Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936) - Page 921

post #13801 of 14103

Wow ! I'm new here and it's an awesome comparison ! Thanks for this !

post #13802 of 14103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleex View Post
 

OK, I'm looking for a low/mid-priced IEM (<$60), preferably with remote (volume control and next track). I will mainly use them when I'm out running and working out. Any recommendations? 
I've looked at Steelseries Flux In-ear, Etymotic Research ETY-Kids 5/3 and MEElectronics M6P. 

 

If you're using an Apple product, volume controls are easy enough (pretty much any 3-button remote will do) but if you're using Android, that really narrows down your options a lot. For working out I probably won't recommend the Flux or EtyKids - the former just not secure enough in the ear and the latter perhaps not comfortable enough with that deep seal.

 

The M6P is a definitely good option. If you must have more accurate sound than the bassy M6P, I think you can find the A151P in your price range as well. It's only got a 1-button remote and isn't as bright as the Etykids but it's got a much more neutral sound than the M6P and the form factor is more suitable for active use. Not sure how the BA drivers will stand up to sweat so maybe not the best option if you expect it to last more than a year, though. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikjadoon View Post
 

Hi, Joker (and anyone else who think they could help). I'm stuck in a three-way tie to replace my dead Ety HF5s:

 

1. 1964EARS V3

2. Alclair Reference

3. Custom Art Music Ones

 

How I narrowed it down to these three:

 

Regarding the HF5s, I loved their super-detailed and clear sound, as well as the amazing isolation. I disliked the weak bass in hip-hop/pop, microphonics in quiet settings, modest ear discomfort after long sessions, the occasional sibilance cropping up, as well as the "meh" soundstage (good left/right, but nothing really else).

 

I listen to many different kinds of music: rock, pop, folk, piano, vocal, some hip-hop, and a touch of spoken word, so balanced IEMs seem like the best option. I listen for hours on end, so comfort is important; I also like to run with music, so microphonics are also important. My budget is $500 maximum because I listen on a Samsung Galaxy S4/laptop/desktop PC and am already in the diminishing returns price range.

 

Taking these into consideration, I thought I should get the best entry-level custom IEM. These are the 3 highest sound-scoring custom IEMs under $500.

 

My current dilemma:

 

The Alclair Reference seems to be the best option, except that they may accentuate sibilance. I abhor sibilance and the HF5's sibilance sometimes got to me. The Music One and V3 seemed to be similarly technically talented (9.2/9.4 sound score, compared to the 9.4 of the Reference) that didn't have sibilance. I liked the V3 because you noted it was more "musical" than the Reference. I love music that excites me and gets me tapping my feet. But, I don't like muddy bass (about as much as I hate sibilance) which you mention about the V3s in comparison to the Reference: even though the HF5s lacked bass impact, I appreciated the bass' cleanliness.

 

So, then, I thought, OK, maybe the middle ground is the Custom One's: no sibilance and no muddy bass. But, it seems to be a little less technically talented than either the V3 and the Reference and I'm a bit hesitant about shipping costs to Poland for warranty and/or refit issues.

 

Where I need help: is the sibilance of the Reference worse than the V3's muddier bass? I realize I'm exaggerating their flaws here; these are two pretty great IEMs. I just want to make sure I spend my money in the best place.

 

The Custom Art Music Two's seem like the answer, sans shipping costs, but I realize you haven't listened to them and its reviews are scarce, particularly by those with custom IEM experience. :(

 

Yes, the Reference is probably not the best option due to being more revealing of sibilance than the HF5, and the V3 is much, much bassier than the HF5. The Custom One is a "safer" choice in terms of sound signature but it doesn't have a whole lot more bass than the Etys so it might not be a drastic enough upgrade for you in that area. Obviously it does fix the other issues you have - comfort, cable noise, etc. 

 

One more option you might want to consider is the Perfect Seal SportBud Silver, which I just covered here: http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-impressions-noble-fr-pr-perfect-seal-sportbud-silver-minerva-mi-performer-pro-mi-artist-pro/ . It comes from a US-based company and is about on-par with the Custom Art Music One in technical ability. In fact, it more strongly reminds me of the StageDiver SD-2, which if I'm not mistaken uses the same driver. Compared to the Music One you gain a little bass quantity (a good think with your requirements) and lose a little treble quality (not a good thing, but the difference is not night and day).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobraz View Post
 

Wow ! I'm new here and it's an awesome comparison ! Thanks for this !

 

:beerchug:

post #13803 of 14103

I've given a lot of recommendations in the past but I feel really stuck in choosing something that's right for me. I'm looking for a neutral, analytical IEM with a lot of sound stage and, if it has to veer from being totally flat, a slight boost in the treble region. I'm looking to spend $200-300. I don't mind dynamic or BA drivers, but in the past I've found BAs the most enjoyable.

 

The two best IEMs I've listened to are the Etymotic ER4S and the Brainwavz B2, for reference. I'm trying to get a step up from them to go with my ODAC+O2 combo.

 

Thanks joker/everyone else!

post #13804 of 14103
Get the IEM with the clearest, smoothest, and warmest Mids and then listen to any Ariana Grande or Shalira song.. omg eargasm much?
post #13805 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsG View Post

Get the IEM with the clearest, smoothest, and warmest Mids and then listen to any Ariana Grande or Shalira song.. omg eargasm much?

which iem you talkin bout willis

post #13806 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post
 

I've given a lot of recommendations in the past but I feel really stuck in choosing something that's right for me. I'm looking for a neutral, analytical IEM with a lot of sound stage and, if it has to veer from being totally flat, a slight boost in the treble region. I'm looking to spend $200-300. I don't mind dynamic or BA drivers, but in the past I've found BAs the most enjoyable.

 

The two best IEMs I've listened to are the Etymotic ER4S and the Brainwavz B2, for reference. I'm trying to get a step up from them to go with my ODAC+O2 combo.

 

Thanks joker/everyone else!

 

    go ciem . sadly i have never tried anything better then er-4p , and then i havent tried many top end phones .

post #13807 of 14103

I'm sad to see Noble 6 will not get full review. Can you at least tell us, if you think this 6 driver IEM is on same level as other 1K IEMs and estimated score for sound?

 

Thanks :)

post #13808 of 14103

Hi all, would like recommendations. i have a budget of around $100 USD, but it can go a little higher if it's truly worth it.

 

i had the klipsch s4's for the past 3 years but recently lost them. while i was satisfied with them i realize there are better options.

 

the genres i listen to most would probably be rap and rock, such as flipsyde, brother ali, common market, adelitas way.. but also artists like stevie wonder, gnarls barkley, etc. so i would really like a good all-around IEM.

 

 

i'm looking for something comfortable (i listen up to 5 hours of music a day, usually half through my IEMS) with good sound isolation, preferably passive. obviously good sound quality is a must, as is durability, my s4's lasted 3 years and still aren't broken, just lost, i'm not sure how uncommon this is for higher quality IEMs but i would definitely want a pair to last at least a year if not more.


Edited by msd94 - 6/10/14 at 9:06pm
post #13809 of 14103
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundstige View Post
 

I've given a lot of recommendations in the past but I feel really stuck in choosing something that's right for me. I'm looking for a neutral, analytical IEM with a lot of sound stage and, if it has to veer from being totally flat, a slight boost in the treble region. I'm looking to spend $200-300. I don't mind dynamic or BA drivers, but in the past I've found BAs the most enjoyable.

 

The two best IEMs I've listened to are the Etymotic ER4S and the Brainwavz B2, for reference. I'm trying to get a step up from them to go with my ODAC+O2 combo.

 

Thanks joker/everyone else!

 

I still haven't found anything I enjoy more than the ER4S and a few of the better TWFKs in that price range for balanced-to-slightly bright sound. However, if you can get your hands on it, maybe try the Sony EX1000 - it provides a slightly different take on the balanced/bright signature with a wider/more out-of-the-head presentation. The EX600 is also an option and should be less expensive, but possibly harder to get your hands on.

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
 

I'm sad to see Noble 6 will not get full review. Can you at least tell us, if you think this 6 driver IEM is on same level as other 1K IEMs and estimated score for sound?

 

Thanks :)

 

If you only consider universals it's not so bad but I thought the MH334 sounded better overall with a somewhat similar (but smoother) signature, and the less expensive StageDiver SD-3 was a close competitor as well. I would rank the 6 somewhere between those two, closer to the SD-3.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd94 View Post
 

Hi all, would like recommendations. i have a budget of around $100 USD, but it can go a little higher if it's truly worth it.

 

i had the klipsch s4's for the past 3 years but recently lost them. while i was satisfied with them i realize there are better options.

 

the genres i listen to most would probably be rap and rock, such as flipsyde, brother ali, common market, adelitas way.. but also artists like stevie wonder, gnarls barkley, etc. so i would really like a good all-around IEM.

 

 

i'm looking for something comfortable (i listen up to 5 hours of music a day, usually half through my IEMS) with good sound isolation, preferably passive. obviously good sound quality is a must, as is durability, my s4's lasted 3 years and still aren't broken, just lost, i'm not sure how uncommon this is for higher quality IEMs but i would definitely want a pair to last at least a year if not more.

 

 

RHA MA750s are nice and durable at around $110. They fit your requirements for sound and decent isolation but comfort will depend on your ears - for me they are fine but some have reported them to be too large. They are also worn cable-up.

 

JVC HA-FXT90 is slightly less expensive but sounds about as good. It's more lightweight than the MA750 but still has a large footprint in the ear compared to the S4 thanks to its dual drivers.

 

ATH-CKM500 has a shallower fit so you'll maybe give up a bit of isolation but it's quite comfortable and very inexpensive for the sound quality provided. 

 

Sony MH1C would be the least expensive set I'd recommend. It's probably the safest choice in terms of comfort/noise isolation balance, though the cable can be annoying, and sound every bit as good as the CKM500 overall. There's a Bluetooth wireless version of these as well - the SBH80.

post #13810 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd94 View Post
 

Hi all, would like recommendations. i have a budget of around $100 USD, but it can go a little higher if it's truly worth it.

 

i had the klipsch s4's for the past 3 years but recently lost them. while i was satisfied with them i realize there are better options.

 

the genres i listen to most would probably be rap and rock, such as flipsyde, brother ali, common market, adelitas way.. but also artists like stevie wonder, gnarls barkley, etc. so i would really like a good all-around IEM.

 

 

i'm looking for something comfortable (i listen up to 5 hours of music a day, usually half through my IEMS) with good sound isolation, preferably passive. obviously good sound quality is a must, as is durability, my s4's lasted 3 years and still aren't broken, just lost, i'm not sure how uncommon this is for higher quality IEMs but i would definitely want a pair to last at least a year if not more.

 

Maybe Vsonic GR07 Classic? Ok isolation, great comfort for most. Good sound quality. I just don't know how they stack up to the newer ones. I've been out of the game for a while, haven't bought any new iems for a while. But just looking at construction I still find that GR07 were among the most comfortable iems I've tried. Great warm-ish sound with good slightly-above-neutral bass with good organic drum sounds. Just a tendency to sound sibilant but usually not a problem. Kind of thinking about buying a new pair later just because the GR07 really changed my way of listening to music. 

post #13811 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by msd94 View Post
 

Hi all, would like recommendations. i have a budget of around $100 USD, but it can go a little higher if it's truly worth it.

 

i had the klipsch s4's for the past 3 years but recently lost them. while i was satisfied with them i realize there are better options.

 

the genres i listen to most would probably be rap and rock, such as flipsyde, brother ali, common market, adelitas way.. but also artists like stevie wonder, gnarls barkley, etc. so i would really like a good all-around IEM.

 

 

i'm looking for something comfortable (i listen up to 5 hours of music a day, usually half through my IEMS) with good sound isolation, preferably passive. obviously good sound quality is a must, as is durability, my s4's lasted 3 years and still aren't broken, just lost, i'm not sure how uncommon this is for higher quality IEMs but i would definitely want a pair to last at least a year if not more.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

 

RHA MA750s are nice and durable at around $110. They fit your requirements for sound and decent isolation but comfort will depend on your ears - for me they are fine but some have reported them to be too large. They are also worn cable-up.

 

JVC HA-FXT90 is slightly less expensive but sounds about as good. It's more lightweight than the MA750 but still has a large footprint in the ear compared to the S4 thanks to its dual drivers.

 

ATH-CKM500 has a shallower fit so you'll maybe give up a bit of isolation but it's quite comfortable and very inexpensive for the sound quality provided. 

 

Sony MH1C would be the least expensive set I'd recommend. It's probably the safest choice in terms of comfort/noise isolation balance, though the cable can be annoying, and sound every bit as good as the CKM500 overall. There's a Bluetooth wireless version of these as well - the SBH80.

 

 

How about the Yamaha EPH-100? strong bass, small form factor, good build quality. No mic/controls. $110 on Amazon.

post #13812 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post

which iem you talkin bout willis
None in specific, but with me it's the UE600
post #13813 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

Yes, the Reference is probably not the best option due to being more revealing of sibilance than the HF5, and the V3 is much, much bassier than the HF5. The Custom One is a "safer" choice in terms of sound signature but it doesn't have a whole lot more bass than the Etys so it might not be a drastic enough upgrade for you in that area. Obviously it does fix the other issues you have - comfort, cable noise, etc. 

 

Once again, Mr. Joker's review lines up with mine, and joker's got to be the most honest and trustable reviewer on headfi.  You have to tread headfi carefully because you will run into lots of hype and possibly scammers posting that get's paid for only writing positive things.  Joker has much experience, low-fi to hi.

 

Joker, I've noticed that NT-6 is sensitive to source.  NT-6 can be extremely clear and detail, or sound like any other iem depending on the source.  Have you tried several sources?  I found that if you match it with the right source, it would push out some unbelievable sound, dynamic imaging is ridiculous.  My top three sources are DX100, ODAC/O2 combo, and Fiio X5.  Maybe your ranking would go up even more if you try it with the right source?


Edited by SilverEars - 6/11/14 at 6:04am
post #13814 of 14103
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post




How about the Yamaha EPH-100? strong bass, small form factor, good build quality. No mic/controls. $110 on Amazon.

I think that is the best suggestion yet. The Yamaha's appear to be a clear favorite in this price range. Check out the EPH-100 thread.....it made me but a pair. Just deal with Amazon and not eBay on these; a lot of known fakes floating around on eBay.
Edited by Astropin - 6/11/14 at 6:53am
post #13815 of 14103

Hello

Joker,

 

What's the best IEM I can purchase without going for broke?

 

1. I'm looking for tight and noticeable deep sub-bass (not necessarily a bass-head type)

 

2. Clear and liquid-like sounding mids'

 

3. Finally, clear and analytical treble (not dry)

 

-A mild V shape is the idealistic sound I had in mind

 

.....I thought about the Dunu DN-1000 (triple driver hybrid), if paying in the $200 dollar range.

 

But, I'm trying to shoot under $50 dollars (or only above $50 if any BA's are worth getting that could provide all of the above).

 

 

-Some ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!


Edited by 1clearhead - 6/11/14 at 11:15am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)