or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 141

post #2101 of 16803

Haha, well thanks for the quick and informative answer ljoker.

post #2102 of 16803

Hi I'm in doubt about which earbuds I should buy.

 

I've got these right now:

- Meelec M11 (the 'old' version), sound is too bass-heavy but comfort with Bi-Flanges is lovely.

- Branwavz Alpha (the cheapest version) Picked them up for $4. Sound is okay but comfort is worse. They just don't fit as well as the M11's.

 

 

Got these on my shortlist now:

Brainwavz ProAlpha (could get these for $25)

Do want these because of the fantastic sound quality. Don't want these because I've got the cheap Brainwavz alpha and they are not as comfortable as my M11's. Anybody got a clue if there's a difference in comfort between the Alpha's and the ProAlpha's? 

Meelec M11+ (now $45)

Comfort will be perfect but sound won't be as good as at the ProAlphas. Also they are $20 more expensive.

Nuforce NE-6 ($55 at local store)

A friend of mine has got these but they are mainstream and not very special. I'd rather have something with more bang/buck. Also the comfort is less than of the M11's/
 

I am a fan of some 'warm' sound but I do miss some detail with my old M11's. And they are too bass-heavy.

I am willing to spend some more (the 60-100 dollar price range), if it will make a great improvement.

The ProAlphas are a steal though. So I'm doubting.

 

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)

post #2103 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

Hi I'm in doubt about which earbuds I should buy.

 

I've got these right now:

- Meelec M11 (the 'old' version), sound is too bass-heavy but comfort with Bi-Flanges is lovely.

- Branwavz Alpha (the cheapest version) Picked them up for $4. Sound is okay but comfort is worse. They just don't fit as well as the M11's.

 

Got these on my shortlist now:

Brainwavz ProAlpha (could get these for $25)

Do want these because of the fantastic sound quality. Don't want these because I've got the cheap Brainwavz alpha and they are not as comfortable as my M11's. Anybody got a clue if there's a difference in comfort between the Alpha's and the ProAlpha's? 

Meelec M11+ (now $45)

Comfort will be perfect but sound won't be as good as at the ProAlphas. Also they are $20 more expensive.

Nuforce NE-6 ($55 at local store)

A friend of mine has got these but they are mainstream and not very special. I'd rather have something with more bang/buck. Also the comfort is less than of the M11's/
 

I am a fan of some 'warm' sound but I do miss some detail with my old M11's. And they are too bass-heavy.

I am willing to spend some more (the 60-100 dollar price range), if it will make a great improvement.

The ProAlphas are a steal though. So I'm doubting.

 

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)

Have you looked at joker's extensive set of reviews (the front end of this thread)? Save some reading time by looking at the table in Post #8.

 

Hint: "earbuds" is the term for earphones that sit outside the ear canal. Your MEElec M11, Brainwavz and others you've mentioned are called IEMs ("in-ear monitors") around head-fi. The ProAlphas seem pretty nice, and an awesome deal at $25. You can do better than M11+ and NE-6 for the money you're willing to spend.


 

post #2104 of 16803
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

Hi I'm in doubt about which earbuds I should buy.

 

I've got these right now:

- Meelec M11 (the 'old' version), sound is too bass-heavy but comfort with Bi-Flanges is lovely.

- Branwavz Alpha (the cheapest version) Picked them up for $4. Sound is okay but comfort is worse. They just don't fit as well as the M11's.

 

 

Got these on my shortlist now:

Brainwavz ProAlpha (could get these for $25)

Do want these because of the fantastic sound quality. Don't want these because I've got the cheap Brainwavz alpha and they are not as comfortable as my M11's. Anybody got a clue if there's a difference in comfort between the Alpha's and the ProAlpha's? 

Meelec M11+ (now $45)

Comfort will be perfect but sound won't be as good as at the ProAlphas. Also they are $20 more expensive.

Nuforce NE-6 ($55 at local store)

A friend of mine has got these but they are mainstream and not very special. I'd rather have something with more bang/buck. Also the comfort is less than of the M11's/
 

I am a fan of some 'warm' sound but I do miss some detail with my old M11's. And they are too bass-heavy.

I am willing to spend some more (the 60-100 dollar price range), if it will make a great improvement.

The ProAlphas are a steal though. So I'm doubting.

 

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)


If you think the M11 is bassy, don't even think about trying any of the other M-series models, especially the M11+ or M31. And of course if you don't find the Alpha comfortable, I'd recommend another form factor (as the ProAlpha will likely be the same size) - the Meelec CX21, for example, which is both reasonably-priced and easy-fitting. If you're willing to go up to $75-80, there are a lot of options that will be more balanced than the old M11 and potentially quite comfortable - the ECCI PR401, Sunrise Xcape, Meelec's whole 'clarity' series, the A151, etc. And of course there's always the tiny Soundmagic PL50.

post #2105 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


 


If you think the M11 is bassy, don't even think about trying any of the other M-series models, especially the M11+ or M31. And of course if you don't find the Alpha comfortable, I'd recommend another form factor (as the ProAlpha will likely be the same size) - the Meelec CX21, for example, which is both reasonably-priced and easy-fitting. If you're willing to go up to $75-80, there are a lot of options that will be more balanced than the old M11 and potentially quite comfortable - the ECCI PR401, Sunrise Xcape, Meelec's whole 'clarity' series, the A151, etc. And of course there's always the tiny Soundmagic PL50.


Thanks for your help :)

I find the M11's very bassy with kick drums. This is not a problem with Daft Punk, but when I listen to i.e. Dire Straits, it feels like someone is punching me all the time. It's just too much then. So I would be looking for a more neutral type of headphone? I can always up the bass with a decent EQ/The bass switch on the E5 amp.

It's just that when I listen to a song with my M11, it's like all I can hear is  bass, the voices and other instruments just don't show.

 

What's your opinion about an Head-Direct RE0 + Cowon J3 /S9

I'd have a pretty neutral headphone then and I could always tweak the sound if I don't like it. But I guess the RE0 is too analytic, I do like the sound a tad warm, but just not as much as with the M11's

post #2106 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

What's your opinion about an Head-Direct RE0 + Cowon J3 /S9

I'd have a pretty neutral headphone then and I could always tweak the sound if I don't like it. But I guess the RE0 is too analytic, I do like the sound a tad warm, but just not as much as with the M11's



I think the RE0 is pretty great but if you're after a bit of warmth I would recommend the Sunrise Xcape, Meelec CC51, or even ECCI PR401 in its stead. All are very good earphones but the RE0 is the most established choice as it has simply been around way longer.

post #2107 of 16803

Hey, back again :D

 

So I see from your list of "In Progress" IEMs that you are currently trying out the Super.Fi 5 Pro's (or atleast some variation of the Super.Fi 5's).  Im currently looking at an offer of a used set of these, with a new UE cable, for $80 and am seriously considering pulling the trigger.  Do you think its a good deal or would I be better off with something like the RE0's or Ety's MC5 (as suggested to me by jleewach)?

 

My two main concerns are: durability and sound quality (consisting of clarity, "sparkle," and bass in that order).

post #2108 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxnight1189 View Post

So I see from your list of "In Progress" IEMs that you are currently trying out the Super.Fi 5 Pro's (or atleast some variation of the Super.Fi 5's).  Im currently looking at an offer of a used set of these, with a new UE cable, for $80 and am seriously considering pulling the trigger.  Do you think its a good deal or would I be better off with something like the RE0's or Ety's MC5 (as suggested to me by jleewach)?

 

My two main concerns are: durability and sound quality (consisting of clarity, "sparkle," and bass in that order).


If durability is your prime concern, buy the Etys. however, I found nothing noteworthy about their sound. Aside from isolation and durability (and Ety's warranty), I can't think of a single reason I would pick the MC5 over the RE0 or Xcape. In fact, there's at least a half-dozen other <$100 IEMs I'd chose before the MC5 just because it is somewhat bland-sounding (not bad from a technical perspective, mind you, but not something I'd willingly subject myself to). 

The SF5Pro (not to be confused with the other variations) is actually a pretty decent earphone but it's got a peculiar flavor. Even though the bass is not particularly emphasized and the treble isn't too laid back, the SF5Pro sounds somoewhat dark to me. It lacks a bit of tightness in the bass and some detail in the treble next to the RE0 and Xcape. Not a ground-breaking amount but enough for me to pick either of those two over the SF5Pro every time, given the choice.

post #2109 of 16803

I received my ck10s a little over a month ago. I can honestly say that ljokerl's review is absolutely spot on in every aspect. They are the most detailed IEMs I've ever used, however, I did find the ck10s a little too sparkly and bright for my taste. This, of course, is not a flaw but rather a conflict of personal preference.

 

So once again I'm on the search for a pair of IEMs suitable for my preference, therefore I might be selling my ck10s within the next couple weeks. I've been interested in the Earsonics Sm3 and Westone UM3x, as of late.

 

Although I desire the Sm3 more, I feel the rather "squared-off" shells might be a problem with comfort due to my incredibly tiny ears. Take a look below.

 

02-17-11_0526.jpg 02-17-11_0531.jpg

  ^^^ck10 hanging here^^^     *Tiny, aren't they? Barely 2 inches and I'm a 6ft male, lol.

post #2110 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

Hi I'm in doubt about which earbuds I should buy.

 

I've got these right now:

- Meelec M11 (the 'old' version), sound is too bass-heavy but comfort with Bi-Flanges is lovely.

- Branwavz Alpha (the cheapest version) Picked them up for $4. Sound is okay but comfort is worse. They just don't fit as well as the M11's.

 

 

Got these on my shortlist now:

Brainwavz ProAlpha (could get these for $25)

Do want these because of the fantastic sound quality. Don't want these because I've got the cheap Brainwavz alpha and they are not as comfortable as my M11's. Anybody got a clue if there's a difference in comfort between the Alpha's and the ProAlpha's? 

Meelec M11+ (now $45)

Comfort will be perfect but sound won't be as good as at the ProAlphas. Also they are $20 more expensive.

Nuforce NE-6 ($55 at local store)

A friend of mine has got these but they are mainstream and not very special. I'd rather have something with more bang/buck. Also the comfort is less than of the M11's/
 

I am a fan of some 'warm' sound but I do miss some detail with my old M11's. And they are too bass-heavy.

I am willing to spend some more (the 60-100 dollar price range), if it will make a great improvement.

The ProAlphas are a steal though. So I'm doubting.

 

Anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks in advance :)

 

From what you want, you may want to try the Meelec M21. They're not as warm as the M11, of course, but not cold either. They have some decent clarity, space, etc. I think they fit what you want.

 

On the other hand, if you would like to sacrifice some warmness in exchange for incredible clarity and deep but controlled basses, the Meelec CX21 may be the phones for you.

 

From what you say, both the M21 and the CX21 may sound bassy to you, I can't be sure, but IMHO they're not bass-heavy. OK, the M21 has the usual fun-sounding signature found in the Meelec M-series, and that means basses, but I think they are controlled. The CX21 is, to my ears, less bassy (beware, I haven't tested them thoroughly) and more clear, but that means less warm.

 

So, maybe the M21 is a good combination of warmness and basses. Even though they have the classical M-series sound signature, the increased soundstage and space may compensate.

 

I don't know if you have listened to the Meelec M9. If the answer is "yes", I think you can regard the M21 as a midpoint between the M9 and the M11+, with more space and soundstage than the M9 and a bit less definition than the M11+, a bit warmer.

 

It's a pity I cannot be of more help, but as I said I haven't tested the M21 thorougly yet. Oh, and if you liked the comfort in your old M11, the M21 are very similar: thin metal body which allows for a deep insertion and is even unnoticeable with biflanges. I love that :)

post #2111 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DervishD View Post



 

From what you want, you may want to try the Meelec M21. They're not as warm as the M11, of course, but not cold either. They have some decent clarity, space, etc. I think they fit what you want.

 

On the other hand, if you would like to sacrifice some warmness in exchange for incredible clarity and deep but controlled basses, the Meelec CX21 may be the phones for you.

 

From what you say, both the M21 and the CX21 may sound bassy to you, I can't be sure, but IMHO they're not bass-heavy. OK, the M21 has the usual fun-sounding signature found in the Meelec M-series, and that means basses, but I think they are controlled. The CX21 is, to my ears, less bassy (beware, I haven't tested them thoroughly) and more clear, but that means less warm.

 

So, maybe the M21 is a good combination of warmness and basses. Even though they have the classical M-series sound signature, the increased soundstage and space may compensate.

 

I don't know if you have listened to the Meelec M9. If the answer is "yes", I think you can regard the M21 as a midpoint between the M9 and the M11+, with more space and soundstage than the M9 and a bit less definition than the M11+, a bit warmer.

 

It's a pity I cannot be of more help, but as I said I haven't tested the M21 thorougly yet. Oh, and if you liked the comfort in your old M11, the M21 are very similar: thin metal body which allows for a deep insertion and is even unnoticeable with biflanges. I love that :)


This is exactly the comfort I mean. Deep insertion is quite nice. I really miss that at Brainwavz.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post





I think the RE0 is pretty great but if you're after a bit of warmth I would recommend the Sunrise Xcape, Meelec CC51, or even ECCI PR401 in its stead. All are very good earphones but the RE0 is the most established choice as it has simply been around way longer.


Ok, I've been doing some research about these IEM's.

There seems to be a new version of the Sunrise Xcape, which would have less definition? Have you heard these and do you have an opinion about these? They do seem to be the best buy, since you gave these 10/10 on value. I'm just a bit sceptic about the build quality. And the fact that there is a new version which would be worse? 
 

I'm also interested in the CC51 by Meelec. I do trust the build quality and comfort of Meelec, but you didn't give these a 10/10 on value.

 

ECCI PR401 isn't my thing. I'm guessing that loud Mid-Bass would mean the Kick-bass is loud? This isn't really my thing as I already find these too loud on my M11.

 

I think I'm going to wait for some discount on the CC51 as it would be the best buy for me. I do like the Sunrise Xcape but the build quality troubles me. And the fact that there are no reviews on V2.

post #2112 of 16803
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

I'm also interested in the CC51 by Meelec. I do trust the build quality and comfort of Meelec, but you didn't give these a 10/10 on value.

 

I think I'm going to wait for some discount on the CC51 as it would be the best buy for me. I do like the Sunrise Xcape but the build quality troubles me. And the fact that there are no reviews on V2.


Just two notes: the CC51 doesn't allow for a very deep insertion, as the housing has a shape very similar to a smoking pipe. Since the drivers are at the end of the housings, you can insert them deeper than other similar designs, but not as deep as the M21, for example.

 

As for sound, the CC51 are not warm at all. They're not excessively cold or analytical, but they focus on clarity, so be aware.

 

A midpoint  between the CC51 and the M21 would be the CX21. Deep insertion, good comfort, more than decent basses and cheaper than the CC51.

 

This said, I utterly love the CC51's. The only other model I like more is the A151, because it's a balanced armature on steroids, with great basses. Sound quality wise I thing the CC51 and the A151 are at the same level, but with different sound signatures.

 

But take into account that neither the CC51 nor the A151 or the CX21 have the same fun-sounding signature of the M21. They're focused on clarity and balance, so think what kind of sound do you want before buying. Any of the four models is a great buy, IMHO. I've tested all of them and I think their value is much higher than its cost, but they have different sound signatures.

 

I'm going to post reviews on the four models, but it will take me some time so probably your best bet is to trust ljokerl, his reviews are amazingly good. In fact, his reviews are my main guide for choosing new phones :)

post #2113 of 16803

Is it possible to wear the 'over-the-ear' earphones like UE TF10 normally, that is 'straight down'?

post #2114 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowfox42 View Post

I received my ck10s a little over a month ago. I can honestly say that ljokerl's review is absolutely spot on in every aspect. They are the most detailed IEMs I've ever used, however, I did find the ck10s a little too sparkly and bright for my taste. This, of course, is not a flaw but rather a conflict of personal preference.

 

So once again I'm on the search for a pair of IEMs suitable for my preference, therefore I'll be selling my ck10s within the next couple weeks. I've been interested in the Earsonics Sm3 and Westone UM3x, as of late.

 

Although I desire the Sm3 more, I feel the rather "squared-off" shells might be a problem with comfort due to my incredibly tiny ears. Take a look below.

 

It's quite difficult to judge from a photo. Obviously if you wanted to stay on the safe side you'd avoid the SM3 but there's really no way to know for sure unless you try them. I know some people have had success leaving the entire shell outside of their ear.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal88 View Post

Ok, I've been doing some research about these IEM's.

There seems to be a new version of the Sunrise Xcape, which would have less definition? Have you heard these and do you have an opinion about these? They do seem to be the best buy, since you gave these 10/10 on value. I'm just a bit sceptic about the build quality. And the fact that there is a new version which would be worse? 


I have not tried the v2 xcape but I don't think there's anything wrong with the build of the v1.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud-S View Post

Is it possible to wear the 'over-the-ear' earphones like UE TF10 normally, that is 'straight down'?


In the case of the TF10 - yes - because you can just detach the cable and swap the sides.

post #2115 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

I have not tried the v2 xcape but I don't think there's anything wrong with the build of the v1.

 


Me neither.  Much of the concern is from visual inspection and theoretical postulation.  Still waiting for mine to fail.  I'll just continue to enjoy them till then.  I think Sunrise should consider selling both variants.  The fact that they don't makes me wonder about things not sound related like the business end, hmm.....  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)