Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945) - Page 922

post #13816 of 14186

ljoker , can you please put a suggestion , either here or on this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722687/iem-choice-upgrade

on what I should upgrade my ie8 and ck100 into ? I am using the x5 as a source

post #13817 of 14186
Well.. My ue600's.. Yea they broke. This has literally happened with the past 5 or 6 headphones I have purchased. It's a cable issue, like I twist and turn it and sound sometimes comes out, but the sound only cuts out on the right side, not the left. The only headphones I have still have working are my Monoprice 9927's (black version of the 8320) which have been throught the washer, dryer, dog bites, and literally drenched/submerged in coke for a few hours. Anybody know what can be the cause of the sound cutting out? I have been "babying" the ue600's as well so idk :/
post #13818 of 14186
Hi Joker. I had read your thread since 2011 and has managed to make fabulous purchases such as the MD Tributes then the Ortofon e-Q7 and finally the FX700.

I am just curious if you have heard the current FX850s and your comments & impressions of them. Thanks in advance. Cheers!
post #13819 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsG View Post

Well.. My ue600's.. Yea they broke. This has literally happened with the past 5 or 6 headphones I have purchased. It's a cable issue, like I twist and turn it and sound sometimes comes out, but the sound only cuts out on the right side, not the left. The only headphones I have still have working are my Monoprice 9927's (black version of the 8320) which have been throught the washer, dryer, dog bites, and literally drenched/submerged in coke for a few hours. Anybody know what can be the cause of the sound cutting out? I have been "babying" the ue600's as well so idk :/

 

have you tried wiping the headphone plugs and use cotton swab to clean inside the headphone jack? There maybe oil or residue that is preventing a good contact.

post #13820 of 14186

Hi Joker

 

I'm curious more than anything.  What would you think would be a good upgrade to the old westone 3?  I've heard westone 2 (great apart from a lack of bass)klipsch x10, tf10.  Was just looking for something a little more off the beaten path.

 

Listen to Rock, metal and audiobooks.  The only thing is they must be excellent isolators as I use these at work (either out of a ipod classic or a sansa clip plus) to keep my self some what sane.

 

No real budget but lower the better.

 

I've gone through (in my head,no purchases) everything from the likes of the earsonics se6 universal, 1964 ears v6 universals (taxes put me off here) stagedivers 2 and 3 (afraid off too much bass in 3 and too little in 2), then I go nuts and start thinking about the unique melody mentor and roxanne (mentor unlikely and the roxanne just looks too big for my ears!).

 

Thanks

post #13821 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clearhead View Post
 

Hello

Joker,

 

What's the best IEM I can purchase without going for broke?

 

1. I'm looking for tight and noticeable deep sub-bass (not necessarily a bass-head type)

 

2. Clear and liquid-like sounding mids'

 

3. Finally, clear and analytical treble (not dry)

 

-A mild V shape is the idealistic sound I had in mind

 

.....I thought about the Dunu DN-1000 (triple driver hybrid), if paying in the $200 dollar range.

 

But, I'm trying to shoot under $50 dollars (or only above $50 if any BA's are worth getting that could provide all of the above).

 

 

-Some ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!

(*Thank you for replying through a different thread....)

 

Wow! Great to hear your helpful and supportive comments!

 

It's ironic that out of the Vsonic that I carry the VSD1S is not in my collection.

 

Now, I will make it my mission to add these to my collection.

 

Many thanks! This will do!  :wink_face:

post #13822 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post

have you tried wiping the headphone plugs and use cotton swab to clean inside the headphone jack? There maybe oil or residue that is preventing a good contact.
Nope, and I already tried on multiple sources: phone, computer, etc
Edit: at the L-shaped plug, where the cable itself comes out, it seems a bit stretched/bent as if it was pulled out and then put back
Edited by SebsG - 6/11/14 at 7:16pm
post #13823 of 14186

Hi ljokerl,

Thanks for all your advice!!

 

I've been going through quite a few pages but I can't find anything that answer my issue: I quite enjoy the Momentum on ear and would like to find something similar in iems.....any suggestion (possibly at half the price of the MOE).

I have and enjoy the Sony MH1c. Unfortunately they keep slipping off my ears which makes it a bit tricky to listen to....:bigsmile_face:

 

Thanks again for your suggestions!

post #13824 of 14186

Hi,

 

I have the Hifiman RE-600 and love it. I am looking for another pair of universal IEMs. I prefer a balanced presentation with nice treble extension, good mid-range and deep accurate bass. Basically a slight V shaped sound signature.

What would your recommendation be for universal IEMs below $600? Customs are not an option for me.

post #13825 of 14186
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteebin View Post
 

 

 

 

 

How about the Yamaha EPH-100? strong bass, small form factor, good build quality. No mic/controls. $110 on Amazon.

 

Definitely a good option. Didn't realize they were down to $110. I'd be careful buying them on sale due to counterfeits but if it's sold by amazon it should be fine.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEars View Post
 

Once again, Mr. Joker's review lines up with mine, and joker's got to be the most honest and trustable reviewer on headfi.  You have to tread headfi carefully because you will run into lots of hype and possibly scammers posting that get's paid for only writing positive things.  Joker has much experience, low-fi to hi.

 

Joker, I've noticed that NT-6 is sensitive to source.  NT-6 can be extremely clear and detail, or sound like any other iem depending on the source.  Have you tried several sources?  I found that if you match it with the right source, it would push out some unbelievable sound, dynamic imaging is ridiculous.  My top three sources are DX100, ODAC/O2 combo, and Fiio X5.  Maybe your ranking would go up even more if you try it with the right source?

 

I don't know how much room for improvement there is on top of the HM-901 with IEM card - I've tried the AK120, DX50, X3 and didn't think either was better than the 901. Plus, there's not much room for growth in the NT-6's score anyway - it's 2nd overall :p

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1clearhead View Post
 

Hello

Joker,

 

What's the best IEM I can purchase without going for broke?

 

1. I'm looking for tight and noticeable deep sub-bass (not necessarily a bass-head type)

 

2. Clear and liquid-like sounding mids'

 

3. Finally, clear and analytical treble (not dry)

 

-A mild V shape is the idealistic sound I had in mind

 

.....I thought about the Dunu DN-1000 (triple driver hybrid), if paying in the $200 dollar range.

 

But, I'm trying to shoot under $50 dollars (or only above $50 if any BA's are worth getting that could provide all of the above).

 

 

-Some ideas would be great! Thanks in advance!

 

My reply, for posterity:

 

Quote:
Sure, but that's a lot of stuff you want for $50. You'll have to compromise just a little bit - either with the VSonic VSD1S, which is v-shaped and very clear with crisp treble but doesn't have the best deep bass extension, or with the SteelSeries Flux, which is less v-shaped and has better bass extension, but lacks a little bit of midrange clarity and "liquid-ness" compared to the VSD1S.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrias View Post
 

ljoker , can you please put a suggestion , either here or on this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722687/iem-choice-upgrade

on what I should upgrade my ie8 and ck100 into ? I am using the x5 as a source

 

I would say EarSonics SM64 based on those requirements. Not having tried the SD-3S (the new small version) I'm not sure how it fares in comfort but I've never had a problem wearing the EarSonics for hours. They tick the other boxes, too - good deep bass but not IE8 levels, warm sound, pretty easy-going overall considering it's a high-end BA monitor, and so on.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendric View Post

Hi Joker. I had read your thread since 2011 and has managed to make fabulous purchases such as the MD Tributes then the Ortofon e-Q7 and finally the FX700.

I am just curious if you have heard the current FX850s and your comments & impressions of them. Thanks in advance. Cheers!

 

Haven't had a chance to try these - the last new JVC release I got my hands on was the FXD80.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotton View Post
 

Hi Joker

 

I'm curious more than anything.  What would you think would be a good upgrade to the old westone 3?  I've heard westone 2 (great apart from a lack of bass)klipsch x10, tf10.  Was just looking for something a little more off the beaten path.

 

Listen to Rock, metal and audiobooks.  The only thing is they must be excellent isolators as I use these at work (either out of a ipod classic or a sansa clip plus) to keep my self some what sane.

 

No real budget but lower the better.

 

I've gone through (in my head,no purchases) everything from the likes of the earsonics se6 universal, 1964 ears v6 universals (taxes put me off here) stagedivers 2 and 3 (afraid off too much bass in 3 and too little in 2), then I go nuts and start thinking about the unique melody mentor and roxanne (mentor unlikely and the roxanne just looks too big for my ears!).

 

Thanks

 

The W3 is pretty unique in signature. The 1964-V3 and V6-Stage do come to mind, albeit with the same reservations you have about the StageDivers - the V6-Stage is pretty flat in the bass region (a-la SD-2) while the V3 is quite bass-heavy (but slightly more balanced than the SD-3 nonetheless). Could be a case where neither one hits your goldilocks zone. 

 

The rarely-mentioned Ultrasone IQ reminded me of the W3 in many ways - strong bass, strong treble, some dryness/analytical tendencies in the mids and treble, not bright despite treble energy, and so on. With some simple mods it actually sounds very good. Ditto on the discontinued Phonak PFE 232 - it's very similar, and doesn't require modding, but isolation is a little worse and the mids never sound quite as good. 

 

Two more cheap(er) options I would consider trying: GR07 BE and DN-1000. Neither really channels the W3 but they're strong performers, especially considering the cost. Isolation could be better but it's not terrible.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsG View Post


Nope, and I already tried on multiple sources: phone, computer, etc
Edit: at the L-shaped plug, where the cable itself comes out, it seems a bit stretched/bent as if it was pulled out and then put back

 

The internal wire is most likely broken. If you have a soldering iron you can fix this by snipping off a bit of the cable and putting on a new plug.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfinn View Post
 

Hi ljokerl,

Thanks for all your advice!!

 

I've been going through quite a few pages but I can't find anything that answer my issue: I quite enjoy the Momentum on ear and would like to find something similar in iems.....any suggestion (possibly at half the price of the MOE).

I have and enjoy the Sony MH1c. Unfortunately they keep slipping off my ears which makes it a bit tricky to listen to....:bigsmile_face:

 

Thanks again for your suggestions!

 

MH1C would have been my first choice in that price range. Have you considered just getting new eartips for it instead? Foam tips should solve your problem. 

 

If you go up to ~100-150 in price, there are a few options such as the Yamaha EPH-100 (bassier, but not hugely so). The Shure SE215 is another option that's less expensive and similar in signature. The Phonak 012, if you can find it, would also be a solid choice - not as bassy as the EPH-100, SE215, or MH1C but still smooth and warm-sounding, and very good overall. Great fit and comfort, too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolo View Post
 

Hi,

 

I have the Hifiman RE-600 and love it. I am looking for another pair of universal IEMs. I prefer a balanced presentation with nice treble extension, good mid-range and deep accurate bass. Basically a slight V shaped sound signature.

What would your recommendation be for universal IEMs below $600? Customs are not an option for me.

 

 

Couple of options I would read up on:

 

Dunu DN-2000: hybrid earphone with a less v-shaped signature compared to the cheaper DN-1000 but still no lack of bass impact or treble. Relatively inexpensive at ~$315 and would make for a good RE-600 compliment IMO

EarSonics SM64: has deep bass and a warm tone, with strong mids and slightly relaxed treble. Not quite v-shaped, but it's halfway there. It's warmer than the RE-600 and would make for an interesting change. The Westone W40 is not too different, but has less deep bass emphasis and slightly darker tone overall

Lear LUF-4F: v-shaped quad-BA earphone. Has more bass than RE-600 and bright, crisp, extended treble with lots of upper midrange energy. Mids sound clearer than W40 (for example) despite v-shaped signature. There are two other versions as well, one with more bass and one with more treble.

Olasonic Flat-4 Nami: very clear-sounding earphones with a mildly v-shaped signature. Very tight bass and even brighter than LUF-4F (closer to the LUF-4C, which has emphasized treble).

post #13826 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

Couple of options I would read up on:

 

Dunu DN-2000: hybrid earphone with a less v-shaped signature compared to the cheaper DN-1000 but still no lack of bass impact or treble. Relatively inexpensive at ~$315 and would make for a good RE-600 compliment IMO

EarSonics SM64: has deep bass and a warm tone, with strong mids and slightly relaxed treble. Not quite v-shaped, but it's halfway there. It's warmer than the RE-600 and would make for an interesting change. The Westone W40 is not too different, but has less deep bass emphasis and slightly darker tone overall

Lear LUF-4F: v-shaped quad-BA earphone. Has more bass than RE-600 and bright, crisp, extended treble with lots of upper midrange energy. Mids sound clearer than W40 (for example) despite v-shaped signature. There are two other versions as well, one with more bass and one with more treble.

Olasonic Flat-4 Nami: very clear-sounding earphones with a mildly v-shaped signature. Very tight bass and even brighter than LUF-4F (closer to the LUF-4C, which has emphasized treble).

Thanks for the response. The Earsonics sound interesting.

On another note:Have you heard the Sennheiser IE800. A guy i know is asking for $650 for an almost new pair?

post #13827 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljokerl View Post
 

 

 

I would say EarSonics SM64 based on those requirements. Not having tried the SD-3S (the new small version) I'm not sure how it fares in comfort but I've never had a problem wearing the EarSonics for hours. They tick the other boxes, too - good deep bass but not IE8 levels, warm sound, pretty easy-going overall considering it's a high-end BA monitor, and so on.

 

 

thanks for the answer joker , I tried the stagedivers , and I feel there is something cut off on the SD3, and somehow prefer the SD2. Didnt quite like the SM64 either, I think I should give the SDs another listen at the store , to find out which one of the two I like best. the comfort is pretty fine on the stagediver

post #13828 of 14186

MH1C would have been my first choice in that price range. Have you considered just getting new eartips for it instead? Foam tips should solve your problem. 

 

If you go up to ~100-150 in price, there are a few options such as the Yamaha EPH-100 (bassier, but not hugely so). The Shure SE215 is another option that's less expensive and similar in signature. The Phonak 012, if you can find it, would also be a solid choice - not as bassy as the EPH-100, SE215, or MH1C but still smooth and warm-sounding, and very good overall. Great fit and comfort, too.

 

 

Many many thnx!

I'll have a look into those.

 

The problem with the MH1C is also, forgot to mention, that they "don't work" with my ALO RX. Unless I keep the little "button" pressed all the time.....no problem if I use the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII though.....:blink::blink::cool: 

post #13829 of 14186
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckfinn View Post

Quote:
MH1C would have been my first choice in that price range. Have you considered just getting new eartips for it instead? Foam tips should solve your problem. 

If you go up to ~100-150 in price, there are a few options such as the Yamaha EPH-100 (bassier, but not hugely so). The Shure SE215 is another option that's less expensive and similar in signature. The Phonak 012, if you can find it, would also be a solid choice - not as bassy as the EPH-100, SE215, or MH1C but still smooth and warm-sounding, and very good overall. Great fit and comfort, too.

Many many thnx!
I'll have a look into those.

The problem with the MH1C is also, forgot to mention, that they "don't work" with my ALO RX. Unless I keep the little "button" pressed all the time.....no problem if I use the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII though.....blink.gifblink.gifcool.gif  

Recable and try over ear? I always wore my MH1C over ear despite cable. I got better sound with a deeper fit. More controlled bass and clearer treble. If you really push them into your ears they should stay. The new hybrids are among the easiest to get a seal with that I've tried.
post #13830 of 14186

Hi to all! :)

 

I need your help.

I want a budget IEM that would be very very comfortable (weight light and tiny house), something also to sleep with! Having the microphone and with the better sound at less than 50$.

 

I've seen something like Philips SHE 3595, very budget but I wonder if they have wood quality sound?

The perfect IEM with these characteristics seems the Sony XBA-1 ip.. very good looking, budget and with a balanced armature!! 

 

Do you have other suggestions?

 

Thank you :)

 

 

 

P.S. I have the Martin Logan Mikros 90, Shure SE215 s.e. and the Sony MH1c. The best is ML90.


Edited by Ardian - 6/13/14 at 3:30am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Multi-IEM Review - 318 IEMs compared (Impressions of DN-2000, Altone200, Fidue A83 added p. 945)