Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936) - Page 756

post #11326 of 14059

Thank you very much Joker
 

post #11327 of 14059

Hi Joker,

 

First off, thanks a lot for this wonderful resource of information. I have used it to pick an IEM in the past - the Xears 200 Pro. That was 1 1/2 years ago, and it has served me well. The sound was a big step up (coming from a Creative EP 630). However, like all other IEMs before it, the cable gave yesterday. One of the earpieces has stopped working. A sad day, but exciting as well - time for a new set!

 

I have decided to spend a little more $$$ this time - I set my max at about 100 euros, although less is better. My picks:

- Shure SE215. ~100 euro. I LOVE the fact that, once the cable undoubtedly breaks, I can just get a new cable for 20 euro.

- Monster Turbine. ~100 euro. They look fantastic, but is the sound quality up to par?

- VSonic GR07. ~130 euro. Too expensive... but a lot of people seem to love them.

- Brainwavz B2. ~120 euro. Also too expensive, and they look kinda cheap on images.

(One euro is 1.33 US dollar. Prices are higher here than in America, sadly.)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, especially on these Q's:

- How significant is the quality difference between my 50$ Xears, going to the SE215 and then the GR07. Is the quality difference significant? (The price difference is...)

- I listen to all kinds of music: from classical to pop to hiphop to electronic. Will the Brainwavz be too analytical / bass-less?

- Am I missing any good contenders?

- Most importantly, which would you recommend most?

 

... but mostly I am just interested to hear your thoughts!

 

Thanks a lot in advance. Also, you should post a Paypal account, I'll buy you a beer. :)

MM


Edited by Mad Maniak - 8/27/13 at 2:14pm
post #11328 of 14059

1 This is the Best forum on the whole headfi.

 

2 I am currently using a fx-700 but i cant deal with the "foggy" mids anymore. also the bass is too much for me.  tried the yamaha eph100s but hate the treble (also the bass is still a little to much- although they have more "energy" than the fx700). What can you recommend? (200-300$ price range, but will go up to 500$ if necessary or worth the upgrade)

 

3 This is the Best forum on the whole headfi.

post #11329 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maniak View Post

Hi Joker,

 

First off, thanks a lot for this wonderful resource of information. I have used it to pick an IEM in the past - the Xears 200 Pro. That was 1 1/2 years ago, and it has served me well. The sound was a big step up (coming from a Creative EP 630). However, like all other IEMs before it, the cable gave yesterday. One of the earpieces has stopped working. A sad day, but exciting as well - time for a new set!

 

I have decided to spend a little more $$$ this time - I set my max at about 100 euros, although less is better. My picks:

- Shure SE215. ~100 euro. I LOVE the fact that, once the cable undoubtedly breaks, I can just get a new cable for 20 euro.

- Monster Turbine. ~100 euro. They look fantastic, but is the sound quality up to par?

- VSonic GR07. ~130 euro. Too expensive... but a lot of people seem to love them.

- Brainwavz B2. ~120 euro. Also too expensive, and they look kinda cheap on images.

(One euro is 1.33 US dollar. Prices are higher here than in America, sadly.)

 

I would really like to hear your thoughts, especially on these Q's:

- How significant is the quality difference between my 50$ Xears, going to the SE215 and then the GR07. Is the quality difference significant? (The price difference is...)

- I listen to all kinds of music: from classical to pop to hiphop to electronic. Will the Brainwavz be too analytical / bass-less?

- Am I missing any good contenders?

- Most importantly, which would you recommend most?

 

... but mostly I am just interested to hear your thoughts!

 

Thanks a lot in advance. Also, you should post a Paypal account, I'll buy you a beer. :)

MM

 

Thanks biggrin.gif

 

I think the Xears fall significantly short of a top-tier earphones such as the GR07 when it comes to clarity and overall balance. They are good at pumping out bass and still give you pretty decent mids and highs but nothing like the accuracy the GR07 is capable of. If you go for the GR07 you'll probably want the Bass Edition, by the way.

 

If you want to stick to your budget I would definitely take the Shures over the Turbine (for both durability and sound quality). 

 

As for the B2, it most likely will be a shock coming from the bass-heavy Creatives and bass-heavy Xears. 

 

You are also missing a lot of mid-level (below GR07 but above the SE215) contenders such as the JVC FXT90 and Yamaha EPH-100. It may be because they are not available in your area, of course. By the way, you can get a pretty good approximation of the GR07 sound signature with the VSonic VSD1 at a much lower price. I think these compete with the SE215 quite easily and are better than the Xears and the Turbine as long as you're willing to give up some bass quantity. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by docked seaman View Post

1 This is the Best forum on the whole headfi.

 

2 I am currently using a fx-700 but i cant deal with the "foggy" mids anymore. also the bass is too much for me.  tried the yamaha eph100s but hate the treble (also the bass is still a little to much- although they have more "energy" than the fx700). What can you recommend? (200-300$ price range, but will go up to 500$ if necessary or worth the upgrade)

 

3 This is the Best forum on the whole headfi.

 

beerchug.gif

 

Sounds like you just want something relatively accurate with punchy but tight bass. I would probably go for the GR07 Bass Edition from VSonic (unless the treble of the EPH-100/FX700 was too energetic for you, in which case I take that back). If you want to spend more the EarSonics SM64 may be a good option, with good bass, more (lower) midrange emphasis, and less energetic treble compared to the GR07.

post #11330 of 14059

The problem I have with IEM is they never last long. I've had 2 x Beyer DTX101, Yuin PK2, Audio Technica and they've all developed a cable fault within a year. My GF is now in the market for a new IEM since her 20 month old Phonak IEM have developed an problem.

 

Is there such a thing as a solid, well built IEM?
 

post #11331 of 14059

Hi all

 

So I've been buying £10-20 IEMs for the past few years, for them all to either break or get lost within a few months.

I want an IEM that would give me a balanced sound, and one that I would want to keep for a long time without having to keep changing the pair.

I was looking at the Sennheiser CX 400, the Klipsch S4i, and the Sony MDRX50 - these are all around the £50 bracket - but as mentioned, the highest I will go is around the £100 if I'm paying for a great pair.

 

I listen to literally everything. Rock/Jazz/Hip-hop/Dance/R&B/Blues/Easy listening, you name it.

I don't really care too much about aesthetics, just great sound.

 

All advice is welcomed, thanks!

 
post #11332 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post

 

Thanks biggrin.gif

 

I think the Xears fall significantly short of a top-tier earphones such as the GR07 when it comes to clarity and overall balance. They are good at pumping out bass and still give you pretty decent mids and highs but nothing like the accuracy the GR07 is capable of. If you go for the GR07 you'll probably want the Bass Edition, by the way.

 

If you want to stick to your budget I would definitely take the Shures over the Turbine (for both durability and sound quality). 

 

As for the B2, it most likely will be a shock coming from the bass-heavy Creatives and bass-heavy Xears. 

 

You are also missing a lot of mid-level (below GR07 but above the SE215) contenders such as the JVC FXT90 and Yamaha EPH-100. It may be because they are not available in your area, of course. By the way, you can get a pretty good approximation of the GR07 sound signature with the VSonic VSD1 at a much lower price. I think these compete with the SE215 quite easily and are better than the Xears and the Turbine as long as you're willing to give up some bass quantity. 

 

Fantastic advice, thanks!

Out of the VSonic VSD1 and VSD1S, which has your preference and why?

 

I may still go for the Shure SE215, just for the security of detachable cables... Then again, they are twice (!) as expensive as the VSD1(S)... Decision, decisions!

post #11333 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

The problem I have with IEM is they never last long. I've had 2 x Beyer DTX101, Yuin PK2, Audio Technica and they've all developed a cable fault within a year. My GF is now in the market for a new IEM since her 20 month old Phonak IEM have developed an problem.

Is there such a thing as a solid, well built IEM?

 

Phonak has a 2 year warranty. You can get that replaced.
post #11334 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post


Phonak has a 2 year warranty. You can get that replaced.

 

Thank you. Yes, Amazon will be providing a full refund. I'm rather hesitant to be going Phonak again and was looking for alternatives.

post #11335 of 14059
Hey joker

You refer to the EPH100 as mid end and the Gr07 as high end. How much of an upgrade are the GR07 bass edition over the EPH100. And how much does their bass quantity differ by?
post #11336 of 14059
@ ljokerl Between the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet and the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5vi which one would you choose for good soundstage, instrument separation and overall better balanced sound signature? Both can be purchased for $60-$70 nowadays, and I am just looking for a replacement as a daily pair of IEM to my MEElectronics CC-51P when I am at work. Thanks!
Edited by Tommy C - 8/28/13 at 2:11pm
post #11337 of 14059
Quote:
Originally Posted by awaish View Post

Hi all

 

So I've been buying £10-20 IEMs for the past few years, for them all to either break or get lost within a few months.

I want an IEM that would give me a balanced sound, and one that I would want to keep for a long time without having to keep changing the pair.

I was looking at the Sennheiser CX 400, the Klipsch S4i, and the Sony MDRX50 - these are all around the £50 bracket - but as mentioned, the highest I will go is around the £100 if I'm paying for a great pair.

 

I listen to literally everything. Rock/Jazz/Hip-hop/Dance/R&B/Blues/Easy listening, you name it.

I don't really care too much about aesthetics, just great sound.

 

All advice is welcomed, thanks!

 

 

          get the xb90ex , i had the cx 400 was one of my fav back in 2009 . or for a bit more of a analytical listening meelec a161p , ue600 jvc fxd80 are there , for fun sound there are shure se215 , xb90ex , ue400/500 , wooduo 2 , and many more . i would suggest you to try a xb90ex , they are i think what you need .

post #11338 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodflowerz View Post

The problem I have with IEM is they never last long. I've had 2 x Beyer DTX101, Yuin PK2, Audio Technica and they've all developed a cable fault within a year. My GF is now in the market for a new IEM since her 20 month old Phonak IEM have developed an problem.

 

Is there such a thing as a solid, well built IEM?
 

 

Sure: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/headphones/oneill-black-sho2200bk_28/prd/en/

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awaish View Post

Hi all

 

So I've been buying £10-20 IEMs for the past few years, for them all to either break or get lost within a few months.

I want an IEM that would give me a balanced sound, and one that I would want to keep for a long time without having to keep changing the pair.

I was looking at the Sennheiser CX 400, the Klipsch S4i, and the Sony MDRX50 - these are all around the £50 bracket - but as mentioned, the highest I will go is around the £100 if I'm paying for a great pair.

 

I listen to literally everything. Rock/Jazz/Hip-hop/Dance/R&B/Blues/Easy listening, you name it.

I don't really care too much about aesthetics, just great sound.

 

All advice is welcomed, thanks!

 

I don't know about the others but the S4i is not a balanced-sounding earphone. Try an LG Quadbeat or VSonic VSD1 - still a little on the v-shaped side but better than the S4, and cheaper as well. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maniak View Post

Fantastic advice, thanks!

Out of the VSonic VSD1 and VSD1S, which has your preference and why?

 

I may still go for the Shure SE215, just for the security of detachable cables... Then again, they are twice (!) as expensive as the VSD1(S)... Decision, decisions!

 

I hadn't had a chance to A:B them until now. They are quite similar. The VSD1 seems a little more v-shaped and reminds me more of the GR07 Bass Edition. As a result of the v-shape it appears to emphasize the bass more and seems to have a slightly wider presentation. The VSD1S seems less v-shaped/more mid-focused. The good thing about this is that there is less sibilance. They both have their advantages but I guess the sibilance is the one thing that bothers me about VSonic IEMs so at this point I'd have to take the 1S.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prakhar View Post

Hey joker

You refer to the EPH100 as mid end and the Gr07 as high end. How much of an upgrade are the GR07 bass edition over the EPH100. And how much does their bass quantity differ by?

 

In that case I just meant that the EPH-100 and FXT90 slot below the GR07s in price. In performance they are not far behind the VSonics at all. In terms of bass quantity there's a difference, though - the EPH-100 is significantly bassier. It's a bigger difference than between the regular GR07 and the GR07 Bass Edition.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post

@ ljokerl Between the Fischer Audio Silver Bullet and the Ultimate Ears Superfi 5vi which one would you choose for good soundstage, instrument separation and overall better balanced sound signature? Both can be purchased for $60-$70 nowadays, and I am just looking for a replacement as a daily pair of IEM to my MEElectronics CC-51P when I am at work. Thanks!

 

The SF5, assuming it sounds the same as my UE600. Coming from the more v-shaped CC51 you'll find it to be a much more mid-centric earphone but it does have a decent soundsage, good separation, and very good overall balance. 

post #11339 of 14059

Hey Joker, I noticed that you like to suggest the LG Quadbeats frequently for a good V-Shaped headphone for its price. Is there a reason why you haven't added it to your Earphone Buyer's Guide on your website? And will you update the guide or is there no reason to do so at the moment?

post #11340 of 14059
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr0waway View Post

Hey Joker, I noticed that you like to suggest the LG Quadbeats frequently for a good V-Shaped headphone for its price. Is there a reason why you haven't added it to your Earphone Buyer's Guide on your website? And will you update the guide or is there no reason to do so at the moment?

 

Indeed - the reason I didn't add it to the guide is that I couldn't neatly categorize it. To me it's somewhere between "balanced" and "v-shaped" as they are currently defined by the guide. It's close to balanced, but still not at the level of the VSonic VC02 or an Ety. At the same time, it's doesn't have as much bass as the sets I have categorized under "v-shaped". It's unfortunate but it's bound to happen when you try to pidgeonhole a whole bunch of different earphones into a few sound categories.

 

And, I updated the guide very recently to put the Ety-Kids in there wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (NarMoo R1M added 07/03/14 p. 936)