or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 72

post #1066 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex View Post

If head-f blogs are still available, then:

 

1) You may use 1st post as table of contents (with summary, conclusions, etc.) pointing to the blog records, individual for for each IEM.

2) There in the blog comments people may discuss specific model.

 

I think blogs are implemented under the wiki feature in the new forums. There was a big discussion on it after the Huddler switch though I don't remember exactly how it ended. I'll look into it, though I might as well move the thread off-site if I have to separate out the individual reviews ><.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DervishD View Post

Hyperclear, ljokerl smily_headphones1.gif

 

As always, the best and more comprehensive list of IEMs ever! Thanks smily_headphones1.gif


Great 

post #1067 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 I might as well move the thread off-site if I have to separate out the individual reviews ><.

 

Why do you have to move it off-site? Just because someone suggested something that is different to the way it is doesn't mean you have to change it. I'd like to see it stay on-sight rather than disappearing to some obscure dedicated website, here it's part of everything, anywhere else and it would just be a special kid sitting in the corner alone.

post #1068 of 16803

I know you've got a lot on your plate, but do you have an plans to review the Sunrise SW-Xcape?

post #1069 of 16803

Thanks for the comparison!

I bought the Brainwavz M1 a few months ago and I am enjoying them ever since.

Because I also like cans sometimes I bought the AKG81DJ because they came out pretty good in your other thread.

Unfortunately I do not like them that much, they are out of control with the bass, although with equalizer settings for jazz, they do sound pretty good.

Now I am looking for an upgrade IEM. I use a Sansa clip+ and like straight-down, not too bass heavy and balanced earphones.

I mostly listen to Folk and Rock. I like the way the voices sound with the Brainwavs M1, very clear and natural. I do not like in my face drums.

The AKG81DJ does make guitars sound as they should but the drums seems to take over.

I read through the entire sum-up, but it is hard to find a sound-signature comparison. Does someone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

post #1070 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

I know you've got a lot on your plate, but do you have an plans to review the Sunrise SW-Xcape?



He does, don't worry.  It's in the pipeline.

post #1071 of 16803

Thanks ljokerl for an excellent comparison guide between all the IEMs you have reviewed. Excellent stuff! smily_headphones1.gif

post #1072 of 16803

Just wondering but are there a lot of IEM's that fire sideways instead of directly out?

 

You can sort of see it in this pic...

 

MXL190240.jpg

 

The driver fires sideways at a slightly forward angle into the sidewall of the cavity with the nozzle on it.

 

I think it's pretty nifty... especially since they sound pretty darned good.

post #1073 of 16803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olimoronio View Post

Just wondering but are there a lot of IEM's that fire sideways instead of directly out?

 

You can sort of see it in this pic...

 

MXL190240.jpg

 

The driver fires sideways at a slightly forward angle into the sidewall of the cavity with the nozzle on it.

 

I think it's pretty nifty... especially since they sound pretty darned good.


Radius DDM, Sony's, many others.  Similar design to the CK10 but those are dual BAs.

post #1074 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Kid View Post

Why do you have to move it off-site? Just because someone suggested something that is different to the way it is doesn't mean you have to change it. I'd like to see it stay on-sight rather than disappearing to some obscure dedicated website, here it's part of everything, anywhere else and it would just be a special kid sitting in the corner alone.

 

It was just a hypothetical. I have neither the time, desire, nor technical know-how to move the entire thread off-site although I admit that it could be made far more user-friendly in its implementation with scripting wizardry. 
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

I know you've got a lot on your plate, but do you have an plans to review the Sunrise SW-Xcape?


Yes but I am still waiting on my pair so they are currently last on my to-do list by default.



Quote:

Originally Posted by s0lar View Post

Thanks for the comparison!

I bought the Brainwavz M1 a few months ago and I am enjoying them ever since.

Because I also like cans sometimes I bought the AKG81DJ because they came out pretty good in your other thread.

Unfortunately I do not like them that much, they are out of control with the bass, although with equalizer settings for jazz, they do sound pretty good.

Now I am looking for an upgrade IEM. I use a Sansa clip+ and like straight-down, not too bass heavy and balanced earphones.

I mostly listen to Folk and Rock. I like the way the voices sound with the Brainwavs M1, very clear and natural. I do not like in my face drums.

The AKG81DJ does make guitars sound as they should but the drums seems to take over.

I read through the entire sum-up, but it is hard to find a sound-signature comparison. Does someone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.


The M1 is a rather unique earphone in that it manages to retain pretty good overall balance and a decent soundstage despite having forward mids. What is it that you don't like about the M1 and would like to see improved? I can see someone who likes the M1 upgrading to the Senn IE7 (not at full retail price though), Radius DDM, KC3, and maybe some of the high-end triple-drivers but it really depends on what you're looking for and how much you're willing to spend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xfinity View Post

Thanks ljokerl for an excellent comparison guide between all the IEMs you have reviewed. Excellent stuff! smily_headphones1.gif

 

Glad it was useful 

 

Also, 6000th post 

post #1075 of 16803

x2 regarding the IE7 as an M1 upgrade. I find them very similar in terms of sound sig, except the M1s midrange may be a tiny bit thicker.

post #1076 of 16803

What I don't like about the M1's? Good question. It's been a new world opening up for me, I never knew my music could sound this good with IEM's.

I really like it that I can hear the singers breathing for example and the way it all sounds laid-back.

Maybe an IEM that even sounds more detailed without overwhelming me. I feel that the hitting of the acoustic guitar strings sounds just a little bit monotonous, so if that could be improved. I'm willing to spend up to 150 euro. Digging through your reviews points me to RE-0/Zero, perhaps DBA-02.

How about the Phonak PFE 121?

Thanks a lot! I will do some reading about the given advace.

post #1077 of 16803
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by s0lar View Post

What I don't like about the M1's? Good question. It's been a new world opening up for me, I never knew my music could sound this good with IEM's.

I really like it that I can hear the singers breathing for example and the way it all sounds laid-back.

Maybe an IEM that even sounds more detailed without overwhelming me. I feel that the hitting of the acoustic guitar strings sounds just a little bit monotonous, so if that could be improved. I'm willing to spend up to 150 euro. Digging through your reviews points me to RE-0/Zero, perhaps DBA-02.

How about the Phonak PFE 121?

Thanks a lot! I will do some reading about the given advace.


The problem is that you really don't know what level of detail you'll find overwhelming, if any. I've seen the term 'hyperdetailed' used and I suppose that if there is such a thing, the DBA-02 and PFE could both be qualified as such. The RE-ZERO is a little more delicate in the way it presents detail and I can't imagine anyone finding it fatiguing (this is true for the RE252 and RE262 as well). If you like the somewhat thick mids of the M1 perhaps the RE-ZERO will be a little thin (though so will the DBA-02 and maybe even the PFE with gray filters) but if you're willing to take a chance on that for the sake of extra detail, I'd say go for it because you really don't know with any great certainty which direction you want to move in from the M1 (since the M1 is your sole data point, so to speak). Truth be told, most higher-end earphones, dynamic and BA, will have at least slightly more detail than the M1 (meaning things like the IE7, DDM, MC5, etc) but I think going for something more analytical makes sense, if only for the sake of knowing what one of those sounds like.

post #1078 of 16803

Thanks!

I will probably go for the IE7, no one seems to dislike it, so it might be a safe bet.

I like the words ClieOS uses: warm, musical, smooth and a little laidback. Because I have no idea what other IEM's might sound like, describing things this way feels logical for me. Whether the forward mids are the reason I like them is not yet known, perhaps I can compare this later on. Also no idea about what level of details I might like/dislike. 

Reading through his reviews I found those things also when he described the Phonak PFE.

Looking for a review on the IE7 seems to return nothing but discussions, if someone could please provide me with an easy link, that would be appreciated. About the DDM I also read things like sweet, warm, forward mids and smooth treble.

I can also say that when listening to Bob Dylan with AKG81DJ I get dizzy, but it sounds just as harsch and shreeking as it should sound with the M1's.

post #1079 of 16803

There really aren't that many reviews on the IE7. There was a long appreciation thread somewhere but not much reviews on the IE7. I personally feel that they have been overlooked (although not as much as the IE6) by the IE8. Although I do blame Sennheiser partly for that since they released all three models around the same time iirc.

 

I do like the way the IE7 sounds but it probably isn't for me. Warm, smooth, laid back and musical is probably what I would describe them as although I haven't had that much time on them but will put some more time into them over the next couple of days. It's hard when you have better alternatives however smily_headphones1.gif

post #1080 of 16803

I don't think the IE7s have been given a  proper review yet, but they are on Joker's upcoming list so you can stay tuned for that. I personally think the IE7 is a nice safe bet as long as you pay <100$.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)