or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 919

post #13771 of 16836

I was talking about the master list of 316 IEMs

post #13772 of 16836
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post
 

I was talking about the master list of 316 IEMs

Oooops, sorry! Thanks for quoting me on that.

 

But, you're right he never posted them on his list. I do know he owns them. He highly speaks about them on several threads.

post #13773 of 16836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Yeah, a bit. Not too bad, though. The RHA MA750 for example has the right bass, treble, and presentation characteristics but it's not cool in tone and clarity/detail retrieval are not the best due to slight veiling of the midrange. The JVC FXD80 is the opposite - not as bassy and brighter/less forgiving overall, but tonally it sounds more like what you're describing. The DN-1000 is probably as close as it gets to a compromise here. The FXT90 and H-100 wouldn't really been any more suitable for your requirements than the MA750 and FXD80, respectively.

 

That helped me further clarify I feel! I don't think the RHAs are quite what I want then with the details & veiling(they are $120 as well, comparing to the HA-FXT90), and the H-100 is a little too overpriced compared to the HA-FXD80 in my opinion. Also, I don't think I can justify paying the $190-210 for the DN-1000s at this time, especially since I am going to get a nice pair of Mid-Fi open over-the-ear headphones soon that are more than that.

The FXD80 are about $75 now and the FXT90 $82 on Amazon, which both seem like pretty good deals. How does the presentation and detail retrieval compare between the two? Also, what level bass impact do the FXD80s possess or is there an iem comparative that comes to mind for its bass? Thanks for the help, very informative as always! 

post #13774 of 16836

Joker! Once again, I agree with your ranking and impressions.  I got my NT-6, and it's rediculous. It's so clear and detailed.  I didn't know CIEM could get this natural sounding!

post #13775 of 16836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post
 

Philips SHE-3590 not in the list...

 

Haven't had a chance to add it but I do recommend it wholeheartedly. It's also in my buyer's guide: http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/ 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap616 View Post
 

The FXD80 are about $75 now and the FXT90 $82 on Amazon, which both seem like pretty good deals. How does the presentation and detail retrieval compare between the two? Also, what level bass impact do the FXD80s possess or is there an iem comparative that comes to mind for its bass? Thanks for the help, very informative as always! 

 

The FXD80 has good soundstage width but sounds a bit flat/lacking in depth next to the FXT90. Detail retrieval is comparable between them. 

 

As for the FXD80's bass quantity, among the other sets you're considering it's north of the H-100 but south of the MA750.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Joker! Once again, I agree with your ranking and impressions.  I got my NT-6, and it's rediculous. It's so clear and detailed.  I didn't know CIEM could get this natural sounding!

 

 

Wow, another NT-6 owner! Glad to hear that, they really are very special.

post #13776 of 16836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Haven't had a chance to add it but I do recommend it wholeheartedly. It's also in my buyer's guide: http://theheadphonelist.com/earphone-buyers-guide/ 

Thank you, the guide is great.

How much V shaped are the Philips SHE-3590 in comparison with CX-300?

Because I own some CX-300 but never liked them..

post #13777 of 16836
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post
 

Thank you, the guide is great.

How much V shaped are the Philips SHE-3590 in comparison with CX-300?

Because I own some CX-300 but never liked them..

Courtesy of Joe Bloggs' thread on the SHE3590.

 

 

 

And here's a FR graph I found for the CX 300

post #13778 of 16836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

The FXD80 has good soundstage width but sounds a bit flat/lacking in depth next to the FXT90. Detail retrieval is comparable between them. 

 

As for the FXD80's bass quantity, among the other sets you're considering it's north of the H-100 but south of the MA750.

 

One last question, is the FXT90 bass on par with the MA750 or below it but north of the FXD80?

 

I think I want to try the FXD80 because of the tone and brightness, but the size of the microdrivers might bother my ears just a bit. Let's hope not. I think I must have smaller or oddly-shaped ears canals though. Being an indecisive overthinker does not help... haha

I think I am going to go with the FXD80 anyway. I might try the FXT90 if they don't work though in the future. Thanks for your help Joker! I'll try to let you know how I like them. Greatly appreciated :biggrin:

post #13779 of 16836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl View Post
 

Thank you, the guide is great.

How much V shaped are the Philips SHE-3590 in comparison with CX-300?

Because I own some CX-300 but never liked them..

 

More v-shaped by a good amount. The CX300 isn't really v-shaped, just bloated and boomy because of all that mid-bass.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap616 View Post
 

 

One last question, is the FXT90 bass on par with the MA750 or below it but north of the FXD80?

 

I think I want to try the FXD80 because of the tone and brightness, but the size of the microdrivers might bother my ears just a bit. Let's hope not. I think I must have smaller or oddly-shaped ears canals though. Being an indecisive overthinker does not help... haha

I think I am going to go with the FXD80 anyway. I might try the FXT90 if they don't work though in the future. Thanks for your help Joker! I'll try to let you know how I like them. Greatly appreciated :biggrin:

 

The FXT90 doesn't have the most subbass presence but its bass impact is closest to the MA750 and greater than with the FXD80.

 

There was someone else recently who had the same concerns about the design of the FXD80 (coming from a non-microdriver earphone) but last I heard that worked out quite well.

post #13780 of 16836

Hi there! This review is literally to extensive to read... I hope specific questions arent to much of a bother.. Ive been scouring the nets (a lot of head-fi) for the past few days regarding top tier (under 500$) universal IEMs that play well with bass heavy genres such as (trance, dubstep, drum & bass etc).

 

Heres a basic list of what Ive been observing.. Although the iE80 has good reviews regarding bass response.. frankly im turned off by the idea of an adjustable "bass knob". It feels very gimmicky to me and suggests the product is very overpriced. Not to mention more moving parts = bad.

 

Westone 4 freq response seems to be "dark"?.. but somewhat lacking in sub response from what ive heard despite its consistently high reviews.. so these are a maybe?... idk.

 

I havent been able to get a clear review on the J-phonics regarding playback with EDM genres unfortunately so im in the dark there as well..

 

The TDK's came highly reviewed on a inner fidelity review post but it was posted in 2011 which leads me to think its probably outdated considering the advances in the past 3 years.. 

 

Westone 4             ($450)        4 BA

j-phonic K2 SP      ($400)        2 BA

Sony EX 1000        ($500)       ?

TDK BA200           ($250)        2 BA

(Sennheiser) iE80($270)        1 Dynamic

 

Im kind of exhausted researching this... Im ready to buy a pair of 500$ or less universal IEMs.. some guidance would really be appreciated.. im surprised there isnt a threat already covering this TBH.. Ive already learned a ton in the past few days about IEMs and now im at a seamingly infinite crossroads without any definitive help from anyone yet.

 

SUMMARY: 500$ or less universal fit IEM (balanced armature or dynamic or hybrid) that plays best with bass centric EDM music.. not necessarily more bass (maybe more).. but focused also on bass clarity / punch and definition (which may constitute a freq response curve with accentuated lows around 40 hurtz and cuts around 330 hurtz). 

 

Please help >.<

zenstep@zenstep.com 

post #13781 of 16836

Hello, I went over all your recommendations for the $30-$60 price range IEMs and gathered that your top picks are:

Sony MH1C
SteelSeries Flux In-Ear
VSonic V02

 

Unless there are other recommended earphones, which of these would you recommend to a person that appreciates very accurate

sound but also enjoys noticeable bass?

post #13782 of 16836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstep View Post
 

The TDK's came highly reviewed on a inner fidelity review post but it was posted in 2011 which leads me to think its probably outdated considering the advances in the past 3 years.. 

 

Westone 4             ($450)        4 BA

j-phonic K2 SP      ($400)        2 BA

Sony EX 1000        ($500)       ?

TDK BA200           ($250)        2 BA

(Sennheiser) iE80($270)        1 Dynamic

 

Im kind of exhausted researching this... Im ready to buy a pair of 500$ or less universal IEMs.. some guidance would really be appreciated.. im surprised there isnt a threat already covering this TBH.. Ive already learned a ton in the past few days about IEMs and now im at a seamingly infinite crossroads without any definitive help from anyone yet.

 

SUMMARY: 500$ or less universal fit IEM (balanced armature or dynamic or hybrid) that plays best with bass centric EDM music.. not necessarily more bass (maybe more).. but focused also on bass clarity / punch and definition (which may constitute a freq response curve with accentuated lows around 40 hurtz and cuts around 330 hurtz). 

 

Please help >.<

zenstep@zenstep.com 

 

The j-Phonics aren't available outside of Japan anymore. The BA200 has been discontinued but it's still a very good earphone - I just added it to this review 10 days ago. The Westone 4 and EX1000 are older, anyway.

 

The sets you're looking at are kind of all over the place. For example, the BA earphone with the best deep bass (IMO) - the EarSonics SM64 - isn't even on your list. The IE80 is bassier than all the other ones you're considering, too, and well-performing hybrids such as the Dunu DN-1000 and DN-2000 aren't on your list at all. I would definitely consider both of those for EDM if you want good bass bunch that's still short of the IE80 in quantity. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyq View Post
 

Hello, I went over all your recommendations for the $30-$60 price range IEMs and gathered that your top picks are:

Sony MH1C
SteelSeries Flux In-Ear
VSonic V02

 

Unless there are other recommended earphones, which of these would you recommend to a person that appreciates very accurate

sound but also enjoys noticeable bass?

 

I recommend the VSonic VSD1S over the VC02, especially with your requirements. It's the one I'd go for for accurate sound with a bit of added bass punch, unless you think its treble might be too much for you in which case I'd go with the Flux. 

post #13783 of 16836

Hi Joker.

 

I have extensively used the following earphones, all bought after referring this Epic thread of yours. (Except the first one)

Creative EP 630 (Used for 3 years before one side gave up)

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition (Used for 2 years before 1 side gave up)

HiSound Audio Wooduo 2 (Used for a few months before 1 side gave up)

Sony MH1C (Currently in use)

Vsonic VSD1 (Used for several months before... I misstepped on it and broke the housing...) (Chose VSD1 over VSD1S because of the supposedly enhanced bass)

 

Out of all the above, despite hoping that the VSD1's would be an upgrade over the GR02 Bass Editions, I felt I enjoyed the GR02 BE more. The Wooduo 2 and MH1C, I don't know the exact term for this, I found a bit veiled in comparison, though I did still enjoy both the sets. And the VSD1 I found a bit lacking in bass, and more sibilant compared to the GR02 BE. I also found the Soundstage/3D Imaging of the GR02 BE more expansive. I don't know whether what I felt contradicts your opinion or not. Or it might just be the individual sets.

 

I am continuing to use the Sony MH1Cs, but I have to start searching for another set again, this is turning out to be a very expensive hobby for me now... So, what would you recommend now for me? Something which I can procure in India (preferably something available at lendmeurears, mp4nation or hifinage (Indian retailer for Vsonic)). Budget will be not more than 50-60 USD.

 

Help.

 

And Thanks, for all your advice along the years.

post #13784 of 16836

Joker thanks for your quick reply.. its so nice to have some backup on this subject ^-^

I literally JUST realized you were the one who published the "Multi-IEM Review - 316 IEMs compared", did you write this and compare these yourself??? Its incredibly detailed.. very impressive. Is this list still relevant in 2014? I couldn't find a publishing date on it other than the post date in 2010.

 

Ive recently checked out a new 3 BA system that is marketed with supposedly a huge amount of well controlled bass and a superb soundstage.. InEar StageDiver 3 (SD-3) [($600) 3 BA] however they appear to be slightly uncomfortable to wear and about 100$ out of my price range.. although they look better than any universal IEM i've ever seen, seeing as how they site low profile in your ear like a custom.. very cool. Should I extend my price range for these?

 

This is an updated list of the IEMs on my mind, 

 

EarSonics SM64                    ($450)        3 BA

InEar StageDiver 3 (SD-3)    ($600)        3 BA

Dunu DN-2000                       ($315)        2 BA 1 Dynamic

(Sennheiser) iE80                  ($270)        1 Dynamic

TDK BA200                             ($250)        2 BA

InEar StageDiver 2 (SD-2)    ($450)        2 BA

 

I hate to take up your time but would you mind comparing these or possibly giving me some others to think about? I think you know what Im after now and I'm still quite unsure which of these is best. Do the Dunu DN-2000's have replaceable ear tips? (could i use comply foam tips with them?). If you don't have the time perhaps you could just label them from best to worst for my particular needs? Im an audio engineer and composer.. primarily listening to bass centric EDM and i want some good walking around and sleeping in IEMs that deliver clear impactful bass. Ill be using my ipod and iphone built in amp (not that that matters within most universal IEMs seeing as the amp seems more then enough to power these).

 

Thank you so much for your time.. 

 

Best, 

 

Zenstep

post #13785 of 16836
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHoncho View Post
 

Hi Joker.

 

I have extensively used the following earphones, all bought after referring this Epic thread of yours. (Except the first one)

Creative EP 630 (Used for 3 years before one side gave up)

Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition (Used for 2 years before 1 side gave up)

HiSound Audio Wooduo 2 (Used for a few months before 1 side gave up)

Sony MH1C (Currently in use)

Vsonic VSD1 (Used for several months before... I misstepped on it and broke the housing...) (Chose VSD1 over VSD1S because of the supposedly enhanced bass)

 

Out of all the above, despite hoping that the VSD1's would be an upgrade over the GR02 Bass Editions, I felt I enjoyed the GR02 BE more. The Wooduo 2 and MH1C, I don't know the exact term for this, I found a bit veiled in comparison, though I did still enjoy both the sets. And the VSD1 I found a bit lacking in bass, and more sibilant compared to the GR02 BE. I also found the Soundstage/3D Imaging of the GR02 BE more expansive. I don't know whether what I felt contradicts your opinion or not. Or it might just be the individual sets.

 

I am continuing to use the Sony MH1Cs, but I have to start searching for another set again, this is turning out to be a very expensive hobby for me now... So, what would you recommend now for me? Something which I can procure in India (preferably something available at lendmeurears, mp4nation or hifinage (Indian retailer for Vsonic)). Budget will be not more than 50-60 USD.

 

Help.

 

And Thanks, for all your advice along the years.

 

Why not just get another GR02 BE? I haven't heard anything that sounds very similar to these but better - they are just bassier than the VSD1 and most of the other sets I recommend often these days, so I don't think there's anything more suitable for you in that price range. The ATH-CKM500 might be worth considering but its deep bass is not as prominent as that of the GR02.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstep View Post
 

Joker thanks for your quick reply.. its so nice to have some backup on this subject ^-^

I literally JUST realized you were the one who published the "Multi-IEM Review - 316 IEMs compared", did you write this and compare these yourself??? Its incredibly detailed.. very impressive. Is this list still relevant in 2014? I couldn't find a publishing date on it other than the post date in 2010.

 

Ive recently checked out a new 3 BA system that is marketed with supposedly a huge amount of well controlled bass and a superb soundstage.. InEar StageDiver 3 (SD-3) [($600) 3 BA] however they appear to be slightly uncomfortable to wear and about 100$ out of my price range.. although they look better than any universal IEM i've ever seen, seeing as how they site low profile in your ear like a custom.. very cool. Should I extend my price range for these?

 

This is an updated list of the IEMs on my mind, 

 

EarSonics SM64                    ($450)        3 BA

InEar StageDiver 3 (SD-3)    ($600)        3 BA

Dunu DN-2000                       ($315)        2 BA 1 Dynamic

(Sennheiser) iE80                  ($270)        1 Dynamic

TDK BA200                             ($250)        2 BA

InEar StageDiver 2 (SD-2)    ($450)        2 BA

 

I hate to take up your time but would you mind comparing these or possibly giving me some others to think about? I think you know what Im after now and I'm still quite unsure which of these is best. Do the Dunu DN-2000's have replaceable ear tips? (could i use comply foam tips with them?). If you don't have the time perhaps you could just label them from best to worst for my particular needs? Im an audio engineer and composer.. primarily listening to bass centric EDM and i want some good walking around and sleeping in IEMs that deliver clear impactful bass. Ill be using my ipod and iphone built in amp (not that that matters within most universal IEMs seeing as the amp seems more then enough to power these).

 

Thank you so much for your time.. 

 

Best, 

 

Zenstep

 

Yes, I wrote this review. It's being updated ~weekly - see the title of the thread and the index with the review "add" dates. There's also an easier-to-navigate version here: http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-list/ 

 

My StageDiver SD-3/SD-2 reviews are both included in this thread. The bass of the SD-3 is a little excessive for me and I preferred the SD-2. Both are approximately comparable to the EarSonics SM64, but the SM64 seems to be more along the lines of what you're looking for in terms of sound. It's also more comfortable than the regular SD-2/SD-3 (although there are new "small" versions of both StageDivers available that might be more comfortable than the regular ones). 

 

Of course the DN-2000 has replaceable eartips - all universal earphones do. It comes with some foam tips in the package and you can use Complys with it as well (T400 size I think, might need to double-check). 


Honestly, your requirements are generic enough that a lot of earphones can be said to fit them. I probably wouldn't get one of the more more flat-sounding ones (BA200, SD-2) for EDM but there's a good chance you'd enjoy those as well, so it's hard to rule them out. It would be easier if you'd already tried some more affordable sets to at least know what worked for you and what didn't. Anyway, it might be the "new toy" syndrome talking but I think the DN-2000 is as good a place to start as any, especially as it's considerably less expensive than the SM64 or SD-3. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)