Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936) - Page 842

post #12616 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntere View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chude Mleko View Post
 

Thank you joker, you are always great help.

Regarding sound signature column I would probably try to add all key-words if one doesn't fit. maybe not strictly sound signature related but few components that make the set belong to some group or make it unique. Then in extended search people could choose key words they are interested in like clarity, enhanced bass, wide stage, etc. You could allow to make negative choices as well, like show me all but bassy and siblant. 

Or you could just use a symbol like V, U, - as appropriate... 

 

And combinations of properties would indicate that it's somewhere between. V + F would be somewhere between V-shaped and Flat. Easy as pie... OR? Whatever you come up with I'm sure that it will be awesome. Just like this thread and the interactive guide.

post #12617 of 14120
Ljokerl, have you tried the Fischer Audio FA4-E XB, in comparison to SD2 & 3. I felt SD3 was too much, but fun, and SD2 too little, and boring in comparison. Hunting for the middle ground really.
post #12618 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post


Expensive and discontinued as far as I know.

That's a shame.
Quote:
The bass of the Reference is less enhanced compared to the SM2/SM3/SM64.

I assumed as much. I found a good deal on a pair of TF10s, I'll stick with them for now and maybe get a reshell/driver upgrade from IM when I get sick of them. Thanks for helping me sift through yet again :-)
post #12619 of 14120

Does anyone have any recommendations for a highly durable headphone in the 30-100 dollar range. Pretty much every iem i have owned has broken in 6 months of daily use. My solution to this problem seems to be to recable my headphones and use stronger cabling. Perhaps not the best or most time efficient solution. This question has been asked before and I have never seen a good answer to it. 

post #12620 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR3v View Post
 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a highly durable headphone in the 30-100 dollar range. Pretty much every iem i have owned has broken in 6 months of daily use. My solution to this problem seems to be to recable my headphones and use stronger cabling. Perhaps not the best or most time efficient solution. This question has been asked before and I have never seen a good answer to it. 

 

The Rocket?

 

Quote:

Problem 1 //. It broke... again

ROCKETS aren't just designed in the USA - they're made in USA... in fact, we make pretty much everything ourselves, in-house at our production facility in Nashville, TN, using space-age manufacturing technologies.  These babies are mil-spec durable and are built to take the use (and abuse) of daily wear (and the occasional accident).

  1. Titanium shells - Super strong, super light, super sound.

  2. Kevlar tri-weave military grade cables are able to withstand the abuse of  daily use.

  3. Cables are anchored by Kevlar at 3 points to the shell which prevents broken connections.

  4. ROCKETS are waterproof to IP65 which means sweat, rain and water not a problem; you can run, bike, and lift in the rain with these!

We're fanatical about the quality and design of our products, and even more nutty about our quality control. Products that successfully leave the building have gone through stringent QC checks. All Aurisonics products are proudly Made in USA.

post #12621 of 14120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJ View Post

What about the Beyerdynamic DTX101? Where do they fit in the scale of things?
If those JVC FDX aren't that bad, then I have even more options :/
What about the MS01 or FXT90?
The VSDS1 looks pretty nice as well :/
(from you last post I've almost completely ruled out the A161p, although I might try to see if i can try a pair to see how they sound. And after a bit more listening to my AM800 I think it is the sparkle/treble that I like, along with a nice but not overpowering bass (boss on ears + bass booster is a bit boomy )

 

The DXT101 is honestly a bit of a downgrade from your AM-800. Bass is boomier and the treble is not as clean and clear. The MS01 is also not much of an upgrade from the AM-800, more of a sidestep. It has more bass but a little less clarity. The VSD1 is better but has its own downsides (a little sibilant compared to AM-800 and bass not quite as tight). The FXT90 is very nice but a little large for small ears and has more mid-bass than AM-800 and a more forward and aggressive sound in general. I still like it but the FXD80 is a better match for the AM-800's sound signature. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
 

It turns out that I don't have narrow canals, and the Comply P-series slim tips I was using with the W3 was too "slim" for my ears. I used the regular sized tips that came with the W3 and they worked perfectly for noise isolation, but they expanded too much and made my ears feel like there's too much pressure trapped inside. I bought some Comply P regular sized tips and holy mother of God they are AMAZING. I never loved another IEM so much as the W3 with these tips, I would rank the noise isolation as 5/5 and comfort 5/5, and it has the most enjoyable SQ out of my other 3 IEM's that I bought (GR07-BE, X10, MA750), build quality 5/5 and accessories 5/5. It complements my HD650 perfectly as the W3 is very energetic, speedy and has elevated shimmery treble, making my EDM's sound the best I've ever heard. Man I'm freakin in LOVE with the W3!

 

Glad you found what you were looking for!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chude Mleko View Post
 

Thank you joker, you are always great help.

Regarding sound signature column I would probably try to add all key-words if one doesn't fit. maybe not strictly sound signature related but few components that make the set belong to some group or make it unique. Then in extended search people could choose key words they are interested in like clarity, enhanced bass, wide stage, etc. You could allow to make negative choices as well, like show me all but bassy and siblant. 

 

Yep, see my reply to MoonYeol below. Allowing filtering by different combinations of sound signatures would be a whole another challenge but if it leads to better results it'll be worth it.

 

Good idea on allowing certain specific ones to be excluded!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post
 

 

And combinations of properties would indicate that it's somewhere between. V + F would be somewhere between V-shaped and Flat. Easy as pie... OR? Whatever you come up with I'm sure that it will be awesome. Just like this thread and the interactive guide.

 

This is what I was thinking. For things in-between "signatures" the one that applies best would go first and the secondary would go second. For example "V-Shaped/neutral" would be a slightly v-shaped earphone learning towards neutrality (e.g. LG Quadbeat), "Neutral/warm" would be a neutral earphone leaning towards warmth (e.g. StageDiver 2 or HiFiMan RE-600), "Bassy/v-shaped" would be an bass-heavy earphone with a v-shaped overall characteristic (e.g. JVC Xtreme Xplosives). Still needs more thought...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliuscc View Post

Ljokerl, have you tried the Fischer Audio FA4-E XB, in comparison to SD2 & 3. I felt SD3 was too much, but fun, and SD2 too little, and boring in comparison. Hunting for the middle ground really.

 

Sorry, haven't tried any Fischer Amps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly87 View Post


That's a shame.
I assumed as much. I found a good deal on a pair of TF10s, I'll stick with them for now and maybe get a reshell/driver upgrade from IM when I get sick of them. Thanks for helping me sift through yet again :-)

 

I still like the sound of the TF10, personally. Just not the fit in stock form.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR3v View Post
 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a highly durable headphone in the 30-100 dollar range. Pretty much every iem i have owned has broken in 6 months of daily use. My solution to this problem seems to be to recable my headphones and use stronger cabling. Perhaps not the best or most time efficient solution. This question has been asked before and I have never seen a good answer to it. 

 

This: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/oneill-black-sho2205bk_28/prd/en/ 

post #12622 of 14120

Thanks again Joker!

 

So it's basically narrowed down to the Shure 215 and the FXD80 (not too bothered about the mic version as I'll probably get the Bluetooth adapter)

 

If the FXD80 is basically just a better version of the AM800 (as in similar V shapeness), how do the Shures fit in?

 

(also looking at some Jaybird BlueBuds, going on ebay atm for £80, which is out of budget but then again, they do look pretty cool)


Edited by AgentJ - 1/11/14 at 8:01am
post #12623 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
 

It turns out that I don't have narrow canals, and the Comply P-series slim tips I was using with the W3 was too "slim" for my ears. I used the regular sized tips that came with the W3 and they worked perfectly for noise isolation, but they expanded too much and made my ears feel like there's too much pressure trapped inside. I bought some Comply P regular sized tips and holy mother of God they are AMAZING. I never loved another IEM so much as the W3 with these tips, I would rank the noise isolation as 5/5 and comfort 5/5, and it has the most enjoyable SQ out of my other 3 IEM's that I bought (GR07-BE, X10, MA750), build quality 5/5 and accessories 5/5. It complements my HD650 perfectly as the W3 is very energetic, speedy and has elevated shimmery treble, making my EDM's sound the best I've ever heard. Man I'm freakin in LOVE with the W3!

Same!

Best IEM I've heard in that price range

post #12624 of 14120
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJ View Post
 

Thanks again Joker!

 

So it's basically narrowed down to the Shure 215 and the FXD80 (not too bothered about the mic version as I'll probably get the Bluetooth adapter)

 

If the FXD80 is basically just a better version of the AM800 (as in similar V shapeness), how do the Shures fit in?

 

(also looking at some Jaybird BlueBuds, going on ebay atm for £80, which is out of budget but then again, they do look pretty cool)

 

The Shures are not v-shaped. They have more bass than your AM-800 but are warmer and not as bright, with not nearly as much treble sparkle. 

post #12625 of 14120

These hopefully durable http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/oneill-black-sho2205bk_28/prd/en/ can be had for for 20 bucks on amazon, but not in black. Black ones cost like 3x to 4x more for some strange reason. Def worth a shot for 20 bucks. TY

post #12626 of 14120
Thread Starter 

Posted the first part of my CES impressions here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-1-klipsch-phiaton-westone-and-more/ . I went through the show trying to test out IEMs and headphones that were new to me. The first set of impressions includes IEMs from Westone and Bell'O Digital, as well as headphones from Phiaton, Klipsch, and others.

 

Cliffnotes verson - part 1

 

*Bell'O Digital had several headphones available for demo but none of them impressed me

*Klipsch's new Status over-ear cans were better, but did not keep up with the similarly-priced Sennheiser, Sony, and Phiaton cans I tried. I was able to learn about the new X11 model but neither it nor the X7 were available for demo

*Wicked Audio's new Revolt headphones felt a little cheap and didn't sound good enough for $200. Built-in DSP by Bongiovi Acoustics boosted the bass and treble.

*Phiaton's MS 430 was among the best portable headphones I tried, with clear sound, nice materials, and a reasonable price tag. The pricier MS 500 was less impressive.

*Etymotic's new HD5 model is internally identical to the ETY-Kids

*Jabra's Revo headphones feature nice construction and overwhelming bass

*Westone has a full-size headphone forthcoming. Most of the new models are rehashes of previous sets with no changes to the tuning, but feature new housings (for the universal-fit sets) and MMCX coaxial connectors. The W50 and W60 were not available for demo.

 

For full impressions and photos, see here: http://theheadphonelist.com/ces-2014-headphone-coverage-part-1-klipsch-phiaton-westone-and-more/


Edited by ljokerl - 1/12/14 at 6:49pm
post #12627 of 14120

Confirming the W50 is a universal ES50 is awesome.  Now if only JHAudio would release a universal JH13fp ;)

post #12628 of 14120
Nice to know that. Have always wanted to hear the great mids presentation people said of the ES5. Given up on custom as I faced fitting issues thus have to let go of my 8A. Any idea how much will the W50 retails for and any expected release date. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ok. Did some reading and found my answer. Thanks again.
Edited by Leo888 - 1/12/14 at 8:57pm
post #12629 of 14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo888 View Post

Nice to know that. Have always wanted to hear the great mids presentation people said of the ES5. Given up on custom as I faced fitting issues thus have to let go of my 8A. Any idea how much will the W50 retails for and any expected release date. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ok. Did some reading and found my answer. Thanks again.

I thought that was the whole point of customs. Getting a perfect fit? What kind of issues did you have just out of curiosity? 

post #12630 of 14120
Well. Let's just say the builder deem I'm the odd one out who can't be fitted with custom. After 3 refits, guess I'll call it a day and stick with universal. Though I may have better luck with another builder but not gonna take any chances. Will put the money into gears that can be easily pass on to another with the least damage to the wallet. So, let's put this behind and move on. There's a whole lot to look forward to with uiem and joker have done a stupendous job of bringing them forward for the benefit of all. Thanks for the great thread joker.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)