or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 152

post #2266 of 16803

I fear that your new stable of customs is going to cut back on your motivation to continue with evaluating universals!

post #2267 of 16803

^ yeah i just joined here lol

 

and they only have 2 in ear models and yes they are pretty expensive but i tried my friends IE2's and they did impress me. surely just because one model was bad doesnt mean that all of them are bad?

 

and bose are pretty expensive ill agree with you there, but there over ear headphones and speakers are great IMO

post #2268 of 16803

^
Comfortable they are, yes, that I concede, but there are better, much better in fact, performers for the cost.

 

'Great' is relative in this sense because for one, we don't know what you're comparing them against. Compared to tinny, low quality included earbuds and/or maybe gaming headphones, they may sound good yes, but against headphones and earphones based on this hobby, there are a lot better for the cost.

 

Basically, Bose are expensive, but you're not paying them for the sound as much as you are paying for the brand name and comfort/function on say, an airplane (they do really dissapear, are forgettable for the most part), bt for the cost of their earphones, you can pay for say, 2 Soundmagic PL50s, a 'cheap and cheerful' Chinese branded earphone that has greater technical sonic peformance VS the Bose IEs.

 

Granted, the IEs have a very consumer oriented sound signature (bottome and and midrange oriented, that's not very refined I might add), which is why people who never really heard anything better would easily be impressed.

post #2269 of 16803

so the FI-BA-SS makes the CK10 sound veiled.  jesus, i need to hear them.  haha.  i'm also surprised you made it through the FX700 without mentioning the CK10s.  i prefer BAs, so i doubt i'll ever hear them, but they sound like they sound (heh) amazing.  but their price tag is kind of large.

 

take away message, only customs sound better than CK10s.  gotcha  etysmile.gif  i'm a fanboy if you can't tell. tongue_smile.gif

post #2270 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

^
Comfortable they are, yes, that I concede, but there are better, much better in fact, performers for the cost.

 

'Great' is relative in this sense because for one, we don't know what you're comparing them against. Compared to tinny, low quality included earbuds and/or maybe gaming headphones, they may sound good yes, but against headphones and earphones based on this hobby, there are a lot better for the cost.

 

Basically, Bose are expensive, but you're not paying them for the sound as much as you are paying for the brand name and comfort/function on say, an airplane (they do really dissapear, are forgettable for the most part), bt for the cost of their earphones, you can pay for say, 2 Soundmagic PL50s, a 'cheap and cheerful' Chinese branded earphone that has greater technical sonic peformance VS the Bose IEs.

 

Granted, the IEs have a very consumer oriented sound signature (bottome and and midrange oriented, that's not very refined I might add), which is why people who never really heard anything better would easily be impressed.


hmm i guess you have a point there, im not saying they are great myself but i want to see what an expert wil say about it. i want to compare it with other headphones and right now i can't which is exactly my problem.

 

for example i was thinking of getting monster turbines for around the same price, but i dont know what is better, so it would be nice if there is a review on them here :D

 

you are of course right though, i mean they are very expensive and you can probably get cheaper and better, but i do want to be able to cmpare them to other IEM's

post #2271 of 16803

Hmm, lets say in terms of performance and sound, I much prefer my M1s to the IE2s.

I have yet to try the IE1 though, but I don't think I'm gonna bother.

post #2272 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

Hmm, lets say in terms of performance and sound, I much prefer my M1s to the IE2s.

I have yet to try the IE1 though, but I don't think I'm gonna bother.



ive heard that the IE1's are very bad too.

 

also is it possible that you can review the standard apple headphones? i know it sounds stupid but if you want to buy a pair it costs £30 which i think is absolutely ridiculous but i would love to compare them to some other IEM's

post #2273 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

Hmm, lets say in terms of performance and sound, I much prefer my M1s to the IE2s.

I have yet to try the IE1 though, but I don't think I'm gonna bother.



ive heard that the IE1's are very bad too.

 

also is it possible that you can review the standard apple headphones? i know it sounds stupid but if you want to buy a pair it costs £30 which i think is absolutely ridiculous but i would love to compare them to some other IEM's

post #2274 of 16803

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazzyp View Post


hmm i guess you have a point there, im not saying they are great myself but i want to see what an expert wil say about it. i want to compare it with other headphones and right now i can't which is exactly my problem.

 

for example i was thinking of getting monster turbines for around the same price, but i dont know what is better, so it would be nice if there is a review on them here :D

 

you are of course right though, i mean they are very expensive and you can probably get cheaper and better, but i do want to be able to cmpare them to other IEM's


He has a point. Rating common earphones like the iBuds and Bose IE together in this thread will give a better idea to newbies who visit this forum in search of better earphones. Right now we don't know if a Bose IE falls into 2/10 or 5/10 SQ scale for example compared to other similarly priced earphones.

post #2275 of 16803

If memory serves me right, the included apple earbuds aren't so bad for included buds (some of the later Cowon earbuds OEMed from Cresyn are better though)

If you push the Apple earbuds towards your ears, they should produce a relatively coherent sound through the entire spectrum, just that they don't have a good resolution and coherency.

If they're given to me for free for example, I won't complain, but I definitely can't justify buying them when I got a pair of Meelec M6 for US$19.65

post #2276 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuahogary View Post

 


He has a point. Rating common earphones like the iBuds and Bose IE together in this thread will give a better idea to newbies who visit this forum in search of better earphones. Right now we don't know if a Bose IE falls into 2/10 or 5/10 SQ scale for example compared to other similarly priced earphones.



exactly, newbies like me :P i mean it would really help me out. i currently use the stock apple headphones (or Ibuds as this person has just mentioned) and i would love to see just how much better all the other headphones out there are :D

post #2277 of 16803


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

If memory serves me right, the included apple earbuds aren't so bad for included buds (some of the later Cowon earbuds OEMed from Cresyn are better though)

If you push the Apple earbuds towards your ears, they should produce a relatively coherent sound through the entire spectrum, just that they don't have a good resolution and coherency.

If they're given to me for free for example, I won't complain, but I definitely can't justify buying them when I got a pair of Meelec M6 for US$19.65


great, im currently using the iBuds and i would love to know how they match up against other much better (:P) headphones.

post #2278 of 16803

Joker hasn't reviewed the iBuds here because this thread is for IEMs only, not earbuds - and he includes the Yuin OK1 only because it has some IEM functionality. He does include the Apple IEMs, if you look closely.

post #2279 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

You friend says the Bose IE2 are good, perhaps, but without a basis for comparison, it makes it hard to justify.

 

Also, congrats on 150 reviews Joker, job well done =)

Loving the new rating system as well, makes sorting through individual phones a lot more easily. Looking for a comfy earphone to sleep with right now and considering the more comfy shallow insertion ones.


This is true - most midrange IEMs will sound great next to stock earbuds and dimestore replacements. It is only by pitting them against each other that we can find the real price/performance winners.



Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post

so the FI-BA-SS makes the CK10 sound veiled.  jesus, i need to hear them.  haha.  i'm also surprised you made it through the FX700 without mentioning the CK10s.  i prefer BAs, so i doubt i'll ever hear them, but they sound like they sound (heh) amazing.  but their price tag is kind of large.

 

take away message, only customs sound better than CK10s.  gotcha  etysmile.gif  i'm a fanboy if you can't tell. tongue_smile.gif

 

No point in comparing the CK10 to the FX700 - they have nothing in common. And yes, the only way to really do better than a top-tier universal is to go custom, but even that probably doesn't hold true all the time. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazzyp View Post


hmm i guess you have a point there, im not saying they are great myself but i want to see what an expert wil say about it. i want to compare it with other headphones and right now i can't which is exactly my problem.

 

for example i was thinking of getting monster turbines for around the same price, but i dont know what is better, so it would be nice if there is a review on them here :D

 

you are of course right though, i mean they are very expensive and you can probably get cheaper and better, but i do want to be able to cmpare them to other IEM's


The Turbines are a very safe choice, especially at the ridiculously low prices that have been popping up here and there. I think you would be best off getting them and drawing your own conclusions against your friend's IE2s.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tuahogary View Post


He has a point. Rating common earphones like the iBuds and Bose IE together in this thread will give a better idea to newbies who visit this forum in search of better earphones. Right now we don't know if a Bose IE falls into 2/10 or 5/10 SQ scale for example compared to other similarly priced earphones.


iPod buds don't belong in an IEM thread and the Bose IEs aren't that popular even outside of Head-Fi. I did add all of the Skullcandy models, Sennheiser CX300, JVC Marshmallows, Beats Tours, and others for this specific purpose.
 

post #2280 of 16803


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post


I can somewhat relate to that, since I've stated several times that the FI-BA-SS are a niche phone for those who want utmost clarity and transparency at all cost. Though I wouldn't go so far to hold that fact against the FADs in a rating, I also concluded in my review that "the prize for the most forgiving high-resolution IEMs goes undoubtedly to the SM3".

 

 

I totally agree with this assessment of the FI-BA-SS by ljokerl and james444. They have a very particular strength, which is their amazing clarity and transparency. What's funny is I have been doing A/B with the FI-BA-SS and the W4s for the past week or so and, by comparison, am disappointed with the W4. The W4 is smooth, an excellent and detailed all-rounded. By comparison the FI-BA-SS are quite a bit more "raw" and can be brutal with bad recordings but the risk/reward is just a lot higher IMHO :)

 

The "value" of the FI-BA-SS really relates to what your preferences are. I think ljokerl makes an interesting point about how perfect audio fidelity might not always be the most sonically pleasing, as ironically it is the lack of colorization that makes the FI-BA-SS sound "colored" and somewhat aggressive. I think the one aspect that wasn't fully addressed is that the "BAM" Balancing Air Movement gives them a real feeling of (modest) dynamic-like slam, something I've never heard in any other BA before.

 

For me it really depends on moods. W4 and SE425 are laid back and chilltastic. I like my IE8s and MDs when I am listening to bass-heavy genres. For me my FI-BA-SS are in their own category, a strange hybrid of dynamic and BA traits, though I generally pick them up when I am in for a "fun" listen.

 

 

 

And I would really like to hear for myself where the SM3 fit in all of this, since there seems to be a lot of debate!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)