Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 320 IEMs compared (Xiaomi Piston 2 added 08/21/14 p. 958)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 320 IEMs compared (Xiaomi Piston 2 added 08/21/14 p. 958) - Page 443

post #6631 of 14371

Hello,

 

 

I am considering the Sennheiser IE80 and the Shure SE535. I will being using them for a 50/50 split of computer games and music. I listen mostly to bluegrass but also folk, rock, and jazz. I am a critical listener. I enjoy a natural, neutral, accurate sound that still allows clarity to observe each instrument and melody. If there is any advise, it would be greatly appreciated. I have also considered Monster Turbine Pro Copper and Gold. I work at Best Buy and would like to know which of the IEMs that we sell has the greatest value for my use.
 
Thanks!
 
post #6632 of 14371
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

The way you describe the GR01 sounds a lot like how I hear the R-50, so I would love to see how you would compare the 2.

 

That does sound interesting, maybe I'll try to get my hands on one after the current queue clears up a bit.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleether View Post

Incredible thread joker !

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

It's totally epic. cool.gif

 

Thanks beerchug.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphus0204 View Post

Hey joker thanks for the previous post, so I've decided to get one trident and one soundmagic E10, and based on the reviews I saw, the E10 has a larger bass,so one of my friend likes dub step while the other is pop and rock, so would the E10 be good for the dub step and trident be good for pop and rock?

 

The Trident is bassy too but the E10 appears more so due to the more laid-back midrange. Personally I think the E10 sounds better for pop, rock, and electronica. However, it does not have the build quality or presentation (packaging, accessories, design) of the Dunu earphones so I'm not sure I'd prefer to give it as a gift. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

Hello,

 

 

I am considering the Sennheiser IE80 and the Shure SE535. I will being using them for a 50/50 split of computer games and music. I listen mostly to bluegrass but also folk, rock, and jazz. I am a critical listener. I enjoy a natural, neutral, accurate sound that still allows clarity to observe each instrument and melody. If there is any advise, it would be greatly appreciated. I have also considered Monster Turbine Pro Copper and Gold. I work at Best Buy and would like to know which of the IEMs that we sell has the greatest value for my use.
 
Thanks!
 

 

 

The IE8 (please note I've only heard/reviewed the old IE8, not the newer IE80) will probably work better for gaming - that headstage and the enhanced bass are desirable qualities as far as I understand. However, I wouldn't call any of the Sennheiser earphones neutral or accurate - the SE535 fits that description better. 

post #6633 of 14371
Oh ok thanks again joker:) and I ordered the JVC ha-fxt 90 through your recommendation, still otw:) looking forward to it
post #6634 of 14371

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphus0204 View Post

Oh ok thanks again joker:) and I ordered the JVC ha-fxt 90 through your recommendation, still otw:) looking forward to it

 

 

did the same thing :). thanks joker!

post #6635 of 14371

The FXT90 has gained alot of fans lately... there's alot of demand here in China too....

post #6636 of 14371

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

The FXT90 has gained alot of fans lately... there's alot of demand here in China too....

 

I agree but only few sellers since they are coming directly from Japan.

post #6637 of 14371

Just got my ATH-CK10, very impressed with the speed... so fast.. from memory, UE700 has more bass... but clarity and detail's about the same wink.gif

Not surprising considering both use same drivers...

 

I got the most perfect seal using the largest stock tips... it's actually the most isolating IEM I have now... it really suits my ear...

 

Overall very impressed and satisfied I sold my UE700 for this

post #6638 of 14371

 

Quote:

 

The IE8 (please note I've only heard/reviewed the old IE8, not the newer IE80) will probably work better for gaming - that headstage and the enhanced bass are desirable qualities as far as I understand. However, I wouldn't call any of the Sennheiser earphones neutral or accurate - the SE535 fits that description better. 

 

 

Thanks for the reply! The 50/50 is only a potential estimate. It may end up 100 percent music. I always make time for music and not video games. How does the IE8 compare to the SE535. I have a strange tendency to lean towards the shure, but I have no good reason as to why. My main objective with any listening device is to find the best balance of neutral and detailed sound. I need versatility yet listen to mainly bluegrass. Balance is most important. Are the IE8 bass heavy, or just not lacking in bass at all? I am also worried about the isolation. Does the IE80 let sound leak in from the environment, sound escape to the environment, or both? I'd like to be in another world when I place them on. I will be playing them with a MacBook Pro 15 inch and iPod. Is this sufficient or does it change anything? I have some B&W speakers but would like to isolate myself because my room mate makes it hard to enjoy the speakers most of the time.

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT: I also stumbled upon your portable headphones review. I am now considering the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the B&W P5(I get a nice discount). What do you think of these compared to the models mentioned above? SQ vs Value. 


Edited by crzycuyler - 4/19/12 at 3:54pm
post #6639 of 14371

Any IEM that is an upgrade to the FXT90 that is a Multi-BA or Higher-End Dynamic?

post #6640 of 14371

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

Just got my ATH-CK10, very impressed with the speed... so fast.. from memory, UE700 has more bass... but clarity and detail's about the same wink.gif

Not surprising considering both use same drivers...

 

I got the most perfect seal using the largest stock tips... it's actually the most isolating IEM I have now... it really suits my ear...

 

Overall very impressed and satisfied I sold my UE700 for this

 

Niceeee, I'm quite jealous lol. I had already planned on getting the CK10 but in the end I decided to save a bit of money and got the GR01 instead. redface.gif

post #6641 of 14371
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

Just got my ATH-CK10, very impressed with the speed... so fast.. from memory, UE700 has more bass... but clarity and detail's about the same wink.gif

Not surprising considering both use same drivers...

 

I got the most perfect seal using the largest stock tips... it's actually the most isolating IEM I have now... it really suits my ear...

 

Overall very impressed and satisfied I sold my UE700 for this

 

Good to hear. I would still try some deeper-sealing tips if you have them, though.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

Thanks for the reply! The 50/50 is only a potential estimate. It may end up 100 percent music. I always make time for music and not video games. How does the IE8 compare to the SE535. I have a strange tendency to lean towards the shure, but I have no good reason as to why. My main objective with any listening device is to find the best balance of neutral and detailed sound. I need versatility yet listen to mainly bluegrass. Balance is most important. Are the IE8 bass heavy, or just not lacking in bass at all? I am also worried about the isolation. Does the IE80 let sound leak in from the environment, sound escape to the environment, or both? I'd like to be in another world when I place them on. I will be playing them with a MacBook Pro 15 inch and iPod. Is this sufficient or does it change anything? I have some B&W speakers but would like to isolate myself because my room mate makes it hard to enjoy the speakers most of the time.

 

Thanks!

 

EDIT: I also stumbled upon your portable headphones review. I am now considering the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and the B&W P5(I get a nice discount). What do you think of these compared to the models mentioned above? SQ vs Value. 

 

The IE8 is definitely bass-heavy. The SE535 has much better bass-midrange balance. It also isolates much better than the IE8 and any portable headphone. Also, you don't seem to know what type of sound you want so I would suggest doing a little more reading - the HD25-1 and SE535 (for example) sound nothing alike and the P5 is a good step down in overall performance compared to all of the rest of these.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyologist View Post

Any IEM that is an upgrade to the FXT90 that is a Multi-BA or Higher-End Dynamic?

 

 

Well, I don't think anyone will say that the FXT90 is the best IEM in the world so yes. You'll have to be more specific about what you're looking for, though

post #6642 of 14371

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

The IE8 is definitely bass-heavy. The SE535 has much better bass-midrange balance. It also isolates much better than the IE8 and any portable headphone. Also, you don't seem to know what type of sound you want so I would suggest doing a little more reading - the HD25-1 and SE535 (for example) sound nothing alike and the P5 is a good step down in overall performance compared to all of the rest of these.

 

The description I am most fond of is that of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but from what I've read the B&W P5 really develop in overall SQ after substantial use. I want neutrality and balance for my music listening and thats all that I know. I don't have experience with what will give me a better sound for video games. So I am fairly certain of these two, I am in favor of the HD 25-1 II for music and am unsure between the two for computer games? What has a better sound for gaming/movies? 

post #6643 of 14371

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Good to hear. I would still try some deeper-sealing tips if you have them, though.

 

 

I will, any ideas?


I got those fake Sony Hybrids from GR07, will that seal deeper?

 

Or will I need to use some bi-flanges/tri-flanges?

post #6644 of 14371
Thread Starter 

Added VSonic GR06 and GR01

 

Quote:
 
(2C51) VSonic GR06

VSonic GR06 400x300.jpg
Reviewed Apr 2012

Details: VSonic’s mid-range dynamic monitor
Current Price: $63 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: $63)
Specs: Driver: Dynamic | Imp: 24Ω | Sens: 108 dB | Freq: 10-20k Hz | Cable: 4.3' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 3.5mm | Preferred tips: Stock single-flanges, bi-flanges
Wear Style: Over-the-ear

Accessories (4/5) - Single-flange (3 sizes), hybrid-style (7 sizes), foam-stuffed hybrid (3 sizes), and bi-flange silicone tips, foam tips, over-the-ear cable guides and padded spring-clasp carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) - Designed for over-the-ear wear, the GR06 features adjustable-angle metal nozzles coupled and ergonomically-shaped housings. The cable is sturdy and smooth but can be somewhat resistant to staying behind one’s ears without the included guides. Lack of a sliding cable cinch does not help
Isolation (4/5) – Despite the ergonomic form factor the GR06 isolates rather well with the right tips
Microphonics (4.5/5) - Cable noise is very low as the GR06 can only be worn in the over-the-ear configuration. Although both shirt clip and cable cinch are missing from the accessory pack, the ear guides can be used to fix the cord in place
Comfort (4.5/5) - The GR06 works very well for prolonged listening - the angle of the nozzle is adjustable in every direction by ~40º due to a unique swivel mechanism and the sleek, lightweight housings are even smaller than those of the GR07

Sound (8.1/10) – While the higher-end GR07 model presents itself as a dynamic-driver take on a professional monitor, the GR06 offers a more consumer-friendly signature while showcasing just how far the sound quality of IEMs in the sub-$100 range has come in the past couple of years.

The bass of the GR06 is impactful and well-rounded. Compared to the GR07, the GR06 has less bass depth and more emphasis on the mid-bass region, resulting in a fuller, softer note presentation and warmer tone. In fact, the GR06 is more reminiscent of the Yamaha EPH-100 through the bass and midrange, albeit not as clear, hard-hitting, or resolving. It is not as tight or quick as the GR07 but competes extremely well in its price range, making solid mid-level sets such as the Spider Realvoice and MEElec CC51 sound boomy and bloated. The pricier HiSound Crystal, on the other hand, is a touch cleaner and quicker at the expense of slightly dryer sound.

The midrange of the GR06 is smooth, warm, and forward. The mids sound clean and have decent detail but are limited by the same slightly soft note presentation as the bass. As a result, the GR06 doesn’t sound quite as crisp, clean, and transparent as the GR07 or – to a lesser extent - the HiFiMan RE-ZERO or HiSound Crystal, but competes very well with pretty much everything else in its price bracket. The MEElec CC51 and Soundmagic E10 both sound mid-recessed in comparison while the Spider Realvoice and Brainwavz M2 lack detail and resolution. The pricier Sennheiser IE6 also sounds less refined than the GR06, with an edgier note presentation but no gain in clarity or detail.

At the top, the GR06 is clean and detailed but comes across a bit less aggressive than the GR07, which sounds hotter and has more sparkle. While the GR06 is generally smoother, it’s still not quite as smooth as a Sunrise Xcape IE or HiFiMan RE-ZERO. Like the GR07, the lower-end model has a slight tendency to point out sibilance and good – but not class-leading - extension. There are competing sets that sound a little crisper and more resolving – the RE-ZERO and HiSound Crystal, for example - but none of them get far ahead of the cheaper and smoother-sounding GR06.

The presentation of the GR06 is perhaps its most impressive aspect – soundstage size is above average and retains good instrument separation. The GR06 really makes similarly-priced sets such as the Brainwavz M2, MEElec A151, and even HiSound Crystal sound small and intimate. The presentation is more on-par with the far more expensive Sennheiser IE6 and IE7. Some nitpicks - there is decent air to the presentation but the more forward-sounding GR06 doesn’t have the sheer expanse of the GR07. Like the GR07, it also doesn’t have the best soundstage depth or the most 3-dimensional sonic image and the dynamics could be better. For the price, however, none of these should elicit any complaints.

Value (10/10) – The VSonic GR06 does to the sub-$100 market what last year’s release of the GR07 did to top-tier earphones, embarrassing quite a few of its competitors by combining a comfortable over-the-ear form factor, great build quality, and excellent sound at an unreasonably low price point. While some nitpicks that do make their way into its evaluation, most of them are normally reserved for upper-tier products, itself a compliment to the GR06. This is yet another VSonic product punching well above its weight.

Pros: Well-built and well-designed; warm, spacious, slightly mid-forward sound
Cons: No cable cinch

 

 

Quote:
 
(2A26) VSonic GR01

VSonic GR01 400x300.jpg
Reviewed Apr 2012

Details: VSonic’s slim-fit dual-armature model
Current Price: $183 from lendmeurears.com (MSRP: $206)
Specs: Driver: Dual BA | Imp: 32Ω | Sens: 108 dB | Freq: 5-20k Hz | Cable: 4.3' L-plug
Nozzle Size: 4mm | Preferred tips: Stock bi-flanges, MEElec triple-flanges
Wear Style: Straight down or over-the-ear

Accessories (3.5/5) - Single-flange (3 sizes), hybrid-style (7 sizes), foam-stuffed hybrid (3 sizes), and bi-flange silicone tips; padded spring-clasp carrying pouch
Build Quality (4/5) - The GR01’s form factor is of the slim, straight barrel variety, albeit with fatter-than-usual 4mm nozzles. The metal housings are reminiscent of the Klipsch Image X10. A rubber strain relief is present at the rear and the outer part of the nozzle, along with the metal mesh filter, can be (carefully) unscrewed and removed for cleaning. The cable is smooth but lacks a sliding cinch. A bump on the inside of the right strain relief makes the difficult-to-see L/R markings a non-issue
Isolation (4.5/5) – The GR01 isolates a little better than VSonic’s dynamic-driver models but not quite as well as an Ety HF5 or ER4
Microphonics (4/5) - Cable noise is bothersome when worn cable-down but becomes low with over-the-ear wear. The inclusion of a sliding cable cinch or at least a shirt clip would have helped in this regard
Comfort (4.5/5) - The housings are very slim and easy to insert deeply for a good seal. The sheer variety of included eartips should allow the fit to work for anyone, though earphones with slimmer nozzles might provide more fitment options still. The cable exits at an angle so those with smaller ears may have trouble wearing the GR01 cable-up

Sound (9.2/10) – With the sound of VSonic’s dynamic-driver GR07 model so widely praised for its accuracy and balance, it should come as no surprise that the tuning of the armature-based GR01 had to be kept fairly similar in order for the new earphone to remain a proper monitor. Though the GR01 is based around the popular Knowles TWFK dual-armature driver – the same one used by the Audio-Technica CK10, Ultimate Ears 700, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and a number of other models – the engineers at VSonic have still added their own unique touch to the sound, making the GR01 the smoothest and most musical of the TWFK-based sets I’ve heard.

Though it doesn’t quite have the bass depth of the ATH-CK10, the GR01 is only missing a bit of extension in the lowest octave. The GR07, which has solid deep bass as a good dynamic-driver monitor should, easily trumps the GR01 here. The GR07 also has better impact and fuller, thicker notes. The GR01, on the other hand, is quicker and less impactful than the GR07 but still has slightly more drawn-out decay times compared to some of its more analytical competitors. In terms of punch, it is just behind the DBA-02 mkII and about on-par with a well-amped Etymotic ER-4S, but the real treat is the accuracy. Compared to the MA-based Final Audio FI-BA-A1, for example, the bass of the GR01 is significantly tighter, cleaner, and more accurate, and the same can be said - though not to the same degree - when it is matched against the GR07.

The lower midrange of the GR01 is a little more laid-back than is typical for a TWFK-based set, resulting in a safer, smoother sound. It is even slightly warmer than a UE700 or DBA-02, though the bassier GR07 is a warmer still. The natural clarity of the armatures is very good, though the smoother GR01 lacks a bit of the absolute transparency of the DBA-02 and Ety ER4S. Detail, similarly, is on-par with the CK10 and DBA-02 without being presented quite so aggressively.

At the top, the GR01 is surprisingly smooth and non-fatiguing, perhaps the most inoffensive of the TWFK-based dual-drivers. It is significantly less bright than the UE700 and lacks the hot treble of the CK10. It is also less prone to sibilance than the GR07, displaying a seemingly smoother response where the GR07’s treble peaks fall. The tone is kept fairly neutral and timbre is among the best I’ve heard from an analytical armature-based earphone. The downside is that there isn’t quite as much energy to the sound compared to the CK10 or DBA-02, resulting in a signature that may be too ‘safe’ for fans of analytical earphones but still to neutral and accurate to appeal to the masses.

The presentation of the GR01 is nice and spacious, yet very cohesive. Though it doesn’t quite have the soundstage width of the GR07, the GR01 is more well-rounded, with decent depth and a better on-center feel. There is still slightly more width to the stage compared to the DBA-02 and the GR01 is clearly more spacious and airy than the Final Audio FI-BA-A1. Separation is good as well, though imaging lags behind the CK10 a bit, partly due to the more elongated shape of the soundstage. Overall, the presentation is solid and reminds me of the Etymotic ER-4S, but those looking for an enveloping sound a-la Earsonics won't find it here.

Value (9/10) – Though the VSonic GR01 strays little from the dual-armature monitor formula, it is one of the more competent such earphones I’ve heard, being neither overly bright nor fatiguing and managing almost all of the resolution of the more analytical Fischer Audio DBA-02. The GR01 has more going for it than just the sound, too – its slim form factor is very comfortable and the design shows good attention to detail aside from a few minor quirks. Construction is solid too, and there are enough tips included to accessorize several earphones comfortably. All in all, while the GR01 is not the direct GR07 upgrade many are doubtlessly waiting for, it is a very solid alternative for those who prefer a flatter sound signature.

Pros: Small, lightweight, and comfortable; very balanced and articulate sound
Cons: Lacks cable cinch; mediocre accessory pack; removable filters potentially more trouble than they’re worth


A full review of the GR01, complete with more photos, can be found here

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by crzycuyler View Post

 

 

The description I am most fond of is that of the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but from what I've read the B&W P5 really develop in overall SQ after substantial use. I want neutrality and balance for my music listening and thats all that I know. I don't have experience with what will give me a better sound for video games. So I am fairly certain of these two, I am in favor of the HD 25-1 II for music and am unsure between the two for computer games? What has a better sound for gaming/movies? 

 

I am pretty sure neither will be great for gaming but you may want to ask in the long HD25 thread if anyone's has managed to get decent gaming performance out of them.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinn3r View Post

 

I will, any ideas?


I got those fake Sony Hybrids from GR07, will that seal deeper?

 

Or will I need to use some bi-flanges/tri-flanges?

 

I use monster/meelec triples with the smallest flange cut off. Hybrids seal better for me than the stock tips but I've moved away from them over time.

post #6645 of 14371
Great gr06 review Joker! Really spot on. I'm now the proud owner of a gr07 as well smily_headphones1.gif the gr06 are quite mid-centric in comparison which gives them a more intimate presentation and the gr07 extends better at both ends. The best way I can describe the difference is if you took a piece of string and shaped it like the gr06 FR graph with a hump in the middle....if you then pulled the string at both ends that's pretty much the gr07.

Also, despite the higher impedance, the gr07 aren't harder to drive.
Edited by NuckinFutz - 4/20/12 at 1:02am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 320 IEMs compared (Xiaomi Piston 2 added 08/21/14 p. 958)