or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 78

post #1156 of 16802

Great addition of the Westone W family ljokerl.  Your impressions fall right into place.  I agree the W3's aren't for everyone and they are tip and fit dependent (I prefer the Shure Olive's with both W2 & W3). The W2's were less finicky with tips.  They are undoubtedly my two favorite IEM's to date.  I agree that the W3's won't appeal to those who find joy in analyzing music or an IEM's presentation, but for pure enjoyment, they are hard to beat for me.  I use all of my IEM's for "fun" listening.  The W3's get my toes tapping, head banging or make me want to dance every time they're in my ears (sorry about the bad dancing visual - LOL).  The W2's were perfect for casual listening while reading or working, engaging enough but not overwhelming, a great all-arounder.  As always, thanks for your hard work.

post #1157 of 16802
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by izaku View Post

Wow, 3 IEM reviews in the row.

Now you mentioned more about SM3 and TF10.

Hopefully you are able to write the comparison in near future :)

 

headfiers must thank for your effort as usual. Many decisions are made from this review.


Thanks. I've been working on the SM3 but very slowly since it's a complex sound signature and also because I have other reviews that have deadlines on them. The TF10 has already been delayed for a while since it's mine and I don't feel any pressure to finish it (plus I don't like the fit at all). I'll get them done eventually.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid View Post

Now that's a trifecta people have been waiting for. Well done!


Quote:

Originally Posted by airwax View Post

Thanks for the reviews of the Westones Joker. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0lar View Post

This thread really gets better every day!

I looked for the Sennheiser IE7, but the price is a bit higher then I hoped and not easy to get my hand on, so I ordered a RE0 from ampcity. Now I also ordered the mini3 diy kit and I am really curious about all of this. I have read about the foam-removal of the RE0, so I am interested about that as well.

Are there any other European forum members here that find it hard to find most of the good IEM's in the shops.

Of course you can always buy from the internet, but, there doesn't seem to be a choice. From what I have read the RE0 is a top IEM, I guess I won't need another after that.


Thanks, and congratulations on your purchase. I did try the foam mod back when I had the RE0 but it already had enough treble for my tastes with the foam so I ended up putting it back in. YMMV.


 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kpalsm View Post

Thanks very much joker, for this huge comparison! Excuse my ignorance (I "searched" the thread, haven't read it) but have you listened to the UM2 yet, and if so, where would that fit? It's what I'm planning to buy. From what I've read, it seems it's hard to go wrong with those etysmile.gif


Thanks, and no - no plans for a UM2. I haven't tried either that or the UM1 and from what I've read they wouldn't hold my interest too well (even the W2 struggles with that).


 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Nice reviews, also the IE8 should get updated on the chart with having phone capabilities now. 


Thanks, wasn't aware of that. I'll change it with the next update.


 


Quote:

Originally Posted by dfrost View Post

Joker,

 

The more I learn about IEMs, the more impressed I am with your ability to describe and compare them.


Hah, thanks beerchug.gif. I'm really not as good at digging deep as some of the other members here but having a large basis for comparisons makes it seem like I know what I'm talking about wink.gif.

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

Great addition of the Westone W family ljokerl.  Your impressions fall right into place.  I agree the W3's aren't for everyone and they are tip and fit dependent (I prefer the Shure Olive's with both W2 & W3). The W2's were less finicky with tips.  They are undoubtedly my two favorite IEM's to date.  I agree that the W3's won't appeal to those who find joy in analyzing music or an IEM's presentation, but for pure enjoyment, they are hard to beat for me.  I use all of my IEM's for "fun" listening.  The W3's get my toes tapping, head banging or make me want to dance every time they're in my ears (sorry about the bad dancing visual - LOL).  The W2's were perfect for casual listening while reading or working, engaging enough but not overwhelming, a great all-arounder.  As always, thanks for your hard work.


Well, to be honest I prefer the W3 to the W2 by a pretty wide margin though of course I factor such things out of my reviews. The W3 is special and very unique - at least nothing I've heard out in IEM-land sounds quite like it. The W2 is like a warmer and more refined and spacious Ety MC5 with a much better fit and no cable noise. It's great for what it is but it doesn't do much for me in terms of pure enjoyment. 

post #1158 of 16802

Hey Joker

 

any plans on reviewing the re-262  ?

 

The 'great thread' part is skipped cause you know that all of us reading this thread think so wink_face.gif

post #1159 of 16802

A nice addition to your reviews :) All we need now is all the UE earphones and then some others and you should be good for a while :p I'll look forward to your RE262 whenever that comes out.

 

The W2 is one of my more favorite earphones that I've loaned with the next one probably being the CK100. I definitely like it more than the W3 and it indeed is a safe choice and it is somewhere in between an analytical CK10 or a fun earphone like a W3.

post #1160 of 16802
Thread Starter 


Quote:

Originally Posted by proedros View Post

Hey Joker

 

any plans on reviewing the re-262  ?

 

The 'great thread' part is skipped cause you know that all of us reading this thread think so wink_face.gif


Oh wow, yes - I forgot to add the RE262 (and the Brainwavz M3) to the already-daunting 'planned review' list on the front page. 

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

A nice addition to your reviews :) All we need now is all the UE earphones and then some others and you should be good for a while :p I'll look forward to your RE262 whenever that comes out.

 

The W2 is one of my more favorite earphones that I've loaned with the next one probably being the CK100. I definitely like it more than the W3 and it indeed is a safe choice and it is somewhere in between an analytical CK10 or a fun earphone like a W3.


By the time I finish up all of the UE reviews the next word in universals will probably be right around the corner... And yeah, I can see you (and many others) liking the W2 although it falls too far from both 'fun' and 'analytical' for me personally. 

post #1161 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


Originally Posted by JoeyRusso View Post

Great addition of the Westone W family ljokerl.  Your impressions fall right into place.  I agree the W3's aren't for everyone and they are tip and fit dependent (I prefer the Shure Olive's with both W2 & W3). The W2's were less finicky with tips.  They are undoubtedly my two favorite IEM's to date.  I agree that the W3's won't appeal to those who find joy in analyzing music or an IEM's presentation, but for pure enjoyment, they are hard to beat for me.  I use all of my IEM's for "fun" listening.  The W3's get my toes tapping, head banging or make me want to dance every time they're in my ears (sorry about the bad dancing visual - LOL).  The W2's were perfect for casual listening while reading or working, engaging enough but not overwhelming, a great all-arounder.  As always, thanks for your hard work.


Well, to be honest I prefer the W3 to the W2 by a pretty wide margin though of course I factor such things out of my reviews. The W3 is special and very unique - at least nothing I've heard out in IEM-land sounds quite like it. The W2 is like a warmer and more refined and spacious Ety MC5 with a much better fit and no cable noise. It's great for what it is but it doesn't do much for me in terms of pure enjoyment. 


And that my friend is why I still have and will keep my W3's.  The W2's have moved on to another set of ears as an intro to the Westone sound.. 

post #1162 of 16802

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

A nice addition to your reviews :) All we need now is all the UE earphones and then some others and you should be good for a while :p I'll look forward to your RE262 whenever that comes out.

 

The W2 is one of my more favorite earphones that I've loaned with the next one probably being the CK100. I definitely like it more than the W3 and it indeed is a safe choice and it is somewhere in between an analytical CK10 or a fun earphone like a W3.



Rawrster, how would you compare the W2 and the RE262?

 

 

ljokerl, what would you say about the W2 bass impact vs the e-Q7?


Edited by EraserXIV - 11/15/10 at 3:22pm
post #1163 of 16802

ljokerl, thanks for the additional reviews on the Westone family. with the right eartips, they should fit next to anyone right? could it be possible for a person to have ears that prevent the housing from...fitting

post #1164 of 16802

I guess if they have small ears I could see the W3 not fitting too well.

 

I was asked between the RE262 and W2 recently and briefly mentioned some differences between the two over here.  In terms of impact of W2 and e-Q7 they are fairly similar with the W2 probably providing a hair more but hard to compare without A/B. I will say that the e-Q7 has much better body, texture, and detail in the bass and is one of the best bass quality I have heard in an earphone.

post #1165 of 16802

Nice W

post #1166 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I guess if they have small ears I could see the W3 not fitting too well.

 

I was asked between the RE262 and W2 recently and briefly mentioned some differences between the two over here.  In terms of impact of W2 and e-Q7 they are fairly similar with the W2 probably providing a hair more but hard to compare without A/B. I will say that the e-Q7 has much better body, texture, and detail in the bass and is one of the best bass quality I have heard in an earphone.


 

Hm interesting, thanks! How about RE262 and e-Q7 bass?

post #1167 of 16802

Wow so many planned reviews.  I have to say that is impressive.

 

I was just wondering if you also planned on reviewing the nuforce ne-700X?  It's unreleased, but I thought maybe its something worth looking at in the future.

post #1168 of 16802

I can't answer between the RE262 and e-Q7 especially when they are not there for A/B and both being very good earphones. I think ClieOS would be the person to ask since he has both. I have the feeling the e-Q7 still has better texture however but no chance at A/B.

post #1169 of 16802

Great reviews of the westones joker, you captured what I thought about them as well as being a  really enjoyable read.

 

post #1170 of 16802

Great review joker.

Regarding the W1, I'm guessing it's closest competitor in terms of sound, price, and design is the PFE? And I'm assuming, based on your chart, that the PFE pretty much beats it hands down as a total package?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)