Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021) - Page 205

post #3061 of 15308

Really enjoying the sound on my new RE262s, but what the hell is with the short cables ? Wear them over-the-ear and you feel like you have a chinstrap with the Y-cable sitting so high - I get annoyed with the ludicrously long cables on phones like the AD900, but they suddenly make sense next to the RE262's crazy short cabling. HiFiMan need to spend less on the 'display case' and more on the cabling ;)

 

From a sonic POV, I can relate to impressions from Joker and others - its not hard to see why this earphone wouldnt make the purists happy. Whatever - the 262s like to party and so do I !

post #3062 of 15308

Hmm the cable length was fine in my experience, but you seem to be using the newer batch (mine was the pre-production batch). Perhaps there's a difference there, so it's short even with the extension plugs they provide? 

post #3063 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

I think it sounds too dark and a bit sluggish on the clip+. 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post

Need is a strong word.  They do like volume and gain for sure to sound best.  I do prefer a good amp to get the most out of them.  I just like having my detail and articulation well represented.  E11 should be fine. I am NOT a fan of Monster Pros or MDs from the Clip+.  Though some might prefer the more thin and lean signature w/ the Clip+ and their Monsters, who knows.

 


Are there any chances of Coppers hissing when connected to an amp in general? as they are very low impedance.

 

Thanks again for the replies.

 

 

post #3064 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post




Quote:


Are there any chances of Coppers hissing when connected to an amp in general? as they are very low impedance.

 

Thanks again for the replies.

 

 

No, if you're using a good and proper amp, they should not hiss. In fact, even before amplification, the primary purpose of an amp is to clean up the signal. That means it should clean up background hiss or bass rolloff with low impedance IEMs, fix the lack of volume or dynamics with overly high impedance IEMs, et cetera. Only after that comes the amplification. Now, whether your phones actually benefit to any degree from amplification is a different matter, not all do. But by all accounts the MTPC are among the IEMs that do benefit.


Edited by JxK - 5/24/11 at 12:58am
post #3065 of 15308

x2, JxK is spot on. 

post #3066 of 15308

all i have is a 100 $ budget for the portable amp guys redface.gif i dunno if these low budget ones can do all that.

post #3067 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay2070 View Post

all i have is a 100 $ budget for the portable amp guys redface.gif i dunno if these low budget ones can do all that.


You need to raise your question, as specifically as possible, in one of the Fiio E11 threads. I may not be buying into all the hype around this $60 amp, but its hard to ignore that price and I have been very happy with my E9. Just be very clear on what your expectations are - you might be better served by saving a few more dollars - either way, I havent heard the E11 (or the E7)

 

post #3068 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post

Hmm the cable length was fine in my experience, but you seem to be using the newer batch (mine was the pre-production batch). Perhaps there's a difference there, so it's short even with the extension plugs they provide? 


Yep - embarrassment at my end - I didnt realise that I needed to chain two of the adapters together to get a decent cable length. Still dont entirely get the 'balanced' thing, as all my sources/amps are single-ended, but I know that one of the adapters gives me sound in a single channel only, so I assume that was meant for a balanced source/amp ?

 

post #3069 of 15308
Quote:
Originally Posted by estreeter View Post




Yep - embarrassment at my end - I didnt realise that I needed to chain two of the adapters together to get a decent cable length. Still dont entirely get the 'balanced' thing, as all my sources/amps are single-ended, but I know that one of the adapters gives me sound in a single channel only, so I assume that was meant for a balanced source/amp ?

 



One of the adapters swaps channels and keeps it as a balanced plug layout, one of them swaps the channels and makes it a normal TRS plug and one of them simply turns it into a normal TRS plug.  Swapping the channels is for if you want to wear them over-the-ear.

post #3070 of 15308

BTW, the FA Silver Bullet tip set fit the HJE900 PERFECTLY.  Much better quality than the stock tips that come with the Pannys and better isolation to boot.

post #3071 of 15308

ljokerl, what tips were used on the Turbine Pro Coppers? The ones in the image.

Thanks

 

post #3072 of 15308
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1811 View Post

ljokerl, what tips were used on the Turbine Pro Coppers? The ones in the image.

Thanks

 



MEElec "balanced" bi-flanges. 

post #3073 of 15308
post #3074 of 15308
post #3075 of 15308

cnhardwick is right but all the Meelec double flanges work fairly well. I personally like the RE/Hifiman double flanges because they seem to balance the sound even more for me. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)