!!

post #3113 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Oh great, another dual driver dynamic.  Can't wait to see Senns 'special' pricing for that.  I'm assuming another poor fitting 'discus' design.  I'd love to see them manage -26dB w/ a discus design and I would be shocked if the large bass driver isn't vented.  Call me skeptical.



      This is Sennheiser we're talking about. They'll find some way. Maybe I'll come up with a few designs myself and post the designs here.

post #3114 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ck3n View Post

I wouldn't exclude the possibility that some tracks sound muffled because they were recorded that way, and you're only just realizing it because you haven't heard them through very revealing headphones before.

 

Hmm that could well be the case, however Its just that the vocals seem very far off? I don't know how to put it exactly. And It just seems to me despite being of the same file format and bitrate some songs sound crystal clear while others sound far-off and rather muffled. You maybe right though it could be my ears and brain adjusting to the sound of such earphones or the problem with the recording etysmile.gif
 

 

post #3115 of 16803

I tried posting this in a separate thread but nobody replied so I'm going to post it here and hopefully I will get a reply in time so I can finalize a decision on my next pair of earphones.

 

"There are many out there who claim that analytical earphones are antithetical to music enjoyment – that they cause the listener to hear the earphones and not the music." That was one of your statements in a IEM review.  As you can tell, I've definitely graduated from wanting good thumping punchy bass to finally being a little bit disappointed if the bass overpowers the other frequencies even slightly.  But that statement revealed  what I wanted and it is exactly what I'm going for.  Here's an elaboration made by markl, a fellow head-fi poster: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/203957/rudistor-rpx-33-dualmono-mark-ii-impressions-and-review-with-pics.  If you don't want to bother reading it, the key characteristics I'm looking for are in these little passages:

"Hefty SLAM and grinding, pounding, full bass. TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT bass. This amp has a rock-hard GRIP on the sound." 

"ORGANIC and NATURAL sound. It sounds just like life. This amp is anything but "THIN", reedy, spindly, or anemic. It's FULL, ROBUST and COMPLETE." 

"Deep, wet, and liquid sound. This is the antithesis of dry, digital, arid, analytical sound."  The second statement may make you and some people who cherish analytical headphones a little uneasy but it's the sound I'm after.  I wouldn't mind a reply from you, joker, or anyone else who loves this kind of sound, for that matter.  Frankly, I think you probably wouldn't give a recommendation on something you're not familiar with, but I'm sure some of your subscribers can help me out. 

 

With that said, can someone give me the absolute IEM's money can buy that offer that kind of sound, a pair of IEM's that produce that kind of sound at $200 or less, and finally a pair of headphones with the same sound but at $100 or less?  And I do also have to state that I would like to use these IEM's without an amp as I'm probably using a good amount of my savings for the IEM's.  Thanks to anyone who helps and I look forward to finalizing my decision and eventually finally listening through a pair of IEM's that are head-fi worthy. 

 

post #3116 of 16803

hey joker

maybe people already asked this , if so then sorry for asking again

anyway. i remember you said the W1 "shine"  with female vocals. in the review you mention the re0 and re-zero can compete well with the W1. but how are they compared in this , do they also shine? and what about the re262?

thanks

post #3117 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooptroopRocker View Post

Thanks for the Beyerdynamic review Joker! I am however torn between the two models. I like that the DTX 71 has forward midrange but I do prefer the isolation the DTX 101 seems to offer. Which sacrifice is smaller? (midrange forwardness from 71 to 101 or isolation from 101 to 71?) Thanks!!


The difference between the two stems more from the bass quantity of the DTX101 than the absolute position of the midrange. Really, both sacrifices are quite small but if you can handle the bass I'd go for the 101.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantompain View Post

Hmm that could well be the case, however Its just that the vocals seem very far off? I don't know how to put it exactly. And It just seems to me despite being of the same file format and bitrate some songs sound crystal clear while others sound far-off and rather muffled. You maybe right though it could be my ears and brain adjusting to the sound of such earphones or the problem with the recording etysmile.gif


Is the problem consistent between different recordings on a single album/master?

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by vcjha View Post

I tried posting this in a separate thread but nobody replied so I'm going to post it here and hopefully I will get a reply in time so I can finalize a decision on my next pair of earphones.

 

"There are many out there who claim that analytical earphones are antithetical to music enjoyment – that they cause the listener to hear the earphones and not the music." That was one of your statements in a IEM review.  As you can tell, I've definitely graduated from wanting good thumping punchy bass to finally being a little bit disappointed if the bass overpowers the other frequencies even slightly.  But that statement revealed  what I wanted and it is exactly what I'm going for.  Here's an elaboration made by markl, a fellow head-fi poster: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/203957/rudistor-rpx-33-dualmono-mark-ii-impressions-and-review-with-pics.  If you don't want to bother reading it, the key characteristics I'm looking for are in these little passages:

"Hefty SLAM and grinding, pounding, full bass. TIGHT, TIGHT, TIGHT bass. This amp has a rock-hard GRIP on the sound." 

"ORGANIC and NATURAL sound. It sounds just like life. This amp is anything but "THIN", reedy, spindly, or anemic. It's FULL, ROBUST and COMPLETE." 

"Deep, wet, and liquid sound. This is the antithesis of dry, digital, arid, analytical sound."  The second statement may make you and some people who cherish analytical headphones a little uneasy but it's the sound I'm after.  I wouldn't mind a reply from you, joker, or anyone else who loves this kind of sound, for that matter.  Frankly, I think you probably wouldn't give a recommendation on something you're not familiar with, but I'm sure some of your subscribers can help me out. 

 

With that said, can someone give me the absolute IEM's money can buy that offer that kind of sound, a pair of IEM's that produce that kind of sound at $200 or less, and finally a pair of headphones with the same sound but at $100 or less?  And I do also have to state that I would like to use these IEM's without an amp as I'm probably using a good amount of my savings for the IEM's.  Thanks to anyone who helps and I look forward to finalizing my decision and eventually finally listening through a pair of IEM's that are head-fi worthy. 

 


Sounds like one of the Monster earphones (Gold or MD) or one of the Radius sets (DDM or W21). For headphones, maybe the sony XB700, Creative Aurvana Live!, or AKG K181 will deliver what you're after - definitely read some reviews, though, because only you know what you really want. I do think 'tight' bass and 'full' bass are slightly antithetical to each other. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuka View Post

hey joker

maybe people already asked this , if so then sorry for asking again

anyway. i remember you said the W1 "shine"  with female vocals. in the review you mention the re0 and re-zero can compete well with the W1. but how are they compared in this , do they also shine? and what about the re262?

thanks


I think the RE-ZERO is a better earphone than the W1 all around. I really like the HiFiMan sets with all vocals, the RE-ZERO and RE262 especially. With the W1 it was more a matter of rendering vocals above its overall competency level.

 

post #3118 of 16803

then the re262 is even better in that matter? but the 3 of them are dynamic, can they compete in detail with BAs ?

post #3119 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 


The difference between the two stems more from the bass quantity of the DTX101 than the absolute position of the midrange. Really, both sacrifices are quite small but if you can handle the bass I'd go for the 101.

 


Is the problem consistent between different recordings on a single album/master?

 




Sounds like one of the Monster earphones (Gold or MD) or one of the Radius sets (DDM or W21). For headphones, maybe the sony XB700, Creative Aurvana Live!, or AKG K181 will deliver what you're after - definitely read some reviews, though, because only you know what you really want. I do think 'tight' bass and 'full' bass are slightly antithetical to each other. 

 




I think the RE-ZERO is a better earphone than the W1 all around. I really like the HiFiMan sets with all vocals, the RE-ZERO and RE262 especially. With the W1 it was more a matter of rendering vocals above its overall competency level.

 


Their from different albums though I have a feeling it may be due to the recording as mentioned before. Hmmm i guess im not too used to the earphones yet I suppose. This thread has been a major help for me and I am sure many other people to making excellent purchase and enjoying music. Thanks for everything etysmile.gif

 

post #3120 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 


The difference between the two stems more from the bass quantity of the DTX101 than the absolute position of the midrange. Really, both sacrifices are quite small but if you can handle the bass I'd go for the 101.

 


Is the problem consistent between different recordings on a single album/master?

 




Sounds like one of the Monster earphones (Gold or MD) or one of the Radius sets (DDM or W21). For headphones, maybe the sony XB700, Creative Aurvana Live!, or AKG K181 will deliver what you're after - definitely read some reviews, though, because only you know what you really want. I do think 'tight' bass and 'full' bass are slightly antithetical to each other. 

 




I think the RE-ZERO is a better earphone than the W1 all around. I really like the HiFiMan sets with all vocals, the RE-ZERO and RE262 especially. With the W1 it was more a matter of rendering vocals above its overall competency level.

 




Wow, never thought you would recommend a monster.  But you are right to say that full and tight are antithetical.  Would you say monster is tight or full?  I will definitely have to say tight is much more favorable to me now.  If not, please do recommend one that is tight with as close to that sound as it can get.  Thanks, and may your headphone collection be more plentiful.  I'm surprised you haven't reviewed some of the best yet.  I'm sure big sponsors such as jhaudio probably should know about your gigantic thread by now.  Oh, how awesome it would be to to see a review of the jh16pro from the great joker...


Edited by vcjha - 6/1/11 at 12:46pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)