or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106) - Page 706

post #10576 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman1 View Post

My walkman and MEE A161s have disappeared. I now have a new Clip Zip with backup Koss in-ear phones and need to get a new primary pair. I've been away for awhile - has anything come along that can compete with or beat the A161 for under around $100 in terms of overall quality (sound quality, isolation, and build quality)? I listen to rock so something with a bit more punch would be nice, but I love the isolation and customer service of MEE. Any advice is appreciated.

I haven't heard the MEE A161 nor the Etymotics HF sereis but I do belive that they are more or less the same just better made, with more isolation and sound a bit better (according to what I have read). I'm very interested in those etys so I know that they can be had for less than 100 bucks on amazon, the cobalt version with mic for android and windows phone I believe.

post #10577 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by higbvuyb View Post

 

As always, nice review!

 

Have you tried these with the +10dB or so of bass equalized out ( Joe's example is similar to what I do)? That gives me a completely different sound and I'm interested in your opinion.



FrequencyBlue is correct - introducing the EQ as another variable would add more complexity to reviews than I wish to have at this time.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post

thanks for the  mh1c review. was waiting for it

 

how do you find those new hybrid tips?

 

 

They are really good. Funny because the other storied OEM phone headset I have here (LG Quadbeat) has absolutely atrocious stock tips.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman1 View Post

My walkman and MEE A161s have disappeared. I now have a new Clip Zip with backup Koss in-ear phones and need to get a new primary pair. I've been away for awhile - has anything come along that can compete with or beat the A161 for under around $100 in terms of overall quality (sound quality, isolation, and build quality)? I listen to rock so something with a bit more punch would be nice, but I love the isolation and customer service of MEE. Any advice is appreciated.

 

Ouch. Well, the A161P does have a good combination of above-average quantity bass (for a single armature) and high isolation, and is still one of the better sub-$100 sets I've heard. The Philips Fidelio S1 is a good one with a bit more impact but you lose a chunk of the isolation of the A161. The JVC FXD80 also offers good clarity with more bass compared to the A161 but is not as accurate as the A161 or the S1 for that matter. Good build quality and isolation, though. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinquito View Post

I haven't heard the MEE A161 nor the Etymotics HF sereis but I do belive that they are more or less the same just better made, with more isolation and sound a bit better (according to what I have read). I'm very interested in those etys so I know that they can be had for less than 100 bucks on amazon, the cobalt version with mic for android and windows phone I believe.

 

The MEEs actually have a few db more bass while the Etys are flatter in the treble but generally they are pretty similar. I wouldn't think twice about paying $100 for an HF2 if I wanted a balanced-sounding earphone. 

post #10578 of 16802
hello joker

can you tell me which one I must buy and which one has more value?sony mh1c or phillips fidellio s1?(also what score you give to s1for sound and value)my current headphone is sennheizer cx350.also do both of them can be used with normal mp3s(like cowon e2)not smartphonts?

thanks:)

navid
Edited by nNAVID - 6/12/13 at 2:44am
post #10579 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Hmm... I didn't get any harshness from the EPH-100 either. It wasn't a smooth as the Tandem (for example) but it wasn't really harsh. I think you should try the R02 Silver and see what you think, then go from there. Might not have enough subbass if the Tandem didn't. I haven't heard the ProAlpha in a while (though I still have my M1 and M2) so the R02 Silver might be a better starting point for an upgrade.

 

Eventually, I've got them. The R02 Silver is indeed more refined than the ProAlpha, but for me its mids, especially upper-mids, are too exposed, even strident and harsh (in some tracks).
The ProAlpha has open, soft and warm background for smooth vocals and highs - that's what fun is about (correct me if I'm wrong).
Whereas in the R02 Sliver all is shifted and exposed into mids. I miss balance, warmth (mid-bass) and musicality in the R02.
So, I'd like something warmer and more balanced across all the frequency than the GR02 Silver (which have too strong vocals and mid-centric sound). The only thing which is quite accurate in the GR02 Silver is the clarity.
Well, what's now, what should I try?

post #10580 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post



Ouch. Well, the A161P does have a good combination of above-average quantity bass (for a single armature) and high isolation, and is still one of the better sub-$100 sets I've heard. The Philips Fidelio S1 is a good one with a bit more impact but you lose a chunk of the isolation of the A161. The JVC FXD80 also offers good clarity with more bass compared to the A161 but is not as accurate as the A161 or the S1 for that matter. Good build quality and isolation, though. 

 

 

The MEEs actually have a few db more bass while the Etys are flatter in the treble but generally they are pretty similar. I wouldn't think twice about paying $100 for an HF2 if I wanted a balanced-sounding earphone. 

 

Thanks! I checked out the Philips - I have a Sony pair with a similar design and yeah although they sound good the isolation isn't enough for my use (commuting on subway). Those JVCs look interesting but I have a feeling I'm going to end up just getting another set of A161s.

post #10581 of 16802

Hi Sir joker, is it safe to say that VSD1 is better than MH1C?

post #10582 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nNAVID View Post

hello joker

can you tell me which one I must buy and which one has more value?sony mh1c or phillips fidellio s1?(also what score you give to s1for sound and value)my current headphone is sennheizer cx350.also do both of them can be used with normal mp3s(like cowon e2)not smartphonts?

thanks:)

navid

 

I know I answered this off-site but in case anyone else is curious - the Philips S1 is quite well-balanced in terms of frequency response and is more accurate and true to source than the MH1C. It has a very small bass boost but if you want a warmer, bassier sound like that of your Sennheisers I would definitely go for the MH1C. The S1 is a great headset for accurate sound. The MH1C is great for warm and smooth sound. Both offer great value in their respective price categories.

Not sure about the E2 specifically but the J3 and D2/D2+ Cowon models are definitely compatible with headset connectors. I am sure someone has tried a TRRS (headset) plug with the E2, maybe on ABI forum.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justblue View Post

 

Eventually, I've got them. The R02 Silver is indeed more refined than the ProAlpha, but for me its mids, especially upper-mids, are too exposed, even strident and harsh (in some tracks).
The ProAlpha has open, soft and warm background for smooth vocals and highs - that's what fun is about (correct me if I'm wrong).
Whereas in the R02 Sliver all is shifted and exposed into mids. I miss balance, warmth (mid-bass) and musicality in the R02.
So, I'd like something warmer and more balanced across all the frequency than the GR02 Silver (which have too strong vocals and mid-centric sound). The only thing which is quite accurate in the GR02 Silver is the clarity.
Well, what's now, what should I try?

 

Yes, the Silver is not too similar to the old R02/ProAlpha. Hmm... I really don't know of anything that sounds exactly like the ProAlpha but on a higher tier in sound quality. I take it you've tried the MH1C?

Maybe the Dunu Landmine but again you have bass on-level with the M2 and not the ProAlpha. Ditto for the Monster Turbine series (except maybe the Pro Gold). I don't think I have an answer for this one out of what I've tried. The Shure SE215 might be the closest to having tight but emphasized bass with low bleed, a (slightly) warm tone, and smooth treble. It's not quite as warm or as thick-sounding as the R02, but not far behind. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman1 View Post

 

Thanks! I checked out the Philips - I have a Sony pair with a similar design and yeah although they sound good the isolation isn't enough for my use (commuting on subway). Those JVCs look interesting but I have a feeling I'm going to end up just getting another set of A161s.

 

Nothing wrong with that tongue.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhii07 View Post

Hi Sir joker, is it safe to say that VSD1 is better than MH1C?


If you want warm and smooth sound, the VSonic won't beat the MH1C. If you want something overall more neutral or slightly v-shaped (like the GR07), then the VSD1 is the one to get. I think the VSonic is better overall but again preference towards a warm and smooth sound can easily swing it the other way. 

post #10583 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Yes, the Silver is not too similar to the old R02/ProAlpha. Hmm... I really don't know of anything that sounds exactly like the ProAlpha but on a higher tier in sound quality. I take it you've tried the MH1C?


Maybe the Dunu Landmine but again you have bass on-level with the M2 and not the ProAlpha. Ditto for the Monster Turbine series (except maybe the Pro Gold). I don't think I have an answer for this one out of what I've tried. The Shure SE215 might be the closest to having tight but emphasized bass with low bleed, a (slightly) warm tone, and smooth treble. It's not quite as warm or as thick-sounding as the R02, but not far behind. 

 

 

I'm baffled, 248 IMEs and non of them upgrades the ProAlpha...
If only the MH1C would has a normal cable believe me I would have it. In terms of sound I find it though a tad more analitycal and technical than the ProAlpha, but it is still sweet and warm rank. I was impressed by the MH1C but at the same time through the cable and problems with seal I was sick of them.
I'm enquiring guys on the Zero Audio Basso in another thread. Hope it will fit the bill. There must be something out there.

Edited by justblue - 6/13/13 at 12:47am
post #10584 of 16802

hey joker,

could you compare the bass quality and quantity of VSD1, GR02 Bass and MH1C? and which one has most forward mids ?


Edited by PakoBoy - 6/13/13 at 7:55am
post #10585 of 16802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

If you want warm and smooth sound, the VSonic won't beat the MH1C. If you want something overall more neutral or slightly v-shaped (like the GR07), then the VSD1 is the one to get. I think the VSonic is better overall but again preference towards a warm and smooth sound can easily swing it the other way. 

Very interested in this comment. How does the VC02 sit in this comparison? I'm currently on the fence of the VC02 and VSD1, because my old GR07's broke (left channel dead). So to get something closer to my old GR07's I should go for the VSD1's or VC02's? I would like to have the same amount of bass and treble, but perhaps a more accurate midrange than the GR07's.

post #10586 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by justblue View Post

 

I'm baffled, 248 IMEs and non of them upgrades the ProAlpha...
If only the MH1C would has a normal cable believe me I would have it. In terms of sound I find it though a tad more analitycal and technical than the ProAlpha, but it is still sweet and warm rank. I was impressed by the MH1C but at the same time through the cable and problems with seal I was sick of them.
I'm enquiring guys on the Zero Audio Basso in another thread. Hope it will fit the bill. There must be something out there.

 

It's not that, it's just that your rather specific requirements eliminate almost all of the possibilities I can think of.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakoBoy View Post

hey joker,

could you compare the bass quality and quantity of VSD1, GR02 Bass and MH1C? and which one has most forward mids ?

 

 

Bass quantity: MH1C > VSD1 > VC02

Bass quality: VC02 > VSD1 >= MH1C

 

The VC02 has the best balance (least recessed mids), mostly because it has very little bass enhancement. The VSD1 is second, achieving a pretty good balance (IMO) with the mids not overly recessed. The MH1C has the most recessed mids and treble relative to the low end. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzini View Post

Very interested in this comment. How does the VC02 sit in this comparison? I'm currently on the fence of the VC02 and VSD1, because my old GR07's broke (left channel dead). So to get something closer to my old GR07's I should go for the VSD1's or VC02's? I would like to have the same amount of bass and treble, but perhaps a more accurate midrange than the GR07's.


The VC02 is brighter and thinner-sounding than the VSD1. The VSD1 has more bass and a fuller sound. If you want to get closer to the GR07, get the VSD1, but don't expect to have an upgrade to the GR07 at $43. 

post #10587 of 16802

Hey joker, I tried those AKG K3003 and Ultrasone IQ. What you said is true. The difference between going from $100 IEM to $300 IEM is slightly bigger than going from $300 - $1000 IEM.

 

Ultrasone IQ has good bass. More or less equal to FX700. IQ's treble is a bit weird though. It's extended, but it seems like it need a buff in the 4KHz region. But that can create sibilance. This might be the reason why it's tone down around that frequency. Mids are good, not much to complain. Putting those in my ear is a bit weird. Once is in my ear, then it's all good.

 

K3003 has better treble for sure. But it has less bass on reference filter. Even with bass filter, it might match IQ's bass or slightly fall short. Can't remember. Slightly V shaped I believe.

The soundstage is pretty big.

 

At the end of the day, I don't see it's worth spending that much. Why? Because I can't really tell the difference. I can't speak for other people.

 

I EQ'ed the sound signature of both IQ and K3003 similar to FX700. Ultimately, I think that's the most fair comparison. There shouldn't be distortion because I only EQ'ed like around 3dB. At least I can't hear the distortion. The sound quality is more or less the same. Perhaps ok, Perhaps, K3003 is slightly better in the treble region. But this is not confirmed. I kind of have the feeling. I didn't swap the IEMs back and forth comparing because I feel kind of guilty. The store owner was nice enough to let me try them out.

 

So that's my conclusion. James444 said FX700 do pretty much 90-95% of K3003 with a little EQ. And you said, if I'm 90% happy with FX700's sound signature, it's really unjustified to buy the K3003.

 

It was an exciting and disappointing day. I was excited to hear IQ and K3003. But I'm disappointed that I can't really tell the difference of sound quality between $300 and $1000 IEM. Nevertheless, I was expecting this (you told me) and I got the feeling after I bought PFE 232.

 

Well, my wallet is safe at least!

 

So I'm curious. Is this normal for a person not being able to hear the difference between FX700 and AKG K3003 or Ultrasone IQ? Without EQ, it seems like it's all about the presentation. If you EQ the IEMs to a similar sound signature and then compare the sound quality, well, as least in my ears, I can't tell the difference. 

 

By the way, I only tried them for about 20min. Also, I'm using an ipod touch 5th gen with 320 aac music files without amp.

post #10588 of 16802
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini0510 View Post

Hey joker, I tried those AKG K3003 and Ultrasone IQ. What you said is true. The difference between going from $100 IEM to $300 IEM is slightly bigger than going from $300 - $1000 IEM.

 

Ultrasone IQ has good bass. More or less equal to FX700. IQ's treble is a bit weird though. It's extended, but it seems like it need a buff in the 4KHz region. But that can create sibilance. This might be the reason why it's tone down around that frequency. Mids are good, not much to complain. Putting those in my ear is a bit weird. Once is in my ear, then it's all good.

 

K3003 has better treble for sure. But it has less bass on reference filter. Even with bass filter, it might match IQ's bass or slightly fall short. Can't remember. Slightly V shaped I believe.

The soundstage is pretty big.

 

At the end of the day, I don't see it's worth spending that much. Why? Because I can't really tell the difference. I can't speak for other people.

 

I EQ'ed the sound signature of both IQ and K3003 similar to FX700. Ultimately, I think that's the most fair comparison. There shouldn't be distortion because I only EQ'ed like around 3dB. At least I can't hear the distortion. The sound quality is more or less the same. Perhaps ok, Perhaps, K3003 is slightly better in the treble region. But this is not confirmed. I kind of have the feeling. I didn't swap the IEMs back and forth comparing because I feel kind of guilty. The store owner was nice enough to let me try them out.

 

So that's my conclusion. James444 said FX700 do pretty much 90-95% of K3003 with a little EQ. And you said, if I'm 90% happy with FX700's sound signature, it's really unjustified to buy the K3003.

 

It was an exciting and disappointing day. I was excited to hear IQ and K3003. But I'm disappointed that I can't really tell the difference of sound quality between $300 and $1000 IEM. Nevertheless, I was expecting this (you told me) and I got the feeling after I bought PFE 232.

 

Well, my wallet is safe at least!

 

So I'm curious. Is this normal for a person not being able to hear the difference between FX700 and AKG K3003 or Ultrasone IQ? Without EQ, it seems like it's all about the presentation. If you EQ the IEMs to a similar sound signature and then compare the sound quality, well, as least in my ears, I can't tell the difference. 

 

By the way, I only tried them for about 20min. Also, I'm using an ipod touch 5th gen with 320 aac music files without amp.


That sounds about right, especially considering the signature of the FX700 works well for you. Saying there's a 10% difference between the K3003 and a good sub-$500 universal is probably generous.

post #10589 of 16802

Hi Joker, 

First time poster in your thread and I just wanted to say a huge thanks for this thread. It's because of your thread that I've made all my IEM purchases in the past.

I'm now stuck though. I currently own the GR07, and I like it a lot, but I am in need of an upgrade. I like the slightly elevated sub bass and intimate female vocals and such, but I don't like the few odd dips and spikes in the treble, and the isolation is a bit lacking IMO.

What would you recommend for an upgrade from the GR07 that would be better at isolation and smoother in the treble at or below $400? Possibly the UM3X?

Thank you.

post #10590 of 16802

Philips Fidelio vs A161P

which one is better for person who listens to a wide range of musics?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 352 IEMs compared (Pump Audio Earphones added 04/03/16 p. 1106)