or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 175

post #2611 of 16803
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

Man, you guys suck. I just cleared out some of my full-size headphones and now I plop more down for IEMs. Maybe getting into a portable rig was a terrible idea after all...

 

Anyway, GR07s purchased. I'll probably keep the CK10s around until I get them, unless the Q-jays or the MTPC sound better than I expect them to. Hopefully everything arrives quickly.


LOL.. I think you'll be quite happy, Aflac.  Out of the box, they definitely lean to the warmer side of things, midrange can feel a bit muffled, and the treble can sound a bit harsh.. fear not.. after 10 hours or so, you'll start to hear their true character.. after 100 hours, the treble fleshes out, gains sparkle, the bass tightens, gets impact, and has that wonderful texture, mids round to reveal some excellent timbre, and the entire FR gains a noticeable level of clarity.. at least to my ears.  One thing I'm continually impressed by is for a smooth sounding phone, the GR07 possess a surprising level of crispness.. it's a dichotomy of sorts.  Regardless, it makes for great listening.

 

I was kind of in the same boat as you in terms of being hesitant to throw down for another IEM I wasn't really sure I needed.  Between the 003, 004, DBA, PR401, & Silver Bullet (FA fanboy, right?), I felt I had all my musical bases covered pretty well.  But the more I read about them and ClieOS' glowing review made me take notice.

 

I'm in the middle of moving so all my possessions (phones included) are being shipped and won't arrive at my new residence for three weeks.  I decided to take one phone to listen to during the arduous wait and decided on the GR07.  Not only cause of its versatility, but because it's got tinges of the signature elements of my other phones all rolled into one: 003's neutrality, SB's airy soundstage & non-fatiguing smoothness (which the 004 also possess), DBA's speed/accuracy/layering/detail/musicality, and the iM-590/PR401's balance.

 

So if these are the things you're looking for, I think you'll be quite satisfied with the 07.. happy listening and do post your impressions.


Edited by FlySweep - 4/13/11 at 9:21pm
post #2612 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

Also, do you plan on doing more moving armature sets at some point in the future? Specifically, the Ortofon e-Q5 and the Grado GR8/10. I like your description of the e-Q7 but's above my price range. Thanks!


e-Q5 - yes. I think I forgot to put it on the list but I've had one for weeks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

Man, you guys suck. I just cleared out some of my full-size headphones and now I plop more down for IEMs. Maybe getting into a portable rig was a terrible idea after all...

 

Anyway, GR07s purchased. I'll probably keep the CK10s around until I get them, unless the Q-jays or the MTPC sound better than I expect them to. Hopefully everything arrives quickly.



The GR07 is a good earphone but the drivers really need some hours on them. My only other high-end dynamics are the IE6/IE7 and Radius W2, and the GR07 went from being tied with the IE6 for last place to beating out the W2 for first as far as my own listening is concerned. The only other higher-end dynamic that can compete in balance is the 252 and even that struggles to maintain an even presence across the range, which makes the GR07 very special. Aside from that. the real strength of the GR07 is its l.ck of glaring weaknesses (once the sibilance goes away, that is). I haven't read ClieOS's review but I really don't have anything to add to esantosh's write-up on techenclave,

post #2613 of 16803

I am really looking forward to your review of Kozee Infinity X1. If they provide good sound and value i will most likely buy them smily_headphones1.gif

post #2614 of 16803

I would like to double confirm the reviews on the Zune premium headphones. I have two pairs of these headphones. (I still use them...I'm a newbie) and while they do have surprisingly adequate isolation, the build quality isn't really that good. On one of them, the headphone jack cover came off, and the cloth just right on top of the audio jack is starting to fray. Also, for some reason, the inner plastic cord, burst out of the cloth and are now permanently stuck there, and they have formed loops. It's very odd.

 

On the case of isolation: I had a Mexican marachi brand playing right in front of me on an NYC subway, and a good amount of the sound was filtered out, and when I came into my friend's room, who was blasting music, I didn't notice until I took them off.  

post #2615 of 16803
how does the gr07 compare to the ck90? the descriptions sound somewhat similar, neutral with punchy bass.
post #2616 of 16803

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 


Yeah, I wouldn't rule it out.

 


That seems like a good list except for the Sennheisers, which I've not heard. However, unless the CX300-II is radically better than the CX300, I wouldn't expect much from them. As for the other two, I think you've pretty much got the gist of it. The R02 is a little bassier with slightly more muffled treble while the M1 is more even across the spectrum without losing that midrange emphasis all of the Brainwavz/ViSang earphones have. I like the M1 better myself. The R02 has a better build quality score because it has articulated strain reliefs. Depending on how rough you are with your cable, that may or may not make a difference in the long run. As for accessories, double check with the listing should you choose to purchase them - I really wouldn't know if ViSang decided to switch up the accessories since I don't keep in contact with them. 

 


 


Thanks. Will the m1 be ok to use with a sansa clip+ on the move (no amp).

post #2617 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by parshand View Post

 


Thanks. Will the m1 be ok to use with a sansa clip+ on the move (no amp).


I have that combo, and it works well.  You'll have to crank up the volume a little bit, but unless you listen to high volumes in general, it won't be a problem.  Those earphones don't need an amp, but they do require a bit more volume than most. 

 

post #2618 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by parshand View Post

Thanks. Will the m1 be ok to use with a sansa clip+ on the move (no amp).


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspot View Post

I have that combo, and it works well.  You'll have to crank up the volume a little bit, but unless you listen to high volumes in general, it won't be a problem.  Those earphones don't need an amp, but they do require a bit more volume than most. 

 


The Pro Alpha might be a good choice spec wise as well for the CLip+.  If you plan to EQ and Rockbox have a look at the specs of the Pro Alpha next to the M1.

 

post #2619 of 16803
Aloha Joker-san, from the land of the rising radiation count...

Been a while since I last looked-in on your prodigious, never-ending, ever-expanding magnum opus. Continue to be amazed. What caught my eye this time was your recent review of both JVC FX700 and Westone 4.

Late last year, looking to truly go to a new level, damn the body blows to the wallet, and after much cogitating, sweaty fretting, and incredibly gracious advice received from yourself, I pulled the proverbial trigger on a pair of JVC FX700's.

At the time I had been leaning heavily toward the ATHC100 (after reading your wonderful review and having been very happy - blissfully unaware perhaps - with my previous ATH700's). In fact my intention had been to go all out and purchase one more (just one more), high-end IEM to compliment the JVCs (in for a penny, in for a pound, etc.). However, I was worried that the CK100 would be too similar to the JVC, so was temporarily stumped (although you assured me that this would be unlikely since the CK100 are B/A and the JVC dynamic - information which I have since come to understand to some degree through reading and listening).

Then I started reading lots of posts on the soon-to-be-released Westone 4, and getting the idea that this first-ever quad-driver rig would surely be something quite different from (or complimentary to) the JVC. And now suddenly I find that you have reviewed both.

I have fallen in love with the JVC. From Mahler to Mingus, K-OS to Krall, DJ Shadow to Donovan; as you noted the magic with strings; piano, acoustic guitar almost crushingly gorgeous...I was a little surprised to read that you found the bass a bit "excessive for your liking" but this just points to the woefully insufficient breadth of my listening. For me, how well the phones convey and handle dynamically/tonally high-contrast symphonic music is the single most important thing. Even IEMs that do well with strings, for instance, can have real trouble with the big brass passages of say a Mahler or a Bruckner symphony in full stride.

So, to bring this already over-long ramble to a close (or at least a pause), if you only owned the JVC FX00, and had, say, up to to spend on one more IEM, which would it be (and I do mean for you personally, given your stated preferences)? I guess I'm assuming it would be an armature type, but perhaps not. Or would you simply kiss your JVCs, gently tuck them into their little box, and go out and spend the money on something really worthwhile like sex, drugs and women (in whatever order)?

All the best....

500
post #2620 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post

I am really looking forward to your review of Kozee Infinity X1. If they provide good sound and value i will most likely buy them smily_headphones1.gif


X1 review should be posted this weekend. Was aiming for earlier in the week but the GR07 held me up. The X1 has a very specific sound signature, something between a mid-range Etymotic and the FAD FI-BA-SS. For those who can handle that sort of sound, a full-shell custom at $189 all-in is great value for money. Stay tuned!


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLIDOPS View Post

I would like to double confirm the reviews on the Zune premium headphones. I have two pairs of these headphones. (I still use them...I'm a newbie) and while they do have surprisingly adequate isolation, the build quality isn't really that good. On one of them, the headphone jack cover came off, and the cloth just right on top of the audio jack is starting to fray. Also, for some reason, the inner plastic cord, burst out of the cloth and are now permanently stuck there, and they have formed loops. It's very odd.

 

On the case of isolation: I had a Mexican marachi brand playing right in front of me on an NYC subway, and a good amount of the sound was filtered out, and when I came into my friend's room, who was blasting music, I didn't notice until I took them off.  

Good to know

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

how does the gr07 compare to the ck90? the descriptions sound somewhat similar, neutral with punchy bass.


No, not very similar, except perhaps in that the CK90Pro has an atypical singature for a dual BA and the GR07 is not your typical dynamic. The CK90Pro is fairly dark and, despite being as impactful as the GR07, doesn't have nearly the same amount of bass body/fullness. The GR07 is more balanced than the CK90Pro to my ears and definitely more full-bodied. It also has better midrange texture than the CK90Pro and a tiny bit of treble roughness where the CK90Pro instead starts dipping down. As a result, the GR07 sounds energetic and exciting with female vocals while the CK90 sounds slightly dull/blunt. And of course the VSonics are more effortless when it comes to treble extension. Amazing how easily some dynamic drivers can cover the whole spectrum (thinking of IE7/IE8 and FX700 here as well). One thing the CK90Pro does exceedingly well is imaging - the GR07 really can't compete there.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by parshand View Post

Thanks. Will the m1 be ok to use with a sansa clip+ on the move (no amp).


As has been said, it will take a few notches of extra volume compared to most earphones but assuming you aren't already using the clip with maxed-out volume you should be okay. The other Brainwavz earphones are all more efficient than the M1.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by shinybeast View Post

Aloha Joker-san, from the land of the rising radiation count...

Been a while since I last looked-in on your prodigious, never-ending, ever-expanding magnum opus. Continue to be amazed. What caught my eye this time was your recent review of both JVC FX700 and Westone 4.

Late last year, looking to truly go to a new level, damn the body blows to the wallet, and after much cogitating, sweaty fretting, and incredibly gracious advice received from yourself, I pulled the proverbial trigger on a pair of JVC FX700's.

At the time I had been leaning heavily toward the ATHC100 (after reading your wonderful review and having been very happy - blissfully unaware perhaps - with my previous ATH700's). In fact my intention had been to go all out and purchase one more (just one more), high-end IEM to compliment the JVCs (in for a penny, in for a pound, etc.). However, I was worried that the CK100 would be too similar to the JVC, so was temporarily stumped (although you assured me that this would be unlikely since the CK100 are B/A and the JVC dynamic - information which I have since come to understand to some degree through reading and listening).

Then I started reading lots of posts on the soon-to-be-released Westone 4, and getting the idea that this first-ever quad-driver rig would surely be something quite different from (or complimentary to) the JVC. And now suddenly I find that you have reviewed both.

I have fallen in love with the JVC. From Mahler to Mingus, K-OS to Krall, DJ Shadow to Donovan; as you noted the magic with strings; piano, acoustic guitar almost crushingly gorgeous...I was a little surprised to read that you found the bass a bit "excessive for your liking" but this just points to the woefully insufficient breadth of my listening. For me, how well the phones convey and handle dynamically/tonally high-contrast symphonic music is the single most important thing. Even IEMs that do well with strings, for instance, can have real trouble with the big brass passages of say a Mahler or a Bruckner symphony in full stride.

So, to bring this already over-long ramble to a close (or at least a pause), if you only owned the JVC FX00, and had, say, up to to spend on one more IEM, which would it be (and I do mean for you personally, given your stated preferences)? I guess I'm assuming it would be an armature type, but perhaps not. Or would you simply kiss your JVCs, gently tuck them into their little box, and go out and spend the money on something really worthwhile like sex, drugs and women (in whatever order)?

All the best....
 


I remember your original question, which actually doesn't happen often as I get at least a dozen PMs every day. I think it's your writing style wink.gif. Having now heard/reviewed the FX700, I can say that nothing you buy will replace it if you've gotten used to the signature. If it were me, I'd get something on the analytical side to compliment them because middle-of-the-road BA-based monitors such as the SM3 and W4 still won't give you the dynamic range, timbre, or air of the JVCs. Basically, the things they do really, really well for BAs will be wasted on you due to the nature of the FX700. Half-jokingly, I can recommend the FI-BA-SS - nothing I've heard -and certainly not the JVCs - sounds quite like it. Then again, if you wanted to move into that price range you would probably give up the JVCs and go full custom. More seriously, the Ortofon e-Q5, which I hope to review next week, is worth a look. It's an interesting sound and different enough from the FX700 to at least warrant some reading. It should also be slightly less shocking of a change from the JVCs compared to, say, a CK10 or DBA-02. 

 

Oh and I think we all know at this point that I'd way rather spend my money on IEMs than drugs or women (this thread is too long for the gf to read through, right? ph34r.gif).

post #2621 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Oh and I think we all know at this point that I'd way rather spend my money on IEMs than drugs or women (this thread is too long for the gf to read through, right? ph34r.gif).


Compared to women, IEMs are generally less sibilant, harsh and tend to have a more balanced response.  They also could be considered to have a better bang/buck ratio and are much easier to move on the FS forum when you grow tired of them.  When you factor customer service into the equation it really becomes a no brainer. 

post #2622 of 16803

Very sound advice, I am looking into a compliment to the FX700s myself as they have rendered all the BAs I've had unpleasant for my taste. EQ5s are a good suggestion because you won't be pushed too much into that blunt BA sound but the GR07s and RE262s are also very good contrasting in-ears that don't give up much timbre and dynamic range and are easy on the wallet

 

LOL @ Anax. What about fit? wait don't answer that.... 


Edited by Inks - 4/15/11 at 8:51pm
post #2623 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Very sound advice, I am looking into a compliment to the FX700s myself as they have rendered all the BAs I've had unpleasant for my taste. EQ5s are a good suggestion because you won't be pushed too much into that blunt BA sound but the GR07s and RE262s are also very good contrasting in-ears that don't give up much timbre and dynamic range and are easy on the wallet


Well, here's the thing about BA's for me.  They have a unmatched ability to image clearly and realistically compared to dynamic IEM I've heard so far.  If you can provide superb timbre, low-end presence and coherence in a multi BA they can be quite superb.  My ES5 is the closest for me yet.  Most of you know I was a steadfast DD guy and probably considered more of a basshead by some.  Only the DBA and ES5 were able to make me switch hit.  I don't doubt that the FX700 is an inevitable purchase for me though.  This time the lack of isolation being an asset rather than a hinderance.    

 

post #2624 of 16803

Well I haven't heard customs which could do the trick,  but the BAs i've had just didn't do it for me. It's just different... the sound is more straightfoward and cold with BAs ime. The DBA02 vs the RE-Zero for example have a very comparable soundsignature but the way the music moves and how more natural the dd sounds  is something I prioritize. 


Edited by Inks - 4/15/11 at 9:19pm
post #2625 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Well I haven't heard customs which could do the trick,  but the BAs i've had just didn't do it for me. It's just different... the sound is more straightfoward and cold with BAs ime. The DBA02 vs the RE-Zero for example have a very comparable soundsignature but the way the music moves and how more natural the dd sounds  is something I prioritize. 


Well, I've got about 5-6 DD's still floating around and only 2 BA's left and those ones aren't cheap.  wink.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)