or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 151

post #2251 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Added the JVC HA-FX700, FAD FI-BA-SS, and 1964EARS 1964-T. 

 

The sesquicentennial addition brings with it a lot of records - first custom, most expensive earphone, highest-scoring dynamic-driver IEM, highest-scording single armature, and so on - not to mention the record for most ridiculously long review thread tongue.gif.

 

And yes, all of the ratings have been rescaled and re-adjusted to accommodate the customs. This thread is now on a more precise scale for both sound quality and the tabulated average.


Congrats on reaching 150 and very nice work on both the FX700 and FI-BA-SS, though we obviously don't agree in sound rating vs. the SM3. Btw. the FAD's sensitivity/hiss is one of the reasons why the Samsung R0 managed to become my favorite DAP lately, because it's more silent than both my Cowon i9 and Fuze.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I was wondering when the BA-SS was going to come out. I'm surprised the value is that high..also with the sound score you consider the SM3 better?


I can somewhat relate to that, since I've stated several times that the FI-BA-SS are a niche phone for those who want utmost clarity and transparency at all cost. Though I wouldn't go so far to hold that fact against the FADs in a rating, I also concluded in my review that "the prize for the most forgiving high-resolution IEMs goes undoubtedly to the SM3".

post #2252 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Only read the FX700 review so far and I gotta agree with all that's been said. It's a in-home use iem like full-size cans but I wish it was more subbass focused rather than midbass like you mention in the review. Oh and yes the FX700s bass is faster than the MDs, check it myself with a sine-sweep. Did your experience with these somehow accustomed you to look closer to the timbre of iems? Happened to me..


Thanks. And yes, timbre issues are more noticeable next to the FX700 but then I knew which earphones are slightly off beforehand thanks to knowing how most of my tracks sound with the K601.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I was wondering when the BA-SS was going to come out. I'm surprised the value is that high..also with the sound score you consider the SM3 better?


For obvious reasons assigning a value score to something twice as expensive as anything else in the thread is difficult but the BA-SS does offer something unique. It probably won't even be considered by those without the means or a personal interest in its sound signature so giving it a low value score would be fairly meaningless.

 

However, here's some trivia. Early in the life of this thread the value score was calculated using a formula that compared the average score and street price in an overcomplicated way. That formula turned out to be highly biased against earphones costing over $300 so I dropped it when the CK100 was added and moved to a more subjective value score. However, just for the heck of it, I plugged the numbers of the FI-BA-SS in and got -0.02/10 as the value.



Quote:
Originally Posted by mywallethurts View Post

hi joker. is it advisable to get the quad driver 1964ears or is the 3 driver setup good enough?


I don't think that question has a universal answer. I went for the T as I felt that the bass delivered by two low drivers in a dual X-over config would be sufficient for my tastes. Personally, I would not want the 1964-Q in place of my T but I am sure many will gladly take the extra bass it affords.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame21x View Post

Wow, 150 IEMs compared and reviewed. Such an amazing milestone to hit. Congrats and thanks for all of your hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treal512 View Post

Page 150 with 150 IEMs reviewed. Congrats, Joker. What a feat and great resource!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanish View Post

Excellent! This thread should be in the internet hall of fame lol. Have been eagerly looking forward to your review of the JVC FX700 and it did not disappoint!


Thanks, everyone beerchug.gif



Quote:
Originally Posted by monoglycer View Post

Nice reviews again joker!

 

I am now curious to see how much custom you get with a single BA from kozee.


Lol... so far it has been exactly none. Hopefully they'll pull through though.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post


Congrats on reaching 150 and very nice work on both the FX700 and FI-BA-SS, though we obviously don't agree in sound rating vs. the SM3. Btw. the FAD's sensitivity/hiss is one of the reasons why the Samsung R0 managed to become my favorite DAP lately, because it's more silent than both my Cowon i9 and Fuze.


Thanks, I know there are a few things that bug you about the SM3 just as there are a few things that bug me about the BA-SS. The important thing is that there's a huge body of information out there for people to draw their own conclusions and make informed decisions. Oh and I don't think the BA-SS hisses notably with my J3 at normal listening volumes - if the R0 has an even lower noise floor, that's pretty impressive.

post #2253 of 16803

With 1964-T and the upcoming UM Miracle, I have feeling that joker won't have as much time to enjoy the many universal IEMs pretty soon.  I bet he wishes he had more than 2 ears.

 

A question regarding mid-range bass monsters:

Which of these has the most bass quantity and extension?  I am looking for something that sounds like Sony XB700.

TDK EB900

Sony MDR-XB40EX

Meelec M31

Yamaha EPH-50

HIppo VB

Xears TD100 or TD-III

 

Thanks

post #2254 of 16803

joker, I notice you have the HD25-1. Would you say its isolation is only about as good as canal phones? From my experience, IEMs that have deeper inserts isolate far better than the HD25-1 but that's probably expected. I would have liked to have kept the HD 25 if it blocked out the low frequencies better because sound wise it's great. Which IEM would you say most resembles the HD25-1 in sound?

post #2255 of 16803

Didn't notice the review for the 1964-T is up!

 

Was going to wait for a comparison between the 1964-T and UM Miracle, but I got impatient and bought a 1964-Q (should have it in a week or so..) 

 

Can't wait for when you review the Miracle. If I ever get another custom, UM is probably where I will be getting them.

post #2256 of 16803


Shouldn't it be easier for yourself to use a less detailed scale.

I think it is virtually impossible to justify the difference of 0.1, I would use something like 8+, 8.5-,8.5,8.5+. This allows you to give an IEM a score that has the same value of let's say 8.6 or 8.7 but makes your job easier.

Scaling old scores is ok, but there you used a different scale for a long time. Reviewing new IEM's and giving them a correct score is going to be very hard, I can imagine.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

And yes, all of the ratings have been rescaled and re-adjusted to accommodate the customs. This thread is now on a more precise scale for both sound quality and the tabulated average.

post #2257 of 16803

I for one, like the new scale much, much better. Finally, RE-ZERO goes over RE0. What a relief! It's minor differences like this which were tough to make out using the old scale. Thanks for taking time to do it.

 

Finally, FX700 and.. FI-BA-SS and 1964-T. I knew something special was going to happen close to #150. But, this was better than I expected :)

post #2258 of 16803

will it be the sony ex1000 review?If the great

post #2259 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Thanks, I know there are a few things that bug you about the SM3 just as there are a few things that bug me about the BA-SS. The important thing is that there's a huge body of information out there for people to draw their own conclusions and make informed decisions.


X2, and it's all the more important if you're contemplating a purchase like the BA-SS.

 

(Btw your SM3 sound ratings are different between review and chart.)

post #2260 of 16803

Hi ljokerl :)

 

It's a pity that profanity is forbidden in the forum, because your latest additions made me produce a lot of profanities. WOW! I was quite curious about the FX700, because for the price I sincerely expected them to be almost perfect, so your review was very useful. To be precise, I was curious about isolation, as I had heard some comments about the lack of it. Thanks for confirming :)

 

The 1964 review is just fantastic. Just like listening to them ;) Thanks a lot, really, for such a detailed review.

 

The FAD FI-BA-SS... well, I didn't even know they existed. They're more expensive than my car duggehsmile.png And from your review, I think I would prefer the 1964, but that's a matter of taste and money ;)

 

As always, THANKS. I know the work you put in these reviews, really. You're great :)

post #2261 of 16803

Been following this thread for a while, great job ljoker!

 

Just a thought on a possible addition to the review cue and chart.

My daughter, a 19 year old college kid but with very discerning taste in music, just replaced her RE0's with a pair of Klipsch image X5. I bought these for her during one of those Amazon quick sales when the price had dropped to about $130 (normal price is $170 or so).

 

Anyway she reports back that she is very impressed, her comments:

Sound, there's a lot of layers; Bass and tremble very good. Overall much better to her ears than the RE0's.

Anyway, she's up in college so I can't compare them myself.

 

If you can borrow a set it would be interesting to read your thoughts on this pair. Unfortunately I don't think I can get her set to lend them out!

 

thanks again for the excellent job!

post #2262 of 16803

How come you dont do any on Bose headphones?

post #2263 of 16803
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmai View Post

With 1964-T and the upcoming UM Miracle, I have feeling that joker won't have as much time to enjoy the many universal IEMs pretty soon.  I bet he wishes he had more than 2 ears.

 

A question regarding mid-range bass monsters:

Which of these has the most bass quantity and extension?  I am looking for something that sounds like Sony XB700.

TDK EB900

Sony MDR-XB40EX

Meelec M31

Yamaha EPH-50

HIppo VB

Xears TD100 or TD-III

 

Thanks


Extension - the Hippo VB - but it really doesn't have a whole lot of mid-bass. If quality is less important than quantity, I'd say the XB40EX sounds closest to the XB700 in terms of balance.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by kite7 View Post

joker, I notice you have the HD25-1. Would you say its isolation is only about as good as canal phones? From my experience, IEMs that have deeper inserts isolate far better than the HD25-1 but that's probably expected. I would have liked to have kept the HD 25 if it blocked out the low frequencies better because sound wise it's great. Which IEM would you say most resembles the HD25-1 in sound?


Yes - the HD25 isolates about as much as certain shallow-insertion canalphones (maybe a 2.5/5 or 3/5 on the IEM scale), which is impressive for a headphone but does make proper IEMs all the more desirable. The problem with low frequency noise is bone conduction - no matter how well you plug up your ears, you will get some low frequency leakage that way. The best isolation I've experienced (by a fair margin) is my Etymotic HF3 with ACS custom silicone tips and even with those I get low frequency leakage when playing test tones through my speakers.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by mikop View Post

Didn't notice the review for the 1964-T is up!

 

Was going to wait for a comparison between the 1964-T and UM Miracle, but I got impatient and bought a 1964-Q (should have it in a week or so..) 

 

Can't wait for when you review the Miracle. If I ever get another custom, UM is probably where I will be getting them.


The miracle is being built now and I'm hoping to have it by mid- to late March. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by s0lar View Post


Shouldn't it be easier for yourself to use a less detailed scale.

I think it is virtually impossible to justify the difference of 0.1, I would use something like 8+, 8.5-,8.5,8.5+. This allows you to give an IEM a score that has the same value of let's say 8.6 or 8.7 but makes your job easier.

Scaling old scores is ok, but there you used a different scale for a long time. Reviewing new IEM's and giving them a correct score is going to be very hard, I can imagine.
 


Your thought process follows mine as of about 6 months ago - back then I switched from the (0.5) difference system to the (0.25) difference system in lieu of using pluses and minuses (same general idea, though). The problem with pluses and minuses is that excel doesn't take them into account when sorting my table, which leads to all sort of problems. Back then I considered switching to the (0.1) scale but decided that it would require too much accuracy on my part. However, with 150 earphones, I simply wanted more freedom in terms of showing minute differences as some things had to be purposely exaggerated under the old system to show that there was a difference no matter how small and some had to be left out. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post

I for one, like the new scale much, much better. Finally, RE-ZERO goes over RE0. What a relief! It's minor differences like this which were tough to make out using the old scale. Thanks for taking time to do it.

 

Finally, FX700 and.. FI-BA-SS and 1964-T. I knew something special was going to happen close to #150. But, this was better than I expected :)


Thanks, you are absolutely right. I think in the long run this system will work better (though I do anticipate re-scaling everything again when the Miracle gets here.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by leylandi View Post

will it be the sony ex1000 review?If the great


No plans for one at the moment.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post


X2, and it's all the more important if you're contemplating a purchase like the BA-SS.

 

(Btw your SM3 sound ratings are different between review and chart.)


Thanks, fixed that. Guess I missed one (or maybe more.. who knows).

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by DervishD View Post

Hi ljokerl :)

 

It's a pity that profanity is forbidden in the forum, because your latest additions made me produce a lot of profanities. WOW! I was quite curious about the FX700, because for the price I sincerely expected them to be almost perfect, so your review was very useful. To be precise, I was curious about isolation, as I had heard some comments about the lack of it. Thanks for confirming :)

 

The 1964 review is just fantastic. Just like listening to them ;) Thanks a lot, really, for such a detailed review.

 

The FAD FI-BA-SS... well, I didn't even know they existed. They're more expensive than my car duggehsmile.png And from your review, I think I would prefer the 1964, but that's a matter of taste and money ;)

 

As always, THANKS. I know the work you put in these reviews, really. You're great :)


Thanks, always happy to hear that I've helped someone come closer to understanding what an earphone sounds like without actually listening to it, especially when we're talking about $400+ sets tongue.gif.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsan View Post

Been following this thread for a while, great job ljoker!

 

Just a thought on a possible addition to the review cue and chart.

My daughter, a 19 year old college kid but with very discerning taste in music, just replaced her RE0's with a pair of Klipsch image X5. I bought these for her during one of those Amazon quick sales when the price had dropped to about $130 (normal price is $170 or so).

 

Anyway she reports back that she is very impressed, her comments:

Sound, there's a lot of layers; Bass and tremble very good. Overall much better to her ears than the RE0's.

Anyway, she's up in college so I can't compare them myself.

 

If you can borrow a set it would be interesting to read your thoughts on this pair. Unfortunately I don't think I can get her set to lend them out!

 

thanks again for the excellent job!


Thanks. I've definitely considered the higher-end Image earphones but I can't help thinking that Klipsch will update them soon. Actually, I've been thinking that ever since the $99 X10 sale over at ultimateelectronics. Either way, if someone lets me borrow a set I'll be happy to review it but I've got no plans to buy one at the moment,

 


 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazzyp View Post

How come you dont do any on Bose headphones?


I would rather not leave any of my money with Bose and I don't think anyone around here has kept a Bose In-Ear after listening to it to let me borrow one for review. The old ones were just terrible; the new ones - I don't know.

post #2264 of 16803

I would rather not leave any of my money with Bose and I don't think anyone around here has kept a Bose In-Ear after listening to it to let me borrow one for review. The old ones were just terrible; the new ones - I don't know.

 

well a friend of mine had just bought the Bose IE2's which he claims are very good, so is it possible you can do a review on them? they aren't too expensive either. i think they only cost him around £90 (which is around $145)

 

it would really help if you can :D i want to compare them with the monster turbines which i may possible be getting.

 

Thanks
 

post #2265 of 16803

^

Recently joined HeadFi I guess.

Bose aren't usually well recieved here, they're often overmarketed, and their cost don't justify the sound they give.

You friend says the Bose IE2 are good, perhaps, but without a basis for comparison, it makes it hard to justify.

 

Also, congrats on 150 reviews Joker, job well done =)

Loving the new rating system as well, makes sorting through individual phones a lot more easily. Looking for a comfy earphone to sleep with right now and considering the more comfy shallow insertion ones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)