Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936) - Page 807

post #12091 of 14059

I listened to a basshead iem for a few days. When I got back to my neutralish iem's I missed the low end on them, they have now less/zero bass quantity. They sound little bright. This was a few days back, and the problem is still there. (I listen to music at low volume: 5-7/30.)

 

It is hearing loss at the low spectrum, or it is my brain that plays with me?


Edited by hobbyone - 11/16/13 at 8:42am
post #12092 of 14059

Have you try InEar StageDiver 2/3 ?

Will you add this brand in your review?

post #12093 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyone View Post
 

I listened to a basshead iem for a few days. When I got back to my neutralish iem's I missed the low end on them, they have now less/zero bass quantity. They sound little bright. This was a few days back, and the problem is still there. (I listen to music at low volume: 5-7/30.)

 

It is hearing loss at the low spectrum, or it is my brain that plays with me?

 

It's your brain. Spend a week listening only to your balanced earphone and when you go back to the bass-heavy one it'll sound overly bassy again - maybe not as much as before, because your expectations have changed, but more so than now.

 

This is one of the reasons headphone/audio comparisons from memory tend to be unreliable, and also one of the potential contributing factors to "burn-in". 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIVEBL View Post
 

Have you try InEar StageDiver 2/3 ?

Will you add this brand in your review?

 

Yes on both counts. The SD-2 and SD-3 are currently over at InnerFidelity being measured and reviews will be published once I get them back.

 

Just FYI, there is a partial (and very optimistic...) list of upcoming reviews on the front page of this thread:

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

(001) Upcoming Reviews

 

A list of planned reviews, in no particular order

 

Astrotec AX7

Clear Tune Monitors WLS-5

Dunu DN1000

Heir Audio 8.A (InnerFidelity review can be found here)

HiFiMan RE-600 (InnerFidelity review can be found here)

HiSoundAudio BA100

InEar StageDiver SD-2

InEar StageDiver SD-3

Moe-SS01

Noble 4C

Philips Fidelio S1 and S2 (InnerFidelity review can be found here)
Philips SHE3580

RHA MA-750

Sennheiser IE6

Sennheiser IE 800 (InnerFidelity review can be found here)

Sony MDR-7550

Thermaltake Isurus

UE700

UE Triple.Fi 10

VSonic VSD1 (Innerfidelity review can be found here)

VSonic VSD1S (Innerfidelity review can be found here)

Westone ES5 (InnerFidelity review can be found here)

 

What follows are sets in my possession that probably won't get a full review

 

AirBuds

AKG K330
AKG K370

AKG K376 (brief thoughts)

Boqari Q1

Cardas EM5813 Ear Speakers (brief thoughts)

Final Audio Design Adagio III (brief thoughts)

Harman Kardon AE (brief thoughts)

Harman Kardon NI (brief thoughts)

HiSoundAudio Golden Crystal

HiSoundAudio HiPhone HP4 (brief thoughts)

HiSoundAudio Popo

JBL J22i  (brief thoughts)

Miu-Audio MR2 PRO

Noontec Rio (brief thoughts)

Panasonic RP-HJE120

Phiaton MS 200 (brief thoughts)

PNY Midtown 200 (brief thoughts)

PNY Uptown 200 (brief thoughts)

RBH EP1 (brief thoughts)

RHA MA-150 (brief thoughts)

RHA MA-450i (brief thoughts)

Sunrise Xcited

Sunrise Xcape IE

Torque t103z (brief thoughts)

Westone Adventure Series (ADV) Alpha (brief thoughts)

XTZ EarPhone-12 (brief thoughts)

post #12094 of 14059
TF10 still on there. Keeping the hope alive.

I had some time with the Cardas recently and came away with much the same thoughts as you (missed them the first time around). It was a little disheartening.
post #12095 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

It's your brain. Spend a week listening only to your balanced earphone and when you go back to the bass-heavy one it'll sound overly bassy again - maybe not as much as before, because your expectations have changed, but more so than now.

 

This is one of the reasons headphone/audio comparisons from memory tend to be unreliable, and also one of the potential contributing factors to "burn-in". 

 

 

Yes on both counts. The SD-2 and SD-3 are currently over at InnerFidelity being measured and reviews will be published once I get them back.

 

Just FYI, there is a partial (and very optimistic...) list of upcoming reviews on the front page of this thread:

 

oh, you got the HSA BA100 too? some impressions?

post #12096 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

TF10 still on there. Keeping the hope alive.

I had some time with the Cardas recently and came away with much the same thoughts as you (missed them the first time around). It was a little disheartening.

 

Yeah... it's a very optimistic list.

 

I might revisit the Cardas someday but it's signature did not appeal to me at all. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
 

oh, you got the HSA BA100 too? some impressions?

 

Seemed to be decently-balanced and a step above most cheap BAs (e.g. Knowles Siren-based ones) in clarity and detail retrieval. However, there was something that was bothering me about the treble and it doesn't seem to live up to the claims made by HiSound about competing with much pricier sets. There are definitely single-driver BAs out there that sound better, albeit at price higher than $60 or whatever the BA100 costs. 

 

It's current over at InnerFidelity along with the StageDivers but I should have it back for review soon.

post #12097 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyone View Post
 

It is hearing loss at the low spectrum, or it is my brain that plays with me?

No worries your ears are perfect but the brain differentiates so......Also we lose the ability of hearing only on the hi frequency range over age.down from 20Khz>19,18,17,16KHz and so......Right now I have my VSD1LE doing it's burn-in course for the 90th hr while I write this and I didn't give a chance to listen to my other IEMs or HPs as it might  deviate my perception.

post #12098 of 14059
Joker, can you give me any insight into what I may gain or lose going from the GR01 to the RE-600? I always loved the mids of the RE262 and have been waiting to return to something that might give me that again. Thanks.
post #12099 of 14059

Hey Joker, could you recommend me a new IEM? I'm looking for something with elevated, thumpy bass, forward/engaging female vocals, and good clarity overall really good isolation.

From my experience so far:

-GR07 had a bit of the forward vocals I was looking for, but the bass wasn't quite strong enough. Or maybe it was just because I also felt the treble was grainy and slightly harsh. Not very good isolation.

-UE900s with bass vent blocked and 50 ohm resistor: Not quite enough bass impact for me. Treble has good smoothness, and overall pretty decent clarity, but female vocalists don't come out and grab my attention as much as I'd like. The isolation was great though.

-DN-1000s are almost perfect in the bass department, but like the UE900s they don't quite have the vocal excitement, and I find the "TWFK peak" as I'll call it around 8-10k to make some music a little sibilant. Isolation was pretty decent for having a dynamic driver.

 

Any recommendations? Ideally, cheaper is better, probably below $500?


Edited by mechgamer123 - 11/16/13 at 11:44pm
post #12100 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EraserXIV View Post

Joker, can you give me any insight into what I may gain or lose going from the GR01 to the RE-600? I always loved the mids of the RE262 and have been waiting to return to something that might give me that again. Thanks.

 

I don't have the GR01 anymore, only the VC1000, but from what I remember of it the RE-600 will be warmer, smoother, fuller-sounding, and more mid-centric overall. The treble will be more dull-sounding compared to the GR01.

 

The GR01 should be brighter, with extra treble energy, and a little thinner overall. It can be argued that a GR01 or VC1000 sound more balanced than the RE-600 due to their treble energy being greater but it'll come down to listener preferences IMO. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

Hey Joker, could you recommend me a new IEM? I'm looking for something with elevated, thumpy bass, forward/engaging female vocals, and good clarity overall really good isolation.

From my experience so far:

-GR07 had a bit of the forward vocals I was looking for, but the bass wasn't quite strong enough. Or maybe it was just because I also felt the treble was grainy and slightly harsh. Not very good isolation.

-UE900s with bass vent blocked and 50 ohm resistor: Not quite enough bass impact for me. Treble has good smoothness, and overall pretty decent clarity, but female vocalists don't come out and grab my attention as much as I'd like. The isolation was great though.

-DN-1000s are almost perfect in the bass department, but like the UE900s they don't quite have the vocal excitement, and I find the "TWFK peak" as I'll call it around 8-10k to make some music a little sibilant. Isolation was pretty decent for having a dynamic driver.

 

Any recommendations? Ideally, cheaper is better, probably below $500?

 

 

Do you have the luxury of trying before buying? If you can live with its slightly odd treble character, the Yamaha EPH-100 might a good option for you. It's got more bass, better isolation, and less treble harshness than the GR07. Obviously more bass than UE900 as well. Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time with the DN-1000 to have a strong opinion about those but they sound pretty darn good. 


Edited by ljokerl - 11/17/13 at 12:11am
post #12101 of 14059

The FA-4E XB have everything except sharp female vocals. They tend to have a more relaxed upper midrange. Paired with a cleaner source/amp however they sound better and I don't find them lacking in that apartment either. I'm using an Apex Glacier and it's a good pairing to my ears. But unless you have a source with good soundstage and good clarity/edge in upper mids, you will find them slightly too soft. But otherwise the bass is strong but controlled and the treble is, with Comply tips, controlled, detailed and fairly extended. Almost never harsh. They're better than the UE900 (which I hold in very high regards) in all departments except the versatility of pinholes and adapters.

post #12102 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
 

Hey Joker, could you recommend me a new IEM? I'm looking for something with elevated, thumpy bass, forward/engaging female vocals, and good clarity overall really good isolation.

From my experience so far:

-GR07 had a bit of the forward vocals I was looking for, but the bass wasn't quite strong enough. Or maybe it was just because I also felt the treble was grainy and slightly harsh. Not very good isolation.

-UE900s with bass vent blocked and 50 ohm resistor: Not quite enough bass impact for me. Treble has good smoothness, and overall pretty decent clarity, but female vocalists don't come out and grab my attention as much as I'd like. The isolation was great though.

-DN-1000s are almost perfect in the bass department, but like the UE900s they don't quite have the vocal excitement, and I find the "TWFK peak" as I'll call it around 8-10k to make some music a little sibilant. Isolation was pretty decent for having a dynamic driver.

 

Any recommendations? Ideally, cheaper is better, probably below $500?

Do you have the luxury of trying before buying? If you can live with its slightly odd treble character, the Yamaha EPH-100 might a good option for you. It's got more bass, better isolation, and less treble harshness than the GR07. Obviously more bass than UE900 as well. Unfortunately I haven't spent enough time with the DN-1000 to have a strong opinion about those but they sound pretty darn good. 

I actually owned the EPH-100 previously. I thought the bass was a bit too boomy, but that was coming from when I had the Brainwavz B2s, so I don't know how accurate that impression is. Also, I don't remember it being particularly exciting with female vocalists. Looking at Golden Ear's FR graphs (not that FR graphs are necessarily the most accurate things in the world, especially GE's) but it looks like there's a dip in the 4k area, which is where the female vocal range is centered, correct?

 

I like the DN-1000's sound quite a bit. The problem is that with these single flange tips: 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I don't get very good isolation, and with the bi-flange tips, I believe the spike is there a bit more. I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons yet though.

Also, the shells are a little bit too big for my ears to get a good deep insertion, even with the red 2mm spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonYeol View Post
 

The FA-4E XB have everything except sharp female vocals. They tend to have a more relaxed upper midrange. Paired with a cleaner source/amp however they sound better and I don't find them lacking in that apartment either. I'm using an Apex Glacier and it's a good pairing to my ears. But unless you have a source with good soundstage and good clarity/edge in upper mids, you will find them slightly too soft. But otherwise the bass is strong but controlled and the treble is, with Comply tips, controlled, detailed and fairly extended. Almost never harsh. They're better than the UE900 (which I hold in very high regards) in all departments except the versatility of pinholes and adapters.

I've heard good things about the fischer amps FA-4E XB, but getting them over here to the states seems like quite a bit of work. And if I don't like them, I would have a tough time returning them.

post #12103 of 14059
@ljokerl

do you find ie800 to be bargain at 700 usd?

also what will be your ranking it case of these iems?

top1 - ie800
top2 - tg334
top3 - akg k3003


thanks,

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
post #12104 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

 

I like the DN-1000's sound quite a bit. The problem is that with these single flange tips: 

 

I don't get very good isolation, and with the bi-flange tips, I believe the spike is there a bit more. I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons yet though.

Also, the shells are a little bit too big for my ears to get a good deep insertion, even with the red 2mm spacers.

 

To my ears the EPH-100 has a smaller upper midrange dip than the UE900. Maybe it's less noticeable because the overall sound isn't as flat. Not sure.

 

I haven't tried the Dunu bi-flange tips. Will see if I can dig them out when I get the DN1000 back. There might be a spacer + eartip combination that will work properly for you. I think the MEElec M6 bi-flange tips pair well with these. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkman_heart View Post

@ljokerl

do you find ie800 to be bargain at 700 usd?

also what will be your ranking it case of these iems?

top1 - ie800
top2 - tg334
top3 - akg k3003


thanks,

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

 

I don't think anything can be a "bargain" at $700 USD, except maybe the JH13, lol.

 

It's a good price if the IE 800 is your end-all sound, which it may be for some listeners but certainly not for everyone.

 

The IE800 is a nice-sounding earphone with good bandwidth and excellent clarity but it's sensitive to insertion depth and has other issues (e.g. microphonics). I like it a little more than the Ultrasone IQ, but not as much as the K3003. The K3003 actually fits my preferred sound best out of all the hyper-expensive universals. After that I would probably pick the MH334 over the IE 800. 

post #12105 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechgamer123 View Post
 

 

I like the DN-1000's sound quite a bit. The problem is that with these single flange tips: 

 

I don't get very good isolation, and with the bi-flange tips, I believe the spike is there a bit more. I haven't done any direct A/B comparisons yet though.

Also, the shells are a little bit too big for my ears to get a good deep insertion, even with the red 2mm spacers.

 

To my ears the EPH-100 has a smaller upper midrange dip than the UE900. Maybe it's less noticeable because the overall sound isn't as flat. Not sure.

 

I haven't tried the Dunu bi-flange tips. Will see if I can dig them out when I get the DN1000 back. There might be a spacer + eartip combination that will work properly for you. I think the MEElec M6 bi-flange tips pair well with these. 

Hmm, maybe I'll have to look a pair of EPH-100s to demo then.

Thanks. I only have one pair of MEElec tri-flange tips that I cut off the third tip to, which I use for my UE900s. I will give those a try tomorrow.

 

What do you think about the 1964 V3s fitting my requirements? Their Portland office is only a three hour drive away, and I could conceivably go down there and demo them.


Edited by mechgamer123 - 11/17/13 at 2:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)