Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021) - Page 630

post #9436 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by psion84 View Post


I think i have a fellow Msian buddy here. smily_headphones1.gif i may have just audited the exact same compact stage 3 universal as u. hehe. we had a mini meet at Kuching with Yu Heng of Jaben back in early Jan. that was where i got the chance to audit the compact,JHs and the fitear. i agree that the fitear is a beast but different from the compact. i liked both, but preferred the compact.smily_headphones1.gif i also had the chance to try out the miracles for a week. i have to agree that the bass was amazing, textured and layered. however i found the mids to be a little forward for my liking and sounds analytical overall,i prefer a more musical SS iem like the compact. but mind you it was a universal demo set, so the custom mold might vary from the universal version. wow, congratz on ur stage 3 buddy. im still miles away to owning one. hopefully by this year end i would be able to afford that cheeky compact. biggrin.gif


Sorry for my wallet? I may not even need the use for a wallet after i purchase the compact. will be too broke then. haha

Wow, nice hearing u here! Yes, indeed Yuheng has only one Stage 3 demo. You have very very similar listening preference like I do probably. But I did not have very good impressions with the Miracle, I feel the same like u do, the Miracle is amazingly good I think, but like what you have said, it has more forward mid and it is more analytic type, but really not sure if my audition was reliable at all. I really wish I have a chance to test it out again, but I do not want to trouble Calmshot to meet up again with the proper rubber tips. He is a very friendly person btw!

Take your time bro, it took me many years to get to this stage too, and I really want to make a move to settle with a top end CIEM. I'm very confident CM Stage 3 will serve me very long time without ever needing to upgrade anymore.
post #9437 of 15308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by canikickit1 View Post

Would you deem the gr01 or er4p an upgrade from hf5s? I currently have a CMoyBB amp and the hf5 set up is pretty good. I was looking to see if any iem would be considered an upgrade. I tried the gr07 but didn't like the sound leakage and the over the ear application .

Any upgrades you would suggest to the hf5 in terms of non-leakage and wire down use? $250 max. Any different sound sig is appreciated.

AWESOME reviews btw.

 

If you're looking for a different sound signature you probably shouldn't be looking at the ER4 at all. The GR01 is a little different and may be considered an upgrade if you'd give up some of the transparency of the HF5/ER4 sound for a slightly fuller sound and better deep bass presence.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehcrow View Post

Hey joker! 
Wondering if you've heard the XBA-3 yet and how would you compare them to the XBA-4?

 

Yes, I have one here. I tried it and wasn't really impressed (much the same story as with the XBA-4) so back on the shelf it went. It wasn't as bassy as the XBA-4 but otherwise has pretty similar characteristics and some of the same issues. If I ever have a chunk of spare time I'll come back to it. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompersona View Post

I smell a VC02 review coming out soon biggrin.gif

 

Yes. Received it, tried it, liked it, put it back on the shelf due to lack of time and haven't had a chance to get back to it yet redface.gif. I'll definitely get to it in a week or two. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlofsoup View Post

This is a pretty general question, but of these iems, which would work best for someone who listens to a lot of metal? I don't really have a preferred sound, but I do like the way my brainwavz HM3's sound.

Gr06
Am90
Brainwavz M2
Anything you would recommend under $100

 

The AM90 may not have enough bass and the M2 might have too much. I'd go for the GR06 out of those but you can also get a better BA earphone than the AM-90 in that price range - the Rock-It Sounds R-30, for example, or even the MEElec A161P. Personally, I'd take one of the more accurate BAs for rock and metal, or a dynamic-driver set that's a little more v-shaped than the GR06. The Ultimate Ears 500 comes to mind as a "safe" choice that's been popping up pretty cheap lately.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlee View Post

@joker vsonic gro2 be vs brainwavs m5 vs klipsch s4 i mostly listen to rap and want build quality

 

I'd go for the GR02. Have had a few earphones with that housing and they've all been very reliable, and the sound is arguably the best of the bunch. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

So as to not clog up the forums, does anyone know of a direct upgrade to the RE-ZERO in terms of sound signature? I returned the RE-262 I got recently due to not enough isolation, so now I have funds to upgrade (I tip-rolled like crazy and cannot get enough isolation without compromising the mids). Here's what I'm looking at and what I'm worried about for each:

 

  • TDK BA200 - flat cables are annoying, and the shape looks like the RE-262, so I'm afraid for bad isolation/fit 
  • GR07 - I heard these isolate less than the BA200, but seems to be the sound I'm looking for
  • Brainwavz B2 - so-so build quality
  • Rockit Sounds R-50 - so-so build quality and memory/hard wire (I hate it)
  • Astrotec AX-7 - seems to be the best build quality of the bunch, but not enough reviews to become informed

 

I am looking for an RE-ZERO with slightly more subbass and wider soundstage (everything else seems perfect) - mainly at the GR07 and BA200. Yet, if the R-50 is closer to my ideal sound sig and its build quality not as bad as I make it out to be, then I'll get it. If neither of these are "upgrades," then I'll just stick to my RE-ZERO since I love it to death.

 

Thanks in advance

 

EDIT: I liked the RE-ZERO's sound sig much more than the RE-262.

 

I would stick with the RE-ZERO. I don't think any of the ones I've heard are exactly what you are looking for with no additional drawbacks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtryau89 View Post

Joker,

I have a quick question about the UE900 and the GR07s. I read your comments about them. I have the GR07 BEs. I like them alot and they are fun with most but I find they seem to collapse and don't really give the best separation and detail when listening to complex music. I have been listening to Holst Planets recently as my preferred test. I also ordered some TDK BA200s. These seem to do a better job with the issues I am having with the GR07 keeping the soundstage outside of my head during more complex passages. Even so, I have a brand new pair that is giving me shorting issues in an earpiece. They also aren't built to the overall quality of the GR07s. Finally we enter the UE900s. I have an opportunity to grab some of these at a great price (around $100 more than the GR07s). Will they do a better job than the GR07s at resolving detail and not "collapsing" as it were? Not sure if I am saying that right but during complex passages the GR07s just seem to lose any soundstage width and I feel as if I am listening to earphones instead of the music swimming around me. 

 

I think you like the UE900s from all I have read. At what point in a price drop would you put them as the "bang for the buck" IEM?

 

I haven't heard the BA200. The UE900 has a very good presentation, with noticeably better depth and layering compared to the GR07. I think it's the lack of depth that you have an issue with with the GR07. There's not really a price point I can name - for those who don't mind it's minor foibles, the UE900 is definitely worth the price as is. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

 

How does the sibilance of the GR07 (or MKII) compare to that of the RE-ZERO. I did not find the ZERO to be sibilant at all, so it's probably not my biggest concern. Also, it's weird how you said that the 400 is the GR07 done right, because the 400 is claimed to be "polite," while the GR07 is deemed "fun."

 

It's worse, on the MkI at least. I've never found any of the HiFiMan products sibilant but the GR07 bothers me on occasion, as do its little brothers, the GR06 and GR02 BE. 

post #9438 of 15308

Ok, to build on the question, I have a pair of FX40's that I think are all right for what I listen to. Is there anything you would think of as a direct upgrade with that sound? The reason the GR06 were so high up on the list is because of the number of tips it comes with. I also hear that they're great for people that like listening to drummers. I have a horrible time getting a fit with even the most basic straight barrels. I guess I should start saving for a pair of customs. Thanks for the help, as always.


Edited by bowlofsoup - 1/30/13 at 2:32pm
post #9439 of 15308

Hey Joker,

 

Just got the new Earsonic SM64.  It is a brilliant sounding phone bordering on analytical but retaining some of the best features of the SM3.  The mids/bass are awesome, as is the fit/build.  The treble is detailed, bright but smooth.  Amazing soundstage....Hmmm.  This could be the total package.  Will report back after a week of listening.
 

post #9440 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by precsmo View Post


Wow, nice hearing u here! Yes, indeed Yuheng has only one Stage 3 demo. You have very very similar listening preference like I do probably. But I did not have very good impressions with the Miracle, I feel the same like u do, the Miracle is amazingly good I think, but like what you have said, it has more forward mid and it is more analytic type, but really not sure if my audition was reliable at all. I really wish I have a chance to test it out again, but I do not want to trouble Calmshot to meet up again with the proper rubber tips. He is a very friendly person btw!

Take your time bro, it took me many years to get to this stage too, and I really want to make a move to settle with a top end CIEM. I'm very confident CM Stage 3 will serve me very long time without ever needing to upgrade anymore.


I guess we do have quite similar sound signature preference.haha. i kinda have a feeling y we didnt have good impressions on the miracle was because it was a universal. honestly the miracles in universal form just sounded cramped up in complex songs though they do separate but there is lack of distance between the separation. and the mids just sounded a bit disconnected from the rest of the spectrum making it unnaturally forward. i guess the customs will be so much better. and yea calmshot is awesome. :) i had the chance to audit his universal miracle for a week. at least i know we are on the same page that u and i tried the exact same iems. haha. will be looking forward to hearing ur impressions of the compact in custom form. maybe post it in the compact appreciation thread. haha. sorry guys for derailing this awesome thread by joker. back to topic then.

post #9441 of 15308

I've heard many good things about the BA-200, do you see yourself reviewing those anytime soon?

post #9442 of 15308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlofsoup View Post

Ok, to build on the question, I have a pair of FX40's that I think are all right for what I listen to. Is there anything you would think of as a direct upgrade with that sound? The reason the GR06 were so high up on the list is because of the number of tips it comes with. I also hear that they're great for people that like listening to drummers. I have a horrible time getting a fit with even the most basic straight barrels. I guess I should start saving for a pair of customs. Thanks for the help, as always.

 

If you can give up a bit of the bass impact, the FXD80 may be considered a more refined take on that signature - still a little thin and mid-recessed, but not as overbearing up top and just more balanced overall. It is straight-barrel, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasdoc View Post

Hey Joker,

 

Just got the new Earsonic SM64.  It is a brilliant sounding phone bordering on analytical but retaining some of the best features of the SM3.  The mids/bass are awesome, as is the fit/build.  The treble is detailed, bright but smooth.  Amazing soundstage....Hmmm.  This could be the total package.  Will report back after a week of listening.
 

 

Good to know. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try these at some point.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniping View Post

I've heard many good things about the BA-200, do you see yourself reviewing those anytime soon?


No plans to do so at this time. 

post #9443 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

If you can give up a bit of the bass impact, the FXD80 may be considered a more refined take on that signature - still a little thin and mid-recessed, but not as overbearing up top and just more balanced overall. It is straight-barrel, though.

 

 

Good to know. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try these at some point.

 


No plans to do so at this time. 

 

Thanks again. Anyone know a reliable place to order these up in the US? Amazon only has imports at the moment.

post #9444 of 15308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlofsoup View Post

 

Thanks again. Anyone know a reliable place to order these up in the US? Amazon only has imports at the moment.


As far as I know it's not a JVC US model. 

post #9445 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

So as to not clog up the forums, does anyone know of a direct upgrade to the RE-ZERO in terms of sound signature? I returned the RE-262 I got recently due to not enough isolation, so now I have funds to upgrade (I tip-rolled like crazy and cannot get enough isolation without compromising the mids). Here's what I'm looking at and what I'm worried about for each:

 

  • TDK BA200 - flat cables are annoying, and the shape looks like the RE-262, so I'm afraid for bad isolation/fit 
  • GR07 - I heard these isolate less than the BA200, but seems to be the sound I'm looking for
  • Brainwavz B2 - so-so build quality
  • Rockit Sounds R-50 - so-so build quality and memory/hard wire (I hate it)
  • Astrotec AX-7 - seems to be the best build quality of the bunch, but not enough reviews to become informed

 

I am looking for an RE-ZERO with slightly more subbass and wider soundstage (everything else seems perfect) - mainly at the GR07 and BA200. Yet, if the R-50 is closer to my ideal sound sig and its build quality not as bad as I make it out to be, then I'll get it. If neither of these are "upgrades," then I'll just stick to my RE-ZERO since I love it to death.

 

Thanks in advance

 

EDIT: I liked the RE-ZERO's sound sig much more than the RE-262.


Well, I'd say of these, B2 have very good build quality - though the cable is quite generic, it is reasonably sturdy yet flexible. Has a small tendency to unbraid. Plastic is better than it feels - I think it's ABS - it isn't stomp-proof I suppose like a metal shell.

However, it is not a real upgrade from RE-ZERO - more of a side grade. You get more V-shape (midbass and treble boost), more even (smooth) frequency response and less extension (16kHz only), far less reverberation, somewhat less bass impact. Sounds harsher in general, despite smooth frequency response.

A non-existent improved Etymotic HF5 descendant would be the actual upgrade. Or maybe upcoming Hifiman RE-600.

 

GR07 aren't an upgrade over RE-ZERO either. In my opinion they're way less refined, though reasonably balanced as well, more even than RE-ZERO. These have boosted bass (not a lot), but hit less hard. Mids are way lower fidelity with these. I wouldn't even consider them. Much less reverberation in these of course. Extension upwards is a bit lesser too, bottom is comparable.

 

Perhaps TDK IE800? I haven't heard it myself yet. Raw sound signature measurement looks similar to RE-ZERO's, a bit brighter at the highest end, more even with slight subbass boost.


Edited by AstralStorm - 1/31/13 at 4:32am
post #9446 of 15308

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Seems like I won't be upgrading as soon as I imagined, which is always a pity tongue_smile.gif. Hopefully more people get the AX-7 so I can see how it sounds like. If not, will probably get the BA200 or R-50 for an up/sidegrade.

 

I tried the HF3 (similar to HF5?) but didn't like it. The dry mids and small soundstage didn't appeal to me, but I can see it being similar to the RE-ZERO. 


Edited by ktan3142 - 1/31/13 at 4:55am
post #9447 of 15308
ktan3142 I have the HF3 and have a pair of TDK IE800 coming in either today or tomorrow. I am a mid/treble lover who is also wanting a headphone with good sub bass and good sound stage. If the IE800 accomplish this I will post something here for you to read.
post #9448 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaver View Post

ktan3142 I have the HF3 and have a pair of TDK IE800 coming in either today or tomorrow. I am a mid/treble lover who is also wanting a headphone with good sub bass and good sound stage. If the IE800 accomplish this I will post something here for you to read.

 

Thanks for suggesting the TDK IE800. I've just looked into it and it looks promising already (aside from the flat cable that is). I'm definitely looking forward for your review.

 

EDIT: I went through the TDK IE800 "appreciation thread," and wow, I'm definitely hyped for all the impressions.


Edited by ktan3142 - 1/31/13 at 3:44pm
post #9449 of 15308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Seems like I won't be upgrading as soon as I imagined, which is always a pity tongue_smile.gif. Hopefully more people get the AX-7 so I can see how it sounds like. If not, will probably get the BA200 or R-50 for an up/sidegrade.

 

I tried the HF3 (similar to HF5?) but didn't like it. The dry mids and small soundstage didn't appeal to me, but I can see it being similar to the RE-ZERO. 


I should get my hands on the AX-7 in a few weeks but I don't expect it to have a performance advantage over the TWFK-based earphones currently on the market. Hoping its build makes it a better overall value, though. 

post #9450 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktan3142 View Post

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Seems like I won't be upgrading as soon as I imagined, which is always a pity tongue_smile.gif. Hopefully more people get the AX-7 so I can see how it sounds like. If not, will probably get the BA200 or R-50 for an up/sidegrade.

 

I tried the HF3 (similar to HF5?) but didn't like it. The dry mids and small soundstage didn't appeal to me, but I can see it being similar to the RE-ZERO. 

OK, I have my IE800 and have let them burn-in for about 20hrs so feel like I can make a post about them for you. I will have to say that out of the box I wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be and I have done a significant amount of tip rolling to see if I can find I tip I like (right now I am actually using the large single flange tip that came with my JVC FXZ100 (which I hated on that IEM) and am getting the best sound out of these so far. These are a deeper insertion IEM but not an uncomfortable one. I do think the burn in has helped these improve and will continue to let them burn in for a another day/evening or two.

 

Currently I would say these are more of a midrange lover IEM than my desired Mid/treble oriented signature. They do have more bass than HF3 (but possibly not as visceral), they also are not as dry in the mids and they definitely have a larger sound stage. The treble is not poor though, just not as sharp and sparkly as I like. In fact I may a bit of your opposite in that I like the dryer mids of the HF3 so find the IE800 a bit lacking in that area for my tastes. In my case what I want is my SRH-940 or SRH-1440 in an IEM form and the IE800 isn't quite that IEM. But it may be a very good choice for you.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)