Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936) - Page 854

post #12796 of 14123

I haven't tried the SE846 but I definitely prefer the Etymotic ER4S over the SE535 because I find the SE535's top end too veiled and the Ety's are flatter sounding even though the bass response of the Ety is not as extended as the SE535. Overall I find the Ety ER4S sound signature to be more accurate for my taste.

post #12797 of 14123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

Any chance of adding the Shure's SE846's too?

 

Don't have one and Shure wasn't amenable to sending one out.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christianh View Post
 

 

Thanks for the reply!

 

I want accurate transparent sound. Like a studio monitor. Also the SE535 are not as comfy as i would like. I have never gotten used to them even though i've had them for about 3 years now.

 

If the SE535s are uncomfortable for you because they (especially the cable connectors) rest against the outer ear, like they are for me, then the Etys will indeed be a better fit. They sound best with a deeper seal than the Shures, though. Sound-wise they are very transparent - like Francisk I find the to be more accurate and prefer their greater treble energy to that of the Shures.

post #12798 of 14123
ljokerl, ok thanks, insanely awesome thread by the way - i had to pipe up after seeing the work you put in to this.

Any idea on the durability of the Shure's (535's or 846's are the two I'm interted in) ? I plan on using them in the gym with a FIIO X5 when it's released in the States.
post #12799 of 14123

ljokerl:

initially, let me congratulate you on your extremely incisive and well-written reviews. iwould also be remiss if i didn't note your thoughtful and courteous communications with other members--you were obviously raised right.

if i may invoke your expertise:

1. i'm curious to try a BA design and have hovered around buying the mee a161p, but get  a sense from others they may be bass-shy. (i listen to rock/bop and while not a basshead, like some low end impact--i'm currently enjoying a UE 500 and moshi vortex). would i be disappointed with the a161p? is there an oomphier BA in the same range?

2. do you have any opinion on the beyer dtx501p, which is supposed to bear some resemblance to the dt1350? any recs for a small on-ear in the same range?

cheers,

lj

post #12800 of 14123

Thank you guys for the suggestions

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

The Wooduo 2 has mostly deep bass (subbass) and I haven't heard anything with more deep bass than that. You can currently get it for <$80 on ebay and amazon - I haven't heard anything that can beat that for bass.

 

I found a good deal for a Wooduo 2 and ordered a set
Thank you joker
post #12801 of 14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Impact - no. The small driver just can't move as much air as a headphone. Resolution - yes. The HD25 might appear to have a small advantage there thanks to its sharper/crisper treble but for a less bright IEM the Music One does very well.

 

The Music One is definitely not as lean/thin/bright/clinical as the B2. It's not very critical of source either, possibly because there's no crossover. Not sure if this holds true for the Music Two because I think it's a dual-driver (can't remember for sure right now). 

Thank you!

 

After a little more digging, it seems that the Music One might not have as much attack as I want, as it seems to be a very smooth signature.

 

I've been perusing the 1964 catalogue, in particular, the V3 and the V6-S. It looks like the V3 and M1 are completely different beasts in terms of signature, where the V3 is a musical but aggressive while the M1 is more reference and laid-back. The V6-S looks to be in another league entirely more akin to mid-level customs, with a reference sound with slightly tilted bass.

 

I'm ultimately looking for something natural and fun, but not colored to the point of a fatiguing/tiresome signature over a period of time, and suitable for metal. Does it look like the V6-S is taking the cake?

 

The V6-S seems like a no-brainer if I'm perceiving it correctly save the hefty price. The V3 is tempting with its cheaper price tag and musicality, but the perceived boominess is a little scary, especially when it comes to light-speed double bass on some death metal tracks, and its sibilance-proneness. The Music One (Two) is also valid because though it doesn't have the attack of the other two models, it has a fun, textured low-end and smoothened response that is safe for metal tracks.

 

I suppose I'm just thinking out loud here, but would you say that the 6-S is worth the investment in this regard, or perhaps you'd like to point me towards some other customs/universals closer to the V3/Music One price point? I'm looking at customs mainly for the comfort, isolation, and aesthetic.


Edited by vaed - 1/31/14 at 9:18pm
post #12802 of 14123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

ljokerl, ok thanks, insanely awesome thread by the way - i had to pipe up after seeing the work you put in to this.

Any idea on the durability of the Shure's (535's or 846's are the two I'm interted in) ? I plan on using them in the gym with a FIIO X5 when it's released in the States.

 

Thank you :)

 

I think now that the cable connectors no longer fail (at least as far as I know), the Shure IEMs should be plenty reliable. However, I would caution against using a BA earphone at the gym - from what I've been told armatures are less resistant to moisture than dynamic drivers. In the case of hearing aids (which, granted, are meant to last many years) there are even special dryers you can buy to dry them out at night to prolong their lifespan. Long story short, if you sweat a lot you may want to avoid using a balanced armature IEM at the gym.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loomisjohnson View Post
 

ljokerl:

initially, let me congratulate you on your extremely incisive and well-written reviews. iwould also be remiss if i didn't note your thoughtful and courteous communications with other members--you were obviously raised right.

if i may invoke your expertise:

1. i'm curious to try a BA design and have hovered around buying the mee a161p, but get  a sense from others they may be bass-shy. (i listen to rock/bop and while not a basshead, like some low end impact--i'm currently enjoying a UE 500 and moshi vortex). would i be disappointed with the a161p? is there an oomphier BA in the same range?

2. do you have any opinion on the beyer dtx501p, which is supposed to bear some resemblance to the dt1350? any recs for a small on-ear in the same range?

cheers,

lj

 

Thanks, that's certainly a very unique compliment :D

 

The A161P has good bass for a single BA earphone - better than most in both depth and punch. However, your UE500 has a lot more bass boost so if you're used to that, the A161P may not be the best option (or may just take some time to get used to). There are a few bassier BAs under $100 - the Phonak Perfect Bass 022 is a good one that really doesn't lack bass, for example.

 

I haven't tried the DTX501P but last I checked the DT1350 was <$180 on amazon which is a great price, though I personally prefer the sound signatures of the Senn HD25 and V-Moda M-80. They're all about the same size. 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kani View Post

 

I found a good deal for a Wooduo 2 and ordered a set
Thank you joker

 

:beerchug: hope you like them!

post #12803 of 14123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaed View Post
 

After a little more digging, it seems that the Music One might not have as much attack as I want, as it seems to be a very smooth signature.

 

I've been perusing the 1964 catalogue, in particular, the V3 and the V6-S. It looks like the V3 and M1 are completely different beasts in terms of signature, where the V3 is a musical but aggressive while the M1 is more reference and laid-back. The V6-S looks to be in another league entirely more akin to mid-level customs, with a reference sound with slightly tilted bass.

 

I'm ultimately looking for something natural and fun, but not colored to the point of a fatiguing/tiresome signature over a period of time, and suitable for metal. Does it look like the V6-S is taking the cake?

 

The V6-S seems like a no-brainer if I'm perceiving it correctly save the hefty price. The V3 is tempting with its cheaper price tag and musicality, but the perceived boominess is a little scary, especially when it comes to light-speed double bass on some death metal tracks, and its sibilance-proneness. The Music One (Two) is also valid because though it doesn't have the attack of the other two models, it has a fun, textured low-end and smoothened response that is safe for metal tracks.

 

I suppose I'm just thinking out loud here, but would you say that the 6-S is worth the investment in this regard, or perhaps you'd like to point me towards some other customs/universals closer to the V3/Music One price point? I'm looking at customs mainly for the comfort, isolation, and aesthetic.

 

I really couldn't find fault with the V6-Stage beyond the very mild sibilance I encountered on some tracks. For the price it's as good an earphone as I've heard. The V3 is too bassy for me personally and the Music One, good as it is, still has some limitations in bass and treble (which the dual-BA Music Two may remedy). 

post #12804 of 14123

ljokerl, thanks again as always for the thread. 

 

I'm looking for an iem that will just nail classical, especially string quartets and cello solos. For practicality, it should be a universal. What's your current recommendation in the under $500 class? 

post #12805 of 14123
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendarko View Post

ljokerl, ok thanks, insanely awesome thread by the way - i had to pipe up after seeing the work you put in to this.

Any idea on the durability of the Shure's (535's or 846's are the two I'm interted in) ? I plan on using them in the gym with a FIIO X5 when it's released in the States.

The actual ear pieces should do fine but I'm experiencing issues keeping the 846's cables attached just using them at my desk.  The Shure's are isolating but depending on your gym I suspect a lot of noise will filter into your listening experience.  I found with the noise and blaring music my nano and ER4's do fine at the gym and they block out much of the noise. Personally, I wouldn't take nearly $2k of headgear to the gym. 

post #12806 of 14123
True, but I'm not concerned about losing them or anything, just their durability for gym workouts, I don't sweap copiously either so I wouldn't think that should be too big of a concern.
post #12807 of 14123
Quote:
3C3) Skullcandy Ink’d
Pros: Easy to find, fairly inoffensive sound, reasonably comfortable and isolating
Cons: Poor build quality, harsh treble, no L/R indicators

 

If you look at the back of them where there is some protection prior to going into the speaker, you will see a very tiny L and R on each one.

 

If you get to the different plastic type then you have gone too far.

post #12808 of 14123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

ljokerl, thanks again as always for the thread. 

 

I'm looking for an iem that will just nail classical, especially string quartets and cello solos. For practicality, it should be a universal. What's your current recommendation in the under $500 class? 

 

Unfortunately "nail" tends to mean different things to different people. For me a neutral IEM is best for classical so I would go for an Ety ER4S. If you like a warmer sound there are other options, like the StageDiver SD-2, but I think the ER4S is great.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcire View Post
 

 

If you look at the back of them where there is some protection prior to going into the speaker, you will see a very tiny L and R on each one.

 

If you get to the different plastic type then you have gone too far.

 

The Ink'd I reviewed was manufactured in 2008. They added L/R markings later. I should note that in the review one of these days. 

post #12809 of 14123

I have had my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, I have had them for about 3 years and they have been great to me, I picked them up during one of the monster refurbished deals and got them for I think $99 which was a great deal on an IEM that have been great. 

 

Now I wear these headphone commuting into Boston everyday on the train and then about a half mile walk from the train to work, over time they have slightly stared to show their age, the metal backing has started to come a little loose, the rubber on the strain relief has come apart (though the wire itself is still fine). 

 

I always take good care of them and wrap them up and put them in their case after every use and as I have said I have gotten about 3 solid years of use so I cannot complain. 

 

However I just have a feeling after dealing with many IEM's once the strain relief starts to go no matter how well you treat them they might not last, so I want to start thinking of some replacements.

 

Now I love the natural sound that the pro coppers provide they have a great mid-range and have a very smooth sound, however the part where  find them lacking is on the low end bass, I am not looking for anything with super boomy bass but something with a slightly better low end sound then the coppers provide.

 

from a build standpoint, I want something that has a good build quality that will be ok going through the wear and tear of a daily commute and be able to stand up to being used heavily, something I can count on and get a similar life span of my pro coppers. Also another thing I don't love about the Pro Coppers are they are heavy, I find myself frequently adjusting them in my ear as walking sometimes shakes them loose. 

 

I also want something with a detachable cable (so I can replace cable making them more durable) that can be worn straight down as over the ears are a pain with glasses. Also if at all possible I would like if it had controls to play pause and skip controls but its not a requirement. 

 

I would like to keep my budget in the $100 - $200 range.

post #12810 of 14123
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSF767 View Post
 

Now I love the natural sound that the pro coppers provide they have a great mid-range and have a very smooth sound, however the part where  find them lacking is on the low end bass, I am not looking for anything with super boomy bass but something with a slightly better low end sound then the coppers provide.

 

from a build standpoint, I want something that has a good build quality that will be ok going through the wear and tear of a daily commute and be able to stand up to being used heavily, something I can count on and get a similar life span of my pro coppers. Also another thing I don't love about the Pro Coppers are they are heavy, I find myself frequently adjusting them in my ear as walking sometimes shakes them loose. 

 

I also want something with a detachable cable (so I can replace cable making them more durable) that can be worn straight down as over the ears are a pain with glasses. Also if at all possible I would like if it had controls to play pause and skip controls but its not a requirement. 

 

I would like to keep my budget in the $100 - $200 range.

 

As far as I know what you're looking for doesn't exist. More bass than the Coppers is not very common among higher-end earphones to start with, but cable-down earphones with detachable cables are even rarer (there's like 5 I can think of, and none fit your other requirements). As far as I know your options are:

 

Yamaha EPH-100 - excellent bass and lightweight form factor but no detachable cable, and no mic/remote

RHA MA750i - similar bass quantity to the Coppers and not too different in sound overall. Well-built and has a mic/remote but again no detachable cable and it's worn over-the-ear

Dunu DN-1000 - has good bass but also is significantly brighter than the Coppers and the sets above so it may sound off coming from the Coppers, especially at higher volumes. Also no detachable cable, no remote, and it isn't any lighter in the ear than the Copper

Onkyo IE-HF300 + whatever Onkyo's mic cable is called - the only set here with a detachable cable. Very lightweight but feels plasticky for a $100+ earphone. Punchy but has less deep bass than the Coppers and the sets above, and not as good overall sound quality. 

HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 - has a ton of bass (the only one with significantly more of it than the Turbines) but doesn't sound as natural overall. Also is the least well-built and again no detachable cables or mic/remote.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)