or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 83

post #1231 of 16802
I'm aware of those 2, but wanted to know if there were any alternatives with the characteristics I am looking for. Especially if there are universals that will do the trick and be much cheaper. I've been happy with my HD600 in the face of many many higher end setups I didn't prefer, so I have no problem not being the 'I spent the most, I'm the coolest' person.

Also, if someone can answer a couple quick questions regarding customs:

I read in the customs intro thread/wiki thing that impression kits are often wrong and a professional impression is recommended. I've never visited an audiologist. How much will something like this cost? How long does it take to get them crafted once you mail off the impressions? Are they heavy at all?
post #1232 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Using the MEElectronics M9 as the starting point, do you have a suggestion (up to ~$1500) for an IEM (or custom) that has similar bass (or slightly less) quantity, great bass quality, the same 3D headstage, but with great mids and fast ultra clear highs? I've come to appreciate these M9s more than when I first got them (certainly), but the crunchy highs are getting to me. I'm also considering a wholesale rig swap from traditional cans to IEMs (amped at home with desktop amp, no amp portably). The 3D headstage on these M9s is addictive, and going back and forth with my HE-6, the massive difference in bass quantity leaves me wanting IEMs.

 

Ha, that budget is way out of my budget tongue.gif. If you move up from the M9 to universals in the $150-400 range you will definitely get the all of the improvements you are looking for. The M9 is very bass-heavy so the IE8 could be to your liking but for a realistic and immersive headstage I can't recommend the Earsonics SM3 highly enough. The Monster Miles Davis will probably appeal to you as well - it's definitely got the bass you're after and the soundstaging is at least as good as with the M9. Not the quickest earphone but again at least as fast as the M9. Also extremely smooth in the midrange and treble. The M9 really is pretty low on the foodchain when you start comparing it to top-tiers so there's plenty of options. 

 

That said, you are indeed looking at customs with the latter $1k of that price range (erm... FAD earphones excepted) and I really don't have much experience. My first custom is currently just entering the production stage over at 1964EARS so I really won't even know how it compares to all the universals for a little while. 
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Also, if someone can answer a couple quick questions regarding customs:

I read in the customs intro thread/wiki thing that impression kits are often wrong and a professional impression is recommended. I've never visited an audiologist. How much will something like this cost? How long does it take to get them crafted once you mail off the impressions? Are they heavy at all?


Yep, definitely get a professional impression done. I used Westone's site to find an audiologist 10 mins from my house. You can also use the audiologist locator on UE's site - their databases don't overlap too much. She came in on a Saturday for me and charged just $20/ear. Very easy process - took maybe 20 mins total. Slight bit of discomfort with the ear pressure build up when the silicone putty is injected but nothing terrible. After that there's the added expense of mailing off the impressions (since I wasn't getting Westones it wasn't included in her price) - a massive $4.95 in my case. 

 

Crafting time depends on the company. I've heard of people getting a 2-day turnaround with JHA but I was promised 5-10 days plus shipping time by 1964. No idea if the customs are heavy yet but I'm guessing no more than some of the metal-shelled universals.

post #1233 of 16802

The ones I have are 3 drivers and they aren't really that heavy. It doesn't seem that much heavier than my other earphones

 

which model customs did u end up getting joker?

post #1234 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Yeah, I have an Xcape and I do like it. Very very dry sound (been using the RE262 and M3 lately) but excellent for the price on the whole.


No, my CK10s are out on loan so I didn't want to keep them in my sig. In their absence I do resort to the RE262 for casual listening but part of that is because some of my other decent IEMs (W2, TF10, IE7) are out also.



Ah yes, dry is exactly how I would describe the Xcape. There was something peculiar about them and I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. They sound great, but coming from the Custom 3, e-Q7, and RE262 they are dry in comparison, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences.

 

 

Haha interesting how you call it "resorting" to the RE262, as if they are some sort of torture device that you had to be forced to put on.


I guess that's right.  I had the same issue w/ finding the right descriptor for that Xcape dryness.  I think shigzeo referred to it as sheen.  Perhaps the reason I couldn't come up w/ 'dry' is because I usually associate dry with lean or thin.  The Xcape is certainly not that to my ears.  

post #1235 of 16802

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

I guess that's right.  I had the same issue w/ finding the right descriptor for that Xcape dryness.  I think shigzeo referred to it as sheen.  Perhaps the reason I couldn't come up w/ 'dry' is because I usually associate dry with lean or thin.  The Xcape is certainly not that to my ears.  


 

Yes I agree, they are definitely not lean or thin. They have a full sound, but are still somewhat "dry" which is a very peculiar mix of traits. Don't really want to get too deep into semantics, but I think sheen is a good way to describe it as well.

post #1236 of 16802

I can see people finding the Xcape light in bass if they are used to more heavy stuff. If I only had my TS02 or HJE900 they would be considered to be thin in the bass. I like it so far however. It's closer to my signature than some of the previous earphones I've been listening to it and is enjoyable for the most part. If only they  had a chin slider and shirt clip :) I just have to find some good tips for them.

post #1237 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Using the MEElectronics M9 as the starting point, do you have a suggestion (up to ~$1500) for an IEM (or custom) that has similar bass (or slightly less) quantity, great bass quality, the same 3D headstage, but with great mids and fast ultra clear highs? I've come to appreciate these M9s more than when I first got them (certainly), but the crunchy highs are getting to me. I'm also considering a wholesale rig swap from traditional cans to IEMs (amped at home with desktop amp, no amp portably). The 3D headstage on these M9s is addictive, and going back and forth with my HE-6, the massive difference in bass quantity leaves me wanting IEMs.

 

Ha, that budget is way out of my budget tongue.gif. If you move up from the M9 to universals in the $150-400 range you will definitely get the all of the improvements you are looking for. The M9 is very bass-heavy so the IE8 could be to your liking but for a realistic and immersive headstage I can't recommend the Earsonics SM3 highly enough. The Monster Miles Davis will probably appeal to you as well - it's definitely got the bass you're after and the soundstaging is at least as good as with the M9. Not the quickest earphone but again at least as fast as the M9. Also extremely smooth in the midrange and treble. The M9 really is pretty low on the foodchain when you start comparing it to top-tiers so there's plenty of options. 

 

That said, you are indeed looking at customs with the latter $1k of that price range (erm... FAD earphones excepted) and I really don't have much experience. My first custom is currently just entering the production stage over at 1964EARS so I really won't even know how it compares to all the universals for a little while. 
 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post

Also, if someone can answer a couple quick questions regarding customs:

I read in the customs intro thread/wiki thing that impression kits are often wrong and a professional impression is recommended. I've never visited an audiologist. How much will something like this cost? How long does it take to get them crafted once you mail off the impressions? Are they heavy at all?


Yep, definitely get a professional impression done. I used Westone's site to find an audiologist 10 mins from my house. You can also use the audiologist locator on UE's site - their databases don't overlap too much. She came in on a Saturday for me and charged just $20/ear. Very easy process - took maybe 20 mins total. Slight bit of discomfort with the ear pressure build up when the silicone putty is injected but nothing terrible. After that there's the added expense of mailing off the impressions (since I wasn't getting Westones it wasn't included in her price) - a massive $4.95 in my case. 

 

Crafting time depends on the company. I've heard of people getting a 2-day turnaround with JHA but I was promised 5-10 days plus shipping time by 1964. No idea if the customs are heavy yet but I'm guessing no more than some of the metal-shelled universals.


Thanks. Really appreciate it.
post #1238 of 16802
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

The ones I have are 3 drivers and they aren't really that heavy. It doesn't seem that much heavier than my other earphones

 

which model customs did u end up getting joker?



1964-T (trips)

post #1239 of 16802

My second pair of westone 2's just failed today.  So requested a refund.  First pair the nozzle came off, second pair, the right side died completely.  I liked the size, and sound (although felt it could do with a bit more bass) and isolation (very important this!).  I did have slight issues with the fit on my right side.  Just wondering now if I ought to either get a third set of w2's or take the plunge with something else.  Looking at either a sideways step level quality or upwards and have done with it.  W3's sound like it could be too much of a good thing.  Would be used mainly at work.  Using an ipod touch second gen.

 

Cheers.

post #1240 of 16802

I was hoping that's the pair you would choose out of them. The triple driver is the one I've looking at and what better way than to have someone who has a similar preference to mine get it first ;p I look forward to impressions whenever they are done and send them to you.

 

post #1241 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post

My second pair of westone 2's just failed today.  So requested a refund.  First pair the nozzle came off, second pair, the right side died completely.  I liked the size, and sound (although felt it could do with a bit more bass) and isolation (very important this!).  I did have slight issues with the fit on my right side.  Just wondering now if I ought to either get a third set of w2's or take the plunge with something else.  Looking at either a sideways step level quality or upwards and have done with it.  W3's sound like it could be too much of a good thing.  Would be used mainly at work.  Using an ipod touch second gen.


Well if you're happy with the rest of the W2's sound I can't think of anything else to recommend. There is no 'W2 with more bass' earphone that I'm aware of that would also keep you in the same price tier. Moving up you could try the SM3 but it is bigger and not as easy on the ears (fit-wise) as the W2.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I was hoping that's the pair you would choose out of them. The triple driver is the one I've looking at and what better way than to have someone who has a similar preference to mine get it first ;p I look forward to impressions whenever they are done and send them to you.

 


Yeah, had to get the trips. 2-way x-overs generally bode pretty well with me and the extra bass driver over the duals might be nice to have. Time will tell.

post #1242 of 16802

That's partly why I'm planning on buying them and probably over the JH5 as both are the same price for me. Those have a dual bass and single treble while my current customs are single low and dual highs. I'm hoping it's a dual CI22955 and single ED29689 driver. Hopefully it works out for you as you finally enter the world of customs :)

post #1243 of 16802

hmm, you think you'll end up review those NOX Audio Scouts?  they made a wave on cnet!  haha

post #1244 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

That's partly why I'm planning on buying them and probably over the JH5 as both are the same price for me. Those have a dual bass and single treble while my current customs are single low and dual highs. I'm hoping it's a dual CI22955 and single ED29689 driver. Hopefully it works out for you as you finally enter the world of customs :)


rawrster, try calling the company and asking them. I called them earlier out of curiosity to get an idea of what the IEMs are supposed to sound like, and they were remarkably forthcoming insofar as driver choice and sound signature are concerned. For instance, the single driver apparently uses the exact same armature as found in the shure e3. Didn't ask for specifics about the others, but it's surprisingly nice that they actually disclose such information. Props to them.

post #1245 of 16802
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

That's partly why I'm planning on buying them and probably over the JH5 as both are the same price for me. Those have a dual bass and single treble while my current customs are single low and dual highs. I'm hoping it's a dual CI22955 and single ED29689 driver. Hopefully it works out for you as you finally enter the world of customs :)


I'll try to take photos of the insides but I have no idea how the my color selection will turn out at this point. Hopefully the molding quality is good enough for them to remain transparent even with dye. 

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post

hmm, you think you'll end up review those NOX Audio Scouts?  they made a wave on cnet!  haha


First I've heard of them... I'll put them on the list of companies to contact but I really need to figure out a way to prioritize. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)