Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 328 IEMs compared (Lear LUF-4F / LUF-4B / LUF-4C added 11/07/14 p. 994)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 328 IEMs compared (Lear LUF-4F / LUF-4B / LUF-4C added 11/07/14 p. 994) - Page 594

post #8896 of 15059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post

Great review as always Joker! Man, you are unbelievable! After your R-50 review, I ordered my R-50s but I think I will need replacement tips for them. Which aftermarket tips work best for R-50? Should I choose Etymotic triple flanges or MEElectronics triple flanges? Which one is more comfortable and offers better sound?

I like the MH1C sony Hybrids/Regular Sony Hybrids on these, much comfortable than stock tips. Meelectronics Triple Flanges also do a great job on these, but could be slightly uncomfortable and more isolating than hybrids. Some had better fit with meelec double flanges

post #8897 of 15059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post

Great review as always Joker! Man, you are unbelievable! After your R-50 review, I ordered my R-50s but I think I will need replacement tips for them. Which aftermarket tips work best for R-50? Should I choose Etymotic triple flanges or MEElectronics triple flanges? Which one is more comfortable and offers better sound?


I felt that the stock tips really didn't provide the optimal insertion depth. I ended up with Ety triples but I have lots of experience with deep-sealing tips. They are a little thicker than MEElec tips and give me a better seal. 

post #8898 of 15059

The Ety triples it what I used as well, not only did that provide the best isolation but because of the deep insertion it sounded a little better to.

post #8899 of 15059

Do they also fit to Pfe 112?

post #8900 of 15059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkan View Post

Do they also fit to Pfe 112?


PFEs have larger nozzles. They'll stretch on but I'm not sure it's necessary since Phonaks have pretty decent stock tips. 

post #8901 of 15059

hi, joker, just want to ask, how do you compare the R-50 to GR01 since u gave both 9.2 for sound quality. i'm actually planning to get myself the gr01.

post #8902 of 15059
I'm trying to find something that has better or similar micro detail to the iM716s but with a bit more on the highs. Would the Rock-It Sounds R-50 be an upgrade compared to my iM716s?
Edited by domino584 - 12/2/12 at 5:13am
post #8903 of 15059

That's an amazing compilation of reviews ljokerl, and it's helped me a lot to pick out my first set of IEM's. Thanks a ton, It must have taken an incredibly long time to put together!  Have you ever tried Cosmic ears?  Are you thinking of adding a review of them to this thread?

post #8904 of 15059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post

That's an amazing compilation of reviews ljokerl, and it's helped me a lot to pick out my first set of IEM's. Thanks a ton, It must have taken an incredibly long time to put together!  Have you ever tried Cosmic ears?  Are you thinking of adding a review of them to this thread?

 

This is not a compilation.  He reviewed every single one of them himself.

eek.gif

post #8905 of 15059

Could anyone recommend a pair of IEMs as an alternative to the Audio Technica CK10s since they seem to be discontinued? Something around or slightly above the same price (~290) that have a similar sound signature.

 

Edit- Looking at the UE900s, but they seem to be a bit overpriced right now at about 430$


Edited by lostmage - 12/2/12 at 10:06am
post #8906 of 15059
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmage View Post

Could anyone recommend a pair of IEMs as an alternative to the Audio Technica CK10s since they seem to be discontinued? Something around or slightly above the same price (~290) that have a similar sound signature.

 

Edit- Looking at the UE900s, but they seem to be a bit overpriced right now at about 430$

As always, the Fischer Audio's DBA MKII is said to have very similar sound signature to the CK10's.

Furthermore, the Brainwavz B2 has the same driver as the DBA MKII, and is more readily available.

Here's a link to the phones at the mp4nation store, a trusted Head-Fi retailer.


Edited by Xinn3r - 12/2/12 at 11:26am
post #8907 of 15059
Quote:
The entry-level BAs typically have much more glaring weaknesses than the mid-level ones. Signatures also vary quite a bit--the entry-level BAs I like (A151, Rock-It R-20/R-30, Astrotec AM-90, etc) tend to be warmer and smoother than most higher-end ones. If you want to really try an armature but still have reservations I would recommend something decent in the ~$100 range - an A161P, Ety HF5, Phonak 022, Brainwavz B2, Rock-It R-50, etc. Less of an investment than going all out at $200 and you shouldn't lose a whole lot on resale value if you don't like them.

Are any of these dual BAs?  Phonak 021/022 and the Ety's are single, aren;t they?  I probably should have taken your advice on the A161Ps the first time.  I was worried about the brand...  :-(

 

Got the Ety's on my wish list now.  Maybe I'll sell my Shure SE215s and trade up a little...

 

JJ

post #8908 of 15059

|joker|, just wanted to say thank you for your help a few weeks back with my IEM dilemma. I ended up getting the Hifiman re262s and they'll be keeping my happy for a very long while.

 

J

post #8909 of 15059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonroses View Post

hi, joker, just want to ask, how do you compare the R-50 to GR01 since u gave both 9.2 for sound quality. i'm actually planning to get myself the gr01.

 

The GR01 is a little warmer and smoother but gives up some of the transparency of the R-50. The GR01 is the more forgiving and non-fatiguing earphone but the performance of the R-50 is technically on-par. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino584 View Post

I'm trying to find something that has better or similar micro detail to the iM716s but with a bit more on the highs. Would the Rock-It Sounds R-50 be an upgrade compared to my iM716s?

 

I've never heard the iM716 so I can't be of help there.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarista View Post

That's an amazing compilation of reviews ljokerl, and it's helped me a lot to pick out my first set of IEM's. Thanks a ton, It must have taken an incredibly long time to put together!  Have you ever tried Cosmic ears?  Are you thinking of adding a review of them to this thread?

 

No, I've never heard a Cosmic ears product and have no plans to add any at this time. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmage View Post

Could anyone recommend a pair of IEMs as an alternative to the Audio Technica CK10s since they seem to be discontinued? Something around or slightly above the same price (~290) that have a similar sound signature.

 

Edit- Looking at the UE900s, but they seem to be a bit overpriced right now at about 430$

 

The UE900 doesn't really sound like a CK10. The UE700 is closer (and, in fact, uses a similar driver) but I would recommend the Rock-It R-50, Brainwavz B2, VSonic GR01, or Fischer Audio DBA-02 instead. They all sound pretty similar to each other and the CK10, with minor differences here and there. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Jumper View Post

Are any of these dual BAs?  Phonak 021/022 and the Ety's are single, aren;t they?  I probably should have taken your advice on the A161Ps the first time.  I was worried about the brand...  :-(

 

Got the Ety's on my wish list now.  Maybe I'll sell my Shure SE215s and trade up a little...

 

JJ

 

The two pricier ones (R-50 and DBA-02) are dual BAs. The rest are single BAs. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhzaeth View Post

|joker|, just wanted to say thank you for your help a few weeks back with my IEM dilemma. I ended up getting the Hifiman re262s and they'll be keeping my happy for a very long while.

 

J


beerchug.gif Glad you're enjoying them! 

post #8910 of 15059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

I've never heard the iM716 so I can't be of help there.

They are somewhat of a crossbreed between the ER4S and ER4P (via inline switch) but don't have the treble like the ER4S and slightly less micro-detail. It's the same technology but just branded under Antec Lancing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 328 IEMs compared (Lear LUF-4F / LUF-4B / LUF-4C added 11/07/14 p. 994)