or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 161

post #2401 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

Should I just throw caution and budget to the wind and splurge for the CK10? I'm a little bit afraid the DBA-02 will be a little too analytical and dry to be really enjoyable. The CK10 seems to have the right amount of balance of everything... what would be a full-size equivalent?


IMO, its the CK10 that's drier and more analytical than the DBA.  I think the DBA is more natural and fluid sounding while the CK10 then the ER4S are the analytical ones.  Though they are still musical while other analytical phones aren't.  I think you should look at Fisher 003, Sennheiser HD598 and Beyer 880s for headphones. 

 

post #2402 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post




IMO, its the CK10 that's drier and more analytical than the DBA.  I think the DBA is more natural and fluid sounding while the CK10 then the ER4S are the analytical ones.  Though they are still musical while other analytical phones aren't.  I think you should look at Fisher 003, Sennheiser HD598 and Beyer 880s for headphones. 

 

 

+1 on the FA-003, which basically sounds a like a full sized dynamic version of the DBA
 

 

post #2403 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanish View Post



 

+1 on the FA-003, which basically sounds a like a full sized dynamic version of the DBA
 

 

Interesting....
 

 

post #2404 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

I also noticed that the Senn "bi-flanges", while uncomfortable, did wonders for body microphonics. The isolation is mediocre/average, but normally with IEMs I hear every part of my moving body, especially my mouth and breathing. With the biflanges I didn't really notice any of that, they were awesome in that regard.

 

So, so far I'm not quite sold on them yet. If I could make a Frankenphone, it would be with the treble somewhere between the IE8 and the RE-Zero, the midrange of the RE262, and the bass... somewhere between the RE262 and the IE8. Should I just throw caution and budget to the wind and splurge for the CK10? I'm a little bit afraid the DBA-02 will be a little too analytical and dry to be really enjoyable. The CK10 seems to have the right amount of balance of everything... what would be a full-size equivalent?



The CK10 definitely does not fall between the IE8 and RE-ZERO on the treble spectrum. Neither does the DBA-02 for matter. It also does not fall between the RE262 ad IE8 in terms of bass quantity since both of those have convex bass curves. The Westone 4 is closer to what you seem to be after although it is painfully pricy.

post #2405 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Added two more <$10 earphones - Maike MK-EL5031 and Sentry HO642

post #2406 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac View Post

I also noticed that the Senn "bi-flanges", while uncomfortable, did wonders for body microphonics. The isolation is mediocre/average, but normally with IEMs I hear every part of my moving body, especially my mouth and breathing. With the biflanges I didn't really notice any of that, they were awesome in that regard.

 

So, so far I'm not quite sold on them yet. If I could make a Frankenphone, it would be with the treble somewhere between the IE8 and the RE-Zero, the midrange of the RE262, and the bass... somewhere between the RE262 and the IE8. Should I just throw caution and budget to the wind and splurge for the CK10? I'm a little bit afraid the DBA-02 will be a little too analytical and dry to be really enjoyable. The CK10 seems to have the right amount of balance of everything... what would be a full-size equivalent?



The CK10 definitely does not fall between the IE8 and RE-ZERO on the treble spectrum. Neither does the DBA-02 for matter. It also does not fall between the RE262 ad IE8 in terms of bass quantity since both of those have convex bass curves. The Westone 4 is closer to what you seem to be after although it is painfully pricy.


I know - these are ideals, and I don't think there's anything that comes close in a universal that can meet all my requirements at a budget I won't kill myself over. The TF10 seems like it would actually be pretty close (barring lush mids) but I'm 90% sure I'm going to hate the fit. Maybe once I settle down on a full-size headphone I can live with, I can move onto IEM heavy hitters like customs.

 

post #2407 of 16802
|joker|, in your review you note that the MEElectonics A151 midrange has a slight warmth to it, how does it compare to the CW31? I love the warm mids--and to a lesser degree bass--of the CW31, but want treble a little more like Triple.Fi 10. Would the A151 be a good choice or would the treble still be a little to laid back for my taste? Anything else under $100 worth considering? Thanks.
post #2408 of 16802

joker, so I've had the Xears TDIII for some time now, with an iPod touch as my source. I spent some time this past weekend EQing them in iTunes and with the custom presets on my touch.

 

I dunno if you use a touch, but I definitely think the "Bass reducer" preset EQ makes the TDIII sound the best. There's an entire layer of bass (sub-bass, mid-bass?) that is eliminated. And although the mids/highs are roughly the same vs no EQ, the overall sound appears to be more crisp and clear because that layer of bass is eliminated.

 

The same bass is eliminated with a "treble booster" setting, but the mids aren't as forward.

 

I've been thinking about getting the DBA-02s as my next upgrade, and I'm wondering if my bass-reduced description of the TDIII matches the sig of the DBAs. If not, do you have any suggestions? Thanks

post #2409 of 16802
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnhardwick View Post

|joker|, in your review you note that the MEElectonics A151 midrange has a slight warmth to it, how does it compare to the CW31? I love the warm mids--and to a lesser degree bass--of the CW31, but want treble a little more like Triple.Fi 10. Would the A151 be a good choice or would the treble still be a little to laid back for my taste? Anything else under $100 worth considering? Thanks.


I don't think the A151 is what you want. The CC51 is closer as it has more prominent treble than the A151 but still not as much sparkle and energy as the TF10. For that you would be looking at something like the ECCI PR401 or at least Fischer Silver Bullet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WalmartSecurity View Post

joker, so I've had the Xears TDIII for some time now, with an iPod touch as my source. I spent some time this past weekend EQing them in iTunes and with the custom presets on my touch.

 

I dunno if you use a touch, but I definitely think the "Bass reducer" preset EQ makes the TDIII sound the best. There's an entire layer of bass (sub-bass, mid-bass?) that is eliminated. And although the mids/highs are roughly the same vs no EQ, the overall sound appears to be more crisp and clear because that layer of bass is eliminated.

 

The same bass is eliminated with a "treble booster" setting, but the mids aren't as forward.

 

I've been thinking about getting the DBA-02s as my next upgrade, and I'm wondering if my bass-reduced description of the TDIII matches the sig of the DBAs. If not, do you have any suggestions? Thanks


I don't use iPods so I am not sure of the quantitative effect these presets have. Therefore, i can't say if you're dropping the bass of the TD-III enough to match the DBA-02. I don't think you'll find anything more crisp/clear than the DBA-02 but the bass of the Fischers pretty much portrays exactly what is on the track so if the TD-III still sounds 'enhanced' to you at the low end, the DBA-02 will probably have less bass.

 

post #2410 of 16802

Hey man this is very awesome, great job on this.  If at all possible would you be willing to add a column in your chart of "openback" with yeses or nos going down the line?  I'm looking for a great pair of high quality buds that are able to "breathe".  I prefer an open sound as a closed sound drives me crazy especially any hint of breathing noise.  I imagine a lot of others would be interested as well.

 

Thanks for this in depth review.  If you were to sum up a top a few for electronica & dance club music which would they be?  Something with great bass, speed, good vocals, energy, and are on the bright cheery side.  Maybe something along the likes of a DT990/AD700 sound combined, if possible lol, or you get the idea :D.  Ones that can breathe out the back and are under $150.  Ohms don't matter as I'll probably amp them.  That would be very awesome if you could, if not that's cool too.

 

Thanks man!

 


Edited by WaveRider69 - 3/25/11 at 7:36pm
post #2411 of 16802
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 View Post

Hey man this is very awesome, great job on this.  If at all possible would you be willing to add a column in your chart of "openback" with yeses or nos going down the line?  I'm looking for a great pair of high quality buds that are able to "breathe".  I prefer an open sound as a closed sound drives me crazy especially any hint of breathing noise.  I imagine a lot of others would be interested as well.

 

Thanks for this in depth review.  If you were to sum up a top a few for electronica & dance club music which would they be?  Something with great bass, speed, good vocals, energy, and are on the bright cheery side.  Maybe something along the likes of a DT990/AD700 sound combined, if possible lol, or you get the idea :D.  Ones that can breathe out the back and are under $150.  Ohms don't matter as I'll probably amp them.  That would be very awesome if you could, if not that's cool too.

 

By open back to you mean actually open IEMs (there's very few) or just vented ones? Vents really don't mean much in terms of sound signature or presentation but there will be a correlation (negative) between the presence of vents and isolation. Very few IEMs will actually give you an 'open' sound.

 

I have not heard the DT990 and generally don't like comparing IEMs to full-size cans. What you are looking for sounds like the JVC HA-FX700 although it is way out of your price range. If you're willing to take a small step back in terms of requirements, I'd take a look at the ECCI P401 or used Panasonic HJE900.

post #2412 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRider69 View Post

 I'm looking for a great pair of high quality buds that are able to "breathe".  I prefer an open sound as a closed sound drives me crazy especially any hint of breathing noise.


I believe you may be talking about the occlusion effect with closed IEMs and the vented ones are definitely better in that regard. IME vents do make a difference in presentation, at least with dynamic drivers - especially soundstaging is more believable to my ears than the rather boxed-in feeling with most closed ones I've heard. Among armatures the vented Final Audios have better bass texture than all others I've heard, but that might be coincidence and possibly not due to their vents.


Btw, if you don't need isolation, you might also consider high quality buds like the Audio Technica EC700. Due to some medical issue that prevented me from wearing IEMs, I've been using these during the last weeks and I must say they give the IEMs I know in that price range a run for their money.

post #2413 of 16802
Thanks |joker|.
post #2414 of 16802

I don't know what you are listening to, but I got the Sentry HO642 on sale directly from Amazon a few months ago for ~$2.

 

I listened to them for 30 seconds and threw them directly into the garbage. Maybe my pair is defective, but based on the pair I received, I give them a -1/5 on Sound.

post #2415 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vloeibaarglas View Post

I don't know what you are listening to, but I got the Sentry HO642 on sale directly from Amazon a few months ago for ~$2.

 

I listened to them for 30 seconds and threw them directly into the garbage. Maybe my pair is defective, but based on the pair I received, I give them a -1/5 on Sound.



What did you expect for $2?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)