or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 823

post #12331 of 16803
Hiya Joker,

A quick one for ya: of the GR07, SE535, and SM2, which would you say has the best combo of out-of-head presentation and a generally fun, punchy, dynamic sound? Also how would you compare the bass of the 535 to the SM2?
post #12332 of 16803

With Christmas coming up, I think I may have the chance to settle down, after a bunch of pretty great cheapos, with a nice mid-range ($100-120) IEM, which should last me quite a while. There are a few I've had my eye on, so I'd like to ask you for some advice. As they are quite sturdy and the most easily available (especially with warranty), I'm considering the RHA MA750, which may not fit my sound preference (strong, but quick and not overpowering bass (also more subbass than midbass focus), a nice and not too recessed midrange with a fair bit of hights. also as much separation and detail as possible), but otherwise seem like a decent choice. Unfortunately the GR07, which seem closer to my preference, would be much harder to obtain. I've also been looking at the new Audio-Technica IM50 and IM70, which are in this range. Any tips perhaps?


Edited by TooLazy - 12/16/13 at 11:11am
post #12333 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLazy View Post
 

With Christmas coming up, I think I may have the chance to settle down, after a bunch of pretty great cheapos, with a nice mid-range ($100-120) IEM, which should last me quite a while. There are a few I've had my eye on, so I'd like to ask you for some advice. As they are quite sturdy and the most easily available (especially with warranty), I'm considering the RHA MA750, which may not fit my sound preference (strong, but quick and not overpowering bass, a nice and not too recessed midrange with a fair bit of hights. also as much separation and detail as possible), but otherwise seem like a decent choice. Unfortunately the GR07, which seem closer to my preference, would be much harder to obtain. I've also been looking at the new Audio-Technica IM50 and IM70, which are in this range. Any tips perhaps?

 

The JVC FXT-90 is another option in that range with a sound similar to what you seem to want.  Strong and impactful(but far from overwhelming) bass, sparkly treble with no real harshness and a midrange that doesn't give up much emphasis either.  Detail is supposedly almost on par with the GR07.  My pair have been going strong since I got them with no defects and the build quality is quite good, although since you have to import them I'm not sure about the warranty.  Still, you can get a pair from about $80 from Amazon sellers now, which is a pretty awesome deal for how good they sound.  The Meelectronics M-DUO is similar but with a stronger V shape sound to my ears, although it's also more readily available in the US of course.

post #12334 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFMK View Post
 

 

The JVC FXT-90 is another option in that range with a sound similar to what you seem to want.  Strong and impactful(but far from overwhelming) bass, sparkly treble with no real harshness and a midrange that doesn't give up much emphasis either.  Detail is supposedly almost on par with the GR07.  My pair have been going strong since I got them with no defects and the build quality is quite good, although since you have to import them I'm not sure about the warranty.  Still, you can get a pair from about $80 from Amazon sellers now, which is a pretty awesome deal for how good they sound.  The Meelectronics M-DUO is similar but with a stronger V shape sound to my ears, although it's also more readily available in the US of course.


Thanks for the reply! The biggest issue here is that while those are easy to get in the US, I'm European and neither is available around here, unfortunately.

post #12335 of 16803

The lower treble on the FXT90 is pretty harsh to a lot of people, myself included; I need Complys to enjoy them.

 

EDIT: I can heartily recommend the IM50.


Edited by quartertone - 12/16/13 at 11:21am
post #12336 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

The lower treble on the FXT90 is pretty harsh to a lot of people, myself included; I need Complys to enjoy them.

 

EDIT: I can heartily recommend the IM50.

Could you please give me a quick comparison of the IM50 and the Quadbeat 2, which I see you own? Also, how sturdy/durable do they seem?

post #12337 of 16803

The IM50 has much fuller mids - I don't think of the QB2 as V-shaped, but they sounded like it when I switched from the IM50 earlier today. They both have good soundstages, with the IM50 a bit more immersive and 3D. The IM50 are built very solidly, though I don't know how reliable the cable connectors are yet. They're also quite big and bulky; any more so and they'd be too uncomfortable for me. The LG are smaller and lighter, and mostly disappear in your ears, while the AT stick out a bit (and the memory wire may be annoying to some). I'd say the IM50 are better in most ways, though if you like pronounced treble sparkle you might find them a bit tame up top. The QB2 have more sparkle, but still stay smooth, plus they have the headset functionality (including volume controls, which not many Android headsets have). They're both bargains.

post #12338 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

The IM50 has much fuller mids - I don't think of the QB2 as V-shaped, but they sounded like it when I switched from the IM50 earlier today. They both have good soundstages, with the IM50 a bit more immersive and 3D. The IM50 are built very solidly, though I don't know how reliable the cable connectors are yet. They're also quite big and bulky; any more so and they'd be too uncomfortable for me. The LG are smaller and lighter, and mostly disappear in your ears, while the AT stick out a bit (and the memory wire may be annoying to some). I'd say the IM50 are better in most ways, though if you like pronounced treble sparkle you might find them a bit tame up top. The QB2 have more sparkle, but still stay smooth, plus they have the headset functionality (including volume controls, which not many Android headsets have). They're both bargains.


Thanks! You aren't making this a lot easier though. :D The sound signature of the IM50 might be better for me than the  QB2, though I really quite like these as well (at least as far as sound goes, I'm not a big fan of their comfort, or lack thereof). How's the bass of the IM50 comparatively? Ideally, I'd be looking for a bit less midbass and a bit more subbass, but I don't really expect the latter here.

post #12339 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartertone View Post
 

The lower treble on the FXT90 is pretty harsh to a lot of people, myself included; I need Complys to enjoy them.

 

EDIT: I can heartily recommend the IM50.

Between FXT90 and DBA02-MKII, which one has a smoother treble, more detail, larger sound stage and better separation?

post #12340 of 16803

The Fischer wins on all those fronts. It's quite light on bass though.

post #12341 of 16803
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post

Hiya Joker,

A quick one for ya: of the GR07, SE535, and SM2, which would you say has the best combo of out-of-head presentation and a generally fun, punchy, dynamic sound? Also how would you compare the bass of the 535 to the SM2?

 

I would have a tough time labeling the SE535 as "fun". It doesn't have as much as the SM2, that's for sure. In general I think of "fun" as more of a v-shaped signature (think "rock" EQ present) which in this is case is closest to the GR07 (or better yet GR07 BE). The SM2 has a warmer sound with more relaxed upper mids. Again, not really "fun" for me, personally at this stage - more of a UM3X competitor in the musician's monitor space. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLazy View Post
 

With Christmas coming up, I think I may have the chance to settle down, after a bunch of pretty great cheapos, with a nice mid-range ($100-120) IEM, which should last me quite a while. There are a few I've had my eye on, so I'd like to ask you for some advice. As they are quite sturdy and the most easily available (especially with warranty), I'm considering the RHA MA750, which may not fit my sound preference (strong, but quick and not overpowering bass (also more subbass than midbass focus), a nice and not too recessed midrange with a fair bit of hights. also as much separation and detail as possible), but otherwise seem like a decent choice. Unfortunately the GR07, which seem closer to my preference, would be much harder to obtain. I've also been looking at the new Audio-Technica IM50 and IM70, which are in this range. Any tips perhaps?

 

I like the MA750. It has plenty of bass but I think it does a good job of keeping it under control. Subbass is certainly impressive. Mids are not notably recessed. Treble is forgiving but not too dark. Build quality is amazing. It's not the most resolving IEM but if we're talking stuff in that price range, with a warranty, from a Western brand that's probably as good as it gets. Its sound definitely beats $100 models from brands like Onkyo and Shure, which also have very solid build quality. 

post #12342 of 16803
Great, thanks! Just some quick follow-up quiestions: How's the isolation? I haven't found a whole lot about that. Also, in your upcoming review, roughly what score can we expect the sound to get?

EDIT: Also, if we consider eastern manufacturers as well, would any IEM best it by a significant margin?
Edited by TooLazy - 12/17/13 at 2:07am
post #12343 of 16803
After listening to DBA02-MKII, I found it has a very good detail and good sound stage stage and separation. However I found the treble is a bit bright and sometimes fatigue my ear.
Another problem is the bass is too light and loose.

Is there any IEM has good detail, sound stagestage and separation like in DBA02-MKII but has tight and deep base with less fatigue treble?
post #12344 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannkind246 View Post

After listening to DBA02-MKII, I found it has a very good detail and good sound stage stage and separation. However I found the treble is a bit bright and sometimes fatigue my ear.
Another problem is the bass is too light and loose.

Is there any IEM has good detail, sound stagestage and separation like in DBA02-MKII but has tight and deep base with less fatigue treble?

The T-PEOS H-200 comes to mind, if you want to spend that much. 

post #12345 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannkind246 View Post

After listening to DBA02-MKII, I found it has a very good detail and good sound stage stage and separation. However I found the treble is a bit bright and sometimes fatigue my ear.
Another problem is the bass is too light and loose.

Is there any IEM has good detail, sound stagestage and separation like in DBA02-MKII but has tight and deep base with less fatigue treble?

You can try Dunu DN-1000.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)