Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021) - Page 819

post #12271 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post  Sure, in short, Noble >= Custom Art >> Spiral Ear > Sensaphonics

 

The Noble has the advantage of using acrylic faceplaces so you can't see the silicone artifacts so well, plus you get artwork and all that. Even ignoring that the quality is still excellent - not as clear as acrylic, obviously, but pretty transparent and with no visible bubbles or other imperfections. Finish is fairly smooth, not grooved or rough. The Custom Art is much the same except no acrylic faceplates. The clear parts of my Music One are actually a little "clearer" than the Noble but it's not a big difference.

 

The SE 3-way Reference has some roughness to the finish and feels a little more "rubbery" at first. This goes away over time. No bubbles that I can see but it's a dark shell. The Sensaphonics have some bubbles, etc, and aren't as transparent as the Music One or Noble.

 

Thanks!

post #12272 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

The V1 doesn't have enough bass for you and I can't really recommend the Xcape IE because of the build quality. You have to be very gentle with it.

 

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it! :)

 

For now I'm decided for the MOE SS01...

post #12273 of 15318
Hey joker,

I see that you're becoming an expert in CIEMs as well biggrin.gif

I got my first CIEMs a few days ago, the Mingo CM3 (single-BA acrylics OEMed by Unique Melody)

The issue: I'm getting a non-so-consistent seal. I get excellent seal with my head tilted down, less so with my head level, and no seal when lying down on a pillow.

Looking at the CIEMs they appear to be a 1st-bend "comfort fit". Reviewing the earmold instructions from Unique Melody (which I wasn't aware of at the time), it appears my molds were taken the right way (it amounts to "bite block" right?)

Not sure how to proceed. average_joe advised me to get a remold with a second bend fit. I am looking into doing that but two worries I have are:
1. Does a second-bend fit really improve fit across different postures, or does it just "improve" fit by making movements that would otherwise break the seal impossible? I am imagining the CIEMs "remolding" my ear canals when I try to lie down rolleyes.gif
2. Wondering about durability of the CIEMs. I'm careful to store the CIEMs only in the hard case they come in whenever I'm not using them. It seems a pair of CIEMs with longer canals and a narrow neck would be even more fragile, especially given how narrow my 2nd bend appears to be (judging by the end opening of my 1st bend CIEMs). I'm actually asking Mingo to ask Unique Melody if a 2nd bend molded pair of CIEMs is actually possible for me?

Hope average_joe doesn't mind me asking for a second opinion redface.gif
post #12274 of 15318

Hello ljokerl,

I'm  looking for a good IEM that has sound signature close to Beyerdynamic DT880 (semi-opened big cans).

Someone suggests the Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII. Do you have any comment?

What are the other IEMs can you suggest to me?


Edited by mannkind246 - 12/9/13 at 6:47am
post #12275 of 15318

Hi there, 

Anybody heard , about fake Yamaha EPH-100? 

post #12276 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcsa View Post
 

Hi there, 

Anybody heard , about fake Yamaha EPH-100? 

I couldn't find anything specific but I suspect I may have one (purchased used) - there's something odd about it with the finish and strain reliefs so I'm curious if that is the case.  I just ordered another from a different seller with full retail packaging and will compare the two and post impressions here.


Edited by modulor - 12/9/13 at 1:13pm
post #12277 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post
 

I couldn't find anything specific but I suspect I may have one (purchased used) - there's something odd about it with the finish and strain reliefs so I'm curious if that is the case.  I just ordered another from a different seller with full retail packaging and will compare the two and post impressions here.

Thanks, saw them on Aliexpress for some 40 bucks...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Christmas-Gift-Genuine-Original-EPH-100-Premuim-Aluminium-Noise-Cancelling-Deep-Bass-In-Ear-Stereo-Earphones/1536158860.html

Feedback: 0...

post #12278 of 15318

Ive never dealt with them before but I've heard a few bad things about them. Might want to be cautious going in?

post #12279 of 15318

I want to make an update about my SS flux that I bought few days ago. Although, they sound good, I discovered something. Since I wanted to test how better my flux are against my standard, white, original earbuds that are shipped with samsung galaxy s3, I found out that both of them sound equal. Now how is this possible?

 

I just listened to my mp3's on my s3 for about 2 hours, and was changing from ss flux to original samsung earbuds and for the love of god I could not make a difference between them. If I was not looking I would not have guessed to which of them I was listening to. That is insane, since ss flux has cost me 56€ and this samsung earbuds came with the phone. I always though that OEM earbudds are crap but since I listened to them for my first time today, I almost didnt belive to the sound I was hearing. They sounded exactly the same as SS flux (with less noise isolation).

 

Now, is something wrong with me, or is this normal? I was listening through original music player on my s3 and equalizor was set on "Rock".

 

Should I try .flac songs and see if there is any difference? Which songs are you recommending to be complex to see if there is any difference between those 2 in more complex songs. Because if I wont find any difference I will just return SS flux and use my original samsung earbuds that came with the fun. This is outrageous !!! 

post #12280 of 15318

I bought the Meelectonrics A161P during their CM sale due to your review.  Listening to them right now and this is so clear and detailed, easily the best IEM I've ever listened to.  Thanks!

post #12281 of 15318
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
 

I've previously owned the Etymotic ER4P and ran it with a P-S converter, RSA Hornet, and lineout dock. This was years ago, and i've since sold off all of my gear.

 

If i'm looking to get back in the game, which (more recent) IEM in the Ety ER4 price range is a comparable buy in terms of sound quality? or should i just get another pair of the ER4P?

 

I would get another pair of the Etys unless you wanted to save some $$ by going with a different set. In the same price range and for the same sound, go for the ER4.

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bloggs View Post

Hey joker,

I see that you're becoming an expert in CIEMs as well biggrin.gif

I got my first CIEMs a few days ago, the Mingo CM3 (single-BA acrylics OEMed by Unique Melody)

The issue: I'm getting a non-so-consistent seal. I get excellent seal with my head tilted down, less so with my head level, and no seal when lying down on a pillow.

Looking at the CIEMs they appear to be a 1st-bend "comfort fit". Reviewing the earmold instructions from Unique Melody (which I wasn't aware of at the time), it appears my molds were taken the right way (it amounts to "bite block" right?)

Not sure how to proceed. average_joe advised me to get a remold with a second bend fit. I am looking into doing that but two worries I have are:
1. Does a second-bend fit really improve fit across different postures, or does it just "improve" fit by making movements that would otherwise break the seal impossible? I am imagining the CIEMs "remolding" my ear canals when I try to lie down rolleyes.gif
2. Wondering about durability of the CIEMs. I'm careful to store the CIEMs only in the hard case they come in whenever I'm not using them. It seems a pair of CIEMs with longer canals and a narrow neck would be even more fragile, especially given how narrow my 2nd bend appears to be (judging by the end opening of my 1st bend CIEMs). I'm actually asking Mingo to ask Unique Melody if a 2nd bend molded pair of CIEMs is actually possible for me?

Hope average_joe doesn't mind me asking for a second opinion redface.gif

 

Completely unintended, I assure you. I love universals. 

 

I have quite a few shallowly-fitted CIEMs and even between those the seal differs. Some are a tighter than others and will stay sealed no matter what I do. Others - not so much. Canals that extend to the second bend help, but not as much as having a tight fit in the first place. One of my most secure customs is my 1964-V3, which has a fairly average canal length. 

 

When taking impressions for acrylic customs it's important to keep very still in my experience - no chewing, talking, smiling, etc, and to keep your head level to ensure that your ear canals will be in the same resting state as when you're listening. Other that the standard instructions are bite block + second bend impressions (even if you're getting shallow customs it helps for the technician to know where the ear canal is "headed", so to speak). 

 

Even with proper impressions there's a bit of a luck factor. I'm at about 85% success rate in terms of getting a perfect fit with identical impressions. Always a small chance of failure. 

 

As for durability, I'm ashamed to say I've not been kind to many of my CIEMs and haven't had any problems. Just be careful not to yank the cable in a way that breaks the pins off inside the earphones. Other than that, I doubt there's any danger no matter how your ears are shaped. I might have thicker canals than you but I'm quite sure my musician's fit sets wouldn't be damaged from a drop onto concrete.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannkind246 View Post
 

Hello ljokerl,

I'm  looking for a good IEM that has sound signature close to Beyerdynamic DT880 (semi-opened big cans).

Someone suggests the Fischer Audio DBA-02 MKII. Do you have any comment?

What are the other IEMs can you suggest to me?

 

It's been a while since I heard the Beyers but from what I remember they were pretty neutral so the DBA-02 would be a pretty good match. You can also go for the less expensive but similarly-voiced VSonic VC1000.

 

Keep in mind that even with an IEM that closely matches its frequency response, the DT880 will still have an advantage in bass "feel" - rumble and impact and all that - because it can move lots more air. To get that from an IEM you would need a significantly bassier one than the DBA-02, like a Philips Fidelio S2 or GR07. Anyway, just keep in mind that you'll get more tactile bass from a DT880 compared to an "accurate" IEM.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcsa View Post
 

Hi there, 

Anybody heard , about fake Yamaha EPH-100? 

 

Ooof. Never heard of EPH-100 fakes but I would have trouble trusting that $40 one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo5468 View Post
 

I want to make an update about my SS flux that I bought few days ago. Although, they sound good, I discovered something. Since I wanted to test how better my flux are against my standard, white, original earbuds that are shipped with samsung galaxy s3, I found out that both of them sound equal. Now how is this possible?

 

I just listened to my mp3's on my s3 for about 2 hours, and was changing from ss flux to original samsung earbuds and for the love of god I could not make a difference between them. If I was not looking I would not have guessed to which of them I was listening to. That is insane, since ss flux has cost me 56€ and this samsung earbuds came with the phone. I always though that OEM earbudds are crap but since I listened to them for my first time today, I almost didnt belive to the sound I was hearing. They sounded exactly the same as SS flux (with less noise isolation).

 

Now, is something wrong with me, or is this normal? I was listening through original music player on my s3 and equalizor was set on "Rock".

 

Should I try .flac songs and see if there is any difference? Which songs are you recommending to be complex to see if there is any difference between those 2 in more complex songs. Because if I wont find any difference I will just return SS flux and use my original samsung earbuds that came with the fun. This is outrageous !!! 

 

Sorry, never heard the Samsung stock buds. LG didn't even bother including any earphones with my new Nexus. Couple of possibilities to consider.

 

1. The Samsung buds really are that good

2. Whatever mp3 compression, DSP, and equalizer settings you are using are taking away from the overall sound quality and closing the gap between different earphones

3. Comparing two sets of earphones right away may not yield the best results. Take some time to get used to the Flux, use it exclusively for a week or so, and then switch back to see if you still can't tell a difference. It's likely the difference will be greater then, though again I haven't heard any Samsung stock earphones

4. Sensitivity to sound quality does vary a lot between listeners and with experience. It happens. For some people it takes time and training to pick up on audio subtleties. I know it did for me. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za Warudo View Post
 

I bought the Meelectonrics A161P during their CM sale due to your review.  Listening to them right now and this is so clear and detailed, easily the best IEM I've ever listened to.  Thanks!

 

That was an excellent price. Glad you like them :beerchug: 

post #12282 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

It's been a while since I heard the Beyers but from what I remember they were pretty neutral so the DBA-02 would be a pretty good match. You can also go for the less expensive but similarly-voiced VSonic VC1000.

 

Keep in mind that even with an IEM that closely matches its frequency response, the DT880 will still have an advantage in bass "feel" - rumble and impact and all that - because it can move lots more air. To get that from an IEM you would need a significantly bassier one than the DBA-02, like a Philips Fidelio S2 or GR07. Anyway, just keep in mind that you'll get more tactile bass from a DT880 compared to an "accurate" IEM.

So DBA-02 is the only option? Anything better than DBA-02?

post #12283 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo5468 View Post
 

I want to make an update about my SS flux that I bought few days ago. Although, they sound good, I discovered something. Since I wanted to test how better my flux are against my standard, white, original earbuds that are shipped with samsung galaxy s3, I found out that both of them sound equal. Now how is this possible?

 

I just listened to my mp3's on my s3 for about 2 hours, and was changing from ss flux to original samsung earbuds and for the love of god I could not make a difference between them. If I was not looking I would not have guessed to which of them I was listening to. That is insane, since ss flux has cost me 56€ and this samsung earbuds came with the phone. I always though that OEM earbudds are crap but since I listened to them for my first time today, I almost didnt belive to the sound I was hearing. They sounded exactly the same as SS flux (with less noise isolation).

 

Now, is something wrong with me, or is this normal? I was listening through original music player on my s3 and equalizor was set on "Rock".

 

Should I try .flac songs and see if there is any difference? Which songs are you recommending to be complex to see if there is any difference between those 2 in more complex songs. Because if I wont find any difference I will just return SS flux and use my original samsung earbuds that came with the fun. This is outrageous !!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

Sorry, never heard the Samsung stock buds. LG didn't even bother including any earphones with my new Nexus. Couple of possibilities to consider.

 

1. The Samsung buds really are that good

2. Whatever mp3 compression, DSP, and equalizer settings you are using are taking away from the overall sound quality and closing the gap between different earphones

3. Comparing two sets of earphones right away may not yield the best results. Take some time to get used to the Flux, use it exclusively for a week or so, and then switch back to see if you still can't tell a difference. It's likely the difference will be greater then, though again I haven't heard any Samsung stock earphones

4. Sensitivity to sound quality does vary a lot between listeners and with experience. It happens. For some people it takes time and training to pick up on audio subtleties. I know it did for me. 

 

5. There's absolutely nothing wrong with you. To the contrary, yours are symptoms of a sanity that most of us here can't even faintly remember. Forget about trying flac and looking for more complex songs to help you spot minute differences in sound quality. That will only make you listen more to gear and less to music. Just return those SS Flux and enjoy what you have. There's still time for you to run and never look back. Good luck! ;) 

post #12284 of 15318
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcsa View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by modulor View Post
 

I couldn't find anything specific but I suspect I may have one (purchased used) - there's something odd about it with the finish and strain reliefs so I'm curious if that is the case.  I just ordered another from a different seller with full retail packaging and will compare the two and post impressions here.

Thanks, saw them on Aliexpress for some 40 bucks...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Christmas-Gift-Genuine-Original-EPH-100-Premuim-Aluminium-Noise-Cancelling-Deep-Bass-In-Ear-Stereo-Earphones/1536158860.html

Feedback: 0...

The name Yamaha doesn't appear anywhere on that page...

 

Style:

In-Ear

Brand Name:

OEM

post #12285 of 15318

@ljokerl @others

Guys I have been UE-600 from four months, however I planning to move onto my next headphone. I've shortlisted Hifiman 400 Waterline and Rock-it 50 based on your reviews here. I have following questions in my mind, could you please help me deciding.

1. I like clear highs and mid in UE600. They were perfect to my taste. Bass was tight but slightly less deep than I would prefer. Since Hifiman 400  has dynamic driver, I'm little worried about moving from BA driver. What difference in sound should I expect when moving from UE600 to Hifiman 400?

2. Rockit 50 seems overall good in review but there is 20$ difference in Hifiman 400 and Rockit 50. Is that leap worth it? Second what difference I will feel coming from UE600.

3. I generally listen classical rock any other recommendations for me apart from these headphones? I live in India and I have found only Hifiman and Rockit which deliver headphones in India.

At last, I would like to thank you for all your effort and time you put here to help everyone. You are a legend sir.

Regards,
Mangat Rai Modi


Edited by mangatmodi - 12/10/13 at 12:27am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 330 IEMs compared (Rock Jaw Alfa Genus added 12/25/14 p. 1021)